• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Where Does Your Loyalty Lie?

• Kyrian

Votes: 143 20.2%
  • Necrolords

Votes: 127 17.9%
  • Night Fae

Votes: 247 34.9%
  • Venthyr

Votes: 191 27.0%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Rampage

Oct 27, 2017
Metro Detriot
After the cinematic and tea with Bolvar, Thrall, and Jaina,

Sylvanas: Give me my bow back.

Champion Hunter: Fuck no!

Sylvanas: But....

Champion: Go get Anduin back and I'll think about it.

9.3 released

Chanption: Still no.

Last edited:

Rhaknar

Oct 26, 2017
do we know if Tazavesh normal and hard mode gear is on the same lockout or seperate?

Can someone who cleared normal, got the hard mode unlock "key" go into a fresh instance with a new friend, do hard modes and get gear again, or is that person shit out of luck until next week?

Royalan

I can say DEI; you can't.
Oct 24, 2017
I'm ok with Sylvanas' fate in the cinematic.

I've always said I don't want Sylvanas to die, but I don't want her to be this big galaxy brain outsmarting even the primal forces of the universe. In the end what's frustrated me with Sylvanas, even more so than her turn to cartoonish villainy, is how she just keeps getting away. She outsmarts everyone. But here, Sylvanas got played. She was once again a pawn, which is probably worse for her than death. Fitting.

I'm more laughing at the Arbiter being pitted as this central character, only to spend the entire time asleep before she's ultimately absorbed. lol

antonz

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
There is another cutscene from the raid found with Garrosh. apparently it was bugged and not playing earlier

Rhaknar

Oct 26, 2017

subpar spatula

Refuses to Wash his Ass
Oct 26, 2017
They really gotta nail 9.2. The story so far has been abysmal. And you just know YOU JUST KNOW they are gonna have a Sylvanas and Arthas reunion of some sorts for that nostalgia and it will be worse than anything you can think of.

Z-Beat

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Had a weird bug where I died in Maldraxxus and my body just...vanished

subpar spatula

Refuses to Wash his Ass
Oct 26, 2017
I hate flying this expansion. Like, you don't get the Maw, Korthia, or even Oribos. People still do the original 4 zones? You can get the 1k anima from doing the 1 renown quest in Korthia.

I did a bit of flying and Revendreth and logged. Completely pointless if there's nothing in those zones to do anymore.

Rhaknar

Oct 26, 2017
I hate flying this expansion. Like, you don't get the Maw, Korthia, or even Oribos. People still do the original 4 zones? You can get the 1k anima from doing the 1 renown quest in Korthia.

I did a bit of flying and Revendreth and logged. Completely pointless if there's nothing in those zones to do anymore.

can herb in revendreth without wanting to kill myself now, so there's that

Royalan

Oct 24, 2017
can herb in revendreth without wanting to kill myself now, so there's that
This.

Revendreth went from being my most anticipated zone to one I actively avoid even more than the Maw, for just how frustrating it is to navigate.

I love that Blizzard is playing more with verticality in zones, but it's for that reason that I'm glad they're making flying easier to get.

Oct 25, 2017
Cincinnati

I mean I personally held off leveling alts until flying because the zones are just a complete annoyance to navigate on the ground, so thank god for that. The Maw was never going to get flying which in turn means Korthia. Hopefully whatever zone is added in 9.2 has it though.

Metroidvania

Oct 25, 2017
On one hand I'm super curious as to the Sylvanas situation and where it will end up going....likely
She goes the Kerrigan/Illidan route and fucks off being the new jailer/warden or what have you.....that, or Tyrande kills her and is seen as the bad guy for doing it

.....Like, she literally had an earlier segment with Anduin saying 'I may not 'serve' the Jailer, but I'm at his beck and call because life as we know it is rigged so that we basically ALREADY serve'.

So having some 'oh fuck, Zovaal is like Arthas/LK' aspect feels super dumb, because why 'now', of all time,s is that what pushes her off the edge of the doubts she's been having.

Meanwhile, Blizz once again pulling the 'it's so obvious, there must be something we're missing' card AGAIN with the blatant hints they left makes everything feel....kinda wonky.

