• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Dinjooh

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
If you have the addon Details installed disable "item level tracker" in the options tab of said addon

Yup, it's this bad boy you need to turn off:

vQ2YHps.png

Adventureracing

The Fallen
Nov 7, 2017
I find that most players I ask to quest together never respond. When I invite most people they join but never talk in chat. They just join for the quest and then leave without saying a word.
Had some fun talks aswell, but it's mostly been the latter experience.

I've found this to be the norm as well but I've already made a few friends who I've quested with multiple times.

Mantrox

Oct 27, 2017
I find that most players I ask to quest together never respond. When I invite most people they join but never talk in chat. They just join for the quest and then leave without saying a word.
The retail habits are hard to shake.
It will take some time, for people to start engaging a bit more freely.

Dinjooh

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017

I always try to chat a bit with people, and usually they're always talkative as well. Met a nice Swedish bloke last night and we bonded while making fun of Norwegians. Good times.

Foxnull

Alt-Account
Banned
May 30, 2019
I'm going to reroll on another server. Currently playing on Everlook (biggest german PvE server), but the community is... not what I expected of Classic. Barrens chat full of anal 'jokes', people stealing tags or quest items all the time, and a general toxic attitude. Hoping for a better experience on smaller servers.

dodo

Oct 27, 2017
honestly one of the biggest things for me in this version of the game is how much more satisfying it is to see your numbers grow from basically nothing. i just got a better staff and the jump from dealing 25 damage to 48 damage per melee hit feels significant, like an RPG should

I'm going to reroll on another server. Currently playing on Everlook (biggest german PvE server), but the community is... not what I expected of Classic. Barrens chat full of anal 'jokes', people stealing tags or quest items all the time, and a general toxic attitude. Hoping for a better experience on smaller servers.

this sounds like the classic barrens experience to me honestly

Robin64

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
England
Ugh. Got home about 6pm last night, met a queue of many thousands and several hours. As it was close to letting me in, I dozed off, and then woke up to see "Disconnected from server" and would have to queue for several hours again. So it would be about midnight before I could play. Fuck that!

Today I installed TeamViewer on my home PC so I can start to log in an hour before I leave work.

Ferrasvansen

Oct 25, 2017
Azeroth(Scotland)

Was exactly the same last night on Pyrewood Village pve realm.... nobody talks except to argue and yep anal talk, toxic stuff, arguing. Tried to group up with people, even saying gz and thanks etc, no response. Seen one decent conversation about Scottish food, tried to join in and that is it. Just as well I'm playing with my friends sometimes or I'd be out. Not exactly loving retail just now either in all honesty, needs and overhaul but this well is not any better. I have just installed Final Fantasy XIV, after so much WoW, think I need something else now and then.

Last edited:

m_shortpants

Oct 25, 2017
Would be interesting if they made another "timeline", remaking x-pacs and going in a totally different direction without flying mounts and some of the lore decisions. Maybe go down a different avenue in terms of bosses and raids.

Probably never gonna happen, but a man can dream.

Lyng

Editor at Popaco.dk
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
Was exactly the same last night on Pyrewood Village pve realm.... nobody talks except to argue and yep anal talk, toxic stuff, arguing. Tried to group up with people, even saying gz and thanks etc, no response. Seen one decent conversation about Scottish food, tried to join in and that is it. Just as well I'm playing with my friends sometimes or I'd be out. Not exactly loving retail just now either in all honesty, needs and overhaul but this well is not any better. I have just installed Final Fantasy XIV, after so much WoW, think I need something else now and then.
Weird I am on that server at the undead areas have been full of great chat and friendly people?

Ferrasvansen

Oct 25, 2017
Azeroth(Scotland)
Weird I am on that server at the undead areas have been full of great chat and friendly people?
Maybe I'm just unlucky then, my nephew is having a much different experience in his RP server. But I have seen many people saying the same thing as myself on my social media and even some folk in here and other forums. Well anyway going to bring some guildies into a guild here and make our own home.

Infact I took a screenshot of two people spitting on me in the gnome and dwarf starting area when I was just starting out, nice way to start eh.

