• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Oct 25, 2017
BC is a good expansion, but man did it take huge strides towards the retail mentality that I do not like.

All quests are now neatly packaged and streamlined in nearby hubs - there is no surprise or curveballs anywhere.
Dungeons are now streamlined corridors from A to B, no attempts at making them feel like actual, lived in places.
Faction identity is ruined by the new races and the class swaps of Pala/Sham. Not to mention everyone gets to stay in one hub city.
The less said about flying the better.

Vanilla is still, by far, the better experience - warts and all.
I love BC dearly but no lies detected here.

zeknurn

Oct 25, 2017
BC is a good expansion, but man did it take huge strides towards the retail mentality that I do not like.

All quests are now neatly packaged and streamlined in nearby hubs - there is no surprise or curveballs anywhere.
Dungeons are now streamlined corridors from A to B, no attempts at making them feel like actual, lived in places.
Faction identity is ruined by the new races and the class swaps of Pala/Sham. Not to mention everyone gets to stay in one hub city.

This is the truth. It's why I'm legit considering getting out now instead of leveling up in tbc and getting hooked on raiding every week for the whole lifespan again.

I'll be back for Classic Fresh in either case tho. God I hope Ashes is able to capture the feeling of Vanilla/Classic so that I can have an alternative to playing Classic every time they re-release it.

Outlaw

Oct 25, 2017
Texas

I used to only tank the first few expansions. A to B worked for me because I don't have to worry about paths, just proper pulling.

Mythic+ brought in stuff like shortcuts and paths that get popularized and if you don't run them that way you get the boot. That shit is anxiety inducing.

Tension Mask

Oct 28, 2017

I still feel like the improvements in TBC, and the superior endgame, put it over the top of vanilla, but those are very legitimate points. In some aspects Blizzard was already on the wrong track.

Dysun

Oct 25, 2017
Miami
Cleared Karazhan last night aside from Nightbane, was a lot of fun. Full Naxx gear is like equivalent to pre raid BIS so it wasn't too bad

Yari

Oct 25, 2017
Question, what do level60+ players do with greens. I can't break them down for enchanting mats, so my only option is AH. But I guess most people arent going to buy level50-70 greens anymore huh. Safe to vendor them all?

PeskyToaster

Oct 27, 2017
Made it to 66! I've replaced a couple pieces of gear but nothing too crazy yet. I expect some of my weaker pieces to go soon though. I feel the rewards creeping up in power.

RedSparrows

Prophet of Regret
Feb 22, 2019
Question, what do level60+ players do with greens. I can't break them down for enchanting mats, so my only option is AH. But I guess most people arent going to buy level50-70 greens anymore huh. Safe to vendor them all?

Unless enchanting, yeah, vendor. Very few people will buy a green as they'll be easily getting the same/better imminently.

Mar 3, 2018
Hey yall, I wanna casually play classic and TBC. Used to play a lot during WotLK until BFA and raided.

My question is; is anyone playing classic anyone? I assume I'm gonna have to mostly do quests since barely anyone is in classic therefore running dungeons is gonna be impossible?

Anyway, excited to jump in and rekindle old memories.

Tension Mask

Oct 28, 2017
Hey yall, I wanna casually play classic and TBC. Used to play a lot during WotLK until BFA and raided.

My question is; is anyone playing classic anyone? I assume I'm gonna have to mostly do quests since barely anyone is in classic therefore running dungeons is gonna be impossible?

Anyway, excited to jump in and rekindle old memories.

If you level on a vanilla server, it will be pretty sparse right now. If you level on a TBC server, you'll have company as people are leveling blood elves and draenei.

Oct 25, 2017
Cincinnati
If you level on a vanilla server, it will be pretty sparse right now. If you level on a TBC server, you'll have company as people are leveling blood elves and draenei.

I have been leveling a NE Hunter and I have seen people everywhere in TBCC, not just the new races, seems like a ton of people either started new characters or a bunch of people just decided to join for TBCC.

