• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Deleted member 24149

Oct 29, 2017
Actual good move and shocked they did it.

Rhaknar

Oct 26, 2017
everyone has been saying it needs a delay bad (from beta) but that it wouldnt be delayed because Activision gonna Activision, huh.

Now I'm wondering if they do November, or just do December and get away from the console launches /shrug

In what way was Legion not popular with the community. It was one of the good ones in the never ending good/bad expansion cycle.

2/3 mean 2 out of 3 no? So WoD and BFA

Deleted member 24149

Oct 29, 2017
In what way was Legion not popular with the community. It was one of the good ones in the never ending good/bad expansion cycle.
Borrowed power system that's broken some classes. Legendary drops that made your spec viable if you got it or terrible if you didn't. Patches that were pretty bleh. Suramar rep grind.

Berordn

One Winged Slayer
Oct 26, 2017
NoVA
8.0 retroactively soured a lot of folks on it when it became obvious how much of the overall design was tied to the artifacts that they just unceremoniously removed. there was really no need for it to be a borrowed power system that we gave up, it should have just become a part of character progression.

but without them all the spec redesigns ended up being shallow and worse off than what we had in WoD.

Oct 25, 2017
Cincinnati
everyone has been saying it needs a delay bad (from beta) but that it wouldnt be delayed because Activision gonna Activision, huh.

Now I'm wondering if they do November, or just do December and get away from the console launches /shrug

2/3 mean 2 out of 3 no? So WoD and BFA

They specified Legion not WoD, which is funny since Legion shits on WoD in almost every way.

Friskyrum

Jun 25, 2019
Anyone with any sense of mind has been asking for this, surprised they actually went through with it though.

Hope this gives them time to fix a lot of stuff on beta.

Aeana

Oct 25, 2017
Blizzard is so obsessed with making each expansion have tons of new systems, gameplay gimmicks, and sweeping massive changes, that it's really to their own detriment. They only create far more work for themselves. Worst part is, when another expansion comes along they throw away all that new stuff and start the cycle all over again.
This is really the reason why they keep running into this problem over and over again. They throw so much out with each new expansion that they're basically starting from scratch each time. It's the totally opposite approach FF14 takes (which I also have issues with). There's got to be some nice medium ground where you get exciting new features without blowing everything up and spending half of the expansion fixing stuff that you fixed last time.

Masagiwa

Jan 27, 2018
Worth mentioning this is the first time they delayed an expansion since The Burning Crusade I believe.

First time in like 13 years.
Pretty much everyone felt it was needed this time.

OHTARtL.png

Meia

Oct 26, 2017

Legion had a very rough start with a pretty bag Legendary system and a very unfriendly Weapon system that discouraged alternate specs on a character. They fixed it by the first patch largely, but it was such a good expac that basically everybody forgot how rough it started.

For the most part, and I really don't know why, but they moved away from the idea of player power by itself mattering, and having player power just tied to whatever system is launching with the current expansion. Unlike FFXIV, I truly don't know why Blizzard feels the need to throw out systems at the end of every expansion, but it's just something they do. Tieing that to how strong your character feels is just never going to be a correct decision with that mindset, but they just keep going. Shadowlands is going to be the worst example of this, as it's not just one system they need to balance, but like 3 or 4. Do you have the right Covenant for your spec? How about Soulbinds? Do you have the right Conduits for those Soulbinds? How about the right Legendary?

Kawngi

Prophet of Truth
Oct 30, 2017
It was obvious to me the Oct 27th date was too soon from the moment that it was announced. It became increasingly clear it wasn't ready for release, and knew it needed a delay. Wasn't sure they'd go through with it, but I'm glad they did.

Cancelled my PTO, but worried it'll launch at a time that I can't take off now.
Should also get that 3080/Zen3 build done in time now yeeeee.

Last edited:

Amnixia

â–˛ Legend â–˛
The Fallen
Jan 25, 2018
This was the right decision. The game was not ready, the Covenant system is a mess, the big players/streamers are extremely concerned about end-game, and the game really can't take another crash and burn after 2/3 expansions have been very unpopular with the end-game community (Legion and BfA).

Legion was a grade A expansion and outside of the usual final content update -> expac launch the community was largely positive

Oct 25, 2017
I won't be playing this, but considering how many experiences Blizzard has recently had with not pulling the brakes when the alpha/beta population reports that something is clearly not ready (be it BfA or WC3 Reforged), it's nice to see them capitulate for once. Blizzard's reputation was built on delivering Soon, and in recent years, they had turned away from that principle with disastrous consequences.

In fact, around this time last year I recall the news that WC3 would be pushed out of 2019 was met with jubilation—and ultimately, they still didn't delay it by enough. The thing about rough Blizzard launches—and I remember this going back to vanilla D3 and Warlords of Draenor—is that enough testing is in public view that you can always see them coming.