Meia

Oct 26, 2017
You rolled a class with a heal, not like you needed it lol

Nah. Healers needed it as it was a good way to "cheat" heal in instances without invoking the 5 second rule, giving you more time to regen your mana. I distinctly remember using it on myself instead of healing myself, for example. :)

Priests in particular. Stack spirit, get used to using bandages and having like 3-4 ranks of heal/greater heal on your bars to squeeze out every drop of mana. God I miss early WoW healing(until wrath dropped downranking killing it forever). :p

Something I've been thinking about since my old guild(who I hadn't played with in like +6 years) are playing on a pvp server(no way I'm healing on one, going hunter), is how on earth do people on pvp servers do the old Hunter MC quest? You know, the one where the demons would despawn if another player so much as look at them the wrong way?

B-Dubs

That's some catch, that catch-22
On Break
Oct 25, 2017
Nah. Healers needed it as it was a good way to "cheat" heal in instances without invoking the 5 second rule, giving you more time to regen your mana. I distinctly remember using it on myself instead of healing myself, for example. :)

Priests in particular. Stack spirit, get used to using bandages and having like 3-4 ranks of heal/greater heal on your bars to squeeze out every drop of mana. God I miss early WoW healing(until wrath dropped downranking killing it forever). :p

Something I've been thinking about since my old guild(who I hadn't played with in like +6 years) are playing on a pvp server(no way I'm healing on one, going hunter), is how on earth do people on pvp servers do the old Hunter MC quest? You know, the one where the demons would despawn if another player so much as look at them the wrong way?
Well, I was always the tank so as long as the heals were coming and stuff died I didn't question it too much lol

For the hunters, I presume they brought guildies and friends along for muscle. Or all the hunters just had a detente thing going in that area, where they all just agreed not to fuck with each other.

Oct 28, 2017
I did group up for some quests so far. But theses quests really are quick affairs so everyone leaves immediately when they get what they wanted. I think a lot of people fear the "commitment", at least that's what I do.

When I'm playing in the evening, I'm usually tired from work and want to go at my own pace and not commit to some "schedule". Even if you just group up for some questing there is always this sense of rushing through everything as fast and efficiently as possible and I don't like that (I'm on the Hydraxian EU RP server for that matter...).

I did my best to chat at least a little like quest objective, Hello, farewell, thanks, etc. Most of the time people leave so fast that you cannot even type thx or something, though...

Ferrasvansen

Oct 25, 2017
Azeroth(Scotland)
I did group up for some quests so far. But theses quests really are quick affairs so everyone leaves immediately when they get what they wanted. I think a lot of people fear the "commitment", at least that's what I do.

When I'm playing in the evening, I'm usually tired from work and want to go at my own pace and not commit to some "schedule". Even if you just group up for some questing there is always this sense of rushing through everything as fast and efficiently as possible and I don't like that (I'm on the Hydraxian EU RP server for that matter...).

I did my best to chat at least a little like quest objective, Hello, farewell, thanks, etc. Most of the time people leave so fast that you cannot even type thx or something, though...
Yep lost count of how many times I went to type thanks and bye and ended up wasting my time.

Serious Sam

Banned
Oct 27, 2017

That's why I like BfA and 15 years worth of QOL improvements Blizz made to the game. It gives you a lot of options to progress as a solo player if you don't want to do social interactions on a particular day.

I wonder if returning Classic players will jump to try out BfA once they remember all of Classic's shortcomings and get annoyed by them, again.

I respect Classic and hopefully I will manage to get at least one character to 60. But I'm not sure I will want to repeat going through end-game, I already know all the crappy aspects of it from playing WoW since beta.

Deleted member 2172

Account closed at user request
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Would be interesting if they made another "timeline", remaking x-pacs and going in a totally different direction without flying mounts and some of the lore decisions. Maybe go down a different avenue in terms of bosses and raids.

Probably never gonna happen, but a man can dream.
That really would be great. Blizz need to find that perfect balance between expansion progression without everything that comes before the latest release becoming essentially pointless.

imo, they should not release TBC for Classic, atleast not without major revisions to the fundamentals of the expansion. But even then I would much prefer a brand new expansion that is located in Azeroth and much, much more focused in scope.

vitamind

Nov 1, 2018
The retail habits are hard to shake.
It will take some time, for people to start engaging a bit more freely.

Bullshit. Same thing happened in vanilla as well. The community experience was not so vastly different than it is on retail. Some things were different out of necessity but I swear some of you forgot Barrens chat, dancing/teabagging/spitting on corpses, or other extremely toxic parts of the community.

