• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Dunlop

Oct 25, 2017
I'm having this conflict every day. This game is amazing, but time eater...
I'm actually glad this didn't release a month earlier as it would have fully had it's hooks in me.

I work full time, my university night courses just started for the new semester,as well as my kids sports tryouts so pretty much by next week I have no nights free.

I would have ended up staying up ungodly late each night to squeeze time in.

Maple

Oct 27, 2017
Just curious...how does everyone feel about new original content coming to WoW Classic?

There was a big reddit thread on this and most people kind of wanted it to happen. For example, a new 40 man raid introduced after Naxx with new tier sets. New level 60 zones and dungeons.

I'm a WoW Classic purist, but I have to admit, something like this would make me extremely excited.

tastybread

Oct 27, 2017
Just curious...how does everyone feel about new original content coming to WoW Classic?

There was a big reddit thread on this and most people kind of wanted it to happen. For example, a new 40 man raid introduced after Naxx with new tier sets. New level 60 zones and dungeons.

I'm a WoW Classic purist, but I have to admit, something like this would make me extremely excited.
Those Designers who built the WoW you/everyone loved are pretty much long gone surely? Tbh after WoTLK everything Activision Blizzard made just seemed so bad. Modern Blizzard doesn't hold a candle to what made the company great. So the idea of these new guys making content doesn't fill me with the same glee :D

So many ppl slam retail WoW, but surely it would be those designers that would be creating the new content for Classic :p

MadMike

Oct 27, 2017

It would be kind of neat, but there's no way it's going to happen. Blizzard already struggles to make 1 expansion every 2 or so years. Now they're suddenly going to be putting out quality content for two MMOs simultaneously?

Even if they did do it, how far does it go? Do they rebalance classes so each actually has more than one viable option?

If they did a "Classic+" version, my bet is it would be mostly QoL features added, and optional activities that already exist in WoW. Things like the mount tab and pet battles.

My vote is for them to just continue with the expansions. Make TBC servers and then WotLK servers, etc. Give people the option of sticking on pure Classic servers or migrating to the new expansion.

Allietraa

Prophet of Truth
Mar 13, 2019
imo since we're on the #NoChanges train I don't want new content. Move on to TBC when we run through Classic

Napalm_Frank

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Finland
Man, is it too much to ask for an expansion that combines the good stuff of classic with the good stuff of modern WoW.

For example I really like classic so far but man the boss design in dungeons is braindead and unexciting. Also it's a bummer to know some specs are super lacking behind in late game unless Blizz decides to do a surprise balance patch.

Napalm_Frank

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Finland

OkayGuy.jpg

Karlinel

Prophet of Truth
Banned
Nov 10, 2017
Mallorca, Spain
Man, is it too much to ask for an expansion that combines the good stuff of classic with the good stuff of modern WoW.

For example I really like classic so far but man the boss design in dungeons is braindead and unexciting. Also it's a bummer to know some specs are super lacking behind in late game unless Blizz decides to do a surprise balance patch.
You basically ask for MMO perfection, with a great world and inmersion, incredible balance and perfect performance in a baked potato...

Napalm_Frank

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Finland
You basically ask for MMO perfection, with a great world and inmersion, incredible balance and perfect performance in a baked potato...
The thing is, I feel like they could ""easily"" do it if they wanted to. For example I quite really liked Legion as it was but it could have been absolutely incredible with just some different design aims while retaining 80% of what it was.

OrangeNova

Oct 30, 2017
Canada

I wouldn't mind Classic+, where they continue to add content to Classic, unique to Classic

Poppy

Oct 25, 2017
richmond, va
i mean considering the quality of most original wow boss encounters, assuming they have the tools available, you could prettymuch take an existing structure set and put in some gigantimax normal mobs with names and reused abilities and call it a new instance if you tuned it well

maybe record two voice lines for the end boss

or they could do like, remix bosses with different abilities and numbers, and make different loot

i dunno make like a randomized raid after naxx somewhere just for funsies

Perfect Chaos

Oct 25, 2017
Charlottesville, VA, USA
The biggest issue with just running through the expansions is that there are people who are playing Classic for Classic. They don't want TBC or Wrath. And if they were to give us an option to branch, you just end up splitting the Classic community 3 ways. I love TBC, but I can recognize that forcing people into it that just want vanilla WoW might not be the brightest idea.