Blackage

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I'm in disbelief, I'm sure Activision's bean counters would have pushed this out the door with a "fix it later" mentality.

zashga

Losing is fun
Oct 28, 2017
Haven't been following Shadowlands, but it's good they delayed it if it's not ready. Should've done that with War3 Reforged earlier this year; hopefully they learned from that debacle.

Oct 25, 2017
new jersey
Didn't expect this at all. I think this is the first time an expansion has been delayed. But I'll take it as a good sign. Never a bad choice to delay something.

What was the issues that needed it to be delayed? I haven't been following it lately.

Iadien

Oct 25, 2017
Anyone that keeps up with WoW knows this was needed. Glad they actually delayed it though.

OP
OP
Risev

Risev

Oct 27, 2017
Didn't expect this at all. I think this is the first time an expansion has been delayed. But I'll take it as a good sign. Never a bad choice to delay something.

What was the issues that needed it to be delayed? I haven't been following it lately.
Burning Crusade was delayed, but that's literally it when it comes to expansion delays.

The delay mainly has to do with balancing. They've just finally started to tune covenants like today, and there are tons of broken quests and things that have barely been touched yet (Windwalker Monks).

Oct 25, 2017
new jersey
Burning Crusade was delayed, but that's literally it when it comes to expansion delays.

The delay mainly has to do with balancing. They've just finally started to tune covenants like today, and there are tons of broken quests and things that have barely been touched yet (Windwalker Monks).
Well, that's good to hear. Now that I remember yes TBC was delayed publicly.. but it's been so long. I'm just glad they admitted that it needs more time to be finished instead of insisting its great now and pushing it out like WoD, BfA, or Cata.

Loxley

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
Bummed but also glad. Sounds like they still have quite a bit of work to do. Getting the prepatch on the 13th will be cool though.

Shalashaska

Prophet of Regret
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I wonder if an extra month or two is really enough to really fix it up. Seems like there is a lot of work still to go. Wouldn't be surprised to see it launch early next year.

IllumiNate

Nov 18, 2018
Canada
I'm glad since now I won't be ignoring my shiny new next-gen systems when they launch.

I'm hoping for a late January launch personally

Cort

Nov 4, 2017
I'm celebrating for different reasons

Ain't no way I can get a few days off to play this right before Halloween. Fucking retail.

Scuffed

Oct 28, 2017
It's funny that it says later this year which isn't really that much of a delay. At most it's two months and I honestly don't think that is enough time to make that much of a difference content or balance wise but I guess it's good for bug fixing.

devious.one

Oct 25, 2017
Hoping for Mid-December since that'll give me enough space to put some time aside and check it out.

Deleted member 23381

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Man, it feels like its been half a decade since bfa came out, I don;t think I even got past the first zone

Absolute

Banned
Nov 6, 2017
It's a good thing about betas I guess. The userbase can see where the game is currently so I think it lessens the disappointment. Still looking forward to diving back into wow when it comes out. I'll have to check out the pre-patch too.

Doc Kelso

Oct 25, 2017
NYC
Blizzard, you stupid assholes. Anyone in the alpha could've told you that the expansion was nowhere near ready when they moved it into beta. Anyone in the beta could tell you that the expansion is barely ready for launch.

Glad they decided to delay but I'm also having a good ol' laugh about it.

Juryvicious

Oct 28, 2017
This NEEDED to happen, but never did I think Activision would allow it. There is a lot of stuff that needed to be addressed for months and when they were not, and the release date was announced I thought well, Blizzard will fix/ patch things when Mythic raiding begins as they normally do.

This is a good thing, and I look forward to updated Beta patch notes.

Skai

Oct 27, 2017
This is what happens when you try to balance multiple systems (4+) on top of each other.

Coyote Starrk

The Fallen
Oct 30, 2017
It's disappointing,but expected given the state of the Beta. I'm glad they are willing to delay though. I want things to actually work.

But holy shit at the anger on the WoW forums and Twitter. People need to calm the hell down.

Dec 4, 2018
Will people with a subscription be able to use the new leveling system for the Shadowlands Expac? (Prior to going to Shadowlands.)

But holy shit at the anger on the WoW forums and Twitter. People need to calm the hell down.

How bad? I have this perception (out of my butt) that the players are angry at Blizzard for multitude reasons and this delay just unleashed it. People are always angry when I went to look for something in the classic forums.

TheZynster

Oct 26, 2017
I'm just happy the pre patch isn't far away honestly, that is what i was looking forward to a lot. So it will be nice to get ample time to mess around with the leveling experience to a very good degree and all the class changes before the expansion drops.

To me this was the best decision to keep fans engaged and to give them more time to hit the quality they want. We have seen a rushed expansion before and its not pretty