Serious Sam

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Bullshit. Same thing happened in vanilla as well. The community experience was not so vastly different than it is on retail. Some things were different out of necessity but I swear some of you forgot Barrens chat, dancing/teabagging/spitting on corpses, or other extremely toxic parts of the community.
Yup. You respected and talked with your guildies but playing with randoms was always looked down upon. If you PUG a dungeon you just want others to do acceptable job and hopefully not spam party chat with dumb childish/homophobic/sexist/racist shit. The last thing you wanted was to try and bond with people in PUG.

Cokesouls

One Winged Slayer
Oct 28, 2017
He was talking about how people don't talk much with each other. Group up for quests without saying hi, leave without thanking etc. Not about the general chat, that stuff hasn't changed.

MirVie

Nov 17, 2017

I agree. On one hand you had people casting buffs on each other and teaming up for group content. On the other hand the chat channels were a constant stream of Gamergate like homophobia, transphobia, racism and sexism. The community was and is to this day toxic in that regard, that has not changed.

Mantrox

Oct 27, 2017
I wasn't addressing toxicity.
And I used to talk way more in groups back in the day.
When I started to play classic again I noticed I wasn't engaging as much in chat, because that's what I got accustomed to in retail.
It's just what it is.

I already had much more interaction with randoms in classic in a few days than in months of retail.

Serious Sam

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I wasn't addressing toxicity.
And I used to talk way more in groups back in the day.
When I started to play classic again I noticed I wasn't engaging as much in chat, because that's what I got accustomed to in retail.
It's just what it is.
Did you do any 2 hour long dungeon runs yet? There might be more talking in those. I mean, how much do you expect people to talk in a group when they just group up to complete a 5 minute quest with elite kill while leveling?

Mantrox

Oct 27, 2017
Did you do any 2 hour long dungeon runs yet? There might be more talking in those. I mean, how much do you expect people to talk in a group when they just group up to complete a 5 minute quest with elite kill while leveling?
I already did dungeons and quest parties.
In both, there was more back and forth than I remember ever having in the last few months in retail.

spootime

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
I'll also chime in and say that just in the first 12 levels I've added 3-4 people to friends list just through questing together and shooting the shit.

Zealuu

Feb 13, 2018
What addon do I need for to see enemies casting? Or is that an option ingame?

If you don't want to mess with a lot of the Blizzard UI there are separate castbar addons, but unitframe addons usually include configurable enemy castbars as well.

Would you say Darkshore is next after Lakeshire?

If you haven't hit 20 yet then sure, but Loch Modan is the same level range and easier to get to. Also more compact.

Severance

Oct 27, 2017
It's been great getting back into Vanilla. I'm surprised by how much I remember from questing, it's been 15 years! The only system that would have been nice to add to is... achievements. Not the current system in retail, but a new set of achievements for vanilla. No mount rewards or anything like that.

pink

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
its bonkers how salty people are over classic @ mmo-champ

they hate it, the forum is attacking it at every chance

long live classic! Just got mods last night, we baaaaaack

MrH

Banned
Nov 3, 2017
Having to wake up early to get myself in the queue while it's big instead of massive is really frustrating, it feels like I'm being really hardcore and racing when that's not what I wanted at all.

pink

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Having to wake up early to get myself in the queue while it's big instead of massive is really frustrating, it feels like I'm being really hardcore and racing when that's not what I wanted at all.

chrome remote desktop login from your phone - easy solution that takes less than a minute to set up

Serious Sam

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
its bonkers how salty people are over classic @ mmo-champ

they hate it, the forum is attacking it at every chance

long live classic! Just got mods last night, we baaaaaack
Yes it's dumb and immature. But I also hate when Classic players do the same to BfA. I wish people realized both games can co-exist and stop this pathetic infighting.

Boylamite

Feb 12, 2019
I've played wow on and off since beta, I had a vanilla/burning crusade/lich king collector's edition account, but it got hacked in 2009, long after I had been playing so I just let it go.
Started playing casually again and started a new account.
So now that I'm playing classic I thought what the hell, let's see if I can get my old account back. It was a long shot but, they managed to find it and add it to my battle net account. Now I am rocking a mini diablo again!
Now my classic experience is truly complete:p

Oct 28, 2017
The bad behavior in the general chat comes down to a few assholes, as always. Most people don't even chat in the general, I think.

But that's par for the course in every online game I've ever played.