• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Magnus

Oct 25, 2017
"
With a hotfix to WoW Classic a few moments ago, we've changed how the realm population labels work in order to display realm populations in a more meaningful way.

How it worked before this hotfix
As we explained here, the system previously calculated the population labels by comparing all realms to the most-populated realm. This could result in a very crowded realm (with a lengthy queue) showing up as "Medium", since it was being compared to the realm that had the highest population and a potentially massive queue.

How population labels work now
This system now measures each realm against a realm's absolute capacity. Medium indicates a healthy total population on a realm – well in excess of what we considered Full in a 2006 – with room for more players to log-in. You'll now see a High label if the realm is close to having a queue, and a Full label if the realm currently has a queue.

We will continue to monitor this system closely and take further steps if necessary.

Thank you very much! "

The pre-hotfix definition doesn't make sense at all.

Lyng

Editor at Popaco.dk
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
Maybe I'm just unlucky then, my nephew is having a much different experience in his RP server. But I have seen many people saying the same thing as myself on my social media and even some folk in here and other forums. Well anyway going to bring some guildies into a guild here and make our own home.

Infact I took a screenshot of two people spitting on me in the gnome and dwarf starting area when I was just starting out, nice way to start eh.

Funny enough the only downright unfriendly / hostile person I have met so far was a dwarf passing through the undead area. It could be fun if it was possible to find out the average amount of toxic people per race.

Bear_Raccoon

Apr 11, 2019
Funny enough the only downright unfriendly / hostile person I have met so far was a dwarf passing through the undead area. It could be fun if it was possible to find out the average amount of toxic people per race.

I'm on Pyrewood too, undead horde and the only time in the chat was when someone started using homophobic slurs and the player was slapped down and told he was being unacceptable so quickly - it was quite endearing to see.

PeskyToaster

Oct 27, 2017
There's a guild on Herod (and probably other places) called <Never Go Full Retail>. Got a laugh out of me. I was in queue from when I got off work until about 10 minutes before I usually go to bed so I stayed up an extra hour to get some time in. Definitely going to get my queueing from work system down today so I can play as soon as I'm out of work.

I got a nice 2H mace from a quest so now I have to go to train maces. I also have to track down a shield so I can tank dungeons.

Anoregon

Oct 25, 2017
its bonkers how salty people are over classic @ mmo-champ

they hate it, the forum is attacking it at every chance

long live classic! Just got mods last night, we baaaaaack

MMOchamp forums are a fucking cesspool. I wouldn't take them as an indicator of peoples overall feelings on anything.
The standard WoW reddit seems very happy with classic, for example, while the classic reddit is still pretty fond of "lol bfa sux" circlejerks.

Dinjooh

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
You rolled a class with a heal, not like you needed it lol

That's not true.. At all... Tons of places where it was useful to have it, and especially if you consider yourself 'semi hardcore' as I very much did.

MMOchamp forums are a fucking cesspool. I wouldn't take them as an indicator of peoples overall feelings on anything.
The standard WoW reddit seems very happy with classic, for example, while the classic reddit is still pretty fond of "lol bfa sux" circlejerks.

I tried to read those forums, because well... They're really active - but the discussion there is nothing but trash. People sniping eachother, saying the most stupid shit and arguing over the tiniest of things to death. Discord/ERA/Reddit only from here on.

Kor of Memory

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
I'm been having a good time in general chats with the exception of some guild recruitment span. Some guild named Oblivion on Ashkandi just spammed General, Trade, and Yell trying to recruit literally anybody. They invited me to join (without prompt) about 3 times in my 15 minutes in Org last night. I ended up ignoring the guy.

Honestly I'm loving all the old jokes. In General chat for Durotar people have been making Chuck Norris jokes, talking about George W Bush conspiracies with 9/11, and (my personal favorite) was laughing about Ashlee Simpson's fuck up on SNL.

Richietto

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
North Carolina
When people say they "miss barrens chat" do they mean they miss the homophobic/hateful language and shit? There is fun to be had on there but no one calls out people calling others fag and stuff. Like Christ! Happening way to often.

Kor of Memory

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
When people say they "miss barrens chat" do they mean they miss the homophobic/hateful language and shit? There is fun to be had on there but no one calls out people calling others fag and stuff. Like Christ! Happening way to often.

I saw some homophobic slurs the very first day for the very first couple of hours. But I don't think I've seen anything at all the past 2 days.

