• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Noriea

Nov 8, 2017
I'm sad. I used to be rabid fan and played since release. I used to eat these updates up, but I haven't played since right after BFA and haven't raided for a few years. Game isn't what it used to be. Ironically, FFXIV has piqued my curiosity again.

Sölf

Oct 25, 2017
Germany
I just resubbed for 6 months 3 weeks ago since last playing in October, mainly because I knew 8.2 would hit soon and WoW Classic also releases in 2 months. Then again, I saw a FF 14 video a few days ago and got an itch to play that again... xD
Then again, I am nowhere near max level. Heck, I am still in post release content of ARR. Would take me weeks to actually get to the new stuff.

TheYanger

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I just resubbed for 6 months 3 weeks ago since last playing in October, mainly because I knew 8.2 would hit soon and WoW Classic also releases in 2 months. Then again, I saw a FF 14 video a few days ago and got an itch to play that again... xD
Then again, I am nowhere near max level. Heck, I am still in post release content of ARR. Would take me weeks to actually get to the new stuff.
Yeah but the good stuff in a couple weeks is better than waiting two months for the good stuff in wow

Oct 25, 2017
Not falling for this. I stopped playing WoW after BFA and decided to really get into FF14 instead. To my surprise, I found a game way more fun and interesting than WoW has ever been in all my time playing, with a much better story to boot.

Will just be playing Shadowbringers instead. Sorry, Blizzard. You lost me. Gave BFA a chance but it sucked.

Darkstorne

Oct 26, 2017
England
I'm gonna need a level squish and a visual overhaul for the old zones to match current expac quality before I jump back in. Otherwise, WoW 2.

I really thought WoW Classic would be the perfect time to launch a visual overhaul of old zones too. The assets could be used for live WoW's old zones and WoW Classic: Same old and beloved gameplay, brand new modern visuals, just like a remaster (see their Starcraft remaster, and upcoming WC3 remaster), and a toggle in the settings menu to switch instantly between the new assets and original assets for those who prefer the nostalgia (same way you can toggle between new and old character models right now).

They're losing subscribers to FFXIV and ESO. Without a complete visual overhaul of the base game zones (and ideally BC and WotLK too), this game will only ever be on a downward trajectory. Each expac will sell fewer and fewer copies, as the target audience will primarily be lapsed players. They need to focus on new players if they want the game to last.

ChrisJSY

Oct 29, 2017
I'm good, I'll wait and see what the next expansion is and if it's just another "look we removed things people hated the last 3 expansion but made up a new one!=...that everyone hates and we'll eventually patch to make it fun." then I'm also going to pass. I feel the newer teams/leadership have lost sight on what made the game fun and has opted to steer hard into what's not.

A new class however would interest me for a bit and we're due one this expansion.

Stainless

Feb 26, 2018
Nashville,TN
I started back a few months ago on the free weekend after being out for a couple years. Rolled a priest because I feel like they killed the rogue class. I've really enjoyed priest although having to do broken Isles stuff then zandalar stuff for pathfinder was pretty painful. I saw some preview content for the new zones and they seem interesting so plan to check them out before deciding if I want to continue the sub.

I'm still 1/2 on Heroic CoS so if anyone here can pull me in for a Heroic U'unat kill this week I would greatly appreciate it. I'm a Holy/Shadow priest and do not mind healing at all, I tend to enjoy it since for many years I was melee class. My character is Villaira-Icecrown.

ejoshua

Oct 27, 2017
Funny to see things like this now when it used to be my life. Haven't played Wow for over a year now. When will they announce the next expansion?

This shadows my feelings entirely. There was a time in my life that this would have been the most important thing in my life, but now when I read the thread title I feel as distant from it as I would if you told me Everquest had a new expansion.

Acrano

Nov 2, 2017
Germany
Absolutely dastardly right before Shadowbringers haha

Stay within your lanes
It will be interesting to see how it will play out. I think initially a lot of people will watch Wow but will not play it, too many times we got burned by blizzard.

Finaly Fantasy is in a better position than ever, it´s a great game and with a big expansion coming and I think blizzards bullshit will not work.

I myself stopped playing in last October after we killed Jaina in Heroic. Maybe I will be back but I will wait a while, big fan of the universe and lore but Legion was a lot more fun than the new expansion.