A "Classic+" would be really neat - the content wouldn't be as resource intensive since you could get by with a lot of asset reuse, classes wouldn't really need to be touched (outside of maybe a soft balance pass to make some people more than useless), and any new assets wouldn't need as much TLC animation/art-wise as retail WoW ones get. That said, I can totally see where Blizz would be hesitant to do something like that given that they're now using that same $15 a month to support two games instead of just one.

carlsojo

Oct 28, 2017
San Francisco

Maybe what they could do is use cut content/stuff that was never used? Like the Emerald Dream stuff that's been in since Vanilla.

Poppy

Oct 25, 2017
richmond, va
i like how emerald nightmare was a meme for like 13 years and then it came out and i beat maybe half of it then said meh i'm done and quit wow again

of course they had to go and murder ysera too

Oct 25, 2017
Did blizzard hotfix the Cvar command to extend range of enemy nameplates to 60 yards?

edit: Yep looks like they blocked the script.

Poppy

Oct 25, 2017
richmond, va
i think that generally refers to mass aoe parties so you just pull everything and nuke it all down to make it as fast as possible

like playing wrath of the lich king

derder

Banned
Nov 1, 2017
I think they should go down two paths -> progression servers and OG with small bits of new content. After we reach the end of the planned phases. you get a choice to transfer to a progression server.

Oct 25, 2017
I hear that term thrown around alot, what does that entail exactly?
It's a specific setup
3 imp blizzard specced mages
1 priest
1 warlock

The warlock summons eye of kilrogg
The priest bubbles the eye
The warlock runs the eye into room to safely wrangle up as many enemy as possible while the party sets up out of LoS in a choke point.
Mages then take turns using frost nova while everyone AoE's down the pack.

It's crazy effective.

Mantrox

Oct 27, 2017
It's a specific setup
3 imp blizzard specced mages
1 priest
1 warlock

The warlock summons eye of kilrogg
The priest bubbles the eye
The warlock runs the eye into room to safely wrangle up as many enemy as possible while the party sets up out of LoS in a choke point.
Mages then take turns using frost nova while everyone AoE's down the pack.

It's crazy effective.
Aha! I see. That makes sense.
Thanks.

Topper

Oct 27, 2017
Bring on classic+ with fresh content please, I don't want TBC or flying mounts. I'll sub for a year immediately if they announce something like OSRS does

Finaj

Oct 25, 2017
I just hope they don't take away developers from the retail game in order to create content for Classic.

As shown by the cancellation of the Starcraft FPS project, they already have too much on their plate.

Chiramii

Oct 25, 2017
Norway
I hear that term thrown around alot, what does that entail exactly?
Is it just, big pulls and position the mobs to receive cleave dmg, or something else?
Pretty much. Usually it is a Tank/Priest/Mage/Mage/Warlock setup.

Warlock pulls with Eye of Kilrog which is shielded by the priest, pulls a crazy amount of enemies, lets the eye die, enemies run back to warlock where tank takes aggro before mages aoe them down. Rinse and repeat!

Edit: or a setup like the one mentioned above. The concept is still the same :p

Mar 3, 2018
I'm on the same boat as some others have echoed here; I think I might end up cancelling my subscription. I am really enjoying playing the game at nights nights after work and class, but I have somewhat of an extreme personality. By that I mean that I don't see a point in playing this game casually, and would only get enjoyment if I played a lot and do grinds, attunements, pvp, raiding etc. And for that I would have to invest a lot of time into it which I cannot sacrifice my current lifestyle for.

