• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Where Does Your Loyalty Lie?

• Kyrian

Votes: 143 20.2%
  • Necrolords

Votes: 127 17.9%
  • Night Fae

Votes: 247 34.9%
  • Venthyr

Votes: 191 27.0%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Beardlini

Oct 28, 2017
A system that arbitrarily rewards 1 of 3 supposedly equal options for no reason isn't a good system. Choice would exist if theyre fairly balanced, anyways.

Rhaknar

Oct 26, 2017
I'm not sure I follow entirely... you're talking about how a Renown level will unlock the next trait for only a single Soulbind and not all three of them, right?

The "trouble" I'm referring to is mostly with Conduits, what other specs you play, and how you might use your Soulbinds.

You can "deem it better" by using your own judgement, or sims. :P

As an example of what I'm talking about: I normally run Niya for my tanking Soulbind, but Korayn is very good too and I'll swap to her for certain situations. During the first week of the patch, Korayn unlocked another Potency conduit and Niya didn't, so I swapped over to Korayn for that week, and then swapped back to Niya for the next week when she unlocked her additional Potency conduit.

forme it's weird you being fine with that tho, you said it yourself, you had to change for no reason other "one thing didnt unlock at the same time as the other". I get not bothering you or rolling with it or whatever, but agreeing with it?

A system that arbitrarily rewards 1 of 3 supposedly equal options for no reason isn't a good system.

Exactly.

Choice would exist if theyre fairly balanced, anyways.

that's another can of worms in itself.

Last edited:

ToTheMoon

Oct 27, 2017
Yeah, idk, it makes sense to me. The Soulbinds are meant to have similar appeal once they're fully unlocked, but that doesn't mean they keep parity all the way through. When you first picked up Soulbinds (months ago, at like Renown 2) and only had the earliest traits available, your Soulbind calculus might have been different than once you had fully unlocked them (example: Dreamweaver getting a power spike from unlocking his second Potency early, even though Niya is the single target DPS Soulbind for most people once fully unlocked).

I also didn't "have" to change to Korayn in my example. The values that I use to make my choices just temporarily changed for one week, and it was up to me what to do with that information. TBH I don't even remember if I actually bothered to change to Korayn since it was the awkward pre-season week, but I definitely noted it as an option. My third best Potency conduit is small enough that, if I had been using Korayn for something else, I probably would have actively made the decision to not bother reshuffling everything for only one week.

It might just be a difference with how we view Soulbinds. You compared them to class specs (a "character defining" choice that you typically dedicate yourself to), but I see them more as "tactical" options that I might change for different fights, M+ affixes, or PvP comps. Their individual values are changing all the time, so having them progress at slightly different rates feels like a natural extension of the sorts of decision making that the system is already built for.

We'll just agree to disagree. :D I can see how, if you view Soulbinds as something you want to "lock in", then having them progress at different rates would feel weird and go against that.

(I guess this goes back to my earlier post on how different players view the game differently, lol.)

Last edited:

Demeisen

Mar 11, 2021
there's plenty of other things too. Remember the SHITSTORM over some abilities no longer being off the GCD? FF14 is ripe with those, but even worse (it's one of the few things that still bothers me about that game and makes it hard to transition between both), the GCD there is 2 seconds long. But hey it's fine there, it's not wow m I rite.

The reason for the controversy was that WoW changed most cooldowns from being off-GCD to being on-GCD. The resistance was to the change, not to on-GCD cooldowns existing in the first place. I think the players were largely right to complain there, given that this behaviour for many of these cooldowns were subsequently reverted in Shadowlands - though we're now in a situation where there are bizarre inconsistencies across classes and specs (e.g. why is Pillar of Frost off-GCD but Dark Transformation is on-GCD?).

Oct 25, 2017
Once I get my steam deck (Q1 2022) I am going to install wow on it and work on configuring the controller to work for it lol.... bad idea? Or genius level? I think I could get by some light gaming on it. Nothing serious like raiding I would imagine. But I am pretty sure a customized controller set up could easily handle all the inputs.

Or I could just plug a mouse and keyboard into it lol... I got an extra mechanical keyboard... would just need another mouse.

