• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Hycran

The Fallen
Oct 30, 2017
I hope they come out with a statement against the "mafia" type behaviour as well.

Oct 25, 2017
Is there a way to view characters from an inactive account without having to buy a subscription? This thread got me nostalgic and I can't remember how many characters I had or what levels they are lol

Edit - Holy crap, 1 month costs 18.99 now?

Rats

Oct 25, 2017
Is there a way to view characters from an inactive account without having to buy a subscription? This thread got me nostalgic and I can't remember how many characters I had or what levels they are lol

Edit - Holy crap, 1 month costs 18.99 now?
You can download and run the client without a sub, it's technically free-to-play until level 20. You can see all of your characters, you just can't enter the world with them if they're over 20.

Oct 25, 2017
Nope, Classic requires a sub.

Ah ok

So I logged in to see my characters and their names look all messed up and my main doesn't seem to be there, I wonder if my account was hacked years ago at some point and stuff was changed *shrug*

I know at one point someone activated my account, added a sub and played my characters but I got it back before anything was changed, I don't recall anything happening since then, and Blizzard really upgraded their security features since then

They didn't delete servers and characters at any point, did they?

Rats

Oct 25, 2017
Ah ok

So I logged in to see my characters and their names look all messed up and my main doesn't seem to be there, I wonder if my account was hacked years ago at some point and stuff was changed *shrug*

I know at one point someone activated my account, added a sub and played my characters but I got it back before anything was changed, I don't recall anything happening since then, and Blizzard really upgraded their security features since then

They didn't delete servers and characters at any point, did they?

Characters don't ever get deleted as far as I know. I still have level 1 toons from 2006 on my account and I haven't had an active sub since Wrath and very briefly during MoP.

Inactive characters can get their names changed, though, to free those names up for active players. I don't know the details for how and why it happens off the top of my head. Some of my ancient characters have gibberish names and some don't.

Oct 25, 2017
Characters don't ever get deleted as far as I know. I still have level 1 toons from 2006 on my account and I haven't had an active sub since very briefly during MoP.

Inactive characters can get their names changed, though, to free those names up for active players. I don't know the details for how and why it happens off the top of my head.

So I remembered the realm I used to play on and all my main toons are still there, dunno why it initially showed I didn't have any there

I can't believe they changed the names lol, but I guess it makes sense for active players to have access to them

VeryHighlander

The Fallen
May 9, 2018
I hope they come out with a statement against the "mafia" type behaviour as well.
That kind of shit has existed in vanilla before. No no no no no. Blizzard cannot tell players who to be friends with. The "mafia" stuff is only really a problem with cross faction bullshittery which is(was in vanilla) a bannable offense

Rats

Oct 25, 2017
What's this about mafia?
Multiple guilds working together to control a resource 24/7 and dominate the economy related to it. In the context of Classic WoW, we're usually talking about the Devilsaurs in Un'Goro Crater and their leather. It was a rampant practice on private servers, but the private server mafias colluded cross-faction and that's definitely not something Blizzard is going to tolerate.

Cipherr

Oct 26, 2017
Yeah the major problem with the mafia stuff is cross realm is bannable. So it wont be able to be like Private Servers where both factions work together to gank people that dare to kill a devilsaur. That will get them perma'd on live.

That alone takes most of the teeth out of mafias. If they cant attack/grief their own faction then its waaaay less effective.

SDBurton

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Posting again for the new page:

Crosspost from other thread:

Decided to create a Strawpoll to see if people wanted to stay on Thalnos regardless of the possible latency issues. All the servers listed in the poll are East Coast based, as someone from the other thread brought up a good point that it's easier for people on the West Coast (like myself) to log on earlier than to have people on the EC stay up later for dungeons/raids.

Mr Paptimus

Oct 26, 2017
So I remembered the realm I used to play on and all my main toons are still there, dunno why it initially showed I didn't have any there

I can't believe they changed the names lol, but I guess it makes sense for active players to have access to them

They'll rename the character but you don't always lose the name. I just restarted my sob after being gone for years and while most of my characters were renamed they let youchange them as soon as you start them up again and usually you can get the same one back. On the dozen characters I've logged in on I was able to Get back there old name on all of them

RedSparrows

Prophet of Regret
Feb 22, 2019
I AM SO FUCKING IN
OH YES

Favourite game world ever
Favourite multiplayer world ever
Favourite MP experiences (= to Halo)
Favourite game music
Favourite in-game item ever

I've played enough Private Server Vanilla to know this game got me good.

Border

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Doesn't Classic still have some kind of Group-Finding mechanic? Like you would sign up for a list of people that wanted to do Sunken Temple, and other people looking for a group could see that list and invite you if they wanted. Was that in Vanilla or just BC?

GenericBadGuy

Oct 25, 2017
Doesn't Classic still have some kind of Group-Finding mechanic? Like you would sign up for a list of people that wanted to do Sunken Temple, and other people looking for a group could see that list and invite you if they wanted. Was that in Vanilla or just BC?

The LFG System was introduced in Wrath, if I remember right. What did exist back then were Meeting Stones, where you could go to the dungeon entrance and meet for a group, but they did not initially summon players.

zeknurn

Oct 25, 2017

Vanilla had automatic grouping through meeting stones outside the dungeons (and later through innekeepers) that early in vanilla just put 5 random people together. It was later changed to guarantee one healer and one tank but by then no one used it anymore.