BeepBoop

Nov 24, 2019

Depends on stats and what piece, like Tank gear can sell fairly easy

PeskyToaster

Oct 27, 2017
green gear is so cheap on Whitemane. I just replaced everything I had (quest blues) at 62 and now I do BIG PUMPER warlock damage.

I still feel pretty powerful as a naxx-geared warrior at this point just cleaving through everything but I do also kind of feel a sense of impending doom. My destiny as the blood frenzy bot.

CreepingFear

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Made it to lvl 70 yesterday. Said fuck it and bought tome of water, food, and arcane brilliance 2. Was getting tired of the crappy food/water and group buffs. Spent like 500g. Someone made it rich off my impatient ass.

PugSith

Mar 8, 2018
Playing a Warlock (66) and Mage (61) in TBClassic.

I holy priest healed all the way through actual TBC so crazy DPS is so much fun, planning on starting raiding on the warlock and keep the mage in reserve in case.

It seems to be slightly easier managing threat on the warlock, DPS is around the same figures but throwing up dots creates a lot less threat than three frostbolt crits in a row (which normally sends the mobs running towards me)

Hycran

The Fallen
Oct 30, 2017
User Banned (3 Days): Ableist Meme
Get all this TBC content out of my classic wow thread Reeeee

Yari

Oct 25, 2017
Is feral druid the best way to randomly grind stuff (not dungeons or raids) across the world or can I look at other ways. I leveled up as feral and wondering what to do on 70.

I am nowhere near the 5k for the mount. Hoping to find some good ways to grind gold when I hit 70.

PeskyToaster

Oct 27, 2017
Is feral druid the best way to randomly grind stuff (not dungeons or raids) across the world or can I look at other ways. I leveled up as feral and wondering what to do on 70.

I am nowhere near the 5k for the mount. Hoping to find some good ways to grind gold when I hit 70.

I can tell you that I farmed a lot of motes/Primals back in the day for my money and I think it's still viable. There are quite a few spots where certain elementals congregate but the farming might be contested. Still it's good money.

The Benz

Oct 27, 2017
It's fucking embarrassing how hard rogues gatekeep the items they want. It's nearly impossible to find a group for Black Morass or any heroic as melee dps because they'd rather waste their groups time finding someone who they won't have to roll against.

apathetic

Oct 25, 2017
It's fucking embarrassing how hard rogues gatekeep the items they want. It's nearly impossible to find a group for Black Morass or any heroic as melee dps because they'd rather waste their groups time finding someone who they won't have to roll against.

I can appreciate their position. It's hard for them to get groups in the first place and the only thing they can do is melee dps so it's not like they have options. Don't know how it is in Classic BC, but know in normal Classic it was a struggle since everyone was now rolling on dps leather.

Alternatively, dps is easy to find so it is rarely wasting their groups time, just theirs if they have to roll against 2 other people, not to mention the tank and healer if they are going off spec to get the same gear.

Hycran

The Fallen
Oct 30, 2017
Get all this TBC content out of my classic wow thread Reeeee

Apparently I got banned for this comment as something that is ableist? I have no idea how some mod arrived at that conclusion.

I've been slammed with work but im constantly tempted to log in to classic just for a month just to run around and enjoy the scenery in peace. Maybe one day when i get more free time.

apathetic

Oct 25, 2017
Apparently I got banned for this comment as something that is ableist? I have no idea how some mod arrived at that conclusion.

The "reeee" meme is connected to mocking the mentally disabled. It's understandable that you may not have known that/it wasn't your intention as there are a number of things that just become ingrained and used without knowing the meaning but it is still something that it looked down upon.

Yari

Oct 25, 2017
I can tell you that I farmed a lot of motes/Primals back in the day for my money and I think it's still viable. There are quite a few spots where certain elementals congregate but the farming might be contested. Still it's good money.
Yeah I've been grinding Thick Clefthoof Leather for a long time now, almost the entirety of 69->70. Sadly they dropped in value a ton as I was doing it. First batch sold for 5 gold each, now barely 3 gold. But still an easy grind. Was told quests offer good gold when level capped so might move towards that next. And hopefully catch the mote areas when they arent as populated.