PepeElToro

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Echo was so damn close to killing Mythic Sylvannas just now. 51.2%. What a great World First Race this has been

Royalan

I can say DEI; you can't.
Oct 24, 2017
Just tuned in, they thought they had her down but apparently you have to get her health lower in mythic?

The stream went wild. lol

Somnia

Chicken Chaser
Oct 25, 2017
Just tuned in, they thought they had her down but apparently you have to get her health lower in mythic?

The stream went wild. lol

Ya apparently you have to get her to 45% on Mythic, in the patch notes it mentioned how her health to win was lowered by 5% on Normal and Heroic but no one caught it.

Tbm24

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Mythic Sylvanas looks insane movement and positioning wise. I'll never experience her on Mythic but it looks so fun.

ToTheMoon

Oct 27, 2017
Finished up Normal SoD last night and got 4 down in Heroic. I'm up to 3 Domination Sockets also, so that's exciting! (Though I don't have a completed set bonus yet.)

The difficulty curve for SoD is definitely funky. Normal mode was something like Fatescribe > Painsmith > Kel'Thuzad = Sylvanas >> Everyone else.

Sylvanas was fun, though I can definitely see how P2 will get tiring when you're trying to prog on Heroic P3.

Last edited:

JetBlackPanda

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Echo Base
Once I get my steam deck (Q1 2022) I am going to install wow on it and work on configuring the controller to work for it lol.... bad idea? Or genius level? I think I could get by some light gaming on it. Nothing serious like raiding I would imagine. But I am pretty sure a customized controller set up could easily handle all the inputs.

Or I could just plug a mouse and keyboard into it lol... I got an extra mechanical keyboard... would just need another mouse.

Wow I will keep using moonlight on my ipad with the apple keyboard and mouse but FF14 is gonna be all up on my steam deck.

PepeElToro

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Damn, Limit got her down to 45.8%. This is race is so damn good.

Echo's best pull was 46.4%

Rhaknar

Oct 26, 2017
another one for the "butwhy.gif" board, apparently the freebie to go back to a previous covenant (aka bypassing the proving your worth quests) was only active on the first week of 9.1, as I had to do it this week to go back to kyrian >_>

B-Dubs

That's some catch, that catch-22
On Break
Oct 25, 2017
Looks like Echo wins

www.wowhead.com

Echo Claims World First Mythic Sylvanas Windrunner Kill

After 169 pulls, Echo has conquered the final 5% and claimed the World First Mythic Sylvanas Windrunner kill and Sanctum of Domination clear. Congratulations to them!

another one for the "butwhy.gif" board, apparently the freebie to go back to a previous covenant (aka bypassing the proving your worth quests) was only active on the first week of 9.1, as I had to do it this week to go back to kyrian >_>
Huh? I literally did that yesterday. That's weird. I even managed to catch all the way up in renoun.

Last edited:

Gohlad

Avenger
Oct 28, 2017
Echo killed Sylvanas! And what a clean pull it was. That was probably one of the most perfect plays I've ever seen. They had no deaths and 4 br's up in the end. GG to all the guilds, what a race it was!

Rhaknar

Oct 26, 2017
Huh? I literally did that yesterday. That's weird. I even managed to catch all the way up in renoun.

went back to a old covenant you mean? Well I went to talk to the Kyrian guy earlier this week and he just gave me the usual "prove your worth" quest :/

edit: just went back there to make sure and yeah, this is what he says as usual

kTNG5xG.png

maybe it's because Kyrian wasn't my FIRST covenant? I was Nightfae -> Kyrian -> Venthyr.

Last edited:

Tbm24

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
It's been entertaining seeing how well the arms warriors in the top guilds have done this raid. From what I see it looks like they've all gone Night Fae however and I personally don't really want to swap out of Venthyr, especially as my Warrior is more for PvP than anything else. I also don't want to have to start from 0.

Firewithin

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Orange County
Echo killed Sylvanas! And what a clean pull it was. That was probably one of the most perfect plays I've ever seen. They had no deaths and 4 br's up in the end. GG to all the guilds, what a race it was!
on one of limit's last few pulls they had a kill pull going ahead in damage and people up and had one of the most unfortunate DCs to one of their pallys and just fucked them for that pull and then i think the tiredness just set in finally after like 16hrs.

ToTheMoon

Oct 27, 2017
Gratz to Echo on the win! Insanely close race.

