• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

RoninChaos

Oct 26, 2017
So like the title says, my job just sent me a MacBook Pro to replace my misbehaving PC. I have never used a Mac but have used iPads and iPhones for years. This thing is gorgeous but I am fucking LOST. Any tips on how to make the transition from PC to Mac a more seamless one? Anything I should watch out for? Are there ways to customize the OS so it's closer to Windows? Any apps you guys find useful for productivity would be great too. I need to find a replacement for one note.

*edit* Title should have said "transitioning". Damnit.

Guppeth

Oct 25, 2017
Sheffield, UK
Alt-tab is now command-tab
Swipe up with 3 fingers to show all windows
Put the dock on the left or right and autohide it
Instead of the dock, launch apps with Spotlight (command-space and type the first couple of letters of the app)

Deleted member 69573

User requested account closure
Banned
May 17, 2020
Melbourne, Australia
- cmd+h to hide windows quickly
- cmd+spacebar to open spotlight (fairly sure thats the default)
- configure spotlight to ignore files you don't care about. it's really shit without doing that
- activity monitor is the mac equivalent of windows task manager

Enjoy the nice experience :) Macbooks are so good to work with. I'm a developer and I have no 3rd party apps out of what I need to code with, so can't suggest any for you there. I used to use cold turkey to limit my internet browsing though, might be useful if this is a work computer.

Last edited:
OP
OP
RoninChaos

RoninChaos

Oct 26, 2017
Thanks for the responses. How do I configure spotlight to ignore shit I don't care about?

There's no way to reverse the minimize, maximize and close buttons is there?

matcha pocky

Oct 27, 2017
Homebrew if you want a great package manager - cask is useful even if you don't need any dev tools. For example, if you want to install spotify, all you need is a simple "brew cask install spotify", instead of manually downloading the .dmg file.

Alfred for a much more customizable and useful spotlight

Oct 28, 2017
Not comprehensive but some solid basics:

1) As others have said, the whole MS office suite is on Mac including OneNote. I also use Edge across my Mac/iPhone/PC to have consistent bookmarks/history.

2) The magnifying glass at the top right hand side of the screen is the Mac equivalent of typing into the Start Menu. You can find programs and files with it, without having to navigate using the file browser

3) If you're already using an iPhone (and are logging into this laptop with your personal Apple ID) make sure to set up iMessage. It will forward all of your texts to your laptop and viceversa. Works like a dream.

4) In the "Finder" (File Explorer), the SpaceBar is your friend. Highlight a file and hit the spacebar, and it will let you preview images, video files and documents without launching any apps. It's a good way to quickly browse files, and I wish Windows would steal it.

Poke around and experiment, it's not too scary! Have fun!

lasthope106

Oct 25, 2017
Iowa USA
Unfortunately is going to take a while. I made that transition 5-6 years ago and I still feel out of my element on Mac OSX. I'm a windows power user, and there are a lot of applications that have no mac equivalent. I would recommend avoiding trying to re-learn programs that are in the same category as programs you already know. For example, using numbers instead of excel. If you need office, get office.

Safari is a lot more energy efficient that Chrome if you are trying to conserve battery life. Since it's a work computer I would discourage you from using you personal icloud and apple account on it. Your work has no business knowing any personal information about you.

Remember that a lot of things that on Windows that require the control key use the command key on Mac. Command + C to copy, Command + T to open a tab on a browser, etc.

Familiarize yourself with the key symbols and what they mean.

support.apple.com

Mac keyboard shortcuts

By pressing certain key combinations, you can do things that normally need a mouse, trackpad, or other input device.

And things will just take time. You will feel lost for a while. Finder is a lot more cumbersome to use than file explorer. And there is no nice folder structure for things.

Good luck!

Oct 27, 2017
Remember that a lot of things that on Windows that require the control key use the command key on Mac. Command + C to copy, Command + T to open a tab on a browser, etc.

Familiarize yourself with the key symbols and what they mean.
I'm trying to transition the other way around, from Mac to PC, and this is the part that's driving me insane.

CTRL is just on the wrong side and not intuitive and nothing works the same way.

I've become so used to Mac shortcuts that using a PC makes me feel like a toddler. So clumsy, keep making mistakes, fingers just don't feel right.

Landy828

Oct 26, 2017
Clemson, SC
That would be really annoying if you have no experience with the platform and you have to continue working.

Send it back and tell them you want the same setup. 😆

Or follow the tips above, haha

Spoit

Oct 28, 2017
My work forced the transition on me a year ago and not a week goes by that Im not cursing the boneheaded UX decisions that Apple committed to. It's like they think the only possible use case is just using it as a laptop, with no additional screens or external HID devices

Burai

Oct 27, 2017
The first thing I teach anyone making the switch. You will lose files if you do not heed this warning.