Hope I can respec the druid to healer and still viably grind in the world. I want to make a warlock next too.

Cipherr

Oct 26, 2017

I've been slammed with work but im constantly tempted to log in to classic just for a month just to run around and enjoy the scenery in peace. Maybe one day when i get more free time.

Yeah thats bad luck, I havent used the term but I also just recently found out is has a nasty connection. Its getting harder to try and keep up with every little thing on the internet these days.
We getting old.

Hycran

The Fallen
Oct 30, 2017
In any event, I guess I'll just continue to not visit this website as i'm sure something else will be taken completely out of context or overblown for no good reason.

I got 3 days free play time so I logged into classic and fairbanks which was one of the bigger population centres had 42 people total on, a complete ghost town. Maybe they should just make classic wow free to play completely and try to incentivize people into subbing for tbc/retail? Theres literally no point in maintaining these servers with so few people...

PeskyToaster

Oct 27, 2017

damn if that ain't how it went. Except I bailed a lot sooner, pretty much done after WotLK though I played Cata a bit. WotLK is definitely the tipping point for me even though it's a great game and I had a blast at the time. The 'Classic' mentality was still alive in TBC but is definitely dead in WotLK. Unless their plan for these Classic releases changes radically, I'm done after TBC for sure.

In any event, I guess I'll just continue to not visit this website as i'm sure something else will be taken completely out of context or overblown for no good reason.

To be fair, it was in context. You used the term properly as it was intended, you just didn't know the origins of it. It's meant to invoke and mock the way people with more severe cases of autism communicate and express themselves because they can't do so through language. Basically another way to call something "retarded" which has thankfully died down in recent years (though as we can see, other terms took its place). Nothing wrong with getting a timeout if you learn something from it.

Hycran

The Fallen
Oct 30, 2017
To be fair, it was in context. You used the term properly as it was intended, you just didn't know the origins of it. It's meant to invoke and mock the way people with more severe cases of autism communicate and express themselves because they can't do so through language. Basically another way to call something "retarded" which has thankfully died down in recent years (though as we can see, other terms took its place). Nothing wrong with getting a timeout if you learn something from it.

Like a lot of people on this website I'm a liberal and tolerant person, but REE is so far removed from anyone's knowledge about its origins that getting a ban for its origins just doesn't make sense. I could ask 100 people on the street what it means and not a single one would know it's an "ableist slur".

by the same logic, people should receive bans for using the word "lame" or "idiot" or "moron" as all of those were themselves slurs if you go back far enough.

if you look at Google and other analytics Resetera is becoming increasingly more and more irrelevant. Overzealous moderation certainly isn't helping.

WARCRAFT.

i used my three free days to log into classic servers, utter ghost town what a tragedy.

Cipherr

Oct 26, 2017
i used my three free days to log into classic servers, utter ghost town what a tragedy.

Surveys going out for fresh classic servers, world buffless raids, classic+ content being developed and more:

o0mkmfcfmb771.png

List of the questions they asked on wowhead. Sounds like they felt a sub drop or something with TBC classic? Or the feedback finally reached someone? But they are asking. Even classic Alterac Valley is on the list. Not gonna lie, some of that stuff would really get me to try a Classic+ while I wait on WOTLK.

Perfect Chaos

Oct 25, 2017
Charlottesville, VA, USA
Surveys going out for fresh classic servers, world buffless raids, classic+ content being developed and more:

List of the questions they asked on wowhead. Sounds like they felt a sub drop or something with TBC classic? Or the feedback finally reached someone? But they are asking. Even classic Alterac Valley is on the list. Not gonna lie, some of that stuff would really get me to try a Classic+ while I wait on WOTLK.
Idk, it mostly seems like they're trying to figure out what exactly you can do with these Classic servers once most people move on to the next/latest thing. If/when they bring out Wrath, there are going to be some people who want to hang back in TBC. Trying to find out what makes these classic expansions sustainable once they've done their patch cycle will be a big deal as time goes on, especially when they get to the end of Wrath and have to decide what the hell they do, because I doubt very many people who wanted Classic to begin with will want to jump to Cata.

