• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

takoyaki

Oct 25, 2017
header23ku8.jpg

apps.apple.com

‎World's End Club

‎Twelve 12-year old kids go on a 1,200 km journey. A new type of action-adventure game that fuses a thrilling story with 2D side-scrolling action. A "dream team" adventure game with scenario written by Zero Escape series creator, Kotaro Uchikoshi, and Danganronpa's Kazutaka Kodaka as creative d…
New Trailer on the App Store page when you search for it on iOS / Mac
  • Release: September 4
  • Size: 2.7 GB
  • Game Controller: Optional
  • Seller: Izanagigames, Inc.
  • Compatibility: macOS 10.15.0 or later. Requires iOS 13.0 or later
  • Platforms: Compatible with iPhone, iPad, iPod touch, Apple TV, Mac
  • Languages: English, Arabic, Dutch, French, German, Italian, Japanese, Korean, Portuguese, Russian, Simplified Chinese, Spanish, Traditional Chinese, Turkish
  • Age Rating: 12+

Gematsu said:
About

Twelve 12-year old kids go on a 1,200 km journey.

A new type of action-adventure game that fuses a thrilling story with 2D side-scrolling action.

A "dream team" adventure game with scenario written by Zero Escape series creator, Kotaro Uchikoshi, and Danganronpa's Kazutaka Kodaka as creative director.

Gematsu said:
Key Features
  • Simple controls.
  • A fusion of 2D scrolling puzzle-action game and story-adventure game.
  • Key player choices alter the course of the adventure throughout the branching story.
  • 12 unique and interesting characters!
  • Famous locations all over Japan.
  • The story unfolds in… unexpected ways.

Gematsu said:
Summary

In an elementary school in Tokyo, there's a club called the "Go-Getters Club," made up from oddball kids from all over Japan. Reycho and the other members are somehow different than the other kids around them.

Then, one day, during the summer…

While on the bus for their class trip, they get into an accident.

When they wake up, they're in a theme park under the sea.

Reycho and the others are trapped inside this strange, long-abandoned place.

Suddenly, from out of nowhere, a mysterious clown appears and orders them to play a "Fate Game"!

Before any of them can figure out what's happening, they're fighting for their very lives.

Will they be able to survive and make it out of this weird place?

The kids are all lost and confused…

But then, extraordinary powers begin to awaken within them.

While at the same time…

"Abnormal events" are occurring all over the Earth.

source: Touch Arcade via Gematsu

New Screenshots from the App Store Pages:

And some older footage from TGS 2019:

Last edited:

Strings

Oct 27, 2017
Huh. Unless this works on my old ass iPad, I'm gonna have to wait until it releases on something else :(

RecRoulette

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
The whole game? Not like Episode 1 or something? Alright I'll resub to Apple Arcade for this

Strings

Oct 27, 2017
The images and the gameplay just looks so bland and boring :(.
It was initially being billed as their ultimate killing game story. Iunno if they're pulling back on the language in the description because it's on the app store or if there have been changes to the concept to make it 'softer'. Worth noting the co-director alongside Uchikoshi is Takumi Nakazawa who worked with him on the Infinity games, etc.

... I'm also not sure if Kodaka is actually working on this game much or just being used as a name for marketing.

AllEchse

Oct 29, 2017
Good on the on securing the apple paycheck.
Hope the exclusivity doesn't hold for too long.

Last edited:

Deleted member 9330

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
note: will probably also come to Mac since there's a Mac App Store page and macOS is listed under compatibility

All Apple Arcade games have to be on all platforms, so Mac is guaranteed

Good on the on securing the apple check.
Hope the exclusivity doesnät hold for too long.

Apple Arcade means it has permanent mobile exclusivity, other platforms are fair game. Switch is not considered mobile in this case.

Strings

Oct 27, 2017
Those are Pokemon characters.
The artist, Take, is great. If you've seen Katanagatari:

9568e928c4733ca29607efb0f4fa7920.jpg

they did the designs for that. There's an episode that goes hard on the 'horror' which makes me think they're a fabulous pick for where this game likely goes. They also did the best designs in Sword and Shield:

sheaaaa

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
So just like with Shantae
It will probably still take a few month right?

Some Apple Arcade games, especially at launch, were released unfinished, presumably to meet Apple's deadline. So it might be a good thing if something you're looking forward to only hits the platforms you want it on a few months later.

Gradon

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Oct 25, 2017
UK
I hope this means it'll release on console the same date. Can't wait.

OP
OP
takoyaki

takoyaki

Oct 25, 2017
I hope this means it'll release on console the same date. Can't wait.
Nothing has been announced so far, but I don't think it's out of the question until they say it's Arcade exclusive.

Death Come True, Izanagi Game's previous title, didn't lock down launch platforms for a long time either. It came out on Switch, iOS and Android at launch and released on PC a few weeks later. PS4 is still tba.

Like mentioned above, the Apple Arcade deal seems to prevent an Android release at launch but Sayonara Wild Hearts shows that a game can release simultaneously on Arcade and consoles/PC.

Izanagi Games haven't updated the game's Twitter or Website yet, so they'll probably announce their release strategy after updating those. I'd expect that to happen pretty soon, game's out in under a month.

Last edited:

waugh

Attempted to circumvent ban with an alt-account
Banned
Feb 21, 2020
This might be the last type of game I would want of a Kodaka Uchikoshi joint.

I think its a pretty good choice. Both devs are known for making more game-y visual novels.So this is that without the VN part anymore outside of cutscenes maybe

purseowner

From the mirror universe
Oct 25, 2017
UK
I've been in the market for a new phone for a while and now this seriously has me pondering an iPhone.

purseowner

From the mirror universe
Oct 25, 2017
UK
I think there might be a few months Apple Arcade exclusivity and the devs are under an Apple-timed-exclusive gag order about it. Still - hoping for some clarification soon...

