• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

How long does it take you to get to work?

• <10 min

Votes: 88 41.5%
  • 15-20 min

Votes: 48 22.6%
  • 30 min

Votes: 30 14.2%
  • 35-45 min

Votes: 22 10.4%
  • 1 hour

Votes: 11 5.2%
  • >1 hour

Votes: 13 6.1%

• Total voters

Septy

Prophet of Truth
Nov 29, 2017
United States
I write this as I'm sitting in traffic. I've been driving for about an hour and 10 minutes and I'm still not at work. And I'm starting to wonder if it's work the commute for a $20/hr Pat time job.

Koukalaka

Oct 28, 2017
Scotland
It was just under an hour either way (mostly because I took a route that minimised parking costs and maximised step count) - now it's about 5 seconds to walk into my little office space.

Finale Fireworker

Love each other or die trying.
Oct 25, 2017
United States
When I was 22-23, I was commuting north 45 minutes to the city for $9.75/hr. However I enjoyed my job and it was "worth it" to make the drive up there despite the weak wage. At the same time, I had another job in the opposite direction that paid way way better at $17/hr. This job was only 20 minutes south from my house. But I often worked shifts back to back at both jobs and they were more than an hour apart. So often I was driving 60+ minutes from one job to another, but it was mostly straight highway the whole time.

Now my commute is 35 minutes if I don't make any stops. This has been my commute for 5+ years so I'm used to it. But I always stop at a drive-thru or at a takeout place on the way down or the way back or both so I think of the commute as "an hour" - I just often get there in less.

I don't mind the commute I have now. It takes longer than it needs to but that's something I control. It's also smooth sailing the entire time and traffic is rarely a factor. I don't mind driving for an hour, but I definitely mind sitting an hour in traffic.

julia crawford

Took the red AND the blue pills
Oct 27, 2017
If I'm going to the office, it's about ~17 minutes. Before moving closer to work, it was 1h and ~10 minutes each way, so I spend more than two hours commuting which was pretty uncomfortable.

BasilZero

Oct 25, 2017
Omni
40-50 min a normal traffic

30-35 min in light traffic

20-25 min in pandemic lock down traffic

From my old home it was 8 miles away but now its 20 miles away.

Inki

Oct 30, 2017
No commute, work from home. When I was in the office it was approx 15-20 mins.

Zarathustra

Oct 27, 2017
Used to be 1 hour to go and 1 hour to come back. Have been WFH since May 2020 and I'm enjoying it, even though there's moments when I am missing the travel.

Deleted member 9241

Oct 26, 2017
This is one of many reasons why I would never live in a major city. Commute times are a 100% deal breaker. Like, I can't even imagine.

When I used to go into the office I had 15 minutes of idyllic driving on country backroads. It was peaceful, calming, and quite beautiful during each changing season. I especially loved it after a snowstorm hit because I would be the only one out on the roads with snow up to the fenders on my 4WD. Bliss!

Dec 6, 2017
US
Used to be on the subway and about 40 minutes which was fine because I'd just read or take a nap or whatever. Moved to the suburbs a couple years ago and it's a 30 minute drive now which bothers me way more. Do not like it.

HeySeuss

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Ohio
1 hr 5 minutes. I live in the country and work in a large city. I actually enjoy the drive because I can think and decompress.

Tigerfog

Oct 28, 2017
Montreal
It's 30 mins, walking and taking the subway.
That is, if the subway doesn't have any interruptions. Montreal's metro seems to have a lot of them lately.
Thankfully, I can work from home 95% of the time.

BassForever

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
CT
20ish minutes if I go to the office, which I've done once in the past 6 months and am in no rush to return to.

Kyuuji

The Favonius Fox
Nov 8, 2017
When I have to go into the office it's around 2.5-3hrs each way. Which pre-pandemic was 2-3 times a week. Now it's 0, and you can appreciate why I'm not in much rush to go back to office colocation pushes.

linkboy

Oct 26, 2017
Reno
I honestly could ride my bike to work everyday, but I don't for the following reasons

A) It's winter
B) It's in another state.

Driving to work takes me about 5 minutes.

Lucini

Oct 27, 2017
Used to be a 55 minute drive from my home town, then I moved and it was a 35 minute in town commute.

Now I WFH and I take 3 steps down a hallway.

Catcollector

Aug 19, 2019
Used to be 1.5 hours each way, so spent 3 hours of my life on a train everyday I had to come into the office. We're now fully remote because of Covid and we're planning to stay remote. My only commute now would be taking my laptop to a local coffee shop to work when I don't want to be distracted at home. Covid convincing employers that working from home is a viable option has saved me years of time.

OrangeNova

Oct 30, 2017
Canada
15 minute bus, 20 minute walk, 5 minute drive.

I walk in the summer, bus in the winter, and when I get my car I'll probably drive on days I have stuff to do after work.

impingu1984

Oct 31, 2017
UK
Depends..... I WFH for most of the week.... When I choose to go to the office it's either under 30 mins for one or 1 hour depending on which office I choose...

toy_brain

Nov 1, 2017
10 minute walk to the bus stop, just under an hour on the bus, then another 5-10 minute walk to the office.
It's fine really. It gives me some exercise, and time to get into 'work mode' from when I get up. The only thing I have to remember to do is load up on podcasts or YouTube videos to entertain me during the bus ride.

StrangeADT

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
Pre-COVID: 45 minutes one way. Now: WFH - and staying that way permanently whether my current company likes it or not. I'll leave for it. Saving 1.5 hours a day is worth a fucking lot for me.

mhayes86

Oct 27, 2017
Maryland
Been working from home for the past 9 months. Perhaps one of the biggest QoL improvements I've experienced. I really hope to be able to continue this because I absolutely love being able to have more time with my family, myself, and especially watching my soon to be 7 month old daughter progress.

Prior to that, it was about 45 minutes to a little over an hour depending on traffic each way.

John Caboose

Oct 26, 2017
Sweden
Takes a minute to walk across the street. Very thankful that I managed to achieve such a great situation. I walk my dog during lunchtime and wouldn't want to work any further than 10 minutes away, unless I could work from home half-days every day.

For most of my life I've had 5-15 minutes by bike or on foot. For a few years I had about 30 mins by bus. And for one school year I had 90 minutes by train. It sucked but was fine knowing I only had to do it for a year.

orlock

Oct 28, 2017
i leave my apartment and i could see the building i work at from my sidewalk (its a bi building). maybe a 7 or 8 minute walk. literally takes longer some days to get from the employee doors to the director's office and back to my office than it does to get to work in the first place.

legitimately loathing an eventual move to a different neighborhood.

worst i had was living in Northfield, Vermont and working in the Mad River Valley (Warren). in the fall/winter/mud season when the mountain road was closed, it could be an hour and change one way. especially sucked when my partner (who doesnt drive) worked in Warren and i worked in Bethel. hour drive to drop them off, hour drive home, half hour to work,vhalf hour back, hour drive to pick up my partner, hour drive home. on top of a twelve hour shift.

you may see why i dont want a job i have to drive to anymore.

Last edited:

DarkChronic

Oct 27, 2017
Pre pandemic - 30-45 minutes, depending how the trains were running

Pandemic - 0 minutes, still working from home

eXistor

Oct 27, 2017
Fairly short thankfully. A 20-minute drive through the country and a 10-minute walk to work.