TheGamingNewsGuy

One Winged Slayer
Nov 5, 2017
Completed Deadmines for the first time, not bad XD. Managed to get through with relative ease thanks to a great team. Managed to get the Cookie's Tenderizer as my main weapon and earned a lot of Wool. Probalby going to do DM again to reach Level 20 before i do the Blackrock Orcs. :D

Kor of Memory

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Man, I keep forgetting how rare money is in the early game.

Every two levels I'm buying my spells only to realize I'm broke afterwards. I just realized I didn't know all my weapons so I went to buy those skills only to find out their 10 silver each, and I'm only level 10 with a wallet of 27s.

Need to find a way to turn a profit faster.

I've got like 5 stacks of Copper Bars I should probably sell since I'm not doing Smithing or Engineering.

ejoshua

Oct 27, 2017
Installing now. This is my entire college career + early adulthood right here. I am ... shook with nostalgic excitement. I know it can't replicate or compare, but maybe if I can just get it close.

Going to roll my human Priest, Seneschal.

Samaritan

Oct 25, 2017
Tacoma, Washington
Man, I keep forgetting how rare money is in the early game.

Every two levels I'm buying my spells only to realize I'm broke afterwards. I just realized I didn't know all my weapons so I went to buy those skills only to find out their 10 silver each, and I'm only level 10 with a wallet of 27s.

Need to find a way to turn a profit faster.

I've got like 5 stacks of Copper Bars I should probably sell since I'm not doing Smithing or Engineering.
Picking up skinning just to sell what you collect is a great way to earn some extra silver.

JetBlackPanda

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Echo Base
Hotfix aye? can someone let me know what the population tag on Rattlegore is now? I am at work and super curious.

Apple

Oct 27, 2017
Back in vanilla WoW I played a rouge, so I never really had to deal with main spec / off spec loot drama.

This go around I'm playing a warrior, and while I plan leveling as dps, I also figure I'll be nice and tank 5-mans as needed. How does loot work in these situations? Since my 'main spec' that I'm leveling with uses 2-handed weapons, I'm going to really want to roll on these - but I don't want to piss anyone off because 'I'm the tank' and should only be rolling on 1-handers and shields.

My wife is kind of in a similar situation. She's leveling as a paladin and plans on healing the same 5-man I'll be tanking. But she's not leveling as holy, just like I'm not leveling as protection. So while she'll want gear that can help her heal - she's going to also want gear that can help her level.

We don't want to be greedy, but we're also only really tanking/healing to help out others. I suppose as a tank/healer combo we can just assemble our our group, and make sure it's full of classes that won't compete with us for drops... so like, 3 rogues for dps I guess?

Deleted member 2507

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Back in vanilla WoW I played a rouge, so I never really had to deal with main spec / off spec loot drama.

This go around I'm playing a warrior, and while I plan leveling as dps, I also figure I'll be nice and tank 5-mans as needed. How does loot work in these situations? Since my 'main spec' that I'm leveling with uses 2-handed weapons, I'm going to really want to roll on these - but I don't want to piss anyone off because 'I'm the tank' and should only be rolling on 1-handers and shields.

My wife is kind of in a similar situation. She's leveling as a paladin and plans on healing the same 5-man I'll be tanking. But she's not leveling as holy, just like I'm not leveling as protection. So while she'll want gear that can help her heal - she's going to also want gear that can help her level.

We don't want to be greedy, but we're also only really tanking/healing to help out others. I suppose as a tank/healer combo we can just assemble our our group, and make sure it's full of classes that won't compete with us for drops... so like, 3 rogues for dps I guess?
I'd say looting for "off-spec" is fair for classes where that truly is valid, like for tanks and healers. I'd be more careful about that with others, like if a Shaman plays enchantment but wants gear for elemental spec? That'd be a bit dubious.

If you are your group's healer and tank, i think you can pretty much call the shots. You join, tell you need leveling gear, and will be rolling accordingly and ask if others are fine with that.
Random Number God is fair after all.

IMO. I've been so long away from WoW i've no idea what's the correct way here truly.

RedSparrows

Prophet of Regret
Feb 22, 2019
Run DM.
Lock got all 3 caster drops.
Still added as a friend as cool dude.
I love this game so much.

JetBlackPanda

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Echo Base
Run DM.
Lock got all 3 caster drops.
Still added as a friend as cool dude.
I love this game so much.

