• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

MrGiraffe

Feb 27, 2020
lol the Brazil salt is starting many months before the games this time around.

The cope is real.

Maybe you should all debate how ackshually Baggio didn't miss that penalty, he was bullied by Taffarel

signal

Oct 28, 2017
If America beats England, FootyEra OT for next season has to be renamed to SoccyEra OT

criesofthepast

Crash Test Dummy
Oct 25, 2017
Would love for canada to get a win in the group phase, that should be considered a big success. I'd probably be thrilled with a point though. If they somehow made it out of the group phase it'd be a miracle. They could easily lose all 3 games. Anything can happen and I am hopeful. It will be a great learning experience for 2026.

eonden

Oct 25, 2017
So now I am certain you didnt watch this Brazil, in terms of raw talent it only really loses to France
Not sure you have seen other European teams if you think that is top raw talent. Their offensive power looks great but European teams have been trained to handle that kind of shit for more than a decade now which makes them really hard to crack open.

Bobson Dugnutt

Self Requested Ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Not every nation spends every single WC saying "this time we will go far, this is the most talented team we have had". Unless you are english or american I guess.

euro 2020 was the first time there was a widespread positive expectation about England since the 'golden generation' of 2006. It's so boring to see his shit when this is the first world cup in 16 years that this trope is actually true. While people hating the side due to our politics is said I have less problem with people being anti english because its inevitable as the country has behaved like dickheads for the last 10 years (and plenty of time before) or just annoyed about the hooligan element in our fanbase but could you at least get the reason you dislike us/our fans correct plz ta x

Last edited:

Ra

Rap Genius
Oct 27, 2017
Dark Space

hmp

Mar 29, 2022
I do wonder where England supporters have got their football arrogance from.

It's like they forgot that they haven't won a title since 1966

Calderc

Oct 25, 2017
I'd like to hope people don't allow nationalism to push them toward foolishness that would get them banned.

I mean it's not like the mod team isn't going to plan ahead and try to quell the fervor so people keep cool heads.
Lmao you're already calling people dickheads in here and this is the draw thread!

Puroresu_kid

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Nah, if Iran plays like they did last WC, I can see USA (and maybe England) having trouble scoring a goal vs them. They played a very solid defence. Same with the other EU team, if it is Ukraine or Wales it could be a tough match for USA / England (yeah, England demolished Ukraine in the Euros, but it was vs a Ukraine with most of their top talent injured to hell and death).

Be surprised to see Ukraine even play Scotland let alone beat them.

signal

Oct 28, 2017
Prepping this

LkeQxkJ.jpg

Squid Bunny

One Winged Slayer
Jun 11, 2018
I'd like to hope people don't allow nationalism to push them toward foolishness that would get them banned.

I mean it's not like the mod team isn't going to plan ahead and try to quell the fervor so people keep cool heads.
I do hope the mod team does a good job of quelling racially-charged terms that made the last World Cup thread unbearable (i.e. calling South American/African players "savages").

Jun 20, 2018
Englands fans are weird. Iceland is their only truly embarrassing exit from a tournament in absolutely ages. Don't think 2014 was that embarrassing as they were in a group with Uruguay and Italy who at the time were much better than them, in 2012 by an Italian side much better than them, 2010 a German side much better than them etc. Then they go wild over World Cup 2018 when they best side they beat was Colombia, and then got knocked out by a Croatian side that they should have been much better than on paper, and Euro 2020 by an Italian side they should have been much better than on paper, possibly shown by Italy not even qualifying for the tournaments before or after it.

So in short, they over-react either way. They're bad tournaments aren't really that bad, and their good tournaments aren't really that good.

Fuzzy

Completely non-threatening
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Toronto

Don't forget about the people who will come in just to berate people for watching the WC.

daschysta

Mar 24, 2019
Fifa rankings are hilarious. Belgium was number 1 for a very long period of time and they won zilch. In the end, I think most people just dont consider this Brazil team to be that talented.
They have the future 🐐 Gabi Martinelli. (it's gross that I need to root for the 3 lions to support my young gunners)

GravaGravity

Oct 27, 2017
Any self-respecting englishman has both "it's coming home" and "southgate is a football terrorist" takes ready to go at any time

Ra

Rap Genius
Oct 27, 2017
Dark Space
I do hope the mod team does a good job of quelling racially-charged terms that made the last World Cup thread unbearable (i.e. calling South American/African players "savages").
Don't forget about the people who will come in just to berate people for watching the WC.
I will say this. Lessons will be learned from the 2018 thread. I'm personally doing a review of it myself just to remind myself of how it started and when the ugliness started to manifest. It was embarrassing to see and I'd rather lock the thread before we see a repeat.

