• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Oct 25, 2017
Cincinnati
Holy shit, I'm happy for you guys but I get in full cold sweat mode just thinking about the slow leveling, the blue gear grinding, the rep farming, the mats farming, THE FUCKING ROGUES GANKING EVERYONE IN SIGHT, the attunements... Shit you've got balls of steel, kudos to you all

At least now most people that are going to play it have done it, and know what to expect. Really, shouldn't even be as bad a grind or anything as it once was. I remember not looking at any kind of guides all the way from 1-60 and it took me like 3 months lol.

GenericBadGuy

Oct 25, 2017
I really hope they take up the OSRS route of updating the game. Imo, the OSRS way of doing it is the best feature in any MMORPG ever.

Also, anyone playing on Shazzrah EU? Can't wait for dem juicy 5 hour login queues. Are they gonna turn logins on all at the same time, or could you just sit in the character selection screen for a couple of hours before hand?

I hear you are kicked from character select after 30 min, but in theory that should work. All realms should go online at the same time.

JCizzle

Avenger
Oct 26, 2017
I can't go back to Classic after playing WoW all these years bc the quality of life has changed so much, but it's a nostalgia trip seeing all this stuff again.

zeknurn

Oct 25, 2017
I really hope they take up the OSRS route of updating the game. Imo, the OSRS way of doing it is the best feature in any MMORPG ever.

Also, anyone playing on Shazzrah EU? Can't wait for dem juicy 5 hour login queues. Are they gonna turn logins on all at the same time, or could you just sit in the character selection screen for a couple of hours before hand?

Me and my group were planning on going Shazzrah but decided to go Gehennas instead. (edit: well for now. it looks like all four existing pvp realms will have queue problems and we might jump to a fresh realm instead).

Last edited:

GenericBadGuy

Oct 25, 2017
Anyone take any screenshots during the stress test? I forgot I took a couple.

291pZhs.jpg

By the way, Joana is streaming his old 1-60 world record, aspect ratio and all. https://www.twitch.tv/joana
It ends one hour before the game goes live, so its literally non-stop leveling for the next 72 hours. Total of more than 4 days of playtime to get to 60, and thats a speedrun.

ShadowAUS

Feb 20, 2019
Australia
At least now most people that are going to play it have done it, and know what to expect. Really, shouldn't even be as bad a grind or anything as it once was. I remember not looking at any kind of guides all the way from 1-60 and it took me like 3 months lol.
Haha I'm a new player going in mostly blind. I've heard the stories so it should be interesting experiencing it for myself.

Anoregon

Oct 25, 2017
I can't go back to Classic after playing WoW all these years bc the quality of life has changed so much, but it's a nostalgia trip seeing all this stuff again.

I'm just looking at it as a fun bonus for already having a wow sub. I don't expect to be raiding much if at all at 60, assuming I even get a character that far before all the idiosyncrasies of vanilla wear on me. But the timing is perfect, as I'm not really into anything else at the moment and the "take forever to do anything" paradigm will serve as a much needed distraction for at least a little while.

GenericBadGuy

Oct 25, 2017
What addons everyone gonna be using?

From my post on page 1:

If you want a list of just a few addons that don't detract much from the game but are pretty handy, these addons were working as of the stress test two weeks ago. Make sure "load out of date addons" is checked in-game, but if the launch broke one just disable it! Just download the zip, unzip it wherever, and put the folder(s) into your [WorldofWarcraft - _classic_ - Interface - Addons] folder:
  • Classic Aura Durations: This addon in conjunction with OmniCC shows a counter over the relevant icon with how many seconds are left before an attack wears off an enemy, a buff wears off of you, or an ability on your bars can be used again.
  • OmniCC: See above
  • Better Vendor Price: This addon shows how much money an item can be sold for when you hover over it, as well as how much you would get for the amount you currently have, and how much you would get if you had a full stack of it.
  • Leatrix Maps: This addon changes the way the map works so that when you open it it will not take up the whole screen. The amount of screen space you want it to take as well as transparency is adjustable. It also has the option if you want to show the whole map even if you haven't explored all of it, but that's no fun.
  • Quest Log Ex: This just makes the quest log window much bigger, so you don't have to scroll.
  • Real Mob Health - This addon attempts to calculate, and display numerically, the actual health an enemy has. The more of that enemy you kill the more accurate it gets, and the data is shared with whoever else has the addon around you.
  • TinyTooltip: Normally when you hover over something its "tooltip", a quick description of what it is, is shown to you in the lower right. That info usually is name, level, and description. This addon lets you change where that information goes such as on your cursor, as well as show a whole array of optional information like class colors or whatnot. Whats cool is it can show a 3d model of whoever you hover over.