FOLDERS DO NOT MERGE BY DEFAULT IN THE FINDER!!!

If you try to copy or move a folder on top of one with the same name, the default behaviour is to replace the folder and it's contents, not merge them. If you want to merge them you need to hold down Option whilst you drag and drop. Annoyingly this means you cannot use keyboard shortcuts to move folders you want to merge.

www.howtogeek.com

How to Merge Folders on Mac OS X Without Losing All Your Files (Seriously)

The default folder-merge behavior in Mac OS X is to erase the existing folder, deleting all its files rather than offering to merge them intelligently. Windows and Linux file managers have offered folder-merging for decades, but Macs still don’t.

Spoit

Oct 28, 2017
The first thing I teach anyone making the switch. You will lose files if you do not heed this warning.

FOLDERS DO NOT MERGE BY DEFAULT IN THE FINDER!!!

If you try to copy or move a folder on top of one with the same name, the default behaviour is to replace the folder and it's contents, not merge them. If you want to merge them you need to hold down Option whilst you drag and drop. Annoyingly this means you cannot use keyboard shortcuts to move folders you want to merge.

www.howtogeek.com

How to Merge Folders on Mac OS X Without Losing All Your Files (Seriously)

The default folder-merge behavior in Mac OS X is to erase the existing folder, deleting all its files rather than offering to merge them intelligently. Windows and Linux file managers have offered folder-merging for decades, but Macs still don’t.
Wtf. Does it at least prompt you?

Deleted member 2328

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
If you have enough permissions install bootcamp.
I still don't understand why companies unilaterally do this. I doubt they are saving much on costs.

Burai

Oct 27, 2017
Wtf. Does it at least prompt you?

It asks you if you want to either Replace or Stop. The Merge button only appears if you drag and drop whilst holding Option.

It seems mad when you're coming from Windows or Linux, but this has been the default behaviour in Finder since Mac OS 2.1 first introduced folders back in 1985.

MrKlaw

Oct 25, 2017
the squiggly key works for keyboard shortcuts like CTRL would on windows (my wife is borrowing my old MBA coming from a windows laptop and that confused her a lot)
scrolling on your mouse wheel works the other way around but you'll get used to it fairly quickly
other than that its pretty straightforward

CosmicGP

Oct 28, 2017
Pfft I still have no idea how the file system on my macbook works and I'm confused about how to install programs. (mount file, install, or just run from the mounted file... eh??)

I don't really need to know though; just use web browsers and typing on it. The touchpad and swiping between programs feels so good. It makes me curse out how janky switching between programs is on my main work Windows laptop.

Henrar

Nov 27, 2017
Pfft I still have no idea how the file system on my macbook works and I'm confused about how to install programs. (mount file, install, or just run from the mounted file... eh??)
If you want to "install" an app on macOS and the disk image doesn't have an installer, just move an app from the mounted disk image to the Applications folder. That's it.
Some apps cannot be run from the disk image and some disk images contain installers that copy the app for you automatically when you try to run them.

CosmicGP

Oct 28, 2017
If you want to "install" an app on macOS and the disk image doesn't have an installer, just move an app from the mounted disk image to the Applications folder. That's it.
Some apps cannot be run from the disk image and some disk images contain installers that copy the app for you automatically when you try to run them.

I see. Thx

ZackieChan

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Download a meditation app like Headspace, so you can mentally prepare yourself for the constant annoyances (like having a different hotkey for switching within a program and for switching between programs). Good luck.

OP
OP
RoninChaos

RoninChaos

Oct 26, 2017
I really appreciate all the replies. This was sent to me because I've had 3 bad PCs and the belief is the Mac platform overall is more stable for productivity. Guess we'll see.

bionic77

Oct 25, 2017
OP one big difference is the OS manages windows for you. So you can keep as many windows open as you want, even full screen. You can swipe up or left/right to get to what you want. That is probably the biggest difference other than how you install and delete apps. To install you drag it into the application folder and to delete you drag to the trash can.

If you have an iPhone you can link it to your Mac and receive your texts and/or make calls from the same. Very handy feature.

gozu

Oct 27, 2017
America
The first thing you must do is unlearn all the bad habits you have learned with windows.

For example, in macOS, there is no registry! Shocking, I know.

To uninstall apps, you drag them into the trash bin or press cmd + del.

And finally, instead of using ms paint, you use preview. It's not all that great but it'll do the job. MS paint is better though.