Yeah the players have been awesome. Some random guild invited me in Darnasus and I decided why not, turns out they are all really cool. One guy posted about a shield he wanted to sell, he agreed to 5 silver and then a bunch of people started offering 70-80s and he still hooked me up. I told him not to but he said NO way classic is Chill, this is what its about.

LOVE IT.

Bane

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017

My guild was talking about how it seems we're seeing a decent bit of shit-talking about retail on classic, meanwhile retail just doesn't seem to care much about classic.

Mudcrab

Avenger
Oct 26, 2017
That's THE thing for me in Classic, the people and making new friends. Yesterday I randomly grouped with some folks just to kill ole murk eye in Westfall and we ended up going up and down the coast doing other quests.

Ferrasvansen

Oct 25, 2017
Azeroth(Scotland)
My guild was talking about how it seems we're seeing a decent bit of shit-talking about retail on classic, meanwhile retail just doesn't seem to care much about classic.
Yeah, actually today i saw a silly individual ranting about bfa get slapped down in classic, was a better day, less stupidity in chat and game and got my guild up and running. Nice to have my guild in both, only bad thing today was 150 mins to complete a quest, was soul destroying.

MadMike

Oct 27, 2017
Man, Arugal is a massive idiot check. All 4 of my group mates just died to shadow bolts after I explained that you need to LOS the boss after I get stunned or MC'd.

Allietraa

Prophet of Truth
Mar 13, 2019
GKNvH4Z.png

Artdayne

Banned
Nov 7, 2017

You must have missed the months upon months of BFA players coming into any threads about Classic telling us "nostalgia is a hell of a drug".

Apple

Oct 27, 2017
Watching this man about to hit world first 60.

117k viewers and climbing.

Yup, pretty interesting how he's doing it.

For those that can't watch he has a bunch of other people whose characters are on the other layers on his server. He's a mage AoE clearing Hearthglen in the Western Plaguelands. Every time he's cleared the spot, he'll start joining the other people's groups so that he's taken to their layer, until he finds one where all the mobs have respawned, where he'll then clear it, rinse, and repeat.

Link edit: https://www.twitch.tv/jokerdtv

KnightOwl

Oct 25, 2017
Yup, pretty interesting how he's doing it.

For those that can't watch he has a bunch of other people who's characters on on other layers on his server. He's a mage AoE clearing Hearthglen in the Western Plaguelands. Every time he's cleared the spot, he'll start joining the other people's groups so that he's taken to their layer, until he finds one where all the mobs have respawned, where he'll then clear it, rinse, and repeat.

Link edit: https://www.twitch.tv/jokerdtv

ugh layer exploitation, it was inevitable. His private server world first times are insane too

Deleted member 2507

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Feels good to be playing classic.
I almost couldn't find the first Shaman totem place lol.
But i've got so strong altitis... i gotta try a warrior and a druid and a warlock before i continue, i think.

Deleted member 8166

Account closed at user request
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
after playing a few hours...this is so much fun. slow progression, reading quest texts and no google maps navigation to your quest goal.

people helping each other and the german server I am on is surprisingly nice.

2CL4Mars

Nov 9, 2018
Does anybody know a neutral level at which you should enter a specific dungeon at.

Or you know something like, Ragefire chasm 12-16 etc will do as well.

PeskyToaster

Oct 27, 2017
This whole layering thing kind of bums me out. I think it's amazing to see tons of people doing quests and interacting. Layering may help make playing the game more palatable but it's at the cost of the things we actually want. The whole idea around WoW Classic is that we'll put up with the bullshit about contested mob spawns, resources, lines, and queues if it fosters a stronger world and community. Too much of that strips the shared world away. Like in BfA I get my own mobs, my own herbs, my own ore veins, my own World of Warcraft. That may be nice and convenient but that's not what brought people into the game in the first place. A realm is really the best division for the game because it's obvious and persistent. Herod or Stalagg is our version of Azeroth, shared by thousands. Everything else is just so hidden that when it breaks, it shatters the whole illusion. Like I won't be able to log in tomorrow and hop in general chat with the same names and faces if I'm on a different layer or organically follow a group of players as we make our way through the zones. I may not even be able to randomly walk past my friend in the world just because we aren't in a party. Sorry for the rant but I think they gotta stop this layering and sharding thing. I don't think it helps as much as it hurts.