• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Do you put work shit on your personal phone?

• Yes

Votes: 181 45.4%
  • No

Votes: 218 54.6%

• Total voters

Vanillalite

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
So working Era do you get work related emails or messages on say teams or slack on your personal phone?

Do you mix work and personal on your personal devices or do you keep shit separate?

MrKlaw

Oct 25, 2017
Yes but I turn off notifications unless necessary

we don't get work phones and it's simply convenient to access things without taking your laptop home every day and digging it out

Gabriel

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah...you kind of have to. Then again, my company pays about half my personal cell phone bill so whatever.

Steak

Oct 27, 2017
i'm lucky in that I can't be reached if I'm not at work. leave for the day and don't have to think about anything work related until tomorrow morning when I get in

this wasn't the case at previous jobs and probably won't be the case at my next

EJS

The Fallen
The Fallen
Oct 31, 2017
Yeah, but very rarely does any call / notification require immediate attention.

Zellia

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
UK
I don't generally take my work home with me, so hell no. If for whatever reason I do need to, I can use a work laptop.

Tangyn

Oct 29, 2017
Used to for years but I compulsively checked it and never left work / relaxed fully. Ended up getting overly stressed out and quitting that job. In my new job I have flat out refused to do this and have been actively working on leaving work to work hours only.

Life is too short man

Deleted member 82

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017

Ditto. I used to check my work e-mail on my home computer during the weekend - for no reason, to boot -, but I eventually said "screw that too". It helps that my country fairly recently passed a law that says you can't ask your employees to check their e-mail at home.

I sometimes check it on Sunday evening anyway just to make sure there are no bad surprises awaiting me, but even in those cases I'm most likely not doing anything about it until Monday morning.

Deleted member 2254

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
As an IT I kinda have to. Lot of mails, occasional calls outside of my shift and I sometimes even have to log in from home to solve some issues. I need to have certain info downloaded on my personal mobile phone for ease of use, inside of the company too because I can check my phone in 5 seconds as opposed to necessarily carrying my laptop around or logging with my profile in to access my personal files on the server. On the other hand I don't quite have enough workload and phone calls with clients/sellers that I require a work phone, so it's a choice and a bit of a necessity as well. I'm not a fan of having the mail, in particular, but I also get the logs for the backups, get notifications for power outages and so on, so even when the company is closed I need to keep an eye one way or another. Luckily enough, in the 30 months or so I've been here I logged in from home or went in on a short notice less than 10 times, plus about that many short phone calls where I managed to guide the other person through voice alone.

In short, I keep some work stuff on my personal phone. Not a huge fan of it, but it's often for my own convenience and seldom I have to use it outside of the workplace, so it's not that bad ultimately. I'm not the kind of person who still regularly has work-related phone calls at home at 10PM, and I certainly don't miss being in that role. More money is always exciting but if I can't have time to enjoy myself why bother? I'm fine like this.

Cokie Bear

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I do but I have notifications disabled. I'll check them in the evening or before work in the mornings just to see if I'm walking into a disaster or something but I never respond to or action anything outside of work.

NottJim

Animation Programmer
Verified
Oct 30, 2017
Yes, email, Slack, Skype, but unless it's an actual crisis* I'm not going to respond until I'm back at work.

*The build / game / office is on actual fire.

Br3wnor

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Yeah but I don't answer them outside of work hours. I'm just in the field a lot so it's easier to have it during the work day. My "company" phone is a flip phone since the government is cheap so it's easiest option.

Ferrs

Avenger
Oct 26, 2017
lol fucking NO. My personal phone is forbidden for work. Everyone here respect that,thankfully. The divide between work and personal life should be key.

Protome

Oct 27, 2017
I have them on there but I don't look at them outside of work hours. Except when I'm waiting for Apple to review an app and just need to hit the "Release" button.

CrazyAndy

Self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Hell no. As soon as I leave the office, absolutely no one from work can even contact me.

Laranja

Oct 31, 2017
London
I'm the same as a few other posters here: I have some apps installed, but notifications are turned off.

It's pretty convenient to be able to access stuff on my devices, but I will not have work invading my personal time.

THErest

Oct 25, 2017
I didn't in the past, but then I took on a second job teaching college classes a couple nights a week, and I'm expected to respond to student emails within 24 hours, and I would never check my email otherwise.

Deleted member 41178

Banned
Mar 18, 2018
Nope, that would be a compliance issue and I'd get fired.

I might check my work phone in the evening/weekend if I'm expecting something or if keeping an eye on something like a new project deployment.

Nov 30, 2017
Yes. The alternative is having two phones, and fuck that. I'm a software engineer and I get notifications about the status of our servers etc and it's my contact number for when I'm outside work, but it's rare anyone needs to use it. I had a Pixel from work for a couple of weeks once but gave it back because carrying two phones is more hassle than it's worth.

Deleted member 4434

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I keep it separate, even got myself a 2nd phone that's used only for work. I work overtime nearly every day, so everyone else is home sooner than I am, so there are never any missed calls or messages when I turn it back on the next morning.

negreenfield

Oct 25, 2017
Yes but notifications are completely off. I have to go into the Outlook app (the only client we can use for work email) which I only look at a few times a day. If someone truly needs me they will call.

johan

Oct 29, 2017
I'm a freelancer so I could get myself a second phone and subscription but that seems wasteful. I have a few live service maintenance contracts so I need to be available whenever anyway.

Arjen

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Yes, I use the phone I got from work privatly, I turn off my notifications in weekends and on days off.

Garth2000

Oct 27, 2017
Nope. I keep that separate. I want to be able to turn off my work phone and not have that feeling of dread when I hear a phone ring.

There are a handful of work friends who have my personal contact info, but they've been warned. If they use it to talk about work, they'll be blocked.

Deleted member 4208

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I put meetings and other scheduled events outside my normal work day on my phone calendar for reminders but e-mail and other communications? Hell no. When I go home I disconnect from work. I need to have boundaries.

NekoFever

Oct 25, 2017
I can check work emails if necessary but I don't routinely check it or get notifications. They're siloed in the Outlook app, away from my personal emails.

DrForester

Mod of the Year 2006
Oct 25, 2017
I can get them, but my phone is a backup to my work tablet. Notifications for it are all off.

shenden

Oct 27, 2017
Email, Google Chat is all going to my phone, which is both work/personal phone. I could not imagine dual wielding 2 smartphones as many at my company does. Walking around with 2 smartphones seems like a nightmare to me.

Kwigo

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Fuck no.
I already have to work on week-ends or in the evening where there's a go live or server maintenance (which tbf is quite rare), I won't start reading work related stuff during the little amount of free time I have.

KTC

Dec 7, 2017
UK
No i have a separate device for my work stuff, but i look like a bit of a dick with 2 devices so i hardly ever touch it

Nov 8, 2017
Hell no.

I don't even get work email on my work phone since I stopped entering my work account password on it. I just use my work phone as my personal phone now, since it's better than the one I had.

mhayes86

Oct 27, 2017
Maryland
Nope. My work stays at work. The only time something work related will come up on my phone is if a colleague or my boss text/call because they need me for something.

I used to have push notifications and email sent to my personal phone from my college while I attended that, though.