• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

dalq

Feb 13, 2018
I work as a graphics designer in a marketing agency in my town.
It feels like every single day is a torturous journey on how to waste away my life doing meaningless bullshit that just makes the world a worst place.
I have a degree in journalism and a graduate course in Graphics Design. I'm a damn fine editorial designer. I get along with all my coworkers (including the asshole ones).

But I spend my day having to solve shit that absolutely wouldn't be a problem if people just stopped to think for a second instead of just beelining to me to hand me a shovel and point to the pile of crap they just threw on the ground and saying "Hey, something came up that you need to do!!!"

Having to deal with clients who have no clue whatsoever about design, but still want to set stupid requirements, a boss that thinks you are a braindead moron and just back up the client asnine requests. Over and over and over again until you just give up and use the stupid moss green color on a package of frozen meat because that is the client's favorite color. And when that shit doesn't sell because it's a package of meat in the color or rotten food they tear a new one on who? On me.

Having to work with bosses that treat you like a monkey who is just there to press buttons and barely talk with you outside of demanding stuff and belittling what you do. Having to do shit that should have taken a week of work in an hour. Having everyone, from the management to the fucking twitter girl telling me how to do my job, but don't I dare rewrite a sentence that reads like a toddler wrote it, because the copywriter has been here for forever and he knows what he is doing. But him messing with my work is fine. "Oh, I don't think we should use that color, you can't read the text on this super important facebook card". Shut the fuck up Alex, you are colorblind, you can't even see the colors I used.

All this shit, every single day, for the last 3 years. All for a shit pay (that, thanks to corona,just got cut by 70% the same week the owner bought 60k on iMacs and a 3k watch) and the knowledge that I spend 8 hours of my life every day doing ugly stuff that no one will care about and has no chance of helping me build a portfolio so I can get the fuck out of here.

Thansk for coming to my TED Talk, I just needed to vent.

Fat4all

Woke up, got a money tag, swears a lot
Oct 25, 2017
here
im a graphic designer working in advertising

every day is a slide towards recognizing humans as nothing more than money sponges to be squeezed

samoscratch

Nov 25, 2017
I feel you OP, been doing it for 13 years, that's why I'm switching careers I can't take it anymore.

Toma

Scratching that Itch.io http://bit.ly/ItchERA
Oct 25, 2017
Working in marketing has been one of the most interesting jobs so far that I absolutely love, but I never ever would work in an agency. I am in charge of our marketing efforts and graphics ourselves, so that helps a lot in that regard.

Mendrox

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Use your free time to make a great portfolio and also to enjoy designing again.

Options:

Stay at your current company and keep working like a robot, feel useless because everyone ignores your advice/comments and feel meaningless
Look for another company which is known to encourage you, improve you etc.
Work for yourself, find a niche or do some awesome work and be your own boss

It's frustrating and it's not only in your area of work. Ask me about IT business and I could kill people. Just starting this year we changed our billing system for inhouse companies and some costs have been automatically added to everyone and since then I am working through correcting everything. I told everyone and I got ignored with my way more simple way to change those things. But currently Corona makes life difficult so I can't just leave right now, but I ain't giving a shit anymore at all and surprisingly it seems like I am doing way more (which I am not).

DrEvil

Developer
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Canada
I too worked in advertising in a past life, and it is indeed soul crushing.

When I left that job, a great weight was lifted off my shoulders.

I have one word of advice for you: Stop Caring.

You can care about the quality of the work you put out for your own benefit, but try to separate work from life, just completely leave it at the door. If you're able to recognize that the work you do at this job won't win you awards or go in a portfolio, its easier to reduce the mental stress it takes on you.

Clients are always idiots, and your bosses are beholden to them because they pay the bills, just find ways to make each project a little bit creative and use each one as an opportunity to try something new - for yourself.

entremet

You wouldn't toast a NES cartridge
Oct 26, 2017
Make a plan to get out. It's easier to change careers these days thanks to the internet. Otherwise, life will pass you by.

Oct 27, 2017
Why do you care so much?

If you are paid by the hour, instead of per project, let them come up with all the stupid things they want to do.

