• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

CthulhuSars

Oct 25, 2017
I'm assuming if you are time limited this game isn't really for you right?

I kinda want to try Classic WoW (only played a bit of retail) but not sure I'll be able to enjoy it.

It is a time sink but the community and playing with friends makes it worth it. You don't have to rush to max as it is not a race. Pace yourself embrace the time you get with it and if you don't like it after a month no harm done.

Deleted member 31817

Nov 7, 2017

I kinda want to try Classic WoW (only played a bit of retail) but not sure I'll be able to enjoy it.
I had plenty of fun when I first played Classic just leveling and questing. Plus since there aren't any plans for expansions right now it's not like youn need to rush to the raids before they're all obsolete.

Watercolour

Oct 27, 2017
I just... I can't do it.

Everything is way too time consuming in Classic. It takes me like an hour to complete a couple of quests and the rest of the time is traveling.

Most quests keep having me return to the same location multiple times instead of just giving me all the quests for one particular area all at once.

I like the community aspect and a bit of actual danger while questing, but the overall game design is just awful.
I'm out as well - I don't plan to renew my subscription.
I've experienced Classic/Vanilla when it debuted well over a decade ago, and the magic is not there.

Poppy

Oct 25, 2017
richmond, va
i played through a realm reborn recently, and to me this running back and forth is a lot more pleasant

i just really like hanging out in old azeroth and seeing people doing stuff, not being in any rush

Zealuu

Feb 13, 2018
Hi friends,

Anyone play Warlock? I got tired of tanking (in general, it's my go-to pick in MMORPGs). Not really wanting to play mage either, I want to try something new. Warlock maybe? Could use something with a pet. Warlock seems fun! Or Druid? I don't want to touch vanilla Hunter. lol

Something survivable, but not super slow.

Warlock was my main in the first half of OG vanilla. It's a very solo friendly questing class, and (in my opinion anyway) a fun class to use, execution-wise. You have tools that make mana management very easy in groups and leaves you with little downtime solo, and some group versatility from your pet choices. In raids you can't really play with DoTs the way you normally do because of the debuff limit, but that's something to worry about for later. Fear is very (v e r y) good and will often let you solo fearable elite mobs with little trouble. Also works on players!

Deleted member 31817

Nov 7, 2017
Warlock was my main in the first half of OG vanilla. It's a very solo friendly questing class, and (in my opinion anyway) a fun class to use, execution-wise. You have tools that make mana management very easy in groups and leaves you with little downtime solo, and some group versatility from your pet choices. In raids you can't really play with DoTs the way you normally do because of the debuff limit, but that's something to worry about for later. Fear is very (v e r y) good and will often let you solo fearable elite mobs with little trouble. Also works on players!
Also great lore and free mounts

Zealuu

Feb 13, 2018
Non-stacking, inventory-space-hugging soul shards admittedly do suck. Use your free mount savings to buy bags if you're not a tailor, I guess.

Deleted member 10234

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Warlock is so cool, especially in vanilla/classic. The original Felsteed is still my favourite mount design.

One thing I wish they did is having soul shards show whose soul it is. It would be fun to keep soul shard mementos around!

TouchOfGray

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Fuck me got dced while I was in the shower. 10500 person queue. It's 4pm and my WoW playing is already over I guess.

Mr_Antimatter

Oct 28, 2017
I loved vanilla back in the day but it was a very, VERY guild oriented game in terms of progression. Every tier outside of 0.5 required a raid and thus a guild to really run effectively.

Toss in the pure RNG nature of raids (no gear tokens) and it could take months to properly gear when you were playing certain classes.

Had some great memories due to the elation of finally joining a raid guild and going from scrub gear to tier 1. I wonder how many member of arf are even still around these days.

GuitarGuruu

Oct 26, 2017
Still having a blast it's hard to pull myself away, hit 30 on my mage and am just now having the mana required to aoe pull and it's a lot of fun.

FLCL

Oct 27, 2017
Classic WoW is just as good as I rememeber Vanilla to be. Very addictive gameplay loop. Everything just feels great and I just wanna keep playing. I actually love that it's a bit slower both in terms of combat but also everything else. It's cool to see my FFXIV friends enjoying Classic as well and even saying they find it better than retail WoW (though they did point out retail having tons of QOL stuff they felt Classic was lacking).

Ceadeus

Banned
Jan 11, 2018
Hey everyone, i might have something to say about what i've played so far on classic.

