• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
May 9, 2018
Obviously due to the coronavirus/lockdowns.

worldofwarcraft.com

The Winds of Wisdom 100% Experience Buff Extended! - WoW

Due to the popularity of the Winds of Wisdom 100% experience buff in Battle for Azeroth, we’re extending its benefit through to the release of the Shadowlands pre-patch!

If you're staying inside and find yourself returning to Azeroth, or if you're leveling another character (or two), you'll be getting a special bonus to help you on your way. Beginning today through April 20, 2020 all players in Battle for Azeroth will gain an experience buff called "Winds of Wisdom" which will increase experience gains by 100%! (This includes Starter Edition and Legion players as well.)

Players will also be able to take advantage of this experience boost while still using their favorite heirlooms. It won't take long before you'll be facing off with the Old God N'Zoth and his minions in Ny'alotha, the Waking City.

If you haven't been in the loop for WoW a bit:
  • Leveling was "fixed", and the 60-80 slog has been eliminated.
  • Blizzard just did a hotfix to allow sharing Rank 3 Essences with alts (with caveats).
  • ...there still isn't much new to do in 8.3 though.
Note: Retail only, not Classic.

Last edited:

wbloop

Oct 26, 2017
Germany
God, I would love something like that for FF14. I still have to play the latest expansion, so I need to level up to see the story. :D

ChrisR

Oct 26, 2017
Are they still awarding free copies of BoA to people who ding 60 in classic?

WarMacheen

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Great, time to finally level my 8th and 9th alts to 120

The BFA cloak and essences on alts can fuck right off though, even with the essence update.

Fjordson

Oct 25, 2017
Nice!

I'm stuck working at home for at least the next 6 weeks so I've been getting back into Classic, but this may prompt me to start leveling some alts on Retail in preparation for Shadowlands.

Necrokey

Jan 20, 2019
Orlando, Florida
meh, cant bring myself to level toons even with this buff knowing the rework in shadowlands. Maybe i will try and get my Vulperra to 120 and see how it feels.

Couleurs

Oct 25, 2017
Denver, CO
I quit about a month into BFA; does Shadowlands look promising enough to make it worth returning for, or is it looking like more of the same?

I remember the old sentiment about every other expansion being good as Blizzard addresses the complaints of the previous expansion to get you to buy the new one, so hopefully this still holds true.

Finaj

Oct 25, 2017
I quit about a month into BFA; does Shadowlands look promising enough to make it worth returning for, or is it looking like more of the same?

I remember the old sentiment about every other expansion being good as Blizzard addresses the complaints of the previous expansion to get you to buy the new one, so hopefully this still holds true.

Honestly, not enough has been stated about Shadowlands for anyone to make a call on that. Between Blizzcon having less info than usual and the fact that we still haven't gotten an un-encrypted Alpha build, Blizzard seems to be either taking their time or is just behind on development (which the Caronavirus will make worse).

There seems to be a lot of good quality of life and overall design philosophy decisions, but those could change at any time.

Mercador

Nov 18, 2017
Quebec City
I haven't played since Warlords(?), the one with the garrison, it makes cities empty, it was a bit sad. But I had a lot of fun with this game, I wonder if it would run on a Surface.

Magnus

Oct 25, 2017
People still ragging on the idea of a sub price? Man, for all the entertainment value this game gives me, $15 is pocket change. It's the same as Nintendo games barely ever going on sale. Shit still sells, because it's good. I'm sure when subs one day dip to a truly unhealthy category (by Blizzard's standards), we'll see a new low price of $7.99 or $9.99 for subs and people will come back in droves again.

And yeah, this month-long COVID buff is awesome. Great way to engage the altoholic community too while the true leveling revamp gets underway for (hopefully) summer or fall release. With that future revamp estimated to take half the time of the current levelling slog, this buff makes the length of the current slog from 1-120 about the same as the future revamp, so I'm all in. See you guys in Azeroth!

(also, lol at all the people asking for the buff to be applied in Classic on Reddit and gen chat forums -- no, you can't have it. You wanted the vanilla experience without any modern buffs, modifications, QOL enhancements -- enjoy as is!)

WoW team's doing right now with the goodwill push lately -- between the recent hotfixes/updates to 8.3 and today's new buff, it's a great time to play alts again.

Magnus

Oct 25, 2017
60-80 slog? i LOVED levelling those.

Great zones (in terms of theme/story/etc.) but a total slog compared to 1-60 and 80-120. The oldest quest design in the game, the shittiest grind-to-reward ratio for experience -- the verdict is fairly unanimous with levellers the past few years that 60-80 is where everything feels like it slows down tremendously. Thankfully, they righted that ship a BIT last year when they introduced the option to spend that whole range of 20 levels in either BC or Wrath, so people could actually explore the full questing experience across all BC or all Wrath zones (and I believe they slashed the xp numbers too).

Ryuelli

Oct 26, 2017
I wonder how fast leveling with this is compared to how fast it'll be after all of the Shadowlands changes.

Ryuelli

Oct 26, 2017

Shadowlands sounds like it's going to be incredible for alts. I haven't been as excited for an expansion since Pandaria. I don't think we've seen enough of Shadowlands to make a complete judgement yet, but it does sound like Warlords --> Legion all over again where they decided Warlords (in this case BFA) wasn't really worth saving and largely left a skeleton crew in charge of it while the rest transitioned to the development of Legion (Shadowlands).

Finaj

Oct 25, 2017
Shadowlands sounds like it's going to be incredible for alts. I haven't been as excited for an expansion since Pandaria. I don't think we've seen enough of Shadowlands to make a complete judgement yet, but it does sound like Warlords --> Legion all over again where they decided Warlords (in this case BFA) wasn't really worth saving and largely left a skeleton crew in charge of it while the rest transitioned to the development of Legion (Shadowlands).

The difference between Warlords and BfA is that while Warlords was quickly abandoned after 2 patches (the first of which's biggest feature was a selfie camera), BfA seemed to get just as much patch content as Legion did.

Fjordson

Oct 25, 2017

It does look promising, though it's tough to say for sure right now. Still a bit early.

Also, while BFA has sucked overall, I would say the game currently is definitely in a better state than it was for the first year or so of BFA. The last major patch was solid and they've put out some good recent hotfixes to further improve it.

Wintermute

Oct 27, 2017
just been testing this. i never bothered to create a death knight, but decided to try one this week. with this buff i'm ripping through levels extremely quickly.