Yam's

Oct 27, 2017
I think BfA finally killed my interest in WoW. Outside of the initial feeling of discovery, I pretty much hated everything about this expansion. I guess they finally managed to kill my interest in WoW for good. They'd need a drastic change in direction before I'd think about giving it another chance.

Zexen

Oct 27, 2017
Logged out 8 months ago, and still don't feel any urges to log back on. BFA is an unredeemable mess, not the point of WoD though, but WoD at least my class had good gameplay.

Classic is the only thing that could rekindle my flame for WoW at this point. I don't see the next expansion having a drastic changes of direction, they're probably far too into heavy development to have big core design changes. The one after, maybe.

Thus said, I like Ion, he's probably one of the last people in there actually playing the game. Some of his idea may not be good, but he seems genuine in his approach.

mclem

Oct 25, 2017
I myself stopped playing in last October after we killed Jaina in Heroic. Maybe I will be back but I will wait a while, big fan of the universe and lore but Legion was a lot more fun than the new expansion.

Eh? Do you mean G'huun?

Confusing those two bosses seems quite bizarre!

Acrano

Nov 2, 2017
Germany
Eh? Do you mean G'huun?

Confusing those two bosses seems quite bizarre!
Seems like I was a bit confused. I meant mrs Proudmoore boss encounter in the Battle of Dazar'alor RAID.

But it was the normal encounter. After that we killed some on heroic but I lost my motivation.

Maybe I will play classic with a friend I played vanilla and bc but given work I dont have the time.

Last edited:

Cipherr

Oct 26, 2017
It's pretty obvious Classic has been ready to go for a while, but they don't want to release it together with 8.2

Naw, Im in beta, and the Hunter class alone still has some serious gameplay bugs. Mainly surrounding pet behaviour. They are clearly having trouble stripping the modern behaviour entirely to get the retro stuff back. Pets are nuts right now.

Anoregon

Oct 25, 2017
Naw, Im in beta, and the Hunter class alone still has some serious gameplay bugs. Mainly surrounding pet behaviour. They are clearly having trouble stripping the modern behaviour entirely to get the retro stuff back. Pets are nuts right now.

Hopefully that gets sorted. Hunter is one of the only classes I could really see myself devoting much time to in classic.

OP
OP
Finaj

Finaj

Oct 25, 2017
I'll pose a question that I also asked in the WoW OT.

It's no mystery that the game's current state has received a lot of criticism.

Often when WoW expansions get released, they focus on Endgame content (with the exception of Cataclysm's world revamp) instead of refreshing old/leveling content, but never both.

Would the WoW community be fine with Blizzard taking an additional year (so let's say Fall 2021 for the next expansion) of development to create a new and compelling endgame, as well as revamping old content, changing core systems of the game including classes, introducing new quality of life features, more polish to content, and just all around future-proofing the game some more?

They are obviously struggling to make expansions within the two-year deadline they set for themselves.

Granted, this would likely lead to a lot of players unsubscribing with no guarantee they'd be back.

Cipherr

Oct 26, 2017

Often when WoW expansions get released, they focus on Endgame content (with the exception of Cataclysm's world revamp) instead of refreshing old/leveling content, but never both.

Would the WoW community be fine with Blizzard taking an additional year (so let's say Fall 2021 for the next expansion) of development to create a new and compelling endgame, as well as revamping old content, changing core systems of the game including classes, introducing new quality of life features, more polish to content, and just all around future-proofing the game some more?

They are obviously struggling to make expansions within the two-year deadline they set for themselves.

Granted, this would likely lead to a lot of players unsubscribing with no guarantee they'd be back.

I dunno, I cant speak for the people that still play live. But this certainly doesn't seem like the best timing to try something like that IMO. Maybe if the situation wasn't already so bad in tandem with FF gaining more and more attention... But to do that right now would seem like a bad idea.

Last edited:

Minthara

Freelance Market Director
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Montreal

This would only work if Blizzard got away from their "mythic, raid or PvP" gear treadmill. I played WoW for years but end game (from Vanilla to BFA) has always been dry and lacking depth. WoW's other problem is that they've always struggled at telling their narrative in an engaging way.

FFXIV can get around this by going full bore into complex story while also having things like the Golden Saucer as fun side attractions they update regularly. They also have the standard mount, pet, transmog collecting as well as both guild and individual player housing. Not to mention crafting and gathering with crazy amounts of complexity and depth.

