• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

retrosega

Jun 14, 2019
The PS3 is looking like it will become a very collectable machine due to it's quirky hardware profile.
I can see the remaining working consoles and pads rocketing in value over the next few years, following the path of the Neo Geo AES and the Sega Saturn.

Sony doesn't care about the PS3 now as it seems the Cell's too difficult for them to emulate, so it will be a forgotten gem imo.
Don't sleep on it.

Fularu

Oct 25, 2017
The PS3 is looking like it will become a very collectable machine due to it's quirky hardware profile.
I can see the remaining working consoles and pads rocketing in value over the next few years, following the path of the Neo Geo AES and the Sega Saturn.

Sony doesn't care about the PS3 now as it seems the Cell's too difficult for them to emulate, so it will be a forgotten gem imo.
Don't sleep on it.
What

Saturns are dirt cheap

Dest

Has seen more 10s than EA ever will
Coward
Jun 4, 2018
Work
There are other methods of playing these games, thankfully (RPCS3 is pretty damn good and only getting better). And the PS3 wasn't a slouch sales wise.

Kraken3dfx

Oct 25, 2017
Denver, CO
I got super lucky awhile back and picked up 2 lightly used PS3 Slims for $20 each, and a 3rd w/o a working optical drive for $10.

At some point I'm going to crack it open and see if I can figure out what's wrong with it, need to get my My Mate Vince big boy pants on.

maximumzero

Oct 25, 2017
New Orleans, LA
I dunno, there's 87 million of the things kicking about in the wild.

Compared to the Saturn's measly 9 million units, its understandable why that console is much more "collectible" and valuable.

ghostcrew

The Shrouded Ghost
Administrator
Oct 27, 2017
Small tangent but the Sega Saturn is not in the same conversation as the Neo Geo AES. I'd argue that it's one of the cheapest retro consoles you can buy?

Can buy one right now for ÂŁ50, buy it now, on eBay. I bought mine for ÂŁ30 towards the end of its life. The consoles are worth nothing. Some games are worth a lot, but not the hardware. I have three in my garage!

OP
OP
retrosega

retrosega

Jun 14, 2019
Small tangent but the Sega Saturn is not in the same conversation as the Neo Geo AES. I'd argue that it's one of the cheapest retro consoles you can buy?

Can buy one right now for ÂŁ50, buy it now, on eBay. I bought mine for ÂŁ30 towards the end of its life. They're nothing.
The games are expensive though. As time goes by the hardware will catch up as more and more break.
Same with the PS3. How many fats are still actually working?

I'm gutted as I've lost 2 fat PS3's myself and they're probably my favourite console profile of all time.

OP
OP
retrosega

retrosega

Jun 14, 2019
The 60GB launch models are going to be worth a lot. The rest? I don't think so.
It really depends how many PS3's actually survive. At the moment PS3's are very cheap in the UK and so are the games, but I can see that changing over the coming years as stocks dry up.

Look at the Dualshock 3 situation. Practically no working official pads left to buy, so the price rockets.

dom

â–˛ Legend â–˛
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
The games are expensive though. As time goes by the hardware will catch up as more and more break.
Same with the PS3. How many fats are still actually working?

I'm gutted as I've lost 2 fat PS3's myself and they're probably my favourite console profile of all time.
The Fat is a capacitor fix for YLOD. Was found fairly recent. Also, no point with using a Fat for BC when we have things like retrotink.

kimbo99

Feb 21, 2021
Damn, mine got YLOD and I'm too lazy to fix it at this point. I had the 80GB back compat model that came with Motorstorm. I miss that console so much.

Zombegoast

Oct 30, 2017
I have the Super Slim and OG fat. The OG Fat's fan is extremely loud has shut off randomly with 3 beeps. I don't know if it's the HDD or the thermal paste because I can't open up the system because the screws are stripped.

TheMadTitan

Oct 27, 2017

Don't sleep on it.
I doubt it's too difficult given RPCS3 exists and they have infinitely more resources than that team does, they just don't care enough to bother at this point.

JuicyPlayer

Feb 8, 2018
Cells not difficult to emulate, they were able to get it running on PC quicker then it took Saturn emulation.

aceldama

Jun 8, 2019
The Sega Saturn sold less than 10m units lifetime. The Neo Geo sold less than 1m units. The PS3 sold 87m units.

Even accounting for the high failure rate of early PS3s I don't think the unit will become scarce enough to escalate in price. The Sony console which will be (/already is) by far most expensive to collect is the Vita. It's the first collectable 'retro' console where digital distribution has made physical games relatively scare and expensive compared to the hardware as well, which is interesting.

Deleted member 30544

User Requested Account Closure
Banned
Nov 3, 2017
I will keep my slim and all those games just in case xD.

I have one 60gb Fat, full PS2 retro with YLOD, those are easy to repair? Thinking about it.

Jebusman

Oct 27, 2017
Halifax, NS
I mean, it's going to happen someday to all consoles, but I don't think it's going to be any time soon.

Also I don't get the whole "Saturns are cheap" thing, unless you consider anything under $200 cheap?

A quick search of sold ebay listings put US systems at $100+, JP models are "cheaper" but due to internal power supply can't just be plugged straight into 120V power so it's a bit of a hassle, and PAL models aren't particularly desirable outside of PAL regions for somewhat obvious reasons.

it might not be sky high like a Neo Geo, but it's certainly not pennies.

Oct 27, 2017
The Bluetooth/Wifi chip wears out pretty easily. I've had it happen to one of mine.

You can still play it but you need to manually hook it to the internet and use a usb controller adapter.

Interesting.. first time I've heard about this particular problem.

My OG 80GB Motorstorm bundle model had a weird glitch where the wifi never worked if I was using HDMI. Component and composite worked fine though.

defaltoption

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Austin
can it run RDR close to Xbox Series X level with the right hardware? RDR on PS3 looks like ass in comparison.
No but luckily we have Xbox covering us for games like that, so it really only needs to play games like Ratchet and Clank or Heavenly Sword.

With Series S being $300 and Xbox one s/x out there pretty much nobody should be buying any multiplat games on on a PS3 just exclusives.

PlayBee

One Winged Slayer
Nov 8, 2017
My 80GB PS3 fat over there like
dd0.png