When I do designs, the first one is definitely high effort. The first revision is also something I put the work in, but no longer adding any extra work. And as the requests and corrections pile up, the effort goes down. As long as I pitched one good design, job is done, I am happy. Sometimes you cannot come up with a good solution, regardless of the situation, but what can do...

Sometimes, I offer two different designs: one made exactly as the client/manager requested, one as I see fit. If they still keep their braindead colors and laughable translations, one does not care :) Some clients are reasonable and do not act like they are design prodigies, so it is nice when they ditch their "vision".

The Climaxan

Oct 27, 2017
NC-USA
Copywriter here. Can confirm our industry is trash. That said, I do love the place I work. The people are fantastic. The bullshit we have to deal with on a day to day basis? Not so much.

BWoog

Oct 27, 2017
I worked in Marketing for a long time in the legal field and it suuuuuuuccckkkeeddd. The pay was amazing, but I did it for twelve years and when I got the opportunity to do something different, I leapt at the chance. The pay was so good because working with attorneys is a nightmare.

It was a constant uphill battle of trying to convince the people I was working with to give a shit, to implement plans that would help the business.

Working in "Marketing", for me, meant I did EVERYTHING. I developed databases using Access, negotiated alternative fee structures, put together proposals for Fortune 500 Companies, and cleaned up conference rooms after meetings. At the end of the day, I may have to go back to it if my current job doesn't work out but man I wouldn't be happy, even with the pay.

I think the most insane story of how psychotic attorneys could be was that I had a boss who forgot to get business cards for a trip to Japan, wanted me to get them within a day, then drop them off at his house and if I "woke up his wife, I was fired."

Bjones

Oct 30, 2017
yup, its all BS. and 99% isnt even as thoughtful or scientifc as someone might think. It comes down to some clown just looking up what is trending on social media then adding their own opinion of what sells.

Kotto

CEO of Traphouse Networks
Nov 3, 2017
Reading these stories is depressing to hear when I'm working on a minor on marketing 😥

Cheapstare

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I have a similar background (journalism degree) and I work in-house as a content marketer for a corporate company.

If it's any consolation, not working for an agency also sucks the life out of you. At least your meaningless bullshit is more varied.

P-MAC

Nov 15, 2017
This reads like the problem is with the company you're working in, not the entire field.

firstly I agree with this, the vast majority of marketing jobs are not like this, or at least bosses aren't.

I certainly know where you're coming from though and I've had my fair share of clients who say "this Isn't on brand for us, rewrite it like this:" followed by a completely illegible pile of shit

secondly, OP, what sort of marketing are you in? I manage an Amazon marketing agency but we lost a lot of clients during covid. I'm still running it and picking things up again but I'm also setting up my own agency in my spare time so I can move towards controlling things more and not just working hard all day for someone else's profit. It would be for Amazon in the first instance but working towards content marketing/SEO stuff too

Drop me a PM if you like, maybe we can help each other

Van Bur3n

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
A bad client can easily make you dispassionate about your line of work. You can try your hardest to push for what you know is the right direction for something, but for some clients, it does seem futile.

Your place of work is likely a lost cause. Moving on would be, ideally, the best option, but these days it is a risky thing to do. Best thing you can do for yourself in this situation is design yourself. Come up with your own projects in your free time to work on and put in your portfolio.

Deleted member 46493

User requested account closure
Banned
Aug 7, 2018
A lot office jobs are BS and meaningless. Just take the money and go home (or in your case, try to get out of there when possible). Most of the population has never had "meaningful" jobs. Before this we'd work in factories or shuffling papers related to factory work, and before that we'd farm enough to keep our families alive (meaningful, but in a bad way) while some lord takes most of our crops.

The Albatross

Oct 25, 2017
Sounds like pretty bad management. If you live in the Boston area I might have a couple leads for visual design / interface design in software for good companies that, of course, all have their own challenges but aren't as bad as you describe there. DM me if so.

OP
OP
dalq

dalq

Feb 13, 2018
U, re always welcome, bro.

Im the writer and revisor in a ad agency in Brazil, and nothing, absolutely nothing is different either :l
Oh, a hug for u, bro <3
Yeah, I'm in Brasil too, that probably explains the similarities lol

Maybe open your own agency? I feel you I'm glad I got out of the ad industry
I have plans to set up my small studio, focused on doing book work, but that wont happen soon thanks to the pandemic, and it probably won't happen if I stay in this city.