Hell, FFXI from 2002 has Inn room customization, interesting end game progression once capped (that they up rarely, creating content depth) and mounts and transmog now. What WoW does is mostly not "special" anymore, especially given how badly they have botched the writing of key lore characters dating back to Burning Crusade.

Erasing everyone's progress each expansion and hitting reset can only work so many times before people get tired of it. I think having to have multiple characters for multiple classes makes things feel even more like a grind, because at some point you've done the zone you are in a million times and everything becomes robotic.

JahIthBer

Jan 27, 2018

Maybe, if 9.0 looked extremely good people might come back in 2021, but i think Blizzard has gotten complacent & burned the fan base too many times, a lot of people came back for WOD & that expansion was half finished & just soured a ton of people again, the trust for Blizzard is thin & they have themselves to blame.

Their best bet imo is pulling an Old School Runescape on Classic WoW & adding constant new content to that, it's a subtle way of rebooting WoW & growing a new fan base while regaining some of the old.

viral

Oct 25, 2017
I think this patch looks fun. With the two new islands it looks like there are going to be a lot of outdoor/casual activites, so it's definitely worth it for me te resub for a month or two.

OP
OP
Finaj

Finaj

Oct 25, 2017
Maybe, if 9.0 looked extremely good people might come back in 2021, but i think Blizzard has gotten complacent & burned the fan base too many times, a lot of people came back for WOD & that expansion was half finished & just soured a ton of people again, the trust for Blizzard is thin & they have themselves to blame.

Their best bet imo is pulling an Old School Runescape on Classic WoW & adding constant new content to that, it's a subtle way of rebooting WoW & growing a new fan base while regaining some of the old.

By adding new content to Classic WoW, do you mean adding in old expansions like BC and WotLK, or creating brand new content for Vanilla WoW?

Spaltazar

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
the way i feel about wow is how i feel about blizzard as a whole at the moment. stopped playing early in WoD and never looked back. i don't even have a single blizzard game installed on my pc anymore. if you had told me that there would ever come a day where i dont play a blizz game i would have laughed at you some years ago lol.

kind of a shame that azshara is finally coming, in an expansion that the least amount of people are playing. the hype about her was real since classic

JahIthBer

Jan 27, 2018
By adding new content to Classic WoW, do you mean adding in old expansions like BC and WotLK, or creating brand new content for Vanilla WoW?
New content in the design of Classic.
BC & Wotlk servers won't last, because while people have strong nostalgia for them, if you compare Vanilla private servers to BC/Wotlk servers, Vanilla has 100x more players than the other 2 combined, literally 1000x more when Nost was still up.

2.4 BC & Wotlk are not good games, all the people who play it on private servers realise how quickly the game world feels dead & how bored they get. i could go into why they suck but it's a big write up & people with nostalgia are just gonna say "nuh uh"

OP
OP
Finaj

Finaj

Oct 25, 2017
New content in the design of Classic.
BC & Wotlk servers won't last, because while people have strong nostalgia for them, if you compare Vanilla private servers to BC/Wotlk servers, Vanilla has 100x more players than the other 2 combined, literally 1000x more when Nost was still up.

Hm. Interesting.

There would be issues like:

-Players being very annoyed if it doesn't fit the precise design perimeters of WoW Classic.

-Unless Blizzard hires a whole new team of designers, artists, etc. it would take away resources that could be used on the Retail game.

-Would this version of the game be an alternate timeline? The storytelling in Vanilla is very simple and sometimes nonexistent. Blizzard has gotten better at the way they do storytelling in-game, but would that be a too massive of a jump from what Vanilla offered?

-Modern WoW art assets are much more detailed and cartoony than Vanilla's assets. Using the modern texturework, technology, and art style would make it stand out -really hard- against Vanilla's more realistic style. And if they don't go that route, do they intentionally use new inferior assets to the base game?

JahIthBer

Jan 27, 2018
Hm. Interesting.

There would be issues like:

-Players being very annoyed if it doesn't fit the precise design perimeters of WoW Classic.

-Unless Blizzard hires a whole new team of designers, artists, etc. it would take away resources that could be used on the Retail game.

-Would this version of the game be an alternate timeline? The storytelling in Vanilla is very simple and sometimes nonexistent. Blizzard has gotten better at the way they do storytelling in-game, but would that be a too massive of a jump from what Vanilla offered?

