• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Rokal

Oct 25, 2017
Tower of the Damned is sounding pretty awesome. Very very glad to hear that it is not timed. A repeatable and worthwhile dungeon experience at level cap that your group can play at their own pace is super welcome news for me.

Bane

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Fuck, alliance and horde playing together shot down. I figured this was the case when it hadn't been mentioned yet but they really fumbled the writing. It really seemed things were heading that way. Very disappointed.

Is anyone else seeing an odd language on the blizzard shop page? That's the only one and on my account page it says it's still set to english.

Bane

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
What about these Sylvanas retcons? I'm not watching and am not seeing anything about that on wowhead.

Ah, I see. The stuff with The Jailer. Huh...

Last edited:

Jag

Oct 26, 2017

Guess I am going to farm Shadowmourne after all.

What about these Sylvanas retcons? I'm not watching and am not seeing anything about that on wowhead.

Ah, I see. The stuff with The Jailer. Huh...

The killing of the Lich King comes later though. All the killing she has done has made her stronger, she will obviously have enough power by the time she takes on the LK. Not really a retcon, more a procon.

Bane

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Guess I am going to farm Shadowmourne after all.

The killing of the Lich King comes later though. All the killing she has done has made her stronger, she will obviously have enough power by the time she takes on the LK. Not really a retcon, more a procon.

Oh I get her taking down Bolvar (though he's not dead), I assumed the retcon was saying she's been working with the jailer since the end of Wrath.

OP
OP
Prophet Five

Prophet Five

Pundeath Knight
Nov 11, 2017
The Great Dark Beyond
Oh I get her taking down Bolvar (though he's not dead), I assumed the retcon was saying she's been working with the jailer since the end of Wrath.

that's it yeah.

Her being heroic in Legion has been retconned to "she was just trying to be Warchief/gain power"

which literally doesn't match the in game cinematics but ok. I'm done with their story they've decimated for her. Just give me the expansion, lol.

Royalan

I can say DEI; you can't.
Oct 24, 2017
One thing I'm confused by...

Are the new death knights created before Sylvanas destroys the helm? Or does Bolvar somehow maintain that power even after the helm is destroyed?

Fanuilos

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
I can just see them pulling a "revenge is bad" story where Tyrande kills Sylvanas and her soul is the tipping point that frees the jailer or something.

Bane

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017

Are the new death knights created before Sylvanas destroys the helm? Or does Bolvar somehow maintain that power even after the helm is destroyed?

It was stated at one of the panels that he knows she's coming and raises them to fight against her. I imagine that's what the new starting area will cover.

MHWilliams

Oct 25, 2017

I believe the stated answer here is Bolvar creates the new Death Knights prior to the cinematic, knowing that Sylvanas is coming. Similar to how any Death Knight prior to Shadowlands goes all the way back to before Wrath in the timeline.

Magnus

Oct 25, 2017
that's it yeah.

Her being heroic in Legion has been retconned to "she was just trying to be Warchief/gain power"

which literally doesn't match the in game cinematics but ok. I'm done with their story they've decimated for her. Just give me the expansion, lol.

Why is it a retcon? Even if it's stupid, couldn't it truly, feasibly have been a long con?

carlsojo

Oct 28, 2017
San Francisco

I don't think Bolvar needs the helm to make Death Knights.

The Legion class campaign has you (the Deathlord) raising Trollbane, Nazgrim, and Whitemaine as Death Knights.

Frozenprince

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Fuck, alliance and horde playing together shot down. I figured this was the case when it hadn't been mentioned yet but they really fumbled the writing. It really seemed things were heading that way. Very disappointed.

Is anyone else seeing an odd language on the blizzard shop page? That's the only one and on my account page it says it's still set to english.
I, flatly, don't believe them. Everything from the mechanics to the narrative points to them doing a soft "reboot" and dissolving the current faction system. Maybe not this x-pac, but it's coming. The divide makes no sense anymore and with the player base dwindling YoY there's no reason to continue it. It's not like the story content is markedly different once you get past a certain point.

Anoregon

Oct 25, 2017
I don't think Bolvar needs the helm to make Death Knights.

The Legion class campaign has you (the Deathlord) raising Trollbane, Nazgrim, and Whitemaine as Death Knights.

Yeah, that's also possible. We also don't know what effects the veil between life and death being destroyed will have on folks already attuned to Death magic. Bolvar aint the Lich King anymore but he may be still be analogous to a top-tier Death Knight.

I'm very interested in seeing how his story plays out. Is he the de-facto leader of the Ebon Blade? Is he doing his own thing? There's a lot of potential now that they have firmly shot down the "lich king 2.0 evil bolvar" possibility.