It was a one-time forgiveness of "Covenant sin", not a permanent change to the rules. So if you left the Kyrian once already in 9.1, then you'll have to do the quest to rejoin them.

Rhaknar

Oct 26, 2017
So if you left the Kyrian once already in 9.1, then you'll have to do the quest to rejoin them.

I think this was the issue. Oh well, its done now after the reset no biggie. Speaking of, I found out you can fill the entire "prove your worth" bar with those 4 endlessly respawning rares in south bastion (the ones people use for the coins calling usually), so that was neat... and not intended in the slightest I have to imagine haha

JCizzle

Avenger
Oct 26, 2017
I think this was the issue. Oh well, its done now after the reset no biggie. Speaking of, I found out you can fill the entire "prove your worth" bar with those 4 endlessly respawning rares in south bastion (the ones people use for the coins calling usually), so that was neat... and not intended in the slightest I have to imagine haha
Oh wow, that's a great tip. I had no idea.

Magnus

Oct 25, 2017
Good guy Muffinus:

It gives me hope to see current WoW devs being so militant against how the corporate voice has handled this, and demanding a statement. Curious to see what we'll get from the game's directors and producers in the weeks to come. This would have been the window of time we'd start to see 9.2 news, I imagine, and surely a lot of work has been done on that front, but it's secondary to how they plan to reform and address the issues brought up by the suit.

Intraxidance

Oct 25, 2017
Apparently Preach is giving up WoW content now, besides Drama Time. What a shame, but I respect him for doing so. I am struggling right now with justifying paying a subscription fee that will be used to fight this lawsuit.

The game really needs a win. It feels like they haven't had one for a long time now.

Tbm24

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
For anyone following along with the current story, I've been kind to Shadowlands because I think the Lore right now is super interesting, but the story telling problems I think have hit their apex with this Elune business. I won't say what it is for spoiler reasons if that matters to you, but at least imo it's entirely unearned and as it stands, fucking stupid. It could have worked if they actually put in the time to set it up, but they didn't. At this rate I just don't get it. I think and hope in the wake of everything going on, that the WoW team comes together as a unit and really rethinks their approach to the game.

I just.....don't understand how it can be satisfying to write a plot that strictly relies on major characters being fucking idiots.

Noppie

Oct 27, 2017
For anyone following along with the current story, I've been kind to Shadowlands because I think the Lore right now is super interesting, but the story telling problems I think have hit their apex with this Elune business. I won't say what it is for spoiler reasons if that matters to you, but at least imo it's entirely unearned and as it stands, fucking stupid. It could have worked if they actually put in the time to set it up, but they didn't. At this rate I just don't get it. I think and hope in the wake of everything going on, that the WoW team comes together as a unit and really rethinks their approach to the game.

I just.....don't understand how it can be satisfying to write a plot that strictly relies on major characters being fucking idiots.
Nothing in the cinematic screamed 'Elune is a fucking idiot' to me 🤷

Tbm24

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Nothing in the cinematic screamed 'Elune is a fucking idiot' to me 🤷
In many ways I just don't understand how Elune could learn/understand Ardenweld is having a severe anima drought but have 0 idea as to why. If Ardenweld is not getting anima, then the Arbiter is not sending it clearly. Why was there any faith the souls would go there? So to me this is being framed as she saw the tragedy happening, but didn't step in to help thinking all those souls could help Ardenweld which ultimately ended up being for nothing since they all went to the Maw anyway. What happens after we don't know since it ends hinting those souls have a great purpose and so on.

It's a big fucking decision to get so wrong despite the what I can image are giant fucking warning signs and worse yet it's not earned. I for the life of me do not understand how Blizzard seemingly went out of their way to disengage the player/story from the Night Elves after burning their home and funneling us off to BFA/Old God bullshit. Yet we're coming back to it in a very impactful way story/lore wise, just matter of factly.

Cort

Nov 4, 2017
Imagine waiting years and years for

Elune

to finally show up in the game's story, only to insinuate that

She orchestrated Teldrassil's burning to help her sister

This story is something else

Kalor

Resettlement Advisor
Oct 25, 2017
A message from the WoW team went up about the past few days. It's not much but they're at least removing any references in the game to known abusers.