It's such a copout to her character to have
All of her actions, either post-frostmourne slaying, or post-suicide-off-of-ICC, be basically mind-controlled puppet actions of the jailer, as though Blizz will undoubtedly try to add nuance, that's basically what it is.

It's such an inept, broad strokes retcon as to basically wipe away any and all of her characterization from WoW's story, no matter how Blizz likely will try to play it off as 'it was still her, just 'EVIL' her lacking some of her morality/mortality

Plus, Sylvanas' changing
eyes
feels super weird/out of place, unless the intent is to show that she's literally not
'banshee'
any longer.

antonz

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Yeah there
On one hand I'm super curious as to the Sylvanas situation and where it will end up going....likely
She goes the Kerrigan/Illidan route and fucks off being the new jailer/warden or what have you.....that, or Tyrande kills her and is seen as the bad guy for doing it

.....Like, she literally had an earlier segment with Anduin saying 'I may not 'serve' the Jailer, but I'm at his beck and call because life as we know it is rigged so that we basically ALREADY serve'.

So having some 'oh fuck, Zovaal is like Arthas/LK' aspect feels super dumb, because why 'now', of all time,s is that what pushes her off the edge of the doubts she's been having.

Meanwhile, Blizz once again pulling the 'it's so obvious, there must be something we're missing' card AGAIN with the blatant hints they left makes everything feel....kinda wonky.

All of her actions, either post-frostmourne slaying, or post-suicide-off-of-ICC, be basically mind-controlled puppet actions of the jailer, as though Blizz will undoubtedly try to add nuance, that's basically what it is.

It's such an inept, broad strokes retcon as to basically wipe away any and all of her characterization from WoW's story, no matter how Blizz likely will try to play it off as 'it was still her, just 'EVIL' her lacking some of her morality/mortality

Plus, Sylvanas' changing
eyes
feels super weird/out of place, unless the intent is to show that she's literally not
'banshee'
any longer.
I took it to indicate that she really isn't undead anymore. For her service the Jailer essentially gave her soul back with the twisted idea that the leaders she is trapped before will want to kill her. Essentially sending her soul back to him

subpar spatula

Refuses to Wash his Ass
Oct 26, 2017

Plus, Sylvanas' changing
eyes
'banshee'
any longer.
She wasn't serving Zovaal before. She believed in the plan and willingly helped him. When he got it all and went the whole, "now the universe will serve" it dawned on her he didn't want to do what he said he would or that she assumed he meant something else.

I don't think Zovaal can cure the curse of undeath as that is a Maldraxxus thing. It seems he just gave back her full soul because hers was splintered
like Uther's. There is a secret area within Torghast that has all these portions of specific souls that totally isn't where Arthas is.
so she is still undead.

Rhaknar

Oct 26, 2017
weird sidenote but the EU maintenance time is strange, its 9 to 10 (CEST) which is usually when the game is already live (dailies and shit reset at 8am for example), which seems awkward to say the least.

Bregor

Oct 27, 2017
She wasn't serving Zovaal before. She believed in the plan and willingly helped him. When he got it all and went the whole, "now the universe will serve" it dawned on her he didn't want to do what he said he would or that she assumed he meant something else.

She has been literally surrounded by billions of examples of the Jailer subjugating the innocent, and helped him turn Anduin into a copy of her abuser, and NOW she realizes he is evil?

Cort

Nov 4, 2017
This game's story is an unmitigated catastrophe. It makes Cataclysm look Shakespearean.

subpar spatula

Refuses to Wash his Ass
Oct 26, 2017
She has been literally surrounded by billions of examples of the Jailer subjugating the innocent, and helped him turn Anduin into a copy of her abuser, and NOW she realizes he is evil?
Not evil but that he is here to make everyone subservient. She was willing to force Anduin because she believed the overall objective would set everyone free in some nihilistic way so the means justify the end, but then he was all lol I lied.

dalq

Feb 13, 2018
Man, this ending cinematic really makes Sylvannas into the dumbest character in WoWs history.
Like what exactly did she expected to happen?

Oj another note, fight seems overtuned as fuck. Saw a clip of Limit hitting enrage on her at over 60% hp lmao

Last edited:

Cass_Se

Oct 25, 2017
So it's basically a cliffhanger that won't be properly elaborated upon until somewhere in 2022

Ok

jaymzi

Jul 22, 2019
The cinematic was actually surprising, and not in a good way.

