• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Cheesebu

Wrong About Cheese
Sep 21, 2020
Hella in the Bay Area. I know it's not like unheard of elsewhere but it's absolutely pervasive in SF and surrounding suburbs. One of my teachers used to say it a lot, and he was like 60.

SoCal used to say grippa instead of hella, but I live in LA now and I never hear it anymore.

Distantmantra

Oct 26, 2017
Seattle
Wisconsin reporting in:

• You Betchya = Yes

This is a thing in Seattle due to a historically large Scandinavian immigrant population. For us it's normally "Yah sure you betchya."

They call potato wedges "jojos" here. You call them jojos in most places and people will look at you like you're an alien.

Where is "here"? I grew up in Washington state calling them jojos.

We also had hella up here in the 90s.

Oct 27, 2017
Philadelphia
Here we call bar trivia "Quizzo". I heard they don't do that other places.

We also call sprinkles (like on ice cream or cupcakes) "jimmies". Wikipedia tells me they also do this in Boston so maybe it's more of an east coast thing than specific to one city.

Fiction

Fanthropologist
Oct 25, 2017
Elf Tower, New Mexico
I grew up in New Mexico which might as well be a different country to the rest of the US. Where getting rolled means getting robbed, where "Don't get peepee hearted." will not make people look at you like you are crazy, and umbers is not in anyway a paint color.

Tamath

Oct 31, 2017
Vienna, Austria
Plenty from North East England I thought were universal as a child.

Examples:

Spelk = splinter (of wood, like in your finger).

Pet lip = pouting (if someone has their pet lip out they're protruding their lower lip, like you do when you're sulking).

Plodging/to plodge = when you walk along the beach with your bare feet submerged in the shallows of the sea. I'm not sure there's an actual official word for this.

Marra is what we call a friend, at least in Sunderland, but I was always aware this was local dialect.

Koukalaka

Oct 28, 2017
Scotland
Always known the word "outwith".

It means outside of.

e.g.
Nobody really eats square sausage outwith Scotland
Delivering an upgrade to that server is outwith the scope of our project

It blew my mind to find folk at work from other countries outwith Scotland completely baffled by this word. Turns out it's Scottish. It doesn't come across to me as a particularly Scottish word.

I think it's a universal Scottish rite of passage to use "outwith" with non-scots and get blank stares/confused emails in return.

kirby_fox

Oct 29, 2017
Midwest USA
"Gym shoes" is the least common term I still use. Most I think refer to them as sneakers or tennis shoes. There's like two big cities that call them gym shoes I think, maybe three.

Deleted member 17210

User-requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
"Gym shoes" is the least common term I still use. Most I think refer to them as sneakers or tennis shoes. There's like two big cities that call them gym shoes I think, maybe three.
I only remember this from an elementary school context where we might change shoes for gym class. Outside of school, they were just called running shoes.

Altazor

Oct 25, 2017
Chile
Here we put "the" in front of the name of a person... like "The Messi is going to score tonite" , "The Juan is coming to tomorrow's dinner" or "What did you say to the Maria?" (El Messi va a meter un gol esta noche, El Juan va a venir a la cena de mañana, Que le has dicho a la Maria?)

It's due to the catalan influence but not exclusive to catalan native speakers now. Seeing it written in english looks horrible but in spanish it doesn't sound bad if you're from here I promise lol

as a Chilean, can confirm it's 100% common here 😁

Grimsen

Oct 25, 2017
An all-dressed pizza. Green peppers, mushrooms and pepperoni. Turns out it's just a Quebec thing.

ChanceOwen

Oct 25, 2017
Not sure how far reaching, but growing up in Canada we always referred to dental anesthetic as freezing. They put in the freezing. My mouth is frozen. Recently discussing with some American friends I learned they never heard the term and they use numbing.

Some American colleagues also pointed out that the Canadians would say "for sure" as a phrase of agreement. "Can we get this done by the end of the week?" "For sure."

Divorced Dad

Banned
Feb 16, 2021
"Hoagie" to describe a sub sandwich/grinder/whatever your area calls a long sandwich. I grew up in the only state that actually uses this term, and one of like three cities in the state specifically, but had no idea it was so localized until I moved.
It's not local, it's the correct word. People who use Sub are just wrong

Divorced Dad

Banned
Feb 16, 2021
I've heard Philly people say jawn maybe 4 times unironically. It's used far more as marketing slang than actual slang.

On topic and sticking with Philly area slang, "down the shore" for being at the beach. I'm not even sure the extent to which people call the beach "the shore" in general outside the Tri-State area.
It's an age thing. We called everything a jawn in the early 90s

loco

Jan 6, 2021
90s bay area word was faded. I'm about to get faded. Let's get faded. I still use it but don't hear it that much anymore.

Tavernade

Tavernade
Sep 18, 2018
Not 'quite' the same, but there's a bunch of totally random Yiddish/Hebrew words my family throws about that I keep forgetting aren't just, like, normal English words everyone knows.

Mitzvah and chutzpah come out of my mouth a lot and I swear there's like five or six others that are so ingrained in me I can't single them out unless someone else notices.

Swiggins

was promised a tag
Apr 10, 2018
Only SoCal.

NorCal people just say the number . . . scust.
137593505136.jpg

loco

Jan 6, 2021
My cousin in England didn't know what a walk-in closet was. She thought it was a bathroom. My uncle was confused lol.
My coworker from England said to my other coworker here in the US that her house looked homely when she visited. Some confusion there on the use of the word among us but we thought she meant that her house look like shit, not a cozy place to live in which she meant.

War Eagle

Oct 27, 2017
USA
In Connecticut, liquor stores are called package stores. But we typically say 'packy' or 'packie' (not actually sure which would be the correct spelling).

Melville85

Banned
Nov 15, 2020
From Birmingham, UK and we call car roundabouts 'islands' and forward rolls 'gambols'. And suburban alleyways are called 'gulleys'. I'm sure there are more.

AniHawk

No Fear, Only Math
Oct 25, 2017
The difference in meaning of the word "pants" in the us and the UK was a relatively recent one.

AJUK

May 28, 2019
I've got an opposite of this, I thought pop (as in the drink) was a local or maybe English thing at most, however I've heard Americans use it.

Swiggins

was promised a tag
Apr 10, 2018
I've got an opposite of this, I thought pop (as in the drink) was a local or maybe English thing at most, however I've heard Americans use it.
Depends on where you are in the US. In the Midwest it's traditionally known as Pop, but on the west-coast it's known as Soda.

FusedAtoms

Jul 21, 2018
In Connecticut, liquor stores are called package stores. But we typically say 'packy' or 'packie' (not actually sure which would be the correct spelling).
This is what I came to post . I moved to CT when I was in like third grade and just thought it was slang used everywhere. Everyone i know calls it a packy

JayCB64

Oct 25, 2017
Wales
Not quite the same but the phrase "Now in a minute", as in "I'll be there now in a minute", or "I'll do it now in a minute".

This is such a normal thing to say in Wales that I didn't realise it made no sense until I started using it around English people and they asked what the fuck I was talking about.

I didn't realise the English don't use cwtch either, meaning to cuddle. Super weird.

Cilidra

A friend is worth more than a million Venezuelan$
Oct 25, 2017
Ottawa
Whole bunch of Quebec French words or expression. They are so universally used in Quebec without the France (or other French countries) version ever used that are assumed to be the standard word. Example: magasinage (which means shopping), une brassée (a washing machine load), un char ( a car), blonde (girlfriend). There so many.