I love that pretty much every person I've encountered has been nice and friendly. Ready to group up for questing. Talkative. The chat respond to questions and it is easy to make friends.

It's a multiplayer experience, but like none we had for years. Today, people are arguing and being really sensitive about any taboo subject there can be. This game just reminds us not only nostalgia, but back then people were more open minded. And somehow we lost it.

Seriously what happened? We went from couch co op gaming to aggressive online lonely gamers. It has to be the competition right? Being better than the one beside us?

Deltadan

Oct 25, 2017
Are you guys enjoying it? Or is it a failed experiment
I've been enjoying it way more than I thought I would, I've already branched out into leveling multiple characters.

Seriously what happened? We went from couch co op gaming to aggressive online lonely gamers. It has to be the competition right? Being better than the one beside us?

What happened was that everyone kept running into assholes and kept having extremely negative interactions with people. Which, in turn, made people not want to communicate or talk with anyone else.

Too many toxic players are what ruined the community aspect of MMOs.

Number45

Oct 25, 2017
Drop rates in WC seem insanely low... and let's not forget camping out for the bottle of 99-year old port! Fun times. ^_^

Classic WoW is just as good as I rememeber Vanilla to be. Very addictive gameplay loop. Everything just feels great and I just wanna keep playing. I actually love that it's a bit slower both in terms of combat but also everything else. It's cool to see my FFXIV friends enjoying Classic as well and even saying they find it better than retail WoW (though they did point out retail having tons of QOL stuff they felt Classic was lacking).
I actually like that you can just focus on all of the quests in a zone without worrying too much about over-levelling everything - I've been running all of the quests in Silverpine and heading to Kalimdor when I'm roughly level appropriate for RFC and WC to grab the quests and run the instance a couple of times before heading back to continue with questing.

As someone pointed out it's nice knowing that there's not really a need to race all the way to 60.

TheGamingNewsGuy

One Winged Slayer
Nov 5, 2017
Finished the Stockades - honestly kinda dissapointing. Waaayy too compact and just a lot of mob fighting with little else and the enviorment was bland - like i get it was a prison cell but you could have made it somewhat visually intresting compared to Deadmines.

Maximo

Oct 25, 2017
Finished the Stockades - honestly kinda dissapointing. Waaayy too compact and just a lot of mob fighting with little else and the enviorment was bland - like i get it was a prison cell but you could have made it somewhat visually intresting compared to Deadmines.

Stockades is regarded as one of the worst Dungeons, as you said its just rooms while being boring AF.

Maximo

Oct 25, 2017
Least Stockades is short, WC is more interesting but dear god its long and even longer if you wipe at any time.

TheGamingNewsGuy

One Winged Slayer
Nov 5, 2017
I assume the next one on the dungeon list post Stockades is Gnormegen for Alliance, wonder what level i should be for it

m_shortpants

Oct 25, 2017
Are you guys enjoying it? Or is it a failed experiment

It has its claws in me again, it legitimately feels like I'm back in 2004/2005 seeing everything again.

People are mostly cool, they help out. Was doing a pretty long quest (Guns of Northshore) and saw a train of three guys running buy. Asked them for an invite and they did. They totally didn't need my help but took me anyway. Had a great time with them.

Same thing happened running RFC. Had a great group, talked the entire time, cracked jokes, and added them to play with later. Reminds me so much of the old times.

Oct 25, 2017
For the first time in about 10 years I subbed to WoW yesterday. Never thought I'd ever play this game again.
I guess Blizzard was wrong, thinking that nobody wants Classic :D

Rolled a Tauren Druid, I'm almost through level 11 and having a lot of fun.
I catched up to my buddies which started last week, tomorrow I can play with them :).

Which jobs would you go for? I'm thinking about learning Hearbalist and Alchemist.

Stuggernaut

Oct 28, 2017
Seattle, WA, USA
Have not touched a dungeon yet, am just casually running around doing everything I can possibly do in a zone before moving on. I am sitting at level 15 and still working on Westfall (Just up to Traitor quest line end I think). I think it's on to Redridge after that since I have already been there for the Defias quest chain.

I am in ZERO hurry, always plenty of people my level around, and I am just having fun.

A bunch of people in my guild are more concerned with maxing ASAP... I just want to take it all in.

Thanks Blizz ;)

Oct 28, 2017
True, still got Darkwood to complete (one of the Quests - the Wolf Kolboids one is glitched to i can't accept it which sucks) and then, maybe move to the Wetlands? Where would be the next place once i get to 28ish which is where i think i will be at when Darkwood is done

Wetlands would be okay. Could blow through the later half of Ashenvale quick. Stocks or BFD with quests.