This reads like the problem is with the company you're working in, not the entire field.
I'd say is half and half. The company absolutely has huge problems, but when every single client pulls the same shit you start to wonder hahah

Use your free time to make a great portfolio and also to enjoy designing again.
Yeah, I try. I like working with translations, and I'm currently translating a Wired article and will turn it into a book layout for my portfolio.
But most of the day this job sucks so much from my energy that I just collapse in bed at 7pm.

OP
OP
dalq

dalq

Feb 13, 2018
I saw some people offering help, thanks for those offers guy, but I'm not based on the US. Will keep you in mind if anything changes tho :)

TheRightDeal

Oct 27, 2017
I worked in marketing at a pretty large company with uhhhh, a passionate fanbase. What grinded my gears was seeing some carefully crafted marketing thing be completely blown up on a whim by some executive and be replaced with something terrible that we knew everyone was going to hate. They did hate it, and always complained about marketing being full of idiots with too much power and no idea what to do with it. My sympathy to anyone writing copy or doing design they know is awful to keep customers/bosses happy.

makonero

Oct 27, 2017
Try to find a better workplace. Universities have marketing departments that are much more chill. I definitely don't think every place is as you have described.

Viewt

Oct 25, 2017
Chicago, IL
I also work at an agency and yes, most days are not great. Honestly, when a day is relatively uneventful , I call it a win. My team is on a wild chase to hit an August deadline and the next couple months are gonna suck.

Oct 30, 2017
Your Imagination
Having spent years both client and agency-side, it sounds like an issue with the way your agency is taking on their workloads. For example, the agency I'm liaising with at the moment doesn't build creative from scratch for any of the clients, but will simply work with assets provided - we get given shit assets, we tell them and manage their expectations with what they should hope to achieve.

I wouldn't suggest working freelance in the current market, but if you're looking for a change of pace I'd suggest another agency. If you were UK-based, which it doesn't seem like you are, I'd put you in touch with some people.

RoadDogg

Oct 27, 2017
Advertising isn't anywhere near all that Marketing includes. I have worked in Marketing for 15 years and never in advertising. I have always enjoyed my job and would recommend it to anyone. It is easily the most enjoyable group to work in at any company I have been in. The only pain points are bad leadership who push personal preference over facts and legal teams who refuse to accept reality. Anyone interested in Marketing should look towards the management side (especially product management) and avoid the more creative/design focused side. You are simply a resource for someone else's vision in those roles.

Elfgore

Mar 2, 2020
As someone going to school for marketing....
dd0.jpg

I'm hoping not every workplace is like yours. Or I'm fucked.

MegaRockEXE

One Winged Slayer
Oct 29, 2017
Sounds like you're in the wrong niche? I'm in marketing as a graphic designer and I love it. But it's in-house, so maybe that's why.

EntelechyFuff

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Nov 19, 2019

Seems relevant, both to your job and to every job where the company hired an expert when they really needed a magician.

mere_immortal

Oct 25, 2017
Nothing like teams coming to you and saying they need a thing for tomorrow when a project is launching that has been in the works for months. It's always the last thing to be thought of but the first to catch the blame.

Blader

Oct 27, 2017
I work in PR and the thing that gets me most about this job isn't just how so many clients are utterly dumb, but, why don't they realize how dumb we think they are? If I were contracting an agency for some work I would have to automatically assume they'd be constantly talking shit about me.

I sometimes think about how this work is utterly meaningless in the grand scheme of things and, 99% of the time, contributes nothing of value to society. Which is sometimes very discouraging and prompts me to think about job hopping (something I was starting to look at this year before covid hit). But it's sometimes also a little reassuring, like this shit is life or death stakes, it's not worth stressing out about and killing myself with anxiety over. I feel bad for my coworkers who, for one reason or another, can't help themselves from working long hours. I'll never be convinced that, in the vast majority of cases, this is a job that I'll ever *need* to keep working on past 5:30 or before 8:30. Which is nice -- I don't work late, I don't work weekends, and I never feel the work needs me to do so.