It was clear from our team conversations that we wanted to put forth a statement that was representative of the World of Warcraft team's sentiments. We asked all members of our team to send us their suggestions and feedback on how best to address the community and this is the result.

The past days have been a time of reflection for the World of Warcraft team, spent in conversation and contemplation, full of sadness, pain, and anger, but also hope and resolve. As we heed the brave women who have come forward to share their experiences, we stand committed to taking the actions necessary to ensure we are providing an inclusive, welcoming, and safe environment both for our team and for our players in Azeroth. Those of us in leadership understand that it is not our place to judge when we have achieved our goals, but rather for our team and our community to let us know when we still have more to do.

While we turn to our team for guidance in our internal work to protect marginalized groups and hold accountable those who threaten them, we also want to take immediate action in Azeroth to remove references that are not appropriate for our world. This work has been underway, and you will be seeing several such changes to both Shadowlands and WoW Classic in the coming days.

We know that in order to rebuild trust, we must earn it with our actions in the weeks and months to come. But we go forward knowing that we share the same vision as our community about creating a place where people of all genders, ethnicities, sexual orientations, and backgrounds can thrive and proudly call home.

https://worldofwarcraft.com/en-us/news/23703199/a-message-from-the-world-of-warcraft-team

Noppie

Oct 27, 2017
Imagine waiting years and years for

Elune

to finally show up in the game's story, only to insinuate that

She orchestrated Teldrassil's burning to help her sister

This story is something else
That is not what is implied, at all. She didn't orchestrate it at all, but used the tragedy (as she herself calls it) to send the souls of Night Elves to the Winter Queen rather than turn them into wisps.

As for how she didn't know they were going to the Maw? Noone in the Shadowlands noticed, so there's that. No reason to expect Elune to know.
The real issue is the vague and ambiguous way of these cinematics, where stuff like this should be very clear.

Rhaknar

Oct 26, 2017
In my opinion:

Elune says "in the wake of tragedy, sent forth the cascade of souls to sustain you"

That does not mean that she cause / influenced Sylvanas's burning of Teldrassil, it just means that, in her own words, "in the wake of tragedy" she made the best of a bad situation. What was the alternative, they all become Wisps I guess?

edit: yeah what Noppie said

Bregor

Oct 27, 2017
Regarding this weeks campaign:

Tyrande has to choose between "renewal or vengance". But why? Is it not possible for the Night Elfs to have both? Does Blizzard believe that it is wrong for victims to pursue justice with the perpetrator?

Bregor

Oct 27, 2017
how about a trial guys

You mean like the one for Garrosh were he ended up escaping, and then the Eternals said it was over because they were actually judging the others at the trial?

Blizzard does not believe in justice for victims. Those who judge the perpetrator are the REAL villain's according to them.

Wunder

Oct 25, 2017
You mean like the one for Garrosh were he ended up escaping, and then the Eternals said it was over because they were actually judging the others at the trial?

Blizzard does not believe in justice for victims. Those who judge the perpetrator are the REAL villain's according to them.

yes that was the reference

the 4 guys from the shadowlands can be the judges now and then say the mortals were bad for being mean to sylv

Rhaknar

Oct 26, 2017

are you really trying to make a connection between the awful shit going on at Blizz with their writing?

like... really?

Bregor

Oct 27, 2017
are you really trying to make a connection between the awful shit going on at Blizz with their writing?

like... really?

No. They've been setting up the message of "wanting justice is wrong" ever since the beginning of Shadowlands. It's very obvious.

Here is my prediction for the future plot:

With all her soul back Sylvanas will feel really bad about the stuff she's done guys. She is the only one who has the knowledge to beat the Jailer! All the NPC's will agree that punishing is wrong and if you feel she should be punished for her crimes you are bad. You will have to take quests from her. She will sacrifice herself and become the new Arbiter (the Arbiter is basically an empty set of clothes). You will be expected to believe she has been very heroic. Blizz will put her on a shelf to be used 3-4 expansions down the line.

Paganmoon

Oct 26, 2017
again, you're conflating justice with vengeance, they are not the same thing. I haven't seen any messaging with the quests that justice is wrong, the messaging is more in the lines of "vengeance is wrong/dangerous, and will consume you" which tbh is a pretty common trope in story telling so not really surprising it's used here as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.