Those are the most important things I can think of. Everything else is basically kinda the same on both OSes. You'll learn the small unimportant details as you go.

exodus

Oct 25, 2017
Learn to use virtual desktops and 4 finger swiping between full screen apps. You're going to miss window snapping.

Add the hard drive root to finder.

NPVinny

Dec 13, 2017
I'm trying to transition the other way around, from Mac to PC, and this is the part that's driving me insane.

CTRL is just on the wrong side and not intuitive and nothing works the same way.

I've become so used to Mac shortcuts that using a PC makes me feel like a toddler. So clumsy, keep making mistakes, fingers just don't feel right.

Ctrl is on...the wrong side? Does your keyboard not have two Ctrl keys? On mine (and I think on a majority of keyboards), one of the two is on the very left bottom which makes it very easy to use your pinky + whatever key you need.

Praxis

Sausage Tycoon
Oct 25, 2017
UK
Get Magnet, it's one of the biggest things I miss when working on my Macbook with only one screen. Why this function hasn't been added natively Is bizarre.

Zok310

Oct 25, 2017
When i went from windows to mac i remember watching a video on yt on how to use the mac.
Think it was literally called how to use mac😂 cant remember. Point it is that it was good enough to help me on my way.

Alaxend0l

Dec 6, 2017
Definitely get Magnet or Bettertouchtool if you haven't for window snapping, and consider getting Hyperdock if you miss not having window previews. Also keep in mind that closing a window in MacOS doesn't close the app universally, you'll need to right click and close the app to free memory.

CrudeDiatribe

Oct 25, 2017
Eastern Canada
This was sent to me because I've had 3 bad PCs and the belief is the Mac platform overall is more stable for productivity. Guess we'll see.

They're just tools to get work done, I doubt you are going to be more productive in the Mac immediately. I'm far more productive on a Mac because there is a lot less friction and irritation for me. I use Mac/Windows/Linux daily.

'command' is the name of the key on either side of the spacebar, also called 'splat', and abbreviated as 'cmd' or ⌘. Many keyboard shortcuts you are familiar with in Windows that used control are the same on the Mac, but with cmd instead of ctrl. Keyboard shortcuts are shown in the menu, ctrl is ^, shift is ⇧, and option is ⌥. Searching for something in the help menu will show you matching menu items and how to find them even if nested.

There are some fundamental idiomatic differences between Mac and Windows that go back 30+ years that will be the biggest friction points for you. From very small ("'home' and 'end' don't work right!") to the menubar being at the top of the screen to cmd-tab not working like alt-tab. At some point you may try to 'cut' some files to move them from point A to B and discover you can't (you copy and then move them instead of pasting them).

Mission Control is way faster than cmd-tab for getting at what you want if you have lots of applications and document/windows open. You can invoke it with keyboard/touchbar, trackpad gestures, and you can bind mouse buttons to it (have used a 5 button mouse for 15+ years for this). See the Mission Control and Trackpad ("more gestures") system preferences to set these. e.g. on the MacBook Air I'm using right now, I swipe down with four fingers to see all the windows of the current application and I just hit tab to cycle through the apps.

Drag and drop is a pervasive UX idiom- you can drag content (a block of text, an image, etc) and files from one app to another, to/from the Finder, etc.

You can export 'print' to PDF from any Print dialog (cmd-p) in any application. Just hit the weird PDF button/menu at the bottom left of the Print dialog.

The built-in PDF viewer/editor, Preview, is very good so I would use it before getting Acrobat.

MS paint is better though.

Depends on what you need to do. I really wish there was a basic pixel art program on the Mac since that fundamental feature of MS Paint is totally absent from what comes on the Mac; for most other image/photo/PDF related tasks Preview is much more powerful.

I am a Bird

Oct 31, 2017
Just a small thing but the top bar of the mac screen changes to be the setting menus of whatever app you are currently in. So if you are in chrome it will have chrome preferences in it, but if you open word it will change to word. But that's where all your settings will be on that top bar.

Mcfrank

Oct 28, 2017
If you have enough permissions install bootcamp.
I still don't understand why companies unilaterally do this. I doubt they are saving much on costs.
All signs have pointed to Apple killing boot camp for the last 2-3 years so any smart IT dept has been moving away from it. Also, boot camp is a pain in the ass to support at the enterprise level. Most work that requires windows can be accomplished on a VM rather than boot camp for way less effort from the IT dept. Also, macs are way more expensive than PCs so if a user is just gonna install windows then the business saves a lot of money by buying them a pc.

Jroc

Banned
Jun 9, 2018
I've been using MacOS for a decade and I still don't like the way they handle window management.

Maximizing a window should maximize it!!!