That's all I will start with since I don't want to go crazy and I have no idea how mods that move your bars, light up freaking fireworks on your screen or whatever...work anyway.

Oh I did forget a funny one:

Peggle! Yes, it works within WoW, and has its own talent trees and stuff. Ignore the fact that this pic was taken in Wrath:
Peggle1.jpg

Last edited:

voOsh

Apr 5, 2018
Any good add-ons that optimize questing? I remember them being very valuable back in the day to make sure I was traversing the map efficiently.

Nov 1, 2017
One thing you'll realize quickly when playing classic is that every green feels like a gift, every blue? Now your getting hyped. A purple?! Holy shit this is awesome. Hell you'll probably be running around in greys for a time and when you notice someone got shoulders even if it is grey you'll feel a pang of jealousy.

Anoregon

Oct 25, 2017
Any good add-ons that optimize questing? I remember them being very valuable back in the day to make sure I was traversing the map efficiently.

Azeroth auto pilot, a very popular modern wow addon that helps with questing, is being ported to classic. For now it looks like it only goes from 1-40 though. I imagine there are also old quest helper addons that will be brought up to work with classic.

CHC

Oct 27, 2017
Torn between priest and rogue.

On one hand, I was a rogue in classic so (a) I already know what to do and (b) it's full throwback mode.

On the other hand, a priest will never want for a group, can MC people, and has the Benediction quest line.

Errybody got choices

Mcfrank

Oct 28, 2017
Hopefully the release of this will cause people's nostalgia blinders to wear off a bit.

Rats

Oct 25, 2017
I'm opposite. Playing retail nowadays is what makes me want to play classic lol.
+1. I've barely touched WoW since Cata happened because it just doesn't feel like the game I fell in love with. I've dabbled with some other MMOs but nothing ever scratched that same itch. I've messed around with private servers a bit over the past year and have confirmed that, no, it's not rOsE-tInTeD gOgGlEs. There's a reason vanilla WoW was such a cultural milestone for the medium. There's something extremely special about it.

Hopefully the release of this will cause people's nostalgia blinders to wear off a bit.

5a44135dead9ad7e629948d6554ce684.gif

JG_Lionheart

Dec 3, 2018
man...quoting a poster above...I get cold sweats just thinking about OG WoW. The long ass BG queues. The attunements. Man.

Anyways, remind me, if paladins can't really tank (don't tell me they can, I tried to make that work and MAN!), can't really dps, could they even heal a 5 man dungeon in classic with Flash of Light spam?

GenericBadGuy

Oct 25, 2017
I'd be real interested in seeing what the level distribution is after, say, 3-4 months, and how many characters created in the first week ever hit 60 at all.

To be fair, even 15 years ago only a fraction of the total population ever went to 60.

man...quoting a poster above...I get cold sweats just thinking about OG WoW. The long ass BG queues. The attunements. Man.

Anyways, remind me, if paladins can't really tank (don't tell me they can, I tried to make that work and MAN!), can't really dps, could they even heal a 5 man dungeon in classic with Flash of Light spam?

Paladins are great healers!

SDBurton

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017

Paladins are probably the second best healer in Vanilla behind Priest. Will be rolling a Holy Paladin myself.