Hycran

The Fallen
Oct 30, 2017
These questions show how rotten Blizzard has become. Just open fresh servers as is and fuck off.

the only thing I've wanted is progressive itemization and talents and BG's, Otherwise it's fine as is

PeskyToaster

Oct 27, 2017
Did my first Gruul's yesterday. Wiped once then we got him. I'm not even close to pre-raid BiS and I wasn't last on damage as the arms warrior so I felt good lol. I'm thinking about switching to fury though. I'm not a huge fan of how arms plays in PvE and I know I'll have a raid spot. Plus it seems fury does better dps than what people were expecting. According to the rankings for Kara it's Hunter, Warlock, mage, then warrior.

Hycran

The Fallen
Oct 30, 2017
All this drama about the population balance is so cringe. In comparison to the classic hype, the TBC player base all seem to be miserable and just non stop whining. Really, really glad i'm not playing anymore.

RedSparrows

Prophet of Regret
Feb 22, 2019
Yeah this is just gamers about WoW I think.

The wider issue with Classic, original and TBC alike, has always been min max ultra optimised flavour of the month bollocks has impacted things like server health. We had to migrate because Alliance simply got extinguished due to everyone playing a fucking Undead Warlock or Orc Hunter because Zug.

Hycran

The Fallen
Oct 30, 2017
As if Classic wasn't just as bad.

Whatever you gotta tell yourself though.

If you check the player population for classic, it was about 53-47 horde, now its 60-40. Thousands of people are re-rolling horde for pvp racials. So yeah, it is worse. I don't have to tell myself anything, the wow forums and reddit speak for themselves.

I don't actively want the game to be bad, I want people to enjoy themselves. Its just obvious that they dont have that same love or passion for TBC that they did for classic.

And yes, Min-max culture is definitely a thing, and it gets actively worse in TBC as the raids being quite a bit harder and some classes being quite a bit stronger than others incentivizes people more than it did in Classic. For some people thats not an issue, but when you see undead and orc making up over 50% of all raid comps, its obvious that the game is being too heavily swayed by that stuff, which again, is obviously leading to play dissatisfaction.

Thornquist

Jan 22, 2018
Norway
I always disagreed with the idea that Vanilla-BC-Wotlk was the "classic" era, and the game went to shit after that.

It happened gradually, some of it with Vanilla patches, but definitely with TBC and more when WotLK came.

The wider issue with Classic, original and TBC alike, has always been min max ultra optimised flavour of the month bollocks has impacted things like server health. We had to migrate because Alliance simply got extinguished due to everyone playing a fucking Undead Warlock or Orc Hunter because Zug.
I disagree. Some of it is the easy access to information that we have today, but most is design.
A good listen is Kevin Jordan on twitch, one of the original Vanilla game-designers. He despises meta-gameplay and min-maxing, and he keeps saying he always put up a fight against it, but lost out against the majority of Blizzard devs.

Last edited:

gutshot

Oct 25, 2017
Toscana, Italy
All this drama about the population balance is so cringe. In comparison to the classic hype, the TBC player base all seem to be miserable and just non stop whining. Really, really glad i'm not playing anymore.

how does people whining on reddit affect you when you are actually playing the game tho? as long as you aren't on a horribly imbalanced server, it's just a sideshow that you can easily tune out by, y'know, not browsing reddit.

PeskyToaster

Oct 27, 2017

Also the problem with min-maxing and the meta is that it's an entirely self-made problem. None of the content is hard enough that you need to optimize the shit out of it and suck the fun. When I originally played TBC as a cat druid I remember we sapped and sheeped and trapped on every pull of a heroic, took out mobs one at a time. Now as a fury warrior I still just AoE for the most part and maybe we CC a problematic mob on occasion.

Again, as a fury warrior, I do feel the brunt of the perception that I'm not the top dog dps class anymore when it comes to getting in a group but it's just not represented in the experience of the game for me. The only thing I struggle to outdps is seed of corruption spam and mage AoE if the pack is large enough. Most packs are optimal for Sweeping Strikes/Whirlwind/Cleave so I'm doing like 1k dps while not even preraid BiS. Definitely keeping up with those flavor of the month classes but it's hard to break the perception.

