• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Do you put work shit on your personal phone?

• Yes

Votes: 181 45.4%
  • No

Votes: 218 54.6%

• Total voters

Blue Ninja

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
Belgium
No. I work with young people a lot and used to share my personal Facebook with them, but not anymore either. Work stays at work, at least as much as I can keep it there.

Shadybiz

Oct 27, 2017
Emails and texts, no.

I do work from home a couple days per week. If someone needs to talk to me, I'll sometimes tell them to just call my personal cell; usually just because I'm too lazy to dial into my webex account.

scottbeowulf

Oct 27, 2017
United States
Yes but I chose to do it as a convenience. My work didn't tell me to do it. But I like to be able to access my work email while away just in case I need to. Luckily I never get bothered by anyone when I'm not at work.

BasilZero

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Omni
Yes

My company pays my cell phone bill

I just check work email which is just mainly to see if there's any announcements or if my team members give me an update on if they are missing work or not

There's nothing else on it and I don't make afterhour calls so it's not a issue

Deleted member 17092

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
No. If I'm not at work don't bother me. I'll get back to you. If it's urgent you can call my cell but I ain't looking at no email.

If I were y'all you may want to think about what kind of access your IT folks might have to your personal devices given the shit you're installing on them and the networks you're on as well.

Thac

The Fallen
Nov 1, 2017
No. If work wants me to be available all the time - give me a phone to be available all the time. Not my job to pay for your IT equipment.

Tedmilk

Avenger
Nov 13, 2017
I'm available on the phone but fuck being expected to check my work emails. That's almost as bad as being at work. It's a line I won't cross, not for all the tea in China.

The Albatross

Oct 25, 2017
I used to not, but it's really helpful having my calendar on my phone and the only way to do that is to put Outlook on it. It's also nice being able to set out of office and other things without having to VPN into my email like I would from a computer.

I'm strict about not doing anything work related outside of work hours tho. Fuck that noise. Also all notifications turned off. My work si good about that though, I'm *never* bothered by work outside of work hours / work days.

Violence Jack

Drive-in Mutant
Oct 25, 2017
I have to for my job, but it's email only and I haven't given out my cell phone number to receive texts. Plus, I get an extra $100 stipend to go towards my cell phone bill.

Maximus

Oct 27, 2017
No I refuse. I only will accept a call during work hours when given to a select few people if I'm away from my desk or something. Fuck having email on my phone, that shit is never ending and can wait.

RepairmanJack

Oct 27, 2017
I do, but I completely ignore it unless it's a random emergency type of thing that I just happen to see on notification. It's rarely happened though.

Most annoying thing is I end up having to mute a lot of company wide emails that get a lot of replies. That can be pretty annoying.

Deleted member 1478

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
United Kingdom
I did used to but I found it was causing me to bring too much stress and anger home with me so I deleted all work accounts from my personal devices. If people want my help then they'll only get it during work hours.

Grym

Oct 27, 2017
I could if I wanted to but don't. Why would I unless required? When I'm not working I'm not working.

Deleted member 55966

Banned
Apr 15, 2019
I used to but then I put a custom ROM on my phone and my enterprise noped out of that pretty quickly.

They have my phone number for emergencies. That's it.

Kisaya

Oct 25, 2017
Yes. I don't mind and it makes work so much easier. The trade off is that I get to be flexible with my schedule

Apr 24, 2018
My boss and a couple of colleagues have my number if anything pressing comes up, but I believe I've only gotten texts once or twice for this.

Bradford

terminus est
Aug 12, 2018
I use my personal phone for work, so yes.

That being said I don't have email on my phone since it requires me to lock down my phone in annoying ways. I only have the messaging program we use and my work contacts texting me. That works to filter out the chaff.

TP-DK

Oct 28, 2017
Denmark
I have work emails and Slack on my phone, but notifications for email are turned off. And I never really get messages if Im not working, so it doesnt really matter to me.

Work paid for my phone so I guess I also have to use it for work :p

iFirez

Oct 25, 2017
England
As soon as 5:30pm rolls around I don't look at work stuff again until 9am the next morning. I don't have a work phone or any work accounts on my personal phone. I can't imagine doing work outside of the paid hours of my contract, I know tons of people who do - but that's just not how I work.

lt519

Oct 25, 2017
At my old job I gave out my personal number to a lot of customers to try and provide good service and eventually it got abused. At my new job I got a separate work phone and keep them entirely separate although my bosses have my personal number in case of emergency.

Panther2103

Oct 27, 2017
I use my phone to work when I'm on the road , but I make it a point to not have my outlook on my phone include work emails. I end up manually logging into office on the web browser and do work through that if I have to. Would rather not deal with work related emails popping up after work hours.

Septimus Prime

EA
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Yes. I have Slack and Zoom installed, but for email, I'll still use shitty web Outlook. I just don't want to cede admin rights to my device in order to use Exchange.

NeverWas

Feb 28, 2019
I don't keep any work docs on my phone or anything. Just use it for company emails. We deal with a lot of law enforcement agencies, so the entire company is pretty much on-call 24 hours a day.

PuppetMinion

The Fallen
Nov 1, 2017
Yes, but I only use those parts when I work. I don't check slack at home for example, if I log out for the day, I am logged out. They would have to call me for an emergency or something, has not happened yet, 12 years and counting.

eosos

Banned
Dec 21, 2017
Yeah, kind of a reality of life as you take on higher positions imo. Haven't seen many successful people in my industry (tech) who don't.