-Modern WoW art assets are much more detailed and cartoony than Vanilla's assets. Using the modern texturework, technology, and art style would make it stand out -really hard- against Vanilla's more realistic style. And if they don't go that route, do they intentionally use new inferior assets to the base game?

-It wouldn't be hard to avoid Classic WoW design, just don't do overpowered catch up gear, flying mounts, free epics, LFR, portals everywhere, linear hallway dungeons, class homogenisation, arena, etc etc, all this stuff ruined the game.

-Classic had an insane amount of cut content, it shouldn't be too resource intensive to finish some of it off, the layout of Mount Hyjal is finished for example.

-Alternate timeline, while the focus on the more cinematic story can be enjoyable in new expansions, it creates it's own version of power creep, a lot of people say they are bored of BFA's story & maybe they don't know why, but when you compare it to the epicness of Legion & defeating such major galactic villains, it becomes more clear that going back to a toned down Alliance vs Horde story doesn't excite people.

-They should have enabled the new models in Classic by default anyway, they eventually will too i guarantee it, the old graphics looked bad even in 2004 & people stanning for them are just completely drunk on nostalgia to the point of stupidity.

thespartin

One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
I resubbed in April and played my mage for about 6 weeks before getting burned out again. During that time i couldn't wait for this patch to come out, but now that ive burned out again, it really just doesn't do anything for me. Especially since ive got shadowbringer pre-ordered so i can play it that Friday.

The main problem with wow from my experience is where i played my frost mage for weeks, but it was more so just something i did to relax. Playing that class is just face rolling the same 5 spells over and over again and doesn't require much actual engagement. From what ive heard, thats the case for most classes. It doesnt help that i mostly play wow for the lore so ill probably just catch up on that from a nobel video anyway and hope the next expansion is better.

OP
OP
Finaj

Finaj

Oct 25, 2017
-It wouldn't be hard to avoid Classic WoW design, just don't do overpowered catch up gear, flying mounts, free epics, LFR, portals everywhere, linear hallway dungeons, class homogenisation, arena, etc etc, all this stuff ruined the game.

-Classic had an insane amount of cut content, it shouldn't be too resource intensive to finish some of it off, the layout of Mount Hyjal is finished for example.

-Alternate timeline, while the focus on the more cinematic story can be enjoyable in new expansions, it creates it's own version of power creep, a lot of people say they are bored of BFA's story & maybe they don't know why, but when you compare it to the epicness of Legion & defeating such major galactic villains, it becomes more clear that going back to a toned down Alliance vs Horde story doesn't excite people.

-They should have enabled the new models in Classic by default anyway, they eventually will too i guarantee it, the old graphics looked bad even in 2004 & people stanning for them are just completely drunk on nostalgia to the point of stupidity.

-Fair enough. Although I don't think any of that stuff ruined the game (I wouldn't be raiding at all without LFR).

-Finishing and adding in cut content like Hyjal, the Dragon Isles, the Emerald Dream, the Isle of Doctor Lapidis, and Northern Lordaeron is actually a great idea. Maybe we could even get alternate versions of Gilneas, Quel'Thalas, and Outland.

-I actually like the Alliance vs Horde story in BfA (barring Sylvanas). I just doesn't think cosmic evils on the scale of The Legion/Old Gods provide for interesting character interactions. If anything, those big evils cause a lot of characters to become evil through "corruption," rather than, you know, actual character motivations. I hate it and I hope the game moves away from it.

-Agreed. Vanilla WoW is ugly. The WoW art team (along with the music team) have never let players down even once (well... maybe with the Female Worgen, but they're fixing that!).

Pendas

Oct 28, 2017
This would only work if Blizzard got away from their "mythic, raid or PvP" gear treadmill. I played WoW for years but end game (from Vanilla to BFA) has always been dry and lacking depth. WoW's other problem is that they've always struggled at telling their narrative in an engaging way.

FFXIV can get around this by going full bore into complex story while also having things like the Golden Saucer as fun side attractions they update regularly. They also have the standard mount, pet, transmog collecting as well as both guild and individual player housing. Not to mention crafting and gathering with crazy amounts of complexity and depth.