Everyone knew she was going to betray The Jailer, but always thought it was going to be another one of her "all according to my master plan" type of betrayal.

Ended up being a heat of the moment thing and decided to go against everything she had done up till this point because she heard him say "serve".

Bregor

Oct 27, 2017
Not evil but that he is here to make everyone subservient. She was willing to force Anduin because she believed the overall objective would set everyone free in some nihilistic way so the means justify the end, but then he was all lol I lied.

And I'm saying that's not plausible. Hell, Anduin called her on it when they were having their chats. All she had to do is look around her and it was completely obvious that the Jailer and his objectives were 100% evil. How could she conceivably not realize it?

And then he says "serve" and THATS when she realizes the truth? REALLY? It is totally unbelievable.

Strafer

The Flagpole is Wider
Oct 25, 2017
Sweden
Really cool and awesome cinematic.

Nothing too surprising though.

Really curious to see where they go with this.

But I'm happy that we got our Queen back. Maybe now they will rebuild Undercity.

Kemal86

Oct 25, 2017
the plot is just absolutely dire at this point. I don't honestly care what happens to Sylvannas, in terms of if she lives/dies/gets redeemed or not - just so long as she gets written out of the story in at least a semi-permanent way (Illidan), and we can collectively move the fuck on from this terrible character.

Li Kao

Oct 25, 2017
Just passing by with a little question - didn't play since Wrath - I often read that current WoW is all about raiding, Mythic etc. and not targeted toward casual players. Is that true ?
And are the raid lore heavy or not ?

subpar spatula

Refuses to Wash his Ass
Oct 26, 2017
And I'm saying that's not plausible. Hell, Anduin called her on it when they were having their chats. All she had to do is look around her and it was completely obvious that the Jailer and his objectives were 100% evil. How could she conceivably not realize it?

And then he says "serve" and THATS when she realizes the truth? REALLY? It is totally unbelievable.
He runs a prison. What else is it supposed to look like. He tricked her. Not what else to say to convince you

Royalan

Oct 24, 2017
Sylvanas was the leader of The Forsaken. The ultimate no-we-only-look-evil-we're-actually-good-I-swear race in WoW.

That she got conned by the Jailer is actually one of the more believable bits of the story to me. lol

Also, the level of negativity and toxicity in the WoW community has reached a fever pitch. I haven't seen anything like it in my 10+ years playing this game. It's gross, tbh.

No amount of systems or retconning or bad story or whatever justifies it.

Codosbuya

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Yep, I was just checking MMOChampion and my god.

It's sad to see.
MMO-Champion used to be the containment zone for toxicity and circlejerking.

Now its extending to Wowhead comment section...

Im okay with criticism, but I hate hyperbolic, reductive, drive-by posting that most of the wow fansites have.

Noppie

Oct 27, 2017
It's what 'serve' implicates, not the word itself. Forcing people, ignoring the enslavement of others and everything else can be cast aside as a 'means to an end,' especially by someone like Sylvanas.

It's not until the Jailer has the power to change the world (now) and his endgame is to make everyone serve him, that she recognizes that his endgoal and hers are different.

Now, that doesn't mean the story or how it's presented is good in any way, but this cinematic and her actions in it make sense to me 🤷

Sylvanas in the Shadowlands cinematic: 'I will set you all free'
Jailer: 'Serve me'
Sylvanas: 'Nope'

Codosbuya

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
It's what 'serve' implicates, not the word itself. Forcing people, ignoring the enslavement of others and everything else can be cast aside as a 'means to an end,' especially by someone like Sylvanas.

It's not until the Jailer has the power to change the world (now) and his endgame is to make everyone serve him, that she recognizes that his endgoal and hers are different.

Now, that doesn't mean the story or how it's presented is good in any way, but this cinematic and her actions in it make sense to me 🤷

Sylvanas in the Shadowlands cinematic: 'I will set you all free'
Jailer: 'Serve me'
Sylvanas: 'Nope'
eWEJZkV.png

But her sisters serving her its totally fine btw. Blizzard kinda forgot.

JCizzle

Avenger
Oct 26, 2017
MMO-Champion used to be the containment zone for toxicity and circlejerking.

Now its extending to Wowhead comment section...