OP
OP
Prophet Five

Prophet Five

Pundeath Knight
Nov 11, 2017
The Great Dark Beyond
Why is it a retcon? Even if it's stupid, couldn't it truly, feasibly have been a long con?

It just doesn't make sense with how they've written her previously - including the scene where Vol'jin names her Warchief and she's visibly confused by all of it and then after she's clearly like "we're gonna fuck the Legion up because they killed my bro who I respected even if I didn't always -agree- with."

Her being a villain this whole time is insulting to the players, especially her fans. Imagine siding with her in BFA and then just now being like "lol y'all are actually idiots she fucked you over lolololol" in an official capacity because that's absolutely what happened. It sucks. She wasn't "visibly evil" until BFA and now they're just pretending everyone was just too stupid to see it or whatever since 2009. What a terrible plot choice.

Bregor

Oct 27, 2017
That can be explained away as her just acting.

However...

There's external fiction that gives her actual thoughts, and that is harder to explain away.

Royalan

I can say DEI; you can't.
Oct 24, 2017
To me, it just comes off as the new writing team trying to have their cake and eat it too.

There's a way that Sylvanas' behavior makes sense and that the revelation that she's been soulbound (I'm assuming that's what this is) to The Jailer makes sense...if you make it recent history. There was a notable shift in Sylvanas' perceived motivations all the way back in Legion, and yeah the idea was that this had a lot to do with her deal with Helya, but there's room to make it deeper than that.

Sylvanas binding herself to the Jailer back in Edge of Night? That...just doesn't track. Sure, it makes sense in that the place Sylvanas went to when she died was likely the Maw. But Sylvanas had so much character growth between that moment and Legion that...it doesn't really work that all this time she had all these behind-the-scenes machinations going on.

Finaj

Oct 25, 2017
WoW writing reminds me a lot of comic book writing.

New writers continually coming in and a lot of retcons that are created in response to fan feedback.

Fanuilos

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
I wonder if demonic souls will pop in the Shadowlands. Would be interesting to see Kil'Jaeden and Velen have a chat after the defeat of the legion.

Deleted member 8166

Account closed at user request
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
to be fair they are elf children.
lol

hey you all. My wife and I are thinking about going back to wow and start a new life on the german RP server "Aldor".

Now I bought BFA back in the day digitally, but she never got it. I think she left after pandaria. Would the complete collection be the right choice for her, so she can get the 110 boost, 60 days of play time and all the expacs she missed now?
Or would that create a whole new WoW account for her (she does still want to play with her old chars)?

Deleted member 203

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Keeping Pathfinder sucks ass. I already know I won't want to level alts until I get Pathfinder, which means it feels like an obligation, and it's not fun at all. I don't know how it's contentious. Who's out there going "I absolutely do not want to be able to fly until a year after the expansion comes out and a shitty grind?" Just let people fly at max level and be done with it ffs.

OP
OP
Prophet Five

Prophet Five

Pundeath Knight
Nov 11, 2017
The Great Dark Beyond
That can be explained away as her just acting.

However...

There's external fiction that gives her actual thoughts, and that is harder to explain away.

"Just acting" doesn't work for the players though. Not in my opinion, at least.

It's just another example of "GOTCHA!!" writing which isn't good or clever. Yeah, it boils down to multiple writers handling a set of characters over the past few years but nothing in her motivation showed her being this blatantly psychopathic character and as Royal said, there's potential motivations there that could have been handled well.

People who are trying to go ITS OBVIOUS SHES BEEN EVIL THIS WHOLE TIME are laughing it up right now but if they step down for a second and actually look at it objectively you can see a clear shift in when her motivations changed, not in character, but just from a writer's standpoint. I think that no one knew what to do with her or whatever and they've just decided another horde leader should be the greatest evil.

Kill her off. Let's be done with this mess. Just, for fuck's sake, stop making the player factions leaders go insane. It's a terrible story beat. Give it a rest.

Shahadan

Oct 27, 2017
Maybe Sylanas wants to free us from death.

That said, not only her character has been handled poorly, but the voice actress makes it worse. In the shadowlands cinematic, I couldn't help but laugh anytime she spoke

OP
OP
Prophet Five

Prophet Five

Pundeath Knight
Nov 11, 2017
The Great Dark Beyond
Maybe Sylanas wants to free us from death.