To be fair, there were A LOT of bans handed out for inappropriate comments and many or most of those people aren't members of the forum anymore.

But I definitely feel and hear where you are coming from and I have already brought up the World Cup OT as something the mod leadership needs to discuss in our next meeting, so we are prepared and have a strong message out front so things go well. Feel free to shoot me anything you feel needs to be addressed.

The OT should be about us having fun, rooting for our teams, and celebrating the game. Zero tolerance this year for racism and that other bullshit.

ScoutDave

Oct 25, 2017

Its a nice thought. There is always a chance it will be different. But history that dates back to our days at Gaf have proven WC/Euro threads can get pretty feisty.

Squid Bunny

One Winged Slayer
Jun 11, 2018
I will say this. Lessons will be learned from the 2018 thread. I'm personally doing a review of it myself just to remind myself of how it started and when the ugliness started to manifest. It was embarrassing to see and I'd rather lock the thread before we see a repeat.

To be fair, there were A LOT of bans handed out for inappropriate comments and many or most of those people aren't members of the forum anymore.

But I definitely feel and hear where you are coming from and I have already brought up the World Cup OT as something the mod leadership needs to discuss in our next meeting, so we are prepared and have a strong message out front so things go well. Feel free to shoot me anything you feel needs to be addressed.

The OT should be about us having fun, rooting for our teams, and celebrating the game. Zero tolerance this year for racism and that other bullshit.
Thank you, really happy to see that this is being taken seriously.

Parch

Nov 6, 2017
Would love for canada to get a win in the group phase, that should be considered a big success. I'd probably be thrilled with a point though. If they somehow made it out of the group phase it'd be a miracle. They could easily lose all 3 games. Anything can happen and I am hopeful. It will be a great learning experience for 2026.
I'm not expecting anything. Canada is already a winner just by making it to the World Cup. Do we get a participation ribbon?

Mobius 1

Oct 27, 2017
North Point, Osean Federation
Actually feeling better about the Brazil squad this time around. If we kick Bolsonaro out and win the sixth cup around the same time at the end of the year, maybe we will regain some measure of national pride.

Ra

Rap Genius
Oct 27, 2017
Dark Space
I think something England (and US) fans are mistakenly doing is underestimating Iran. They aren't world-beaters, but they have decent enough quality. HOWEVER, they are basically playing at home with Qatar being a short, cheap flight. I suspect Iranians will be flooding the stadium for all three games.
The Iranian crowd will be a sight to behold. Can't count out a team playing with that kind of energy in the stadium.

And it's still catching feelings after all these years. Legendary.
Greatest troll report ever? People still don't get that the NYP was shitting on the US players for celebrating after the tie lmao.

Elynn

Oct 28, 2017
Brittany, France
I'm not saying this with any animosity (on the contrary) but if you're all serious about modding the World Cup thread this time, I hope you at least realize that some mods should not be exempt of criticism in the mess that was the last thread.

Síriocaz

Oct 19, 2019
US vs England would be hilarious
Best opening reply ever.

Mexico has it tough, but it's not too different than previous groups, it's doable. However, and as usual, it is highly improbable it is finishing in 1st place, it's 2nd or getting busted, and as such, it's overwhelmingly likely it'll be playing France in the next round. So yeah, it would be another World Cup, another missed fifth game. Feels bad, man.

cartographer

Oct 25, 2017
Best opening reply ever.

Mexico has it tough, but it's not too different than previous groups, it's doable. However, and as usual, it is highly improbable it is finishing in 1st place, it's 2nd or getting busted, and as such, it's overwhelmingly likely it'll be playing France in the next round. So yeah, it would be another World Cup, another missed fifth game. Feels bad, man.
Tata revenge game. Believe.