Hell, FFXI from 2002 has Inn room customization, interesting end game progression once capped (that they up rarely, creating content depth) and mounts and transmog now. What WoW does is mostly not "special" anymore, especially given how badly they have botched the writing of key lore characters dating back to Burning Crusade.

Erasing everyone's progress each expansion and hitting reset can only work so many times before people get tired of it. I think having to have multiple characters for multiple classes makes things feel even more like a grind, because at some point you've done the zone you are in a million times and everything becomes robotic.

Expanding on this. I recently watched a video that made a great point about WoW and FFXIV. WoW has expanded so much on it's "gear treadmill" philosophy, that it encapsulates more than 90% of the content they make. They also tried to expand on this by introducing gear RNG, so players always have a stat stick to chase. They're tripling down on the numbers game, and everything they make is for the sake of getting better gear.

FFXIV on the other hand, only about 30% of the content they create is about raiding and gear. There are a ton of other things to do on the side that's actually fun like Housing, crafting, gathering, gold saucer, chocobo raising, minion fighting, PvP, Palace of the Dead, etc. Not everything in FFXIV revolves around getting the best gear. It's refreshing to have other things to do, and have the developers support these other activities as well. It also sets a completely different mood for the community. Since there isn't a carrot on a stick to constantly chase, people are more open to teaching people new things and engaging with others.

OP
OP
Finaj

Finaj

Oct 25, 2017
How does FF XIV design it's housing?

Housing in WoW has been scrapped so many times by devs it's ridiculous. It would need to provide incentive to go to your house, but also make sure that doesn't encourage players not to go out into the world (Garrisons had this problem).

Anoregon

Oct 25, 2017
-Fair enough. Although I don't think any of that stuff ruined the game (I wouldn't be raiding at all without LFR).

-Finishing and adding in cut content like Hyjal, the Dragon Isles, the Emerald Dream, the Isle of Doctor Lapidis, and Northern Lordaeron is actually a great idea. Maybe we could even get alternate versions of Gilneas, Quel'Thalas, and Outland.

There was a real bare bones version of Outland designed as a vanilla zone, basically Hellfire peninsula. It didn't get very far into development before being reworked for TBC though.

Pendas

Oct 28, 2017

Housing in WoW has been scrapped so many times by devs it's ridiculous. It would need to provide incentive to go to your house, but also make sure that doesn't encourage players not to go out into the world (Garrisons had this problem).

Ion is that you??
Seriously though, 14 has actual houses and Plots that people can buy. The areas themselves are instanced, but the homes are not. Most instances have about 40-60 houses. People can walk into your house (if you set the right permissions) and you can walk into other peoples houses. You can choose from hundreds and hundreds of pieces of furniture. You can set music for your house, have gardening plots to grow resources, create crafting stations to make rare items, and a stable to customize and raise your chocobo Mount. They also come in different sizes from small cottages, to giant mansions. Guilds (Free Companies) can also have their own house, and each individual member can have their own rented room they can customize how they want.

Scuffed

Oct 28, 2017
Meh. Some good changes but way too late. I'm going be playing PoE and random other stuff until Classic comes out then lose my life to that until the next expansion. BFA is a wash imo.

gilko79

Oct 27, 2017
Ivalice
I stopped playing in Legion. I saw BfA CE for sub $30 last month and decided to pick it up (if for no other reason than to add it to my collection of all the other WoW CEs). I've felt zero desire to resub, sadly. I will most likely wait to see what the next expansion is before deciding whether or not to come back.

Sorry to add to the negativity. I know there's still fun to be had with this game and I hope those of you still playing enjoy the patch. As for me, well... here's hoping they're able to right the ship in the future. In the meantime I'll be checking out the FFXIV and/or ESO expansions.

Minthara

Freelance Market Director
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Montreal

FFXIV solves the "Garrison problem" by actually having interesting things to do out in the world. For instance, daily hunt logs to do, dailies, FATEs, weekly objectives people complete for EXP, gold and currency and a whole bunch of other reasons to not sit in your house. And that is with the AH and bank being accessible from your personal house (or close enough to it).

The other way XIV gets people out in the world is by having everything on one character, there's never a reason to not be doing SOMETHING. In a dungeon queue? Switch to another job and kill some enemies, or fish, or do other stuff. If you REALLY want to sit in your house all day, you can, but you end up missing out. Places like the Gold Saucer encourage daily visits without it feeling mandatory.