That said, not only her character has been handled poorly, but the voice actress makes it worse. In the shadowlands cinematic, I couldn't help but laugh anytime she spoke

Patty Mattson was probably just given the direction of "Soap Opera villainess from the 80's. Think General Hospital's Helena Cassadine but dialed up to 11." and went to town. She's a great VA but Blizzard really just wants you to know how E V I L she is lol

Rhaknar

Oct 26, 2017
so the consensus from various youtuber interviews seems to be that Shadowlands is VERY early and it might be like a December 2020 release (in fact Preach says he heard December 2020). In fact, that seems like a theme for Blizzcon, every game got a "I dont know when it will come out" response (D4 certainly, but OW2 also apparently)

Anoregon

Oct 25, 2017
so the consensus from various youtuber interviews seems to be that Shadowlands is VERY early and it might be like a December 2020 release (in fact Preach says he heard December 2020). In fact, that seems like a theme for Blizzcon, every game got a "I dont know when it will come out" response (D4 certainly, but OW2 also apparently)

BfA beta (or well, "alpha) opened up shortly after the blizzcon reveal I believe? That definitely doesn't seem to be the case here.

Bregor

Oct 27, 2017
"Just acting" doesn't work for the players though. Not in my opinion, at least.

It's just another example of "GOTCHA!!" writing which isn't good or clever. Yeah, it boils down to multiple writers handling a set of characters over the past few years but nothing in her motivation showed her being this blatantly psychopathic character and as Royal said, there's potential motivations there that could have been handled well.

People who are trying to go ITS OBVIOUS SHES BEEN EVIL THIS WHOLE TIME are laughing it up right now but if they step down for a second and actually look at it objectively you can see a clear shift in when her motivations changed, not in character, but just from a writer's standpoint. I think that no one knew what to do with her or whatever and they've just decided another horde leader should be the greatest evil.

Kill her off. Let's be done with this mess. Just, for fuck's sake, stop making the player factions leaders go insane. It's a terrible story beat. Give it a rest.

I am being as objective as you are. By my judgement, the evil behavior has been the norm since Cata, with the heroic behavior only being interludes. It is far easier to explain the virtuous deeds as acting then to explain how she is "really a good person" yet has repeatedly committed vile deeds.

That is, if you are looking for a consistent explanation of her behavior.

If you step back and look at the writing pattern of WoW as a whole, it really shows that the plot has many similarities to comic books. Retcons are commonly done to justify plot developments, characters change nature to fit the current story, and power levels fluctuate to allow whomever the writer wants to win to do so. I know we would both like a higher standard of consistency, but I think it's safer to keep your expectations in check.

IMO, Blizzard chooses the overall theme of an expansion, devises set pieces by the "rule of cool", stretches the lore to justify mechanics they want to implement, and only then - if they have time - write good stories to go with it. The times they have succeeded in producing a good story in WoW are the exception, not the norm.

Disclaimer

Oct 25, 2017
Patty Mattson was probably just given the direction of "Soap Opera villainess from the 80's. Think General Hospital's Helena Cassadine but dialed up to 11." and went to town. She's a great VA but Blizzard really just wants you to know how E V I L she is lol

Nothing against her as an actress, but I miss Piera Coppola's WC3 Sylvanas.

She wasn't directed to be inanely evil, rather Sylvanas actually had depth of character and sympathetic motivations then: willful leader struggling against the Scourge, made to participate in her people's slaughter, then breaks away and rallies free undead and outwits dreadlords, all while rueing the curse of undeath.

WoW's Sylvanas may as well be a completely different character, and that's cemented in the voice direction she's given.

OP
OP
Prophet Five

Prophet Five

Pundeath Knight
Nov 11, 2017
The Great Dark Beyond
The time change fucked me up so I was up extremely early. And since they announced leveling changes of course I started working on getting another character through BFA content instead of waiting.

hobblygobbly

Oct 25, 2017
NORDFRIESLAND, DEUTSCHLAND
just spent 2 hours farming 40 Echoes of Mortality. I recommend going to Blood Gate in Zuldazar and join a premade group. Constant spawning trolls, I imagine millions of their souls have been sent to the shadowlands at this point lol. It's where everyone is farming for the echoes.

i like it

kFaJoAc.jpg

BQKfrba.jpg

j5PVmBw.jpg

Last edited:

Darkstorne

Oct 26, 2017
England
Keeping Pathfinder sucks ass. I already know I won't want to level alts until I get Pathfinder, which means it feels like an obligation, and it's not fun at all. I don't know how it's contentious. Who's out there going "I absolutely do not want to be able to fly until a year after the expansion comes out and a shitty grind?" Just let people fly at max level and be done with it ffs.
Controversial opinion coming - I quite like it. Though I do agree that waiting until a future patch is too much. I definitely approve of the loremaster part of the requirement though, rather than a simple level cap requirement, since it means you know the lands you're flying over really well. I think it's a good balance between the obvious QoL benefits of flying, and ensuring players don't miss out on environmental narrative and immersion while questing for the first time.