Thornquist

Jan 22, 2018
Norway
I just... I can't do it.

Everything is way too time consuming in Classic. It takes me like an hour to complete a couple of quests and the rest of the time is traveling.

Most quests keep having me return to the same location multiple times instead of just giving me all the quests for one particular area all at once.

I like the community aspect and a bit of actual danger while questing, but the overall game design is just awful.
I really couldn't see anyone who is a fan of the modern direction to love Vanilla again. The games are so fundamentally different.
To me Vanilla was more about game design that incentivized socialization and making a believable world.
I cant stand modern design that is all about fluidity and pacing. That makes the whole world feel fake and plastic, and I consider it bad game design in turn.

In all things that matters Classic is a better MMO, and a RPG.

Gyroscope

Oct 25, 2017
I'm so mixed. I gave Blizzard the cash for this month but have cancelled the subscription. Played since the beta until the tail end of WotLK. Revisiting this world again has been great in the everybody is in a fresh new world MMO feel but... after playing this passed week... getting to 24, plus a few alts, I'm done?

Like I know exactly what's going to happen. Exactly. This isn't an alternative timeline yet where it splinters to fix the issues that will eventually plague the game. There's also no real sense of discovery to be had, which is the biggest draw for me for the genre. But my biggest gripe is (going to be)... the eventual addition of BGs. World PvP is already quite shallow. And I always felt BGs drained that pool instead of incentivizing it.

Last edited:
Oct 25, 2017
Love me some long ass dungeons, especially BRD. They're not great for loot and they drag and make you want to pull your hair out sometimes (wiping and seeing the trash respawn is so defeating) but I made so many more friends and memories in them than I did in the perfectly paced 30 minute snooze fests that the modern game pushes.

Finaj

Oct 25, 2017
I really couldn't see anyone who is a fan of the modern direction to love Vanilla again. The games are so fundamentally different.
To me Vanilla was more about game design that incentivized socialization and making a believable world.
I cant stand modern design that is all about fluidity and pacing. That makes the whole world feel fake and plastic, and I consider it bad game design in turn.

In all things that matters Classic is a better MMO, and a RPG.

Somewhere among the stars is an MMO that has modern game design, quality of life features, quest diversity, multiple paths of endgame progression, compelling boss encounters, varied and balanced class specs, as well as a world the encourages communication with others in a living world.

Retail and Classic have aspects of what I want in an MMO, but they're two incomplete halves. While I enjoy retail more, I do want some of Classic's game design philosophy added in.

And I honestly think that Classic feels plastic. No NPCs act like characters. They're given no storylines or character development; they just stand in one place. The "towns" are 2-3 buildings tops, I'm given context to quests but it doesn't feel like a story; they're just tasks, and the world doesn't react to anything I do. Bethesda RPGs have more life to their worlds.

Adventureracing

The Fallen
Nov 7, 2017

It depends. For me a game like WoW is more friendly when you don't have a lot of time because it's really all about the leveling experience and just taking it all in. You don't have to rush to 60 to have fun.

Having said that it depends how you approach gaming. I tend to just pick a game I really like and just sink my teeth into it. I doubt I'll play a game besides wow classic for the next 12 months. If anything having less time has only pushed me further down that pathway.

Sophie

Oct 28, 2017
Thanks for replying!

I actually rolled a Priest, and I'm having a lot of fun with it so far. Not having to eat after every single encounter, can heal in combat. Leveling is so much faster this way.

b-dubs

That's some catch, that catch-22
General Manager
Oct 25, 2017
Pretty sure patch 1.12, which is what this version of classic is based on, got rid of the debuff limit.

I will say, for all you rogues out there, please don't use expose armor in instances where a warrior is tanking. It doesn't stack with sunder and makes life harder.

RedSparrows

Prophet of Regret
Feb 22, 2019
Thanks for replying!

I actually rolled a Priest, and I'm having a lot of fun with it so far. Not having to eat after every single encounter, can heal in combat. Leveling is so much faster this way.

but but but you have to drink all the time etc etc

I jest: if you were to read some people about Classic no class except Mage or Hunter is worth levelling, and even then they're 'shitty' because X, Y or Z. The two classes I have levelled the most in all my time in WoW are Warrior and Priest. To read some 'experienced' opinion I was wasting my time and it was miserable, etc etc.

Sorry, bit jaded by yet more gaming nonsense.