Not judging anyone who's playing and committing a lot of time into the game, but for me personally and my personality I can't find the right balance. I'm just gonna play around for 12 more days until my subscription runs out and then say my farewell. It was a nice trip down memory lane. I played wow in BC and onwards so it was nice to be able to experience vanilla even for a little bit. The community aspect is amazing and I love how people are constantly helping each other.

Hope y'all have fun. Will still keep tabs on the news from the game. Curious to see how it unfolds over time once the different phases are released.

caylen

Publisher - Riot Games
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
santa monica
The other two popular locations for "spellcleave farm" are 40k xp/hr Scarlet Monastery (Graveyard is easy mode, Cathedral is a bit harder if your mages dont counterspell reliably) and Zul Furrak 60k xp/hr (4 different pull groups all the way into & including the zombie graves area, then reset).

BRD imo is the most skill intensive of the group, but if the mages are veterans & the priest/paladin knows how to watch the mobs for who to focus heals on, it's still pretty easy.

Also, the gold/hr for all of the above is no slouch compared with typical speed questing or grind locations, especially given how player density is a real challenge.

Poppy

Oct 25, 2017
richmond, va
i keep having people asking me to join their guilds as a healer and people are nice and all, i like dungeon grouping with them, but also i feel really reluctant to join a guild for raids because i see holes in their personalities and gameplay and it might be rude but i dont want to crawl through mc or ony with 39 people who arent trying

imo the difference between a night of earnest attempts and progress and a night of meandering is a pretty enormous gulf, i like to have fun but goofing around isnt actually all that fun to me when raiding is involved unless you're guaranteed to stomp

it might make me a jerk but i think im prettymuch just gonna shrug them off until i see some real dungeon chops in the 50s

Oct 28, 2017
I'm pretty bored with classic to be honest. I was looking forward to a lot of PvP at level 60, but since there aren't any battlegrounds until phase 3 at least I don't know why I even bothered getting this far.
The phase shit is fucking stupid.

shamanick

Oct 29, 2017
I'm pretty bored with classic to be honest. I was looking forward to a lot of PvP at level 60, but since there aren't any battlegrounds until phase 3 at least I don't know why I even bothered getting this far.

The reason I like it is that the nolifers aren't insanely geared before everyone else, but I do think that it may lead to retention issues.

SlickShoes

Oct 27, 2017

There is hardly anyone at level 60 now, if they put everything out there day one then they don't retain any players, at least people have something to look forward to

Maple

Oct 27, 2017
Question for people familiar with Hunters - do I need to train each rank of Stamina, Armor, etc, for my pet? Or can I just train the latest one?

For example, if I tame a new pet, do I need to individually teach him each armor rank up to 4? Or can I just teach him rank 4 without worrying about missing benefits from earlier ranks? The game lets me train rank 4 without the earlier ranks, I just don't know if I'm missing out on the others or if the game applies all of them retroactively (1-3) once I teach my pet rank 4.

Maximo

Oct 25, 2017
Question for people familiar with Hunters - do I need to train each rank of Stamina, Armor, etc, for my pet? Or can I just train the latest one?

For example, if I tame a new pet, do I need to individually teach him each armor rank up to 4? Or can I just teach him rank 4 without worrying about missing benefits from earlier ranks? The game lets me train rank 4 without the earlier ranks, I just don't know if I'm missing out on the others or if the game applies all of them retroactively (1-3) once I teach my pet rank 4.

Just gotta train the latest one, don't forget to look up guides on where to up new Ranks of Bite/Claw,ect. Gotta Stable the pet you want then go and tame a new one with the new rank and make it use it a few times for you to have it in your PetBook.

Tension Mask

Oct 28, 2017
The biggest issue with just running through the expansions is that there are people who are playing Classic for Classic. They don't want TBC or Wrath. And if they were to give us an option to branch, you just end up splitting the Classic community 3 ways. I love TBC, but I can recognize that forcing people into it that just want vanilla WoW might not be the brightest idea.

The population is going to split eventually anyway, either between Classic and TBC(?), or Classic and other video games. Even people that love Classic, most are not gonna play it forever. If you start to introduce other expansions, you can keep people on board a lot longer.