• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

delete12345

One Winged Slayer
Nov 17, 2017
Boston, MA
GENEVA (AFP) - The World Health Organisation has for the first time recognised "burn-out" in its International Classification of Diseases (ICD), which is widely used as a benchmark for diagnosis and health insurers.

The decision, reached during the World Health Assembly in Geneva, which wraps up on Tuesday (May 28), could help put to rest decades of debate among experts over how to define burnout, and whether it should be considered a medical condition.

In the latest update of its catalogue of diseases and injuries around the world, WHO defines burn-out as "a syndrome conceptualised as resulting from chronic workplace stress that has not been successfully managed".

Because this was recently announced, I wanted to ask if this includes "video gaming burn-out", especially with "game development burn-out"?

Oct 28, 2017
Game companies will definitely stretch that definition, saying that devs aren't stressed, they're just working long hours, so they aren't burnt out.

Hailinel

Shamed a mod for a tag
Oct 27, 2017
Video gaming burnout has nothing on professional burnout. Getting tired of games is nothing to the mental and physical drain that is the medical definition of burnout.

Com_Raven

Brand Manager
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
Europa
What the hell is even that question oO Why would a burn-out from job A count, and from job B not? And no, getting sick of a game you have played for too much is not a medical condition...

OP
OP
delete12345

delete12345

One Winged Slayer
Nov 17, 2017
Boston, MA
What the hell is even that question oO Why would a burn-out from job A count, and from job B not? And no, getting sick of a game you have played for too much is not a medical condition...

I see.

This is why I ask a question about this. It's so I can prevent myself from misunderstanding the point and to hear others' opinions on this. Thanks.

GhostTrick

Oct 25, 2017
Game developpement is a job. So it applies to the burn-out of course. But I don't understand your '"videogame burn-out".

Kyuuji

The Favonius Fox
Nov 8, 2017
Why are you downplaying a mental health disorder that's recognized by the World Health Organization?
do you actually think you're being clever or funny or
My post was in reply to someone clarifying that being "burnt out" from playing a video game too much is not the same as being burnt out as defined in the OP.

So I'm not, and no I don't.

snausages

Feb 12, 2018
For me, my burn out from work made me feel physically sick. I'm still not over it

I don't think I've ever had that with a game?

Ms.Galaxy

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
The horror stories we've heard about the development of games such as Anthem and Red Dead Redemption 2 is evidence enough how serious burn out can be. People literally breaking down and getting sick for long time.

Kyuuji

The Favonius Fox
Nov 8, 2017
To clarify as well, burn out at my last place of employment led to me having crippling 12-16hr panic attacks, four of which ended up with me in the hospital via an ambulance. I once had one while driving between the office and a client, pulled over, vomited by the side of the road and nearly passed out before a woman ran over to call an ambulance and assist.

So not going to find me mocking the recognition of it as a medical condition.

Paquete_PT

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
You can't get burn-out from an hobby. But of course game development must be a fertile place for burn-out. It's a serious condition that will represent a progressively bigger burden in our society moving forward.

eonden

Oct 25, 2017
Let's say we have someone who plays eSports as a profession. And they feel this "burn-out" I guess.

I want to know if this eSports burn-out is considered as what WHO describes.
Their job is playing the game and a lot of players have actually faced lots of mental issues and depression with burn-out. So yes.

Similar to how professional players in sports can face burn-out due to the high stakes and stress that their job can give them.

Watchtower

Oct 27, 2017
Game development is software development, and so if software development burnout counts then game development burnout also counts.

cyrribrae

Chicken Chaser
Jan 21, 2019
Let's say we have someone who plays eSports as a profession. And they feel this "burn-out" I guess.

I want to know if this eSports burn-out is considered as what WHO describes.
Sure. The same way YouTube burnout can be a thing. Burn out is a function of being overworked, while feeling unfulfilled and without prospect of things getting better. E-Sports probably has some of that for sure. Tons of repetitive work, lots of toxicity and competition, and really pressure stakes. But, I think dev crunch is one of the worst environments for exactly this. No amount of money is going to prevent burnout.

At least there's no vicarious trauma and stuff.

Hailinel

Shamed a mod for a tag
Oct 27, 2017
I've suffered burnout from working in software development before. All I can say to it is that thank goodness my burnout wasn't ultimately as bad as that suffered in some of the worst horror stories I've heard. That being said, it took me nearly a month away from work before I even started feeling normal again.

When you reach the point, as I did, where you lay in bed not knowing if the ultimatum you were screaming was a nightmare or an auditory hallucination, you're in too deep, and passed the point of acceptable long before. (Yes, I still believe the burnout I suffered wasn't even among the worst cases I've heard.)