• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Deleted member 19293

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Hey all. I'm working from home, and I've been informed that my headset's microphone is terrible. What are you all using for conference calls, video, etc? I'm looking at USB condenser microphones and it's become evident that I have no idea what I'm doing.

Fat4all

Woke up, got a money tag, swears a lot
Oct 25, 2017
here
hqdefault.jpg

Djalminha

Alt-Account
Banned
Sep 22, 2020
Definitely. That's what is prompting upgrading .
Well I meant that maybe using PC mic plus headset for audio could be a viable solution, it works very well for me when I don't feel like wearing headphones for my meetings.

If you're set on buying, my Bose Quietcomfort 2 or whatever they are called are amazing in all departments including mic.

KayonXaikyre

Oct 27, 2017
Audio-Technica ATH-M50x Headphones w/ Modmic USB. I got into the ModMics specifically because most headset mics are really bad lol. I have ModMic Uni but I use a Behringer mixer for sidetone and other things. The ModMic USB you just plug in to a usb port and it works and the attachment to the headphones is pretty simple and painless. The chord can be a bit annoying though. For a standalone mic, I've heard good things about the Blue Yeti mic with a shock mount.

Gwarm

Nov 13, 2017
How about a decent headset? I'm using my gaming headset from 10 years ago and could definitely use an upgrade.

super-famicom

Avenger
Oct 26, 2017
I don't work from home but I bought this back in May. My wife uses it for video projects.

Q2U | Samson

With both USB and XLR connectivity, the Q2U easily connects to any device and allows you to get started recording quickly.

Septimus Prime

EA
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
I have a Steelseries Arctis 7 headset, and it works well. I would not recommend Bose if you have anyone else living with you, as its mic picks up everything (my wife has a QC25, and she had to switch to just use her Airpods because all her co-workers could hear me). The Arctis 7 mic is much better at isolating just your voice.

GoldenEye 007

Roll Tide, Y'all!
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Texas
Yeah I just use the mic on my Surface then use PC speakers for audio output. Works well and nobody has mentioned the Surface mic being bad at all.

OP
OP

Deleted member 19293

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I have a shitty Dell notebook from work. You don't wanna use the built in mic or speaker. My iPad fucking smoke it in both categories.

Cruxist

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
An old Xbox one headset. I have a nicer mic, but using the Xbox one I am still 90% ahead of any coworkers.

I Don't Like

Dec 11, 2017
Have a Jabra 510 little speaker but honestly I've used my onboard laptop mic (new XPS 15) and it's perfectly serviceable.

Oct 25, 2017
Work issued me a Jabra puck when I went remote 6+ years ago. Not sure the exact model, but the Jabra Speak 410 looks like the current version. Any issues I've had with it were due to my bandwidth, not the puck.

dejay

Nov 5, 2017
Laptop mic. Occasionally people will complain of random feedback, so then I'll switch to the wired buds that came with my phone.

texhnolyze

Oct 25, 2017
Indonesia
I use my laptop's mic, Asus Vivobook.

Sometimes people can hear my kid's scream/cry from the other room, but whatever. I'm too cheap to buy a decent mic.

Deleted member 3010

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I have the good ole PS Gold headset, now the faux-leather is all peeling off, but hey they still work!

Owlet

Owl Enthusiast
Verified
May 30, 2018
London, UK
If you want some good sound quality for general meetings and what not look into USB mics like Blue Yeti and Snowball.

I use a full setup with a pre amp and a Rhode NT2A cause I do music/streaming.

squeakywheel

Oct 29, 2017
Original playstation silver headset. Has a boom mic so it's quite nice for audio (as I've been told).

Kwigo

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
HyperX Could II

From all my coworkers I'm definitely on the better audio quality side.

FinFunnels

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Seattle
I use an Arctis 7. Very comfortable wireless headset that lasts all day on a single charge. It does pick up some background noise, but I can eliminate that using RTX Voice.

Gr8one

Oct 25, 2017
I'm using the mic on my Hyper X Cloud headset and haven't had any complaints.

I also am using Nvidia RTX Voice software and it seems to block out my dog when he decides he wants to play in the middle of a meeting or a call.

mugurumakensei

Elizabeth, I’m coming to join you!
Oct 25, 2017
Eh I don't really care too much about it and use a cheap work issued headset. 9 times out of 10, at least one person will have connection issues and minor issues with mics will be the least of your issues.

Coxy

Oct 28, 2017
I just use my Apple headphones - work fine. Sometimes if my ears are feeling strained after wearing headphones for countless meetings - just switch to the laptop

xyla

Oct 27, 2017
Germany
Bought myself a blue yeti x yesterday as it's on sale in Germany right now. Feels like it's really high quality (at least build quality) and got compliments for how good the voice sounded in comparison to the old one.

Since I don't like to use headphones when I don't play games that are really immersive, it's still a bit finicky to find the best setting where I'm audible but where it also doesn't pick up feedback, but that works also a lot better than with the last one.

LinkStrikesBack

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
The one built in to my work laptop.

If they want me to use something better, they can go buy me one.

Mórríoghain

Nov 2, 2017
I am not a STREAMER or anything but I use HyperX Quadcast. Also Marshall Mode IE for on the go stuff. I thought about buying a stand but decided not to because 1: It looks ridiculous and 2: Nvidia Broadcast does great to remove any background noise so I don't have to shove the mic in my mouth.

hyperx-quadcast-oyuncu-mikrofonu-z.jpg

marshall-mode-mikrofonlu-ie-kulakici-kulaklik__1009949438496718.jpg

SxP

Oct 27, 2017
Just use my Galaxy Buds. The mic in the Macbook is serviceable, but definitely a lot worse.