The artist, Take, is great. If you've seen Katanagatari:

9568e928c4733ca29607efb0f4fa7920.jpg

they did the designs for that. There's an episode that goes hard on the 'horror' which makes me think they're a fabulous pick for where this game likely goes. They also did the best designs in Sword and Shield:

Thanks for this - explains why they looked familiar.

OP
OP
takoyaki

takoyaki

Oct 25, 2017
I think there might be a few months Apple Arcade exclusivity and the devs are under an Apple-timed-exclusive gag order about it. Still - hoping for some clarification soon...
You might be right. It's been a couple of days now and they still haven't updated the website or twitter account and I haven't seen anyone involved tweet about the game or its sudden last-minute name change. Maybe they didn't expect the store pages to go up this early and just aren't quite ready to talk yet, but it still feels weird.

purseowner

From the mirror universe
Oct 25, 2017
UK
So I had an idea about this. Most games that launch into Apple Arcade are timed exclusives, but not always. The game hasn't been officially re-announced yet - this has simply been found on the App Store and the devs have made no acknowledgement of it or the new title.

I think there's a chance we are waiting on an NDA lifting, but not an Apple one. Hopeful it might show up at the Switch Indie World presentation tomorrow.

Chopchop

Oct 25, 2017
So the game is trying hard to be 121212 instead of 999.

And then:
Heh.

I dunno about this platforming thing and I was a bit meh about Somnium Files, but I'll give this a shot because I like both DR and Zero Escape.

Inb4 this is a crazy mental vr trip and that they aren't actually 12 years old
I bet they'll throw some motherfuckin morphogenetic field in there for good measure.

purseowner

From the mirror universe
Oct 25, 2017
UK
I think it'll drop on Apple Arcade and there'll still be no official acknowledgement from Uchikoshi, Kodaka, or the dev accounts.

OP
OP
takoyaki

takoyaki

Oct 25, 2017
It's super weird, right?

You'd think that at the very least, they would have taken down the old website and twitter account with the outdated information. At this point, I wouldn't completely rule out the idea that this is a separate version for Apple devices with tamer content and a different title. It could also just be a bad game that they want to get out quietly while still making back some money from Apple Arcade. Ot their deal with Apple really prevents them from saying anything, but again, why keep the old website etc. up if that's the case?

If you plan to get this on iOS, you either already have an Arcade subscription or you can use your free month of Arcade / re-subscribe for a month.

So even if the game turned out really bad and they are trying to bury it, the radio silence on their part isn't quite as bad as if this were a $60 game. At this point, I'm just curious to check it out and find out for myself.

edit: We're 12 days away from release so maybe we'll get some info today and it's all part of a dumb marketing strategy, but I kinda doubt it.

Last edited:

Strings

Oct 27, 2017
It's definitely weird. Nakazawa has actually been tweeting a lot and none of it is about the game (which I asked him about a month ago two months ago (I forgot July happened because 2020) and he told me to wait a little more).

Last edited:

KaiPow

Oct 25, 2017
I recently had an interview with Kodaka-san (like two weeks ago) and he didn't have anything to say on DMC/WEC so this random drop is pretty surprising.

Can you talk about your next project, Death March Club?

I'm sure I'll be able to make an announcement soon, so please stay tuned.

The only thing I can say for now is that it's not an exaggeration to say that this is going to be Kotaro Uchikoshi's best scenario!

Wccftech Interview

Red_V2

Oct 25, 2017
This is so odd that they are shadow dropping it. I hope it ain't ass but I'll give it a try

OP
OP
takoyaki

takoyaki

Oct 25, 2017
Checked it out for a couple of minutes on iOS.

The game looks sharp on a current iPhone and seems to run pretty well, touch controls are swipe based so there's no intrusive button HUD, controller support options in the menu, only Japanese VA but tons of subtitle languages:

lang2qka4.jpg

purseowner

From the mirror universe
Oct 25, 2017
UK
6 months until console? 😰😰😰
but why.
This is true despair

And I'm more than a little miffed that they silently canceled the PC version that was originally promised.

Will watch the thread for impressions (spoiler-free ones of course) - curious as to how this is.

Anumariku

Jan 8, 2020
What in the world is going on with this game? Was pretty excited when it was first announced as I love both Uchikoshi's games & Danganronpa, but haven't heard much of anything until this thread, and its basically being dropped with no notice and no push from the devs? On top of a random name change, and only on apple arcade (for now). Getting a bad feeling about how this is going to turn out.....

Bricky

Oct 26, 2017
This is just bizarre. I was always under the impression this was supposed to be Tookyo Games' first major release? Yet here we are getting a spiritual successor to both Danganronpa and Zero Escape shadow dropped on Apple Arcade with complete radio silence from all involved on social media. I had to find out about the next Uchikoshi game releasing by barely noticing this ERA thread? Even Death Come True was (heck, still is) constantly promoted.

Might just go ahead and borrow a family member's iOS device real quick to check this out but otherwise very curious to hear impressions. If we're lucky all this is just because of some Apple Arcade contract shenanigans.

OP
OP
takoyaki

takoyaki

Oct 25, 2017
SPOILERS for the first 30 Minutes

Two short Let's Plays for anyone curious to see the game in action:

purseowner

From the mirror universe
Oct 25, 2017
UK
I can't believe Uchikoshi finally made Zero Escape 3 :P

Given it's Apple Arcade, I wonder how meaty this is or not length-wise.

TLH

Oct 29, 2017
The style, the cast and the voices don't appeal to me at all. Seeing the last games Uchikoshi has written, I guess his style just isn't for me anymore :/