Im okay with criticism, but I hate hyperbolic, reductive, drive-by posting that most of the wow fansites have.

Yep, it's gotten out of control. There's certainly stuff to criticize, but my goodness everything is so over the top.

Rampage

Oct 27, 2017
Metro Detriot
Man, this ending cinematic really makes Sylvannas into the dumbest character in WoWs history.
Like what exactly did she expected to happen?

That is why this story is so painful to watch it unfold.

Sylvanas has always been depicted as highly intelligent. Her falling for Jailer's BS is so out of character for her.

She doesn't want to be stuck in the Maw forever because it is terrible...yet she trust the ruler of the Maw vision.
She hates her fate as a Banshee.... yet she chooses to work with the guy responsible for that fate.
She worried about the Forsaken being no more to Garrosh....yet kills the Forsaken who want to go home to their families.
She is all "For the Horde" at the beginning of Legion.... but personally does nothing to help fight against them after landing the ships.
She commits genocide on the Night Elves, leading to the lost of the Undercity and Horde lives....yet she is going to set us all free?
And they have told us now, she had been working for the Jailor since "The Edge of Midnight", making her completely complicate in his scheme...yet she doesn't serve?
While telling us all that we are nothing?

Just choose one thread of hers to follow Blizzard and stick with it. Make her a badguy full stop. Make her ends justify the means good guy that planned against the Jailor all along. But not this "I'm so smart of a chess master, but I just got played after committing atrocity on top of atrocity. None of their story writing with her has been consistent. Sadly, it is too late now

It is even more painful, because the small sub stories from Legion to SL have actual been good. Any zone in Legion, Kultras, Zandalar, each Covenant- those stories are craft well. It when they write the big world ending stuff- Ashara, N'Zoth, and Sylvanas's arc that either speedrun or poorly seeded actual motives.

Still, my frustration with Sylvanas's story doesn't warrant death threats against Kristy Golden. End of the day, it is still just a story.

Bregor

Oct 27, 2017
He runs a prison. What else is it supposed to look like. He tricked her. Not what else to say to convince you

A prison which has been populated by countless innocents for some time, which she had a part in causing.

If he tricked her, she cannot be that smart because the simplest person should see the injustice in the situation.

The enslavement of billions of innocents, the torture of billions of innocents, and the actual annihilation of a great many of them. There is no end which justifies that means.

Anybody willing to go that far is evil themselves.

And she's a dunce if she didn't see it earlier. It was obvious to virtually everyone playing the game, she had a much better opportunity to examine the reality of the Jailer and his domain. She either is a fool, or simply doesn't value people's life.

Finaj

Oct 25, 2017
Eh, I'm not even sure Christie Golden has much say in the direction of the story. The only notable change we've seen since she was brought on is that character dialogue got better during cutscenes/cinematics.

subpar spatula

Refuses to Wash his Ass
Oct 26, 2017
A prison which has been populated by countless innocents for some time, which she had a part in causing.

If he tricked her, she cannot be that smart because the simplest person should see the injustice in the situation.

The enslavement of billions of innocents, the torture of billions of innocents, and the actual annihilation of a great many of them. There is no end which justifies that means.

Anybody willing to go that far is evil themselves.

And she's a dunce if she didn't see it earlier. It was obvious to virtually everyone playing the game, she had a much better opportunity to examine the reality of the Jailer and his domain. She either is a fool, or simply doesn't value people's life.
"Hey uh sylvanas, wanna rewrite the world to basically nothing so no one feels feelings anymore?"

"Omg yes!'

"Fooled ya gonna enslave everyone. Thanks for your help."

Tbm24

Oct 25, 2017

Honestly the bolded is entirely within her character. Like that aspect of her personality has always been consistent. Most recent example is the end of BFA. Sylvanas's master plan wasn't to expose her using the Horde/not giving a shit about it the way she did. She snapped because Saurfang pushed the right buttons. Sylvanas has made rash and consequential decisions multiple times purely on her being triggered by some words or actions.

I personally think the cinematic was great and where they are taking the story/her character to be very interesting. Blizzard's problem in my eyes is to make it interesting, you actually have to consume outside of the game material to really get what's happening. Blizzard is genuinely bad at conveying anything that's going on in shadowlands through the game.

Status
Not open for further replies.