Border

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The LFG System was introduced in Wrath, if I remember right. What did exist back then were Meeting Stones, where you could go to the dungeon entrance and meet for a group, but they did not initially summon players.
Vanilla had automatic grouping through meeting stones outside the dungeons (and later through innekeepers) that early in vanilla just put 5 random people together. It was later changed to guarantee one healer and one tank but by then no one used it anymore.
I definitely remember being able to looking up player listings without going to meeting stones, but the system did not make other players auto-join groups. You had to see a player on the list and invite that person manually. Sort of a "Looking for More" listing setup.

apathetic

Oct 25, 2017
I definitely remember being able to looking up player listings without going to meeting stones, but the system did not make other players auto-join groups. You had to see a player on the list and invite that person manually. Sort of a "Looking for More" listing setup.

There was a general player search function that you could use parameters to search for other people in the game but it wasn't explicitly for finding a group iirc.

Border

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
There was a general player search function that you could use parameters to search for other people in the game but it wasn't explicitly for finding a group iirc.
What I am remembering is something like the "Looking for More" window on the right:

440LFG_1161298228.jpg

There was a dropdown box that you could use to select a dungeon, and it would display a list of people also looking to run that dungeon (along with their class & level). Obviously this image is from Burning Crusade, but I remember Vanilla having some variant of this as well.

GenericBadGuy

Oct 25, 2017
What I am remembering is something like the "Looking for More" window on the right:

440LFG_1161298228.jpg

There was a dropdown box that you could use to select a dungeon, and it would display a list of people also looking to run that dungeon (along with their class & level). Obviously this image is from Burning Crusade, but I remember Vanilla having some variant of this as well.

I remember that window now that you post it, but I am 100% certain it was not in Vanilla.

GenericBadGuy

Oct 25, 2017
ya but is it still possible to even make a char on Herod? Like do they lock realms?

No, they don't lock realms because technically the game isn't even out yet and they don't want to prevent people from playing with friends even if the server is full. However they strongly discourage making a character on the full realms. Saying "hours-long queues" is pretty discouraging!

MadMike

Oct 27, 2017

440LFG_1161298228.jpg

I remember that window now that you post it, but I am 100% certain it was not in Vanilla.

The Looking for More system was added in Burning Crusade. Vanilla had a dungeon finder mechanic accessed through Meeting Stones and Innkeepers. It was poorly implemented and rarely used, so it was nearly impossible to get a group.

Anoregon

Oct 25, 2017
Vanilla had meeting stones, which were totally useless as they required you to already be at the dungeon and would frequently group 5 DPS together.

Border

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The Looking for More system was added in Burning Crusade. Vanilla had a dungeon finder mechanic accessed through Meeting Stones and Innkeepers. It was poorly implemented and rarely used, so it was nearly impossible to get a group.
So if we want to find a group in Classic, we are just going to have to spam the chat in capital cities? Or use the LFG chat channel?

It looks to me like the LFG/LFM Tool was implemented late into Vanilla. I can find posts referencing it in December 2006, prior to the launch of Burning Crusade:

Foxnull

Alt-Account
Banned
May 30, 2019
Really can't decide between Mage or Shaman for my main... help me out, please.

MadMike

Oct 27, 2017
So if we want to find a group in Classic, we are just going to have to spam the chat in capital cities? Or use the LFG chat channel?

It looks to me like the LFG/LFM Tool was implemented late into Vanilla. I can find posts referencing it in December 2006, prior to the launch of Burning Crusade:

IIRC, it was added in the 2.0 "bridge" patch. So it's a Burning Crusade feature that was released just before launch. It came after Vanilla's final patch (1.12), which Classic is based on.

As far as finding groups, yeah. You're going to have to spam. There will probably also be third-party sites/tools available.

Foxnull

Alt-Account
Banned
May 30, 2019
Do you want to heal or do you want to DPS? Do you want to spend your time managing totems, or summoning food/water?

Well, on the one hand I really like healing, but on the other hand I thought a damage class like mage would be better in Classic, since farming is so important for the mounts.

Oct 28, 2017
Damn, I almost want to try this.

I never really played WoW (especially when it first came out) and recently listening to some old GFW podcasts that often included WoW talk makes me want to see if I missed out on anything back then.

MadMike

Oct 27, 2017
Well, on the one hand I really like healing, but on the other hand I thought a damage class like mage would be better in Classic, since farming is so important for the mounts.

If you learn to play the AH well, there's no need to ever farm for gold. If you aren't into that, you can always group up with people to farm high value items (like Righteous Orbs) in dungeons. I plan on doing the latter as a tank.

I never really played WoW (especially when it first came out) and recently listening to some old GFW podcasts that often included WoW talk makes me want to see if I missed out on anything back then.

Give it a go. You don't need to buy the game, just the subscription. If you end up not liking it, you're only out $15.

Dellstrami

Feb 1, 2018

Unlike retail, you don't have to buy the $40 expansion + the $15 monthly fee to try it. That's the reason why I never came back to WOW, and the reason why I've gone back to OSRS so many times. This is a lot more accessible to just pick up and play when you want, even if its only for a month. It's pretty likely that their subscriber base will plunge after month 1, and plunge even harder 3-4 months in. I think it'll always be successful and very active but the hype right now is insane and unsustainable.

I'm going to try it out. I'm definitely hyped and I loved playing alongside everyone when OSRS came out, with the economy developing and the rush for certain milestones. It'll be cool to be a part of even though I really didn't play WOW for that long. Who knows how long I'll actually play but I'm looking forward to it.