SasaBassa

Oct 25, 2017
The chirping idiots are always idiots, and it sucks when they're your bosses, having been in agency-adjacent situations. Honestly, best thing to do is care less, try to find another and better paying job, and have your real passionate output on the side -- hopefully leading to rewarding freelance or better portfolio/job options, or both!

Buddy of mine did it for 8 years then hopped into law. Think it was the right move for him.

Elfgore

Mar 2, 2020
Anyone interested in Marketing should look towards the management side (especially product management) and avoid the more creative/design focused side. You are simply a resource for someone else's vision in those roles.
Comforts me a bit to hear this, especially since this is the side I'd prefer going into.
Im a marketing director at a company I really like, advertising services I believe are actually good and helpful. I enjoy it a lot
Thanks for the reassurance! You hiring?

BRsomebody

Oct 28, 2017
Doylestown, PA
I feel this. My undergrad was Journalism and Digital Media Production and my grad was Communications with a focus in business marketing, and through that program I worked with a lot of meaningful non profits and startups.

After graduating though I haven't been able to find anything around me that is that same sort of work. It's always like marketing for golf courses and shit. I can certainly do a lot with design, marketing and social media for a company but making millennials want to golf during covid is definitely, probably, not one of them. I have a few remote gigs but each one doesn't understand the concept of work hours, needs everything done yesterday, and don't know how to communicate exactly what it is they want.

Oct 27, 2017
I've been in the advertising world for the past decade or so and I'm starting to get burnt out--the long hours, ignorant clients and general nihilism of "branding" are starting to bear down on me.

For those in this thread who got out, where'd you go? I've been looking into university/healthcare marketing, but I'm curious to see what other pivots I could make.

AlexBasch

Oct 27, 2017
I stopped working at a newspaper and been looking to do the jump to this field, since I did some of the stuff for the marketing department from time to time. I'd set for another "you want a shitty job and will shoot down any suggestions I have? cool, I still get paid" routine.

Deleted member 41502

User requested account closure
Banned
Mar 28, 2018

every day is a slide towards recognizing humans as nothing more than money sponges to be squeezed
Lol. I write code and feel like that a lot. Everything I've ever been taught about good UX or design does jack shit to move the sales needle. Put up a huge banner that says, "Hurry and buy now!" and we make a million dollars.

____

Oct 27, 2017
Miami, FL
Sounds identical to my 5-6 years experience in Marketing.

I was the Traffic Mgr, though, and not the creative. Ya'll get abused.

Mar 3, 2019
They key to "somewhat" better results in marketing on the visual side is to go freelance or start your own company. Then you have some control over the final product/design. You'll still have to deal with shitty clients, but you can remove the boss out of the way so you can use facts and relevant research to show exactly why green is a bad color for meat

Last edited:

Mórríoghain

Nov 2, 2017
Let me one up you my friend: I am a copywriter and I am specialized in influencer marketing.

But jokes aside it is not bad. I am currently unemployed but I love the high intensity / high fun work places I have been a part of. Also having the chance to work with different brands is a great thing and it keeps things interesting.

John Rabbit

Oct 25, 2017
Maybe try looking for an in-house Marketing team to work for? I'm an in-house Art Director who works under someone who used to work in 'agency world' and she often regales me with horror stories of that life. It sounds like a nightmare, I feel for you OP.

Porco Rosso

Oct 25, 2017
Canada
I worked as an account manager at a marketing agency for a while. You pretty much hit the nail on the head. I'd say it made me more cynical than my time in retail. However, it's really more of an agency thing, not marketing.

Maybe try looking for an in-house Marketing team to work for? I'm an in-house Art Director who works under someone who used to work in 'agency world' and she often regales me with horror stories of that life. It sounds like a nightmare, I feel for you OP.

100000% agreed. I work in-house currently, and before I was in agency I had a different in-house role. Both were far better. Agency is great experience but it is not meant to have longevity. Torture yourself for a little bit, get the experience, and get out.

Bradford

terminus est
Aug 12, 2018
I actually really liked working in marketing, because I found it to be a constant prediction game where you have to feel out people and markets and figure out how they are thinking at any given moment. That being said, I didn't work in creative, which is probably miserable.

actually you are a dog