Shoichi

Jan 10, 2018
On a pvp server. I will imagine Southshore/Tarren Mill, STV and Barrens will be warzones. Skeletons a plenty.

I went Shaman in Vanilla (I read the strategy guide and it said they could carry a totem pole and didn't find out later it was removed...) Will be going Priest because they were amongst the classes I hated most as Shaman. Although I did love my Purges lol

Zealuu

Feb 13, 2018
On a pvp server. I will imagine Southshore/Tarren Mill, STV and Barrens will be warzones. Skeletons a plenty.

I went Shaman in Vanilla (I read the strategy guide and it said they could carry a totem pole and didn't find out later it was removed...) Will be going Priest because they were amongst the classes I hated most as Shaman. Although I did love my Purges lol

I remember priest as a solid and mostly fun vanilla class, both levelling as Shadow/Disc and then later healing as Disc/Holy. The only drawback was that farming for mats was kinda slow unless I respecced back to shadow, but you can solve that with a partner. Not gonna do it all over again this time though. Might actually go shaman myself now, can't decide between that and Mage (the only class I've never had a max level character of).

Posted some screenshots from the final stress test on Twitter. We were lining up and making orderly queues to kill quest mobs in Tirisfal Glades, the place was so packed.

Euman

Oct 25, 2017
It's like the love of my life vanished with no sign like 12 years ago. Now she's back. And she wants to get married.

ChrisR

Oct 26, 2017
I can't wait!

Wont rush to 60, and will probably only raid some MC and BWL but damn is this going to be fun.

Euman

Oct 25, 2017

Pallies are great in 5 mans for pretty much any role. It's endgame content where they get pigeon holed into healing.

Shoichi

Jan 10, 2018
I remember priest as a solid and mostly fun vanilla class, both levelling as Shadow/Disc and then later healing as Disc/Holy. The only drawback was that farming for mats was kinda slow unless I respecced back to shadow, but you can solve that with a partner. Not gonna do it all over again this time though. Might actually go shaman myself now, can't decide between that and Mage (the only class I've never had a max level character of).

Yeah. I will probably go either Mage or Priest in the end. I made a Priest for now though. I have a Mage I had since BC (Belf) still on live at max level. Being able to just gather everyone in SM, hide behind a wall and AoE them all down was fun.
I enjoyed Shaman in Vanilla mostly because I loved smacking people with Unstoppable Force into a WF proc (can't remember if it still could proc off its own proc lol). Vaporizing cloth wearers on occasion.

Chiramii

Oct 25, 2017
Norway
Don't intend to go at it as hard as I did back then, I'll pace myself and just enjoy it with friends who are in the same boat. Alliance on Firemaw-EU for me, have fun everyone!

Rats

Oct 25, 2017
Posted some screenshots from the final stress test on Twitter. We were lining up and making orderly queues to kill quest mobs in Tirisfal Glades, the place was so packed.
Orderly queues, lul. In Durotar we crowded around the spawn point and spammed attack hoping to get the tag.

Mudcrab

Avenger
Oct 26, 2017
Biting the bullet and going with a PvP realm. Grobbulus is an option. How do y'all feel about RP servers? How strict do people act?

No one on an RP server expects you to actually RP as a rule, just don't mess with people if they happen to be doing it when you're around.

I personally don't RP but I also certainly won't ruin it for others. That said, I like RP servers because of the community that tends to pop up (and because name like BigTittyGF are bannable)

DoctorDake

Development Director
Verified
Mar 28, 2018
Austin, TX
Peggle! Yes, it works within WoW, and has its own talent trees and stuff. Ignore the fact that this pic was taken in Wrath:
Peggle1.jpg
OH MAN I forgot about this addon until you posted it! This genuinely made my enjoyment of the game that much better, because you could set it to open automatically when you start a flight and close automatically when you land. I wasted way too much time post-griffon ride just finishing up one more level.

CreepingFear

Banned
Oct 27, 2017