I do completely understand that a lot of players don't care for questing and immersion, but I do think Pathfinder mostly gets the balance right between the issues on both sides of the problem. Though again, I agree that it should be achievable from the start of an expansion for the players that just want to rush through the quests/rep because they appreciate the QoL benefits more than most.
It's odd, right? Over a year of BfA still to go, and how much new content over that year? One of the things I really appreciate about ESO is how consistently they put out new content. Never more than 3 months from the next patch, and every 6 months is a new zone. I know Blizzard keep saying they want to move towards smaller but more frequent expansions (and they'd better lower the prices a bit if they ever do that...) but it's weird to see them keep acknowledging this issue and consistently failing to sort it out.

D4 is an even weirder issue given they've targeted the PS4/Xbone, but clearly won't be launching the game until they're considered last gen consoles. Any competition is going to look a whole generation ahead =/

Cass_Se

Oct 25, 2017
Gating flying in some way is not that bad, but grinding rep X to revered in patch X.2 as a requirement is a massive bummer. It would have been more bearable if that wasn't that case.

Deleted member 203

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Controversial opinion coming - I quite like it. Though I do agree that waiting until a future patch is too much. I definitely approve of the loremaster part of the requirement though, rather than a simple level cap requirement, since it means you know the lands you're flying over really well. I think it's a good balance between the obvious QoL benefits of flying, and ensuring players don't miss out on environmental narrative and immersion while questing for the first time.

I do completely understand that a lot of players don't care for questing and immersion, but I do think Pathfinder mostly gets the balance right between the issues on both sides of the problem. Though again, I agree that it should be achievable from the start of an expansion for the players that just want to rush through the quests/rep because they appreciate the QoL benefits more than most.

It's odd, right? Over a year of BfA still to go, and how much new content over that year? One of the things I really appreciate about ESO is how consistently they put out new content. Never more than 3 months from the next patch, and every 6 months is a new zone. I know Blizzard keep saying they want to move towards smaller but more frequent expansions (and they'd better lower the prices a bit if they ever do that...) but it's weird to see them keep acknowledging this issue and consistently failing to sort it out.

D4 is an even weirder issue given they've targeted the PS4/Xbone, but clearly won't be launching the game until they're considered last gen consoles. Any competition is going to look a whole generation ahead =/
Yeah if it was just Loremaster and you could unlock it as soon as the expansion is out I'd be fine with it. It's mostly being forced to do boring WQs for weeks that gets me, and having to wait until x.2. It's far too long. I probably agree with you that it's the best middle ground, though I wouldn't be upset if they just let players fly all the time, because flying is fun. Getting dazed off your mount is not.

Darkstorne

Oct 26, 2017
England
Yeah if it was just Loremaster and you could unlock it as soon as the expansion is out I'd be fine with it. It's mostly being forced to do boring WQs for weeks that gets me, and having to wait until x.2. It's far too long. I probably agree with you that it's the best middle ground, though I wouldn't be upset if they just let players fly all the time, because flying is fun. Getting dazed off your mount is not.
Yeah, dazed has always been an awful mechanic. I have no idea how that's still a thing.

Metroidvania

Oct 25, 2017
that's it yeah.

Yeah....in and of itself, it wouldn't be a huge deal if we're looking in the context of BfA...

Except that we as players have actual 'official' external fiction that takes place before then (Edge of Night, Before the Storm, and to some extent, the three sisters comic) that gives voice to Sylvanas' plans at the time - that we have access to through actually 'seeing' her own internal motivations - in that she wanted to use the valky'r/the forsaken as a shield against going back to the Maw.

Of which, her (relatively) small actions in Legion make sense - she wants Helya's lantern to make more valky'r, and thus, enters some kind of mystery 'bargain' with her....and she also literally states that she didn't want to be warchief, and was doing it out of respect for Vol'jin.

(Granted, the 'mystery' bargain has a lot of the same narrative traps that JJ Abrams likes to use in the 'lots of mystery for everyone' level of bad writing, but it wasn't really followed up on at the time - I assume that by now, it's Helya asking to be freed in exchange for helping Sylv out)

Only now, that entire sequence has been changed, which leads to a new 'read' on the situation of the events of early BfA with the burning as a sacrifice to the Jailor instead of to decimate the alliance.

In and of itself, the retcon makes....at least some sense if we're limited to only looking at BfA - but it reverses a LOT of pre-published work/information about Sylvanas' motivations/goals.

In essence, it changes Sylvanas' even into more of a 'twirly-mustache' 4d evil chess player, because apparently, she was lying not only to others, but to her own internal monologues.

It's pretty evident Blizz had to massively course-adjust (and/or the rule of cool first and foremost) based on response to BfA, but this is.....bleargh.

Status
Not open for further replies.