Shane

Oct 25, 2017

Just a late response to this because I got the itch again to check out TBC, and realize all the reasons I lost interest way back when are still valid.

Was enjoying it a bit, but I suddenly hit Shattrath City and it's just... bleh. Flying mounts everywhere, annoying terrain and lifts until you have a flying mount, and it's just, all the charm from Vanilla when I really truly loved WoW just seems gone. That sense of wonder in the world just doesn't hit me the same way.

RedSparrows

Prophet of Regret
Feb 22, 2019
I am enjoying TBC a lot, and whilst the 'streamlined' element is true, I think it's easy to overstate the shift. Vanilla WoW will always be my favourite, but the dungeon difficulty and crafting exchanges of TBC are just as encouraging of community aspects as anything in Vanilla.

RecLib

Oct 27, 2017
I didn't exactly keep up a play blog or anything, but I figured I'd come to thread and mention my sister and I did hit 70. We found a few players who were playing at about the same pace as us who we got along with, so it was great that we were able to easily do regular dungeon groups when we wanted. It definitely felt like the questing zones frequently dried out of experience without getting exp from dungeons at a regular rate.

I had gone alchemy, and while I enjoyed it for leveling kind of regret it now at end game as the way the economy is shaped, at least on my server, it's a pretty dead profession. Crafting materials for flasks are heavily farmed on respawn meaning I pretty much have to buy most of it, they cost as much as the flasks sell for, which is to say my ability to craft my own flasks is almost meaningless, as I could buy them for the same rate I pay to make my own, and they sell for as much as it would cost me to make them at a near net zero. My specialization in flasks almost never procs.
Meanwhile my sister's tailoring has been able to make some extremely good gear and she's working towards building a few pieces that are better than anything we have found in heroic dungeons, and her enchanting has been an amazing source of free money as any dungeon gear that drops that none of us want, she takes and disenchants and the group just splits the auction house money she makes from it, which is much more than it was going to sell for to a vendor.
Not sure what else I would have done profession wise as a mage, maybe I could have tried jewelcrafting I don't know. Too late now though, not going to reset a profession to 0 and do all that grinding again.

We've been running through heroics and made a guild with a bunch of the people we met while leveling, and are going to give karazhan our first try in a little bit, when 10 of us are all able to get together and actually dedicate a few hours to it.

Special shoutout to questie, the mod that made the leveling game playable. I can't imagine playing through this game trying to figure where obscurely they want me to go off of some of those quest descriptions. I've played older games without quest markers before, and usually they give you the info needed to find the quest objective in dialogue or whatever. Warcraft will be like "hey, I lost my necklace somewhere in this area, can you go to the exact spot on the opposite side of the map I'm talking about, but all I'm going to tell you is I lost it vaguely to the south of here even though its way more to the west than it is south."

Edit: not really looking to bump this thread, with all the shit that came out about blizzard since the last time I posted, but I thought I would edit my post with a final thing in case anyone stumbles back to this thread. With my guild my sister and I were able to complete Karazhan 11/11, Grulls, and Magtheridon. That is every raid currently available in the game, so I feel really happy saying I got to experience the end game of classic wow, and can say I know what that experience was like.

Odds are low we would have kept playing with school starting up soon, but I think there is a chance we would have tried to "raid log" at least, and see if we could have kept progressing with our guild. As it happens, blizzard turned out to be real pieces of shit and we are letting our subs lapse. We genuinely had a good time with this game though, I can see why it was so special.

Here's my mages likely final appearance.
Byv0S1S.png

Last edited:

Hycran

The Fallen
Oct 30, 2017
Love how they got rid of /spit because so many people were spitting on people who bought dark portal passes. I'm so glad I got to play classic in its somewhat faithful form compared to the TBC cash grab bastardized version people are suffering through now. Only a matter of time before the wow token is in..,