• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

WinniethePimp

Oct 26, 2017
EU
I speculate it comes from this insane sense that there is this hidden gotcha moment you will hit Trump with and he will crumble and things will get wrapped up like a West Wing or Newsroom episode

Someone on the other page mentioned how this would have tied his hand. Lol, no, no it fucking wouldn't, just like every other bombshell hasn't. You want recent proof? Disparaging dead veterans. Seems to be at the bottom of the news cycle already. Probably about a week away from being rested comfortably right next to the Russian bounties on US soldiers that were supposed to do him in. Or selling American foreign policy for dirt on his political opponents.

Frankly, if this shit is going to have any impact it will be the death by a thousand cuts, and those cuts are going to be more impactful the closer they happen to the election. People should be keenly aware given the Comey letter.

This releases in March and it's out of the zeitgeist in 48 hours, released in September and maybe it has a marginal impact if similar reporting keeps the narrative focused and people get re-energized to vote out Trump. But I'd bet in two weeks this is forgotten as well

Absolutely agree. This honestly should have been released like a week before the election maximum! Collective memory of a goldfish and all that...

cakely

Oct 27, 2017
Chicago
For the third time, some of us have had real loss from this pandemic, and criticizing Woodward for holding onto the clips for 6 months if they could've made even a 1% improvement on the odds of people surviving, while simultaneously criticizing the President in infinitely harsher ways, is not equivalent to the President himself deflecting criticism. So please, stop the sarcastic putdowns.

I'll skip the sarcasm and just say: The "Bob Woodward is the real killer for not reporting this earlier" argument is really fucking dumb, and the people using it on this board should be embarrassed to have made it.

Deleted member 31923

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 8, 2017
Absolutely agree. This honestly should have been released like a week before the election maximum! Collective memory of a goldfish and all that...

Yeah, and the only proof you need is the Comey letter that came out a little over a week before the election. It torpedoed Hillary's campaign, and we would probably not be discussing President Trump without the letter coming out. But if it came out two months before the election, she probably would have recovered.

gozu

Oct 27, 2017
America
For Trump, a humiliating defeat in November would be like death by a thousand cuts. Add an orange jumpsuit to the equation, and you've got something we can all delight in.

A prison sentence for his innumerable high crimes and misdemeanors is the only thing that would partially restore my faith in America.

Pretty sure I am not alone in this.

Capra

Oct 25, 2017
I'll skip the sarcasm and just say: The "Bob Woodward is the real killer for not reporting this earlier" argument is really fucking dumb, and the people using it on this board should be embarrassed to have made it.

You need to take a class in reading comprehension if that's honesty your takeaway from that post

meowdi gras

Feb 24, 2018
Yeah, it's all my fault the Trump cultists are such dumbasses and won't change their minds about him no matter what comes out. It's all my fault we've been conditioned for fucking years to expect one scandal after another on a near-daily basis until it all blends together and nothing fucking matters anymore. It's all my fault the American voting populace has the collective memory of a fucking goldfish.

Yeah, blame me for being able to hold two thoughts in my mind at the same time.

People like you just want a simple solution for everything. You think there's going to be some fucking silver bullet you can pin your hopes on that'll kill Trump's re-election chances and fix everything. And if this isn't it, then it must be someone else's fault.

Guess what? All the people believing this shit about Woodward's character and Trump just wanting to prevent a panic? They were always voting for Trump. This isn't some master campaign to smear Woodward and hide Trump's culpability, it's a flimsy excuse for people who have already made up their minds. You think they care about this shit? They will cling to literally any excuse their leadership can come up with.
This. News. Isn't. For. The. Cultists. How many thousands of times on this forum does this point need to be hammered home before people get it? They're dug in. They're immovable. We all know this. Trump could personally butcher their children before their very eyes and it probably wouldn't change their convictions about their Messiah. They're a lost cause. Moreover, they're not even relevant to the election outcome.

Who is relevant are the unfortunately-critical "swing voters", and the increasingly disenchanted Trump supporters who never drowned themselves in the kool-aid. (Like, for example, the known Republican voters who have been turned off by Trump's response to the virus.) Some of us try to hold onto a tiny shred of hope that Teflon Don can be defeated. (Perhaps especially those of us who belong to a targeted minority.) It is vital that this message condemning Trump in his own recorded words gets before this intended audience unobscured and undeflected by the many layers of spin with which this administration sustains itself.

Words matter. They are what temper or even determine the public discourse. When you (royal you) receive news like this that Woodward has dropped and end up contributing more words to the public discourse condemning the messenger than the irresponsible despot culpable for 190k deaths, you help to do said despot's work for him. You normalize his actions and feed his spin mechanism. Look at the last several pages of this thread: the hijack is on. Woodward's character is now the primary subject of the discourse here, god help us, without any of Trump's agents (knowingly) swooping in here and contributing to the spin. Imagine what's happening to this story in domains not self-styled as "progressive"?

Contrary to your accusations, my grasp of this matter is far from "simple". I'm all too cognizant of the likelihood that, if Trump is toppled, it won't be due to any one scandal. Like others in this thread, I subscribe to the "death by a thousand cuts" theory of his defeat. It therefore behooves us not to get in the way of any potential cuts, as the situation is desperate enough to place a premium on every last one. How hard is it to simply audit your response to this and ensure that it's proportionate? How many words have you contributed to the discourse over this news unleashing your outrage at this murderous regime? How many have you contributed attacking Woodward? By my count, you're not balancing both issues well at all.

Dodongo

Oct 25, 2017
As one poster earlier in the thread aptly pointed out, the investigation that took down Epstein spanned a year before it was released to the public. Think of all the poor children raped and traumatized while the reporter(s) sat on this news for a year! They should be tarred and feathered!!

Can you see how ridiculous this spin you guys are peddling re: Trump and Woodward is?

If this critical news dies quickly and turns out to have little impact on Trump's election chances, it will be due in no small part to people like you carrying water for him, poisoning the well, helping to make this all about Woodward's character and not what really counts here. Good job. Smdh
Yep. I don't get the point of saying Woodward neglected to tell people coronavirus is dangerous.

We already knew the virus was a huge deal. The information was already out there. Everyone not up Trump's ass knew Covid was a big deal.

The point is that Trump clearly knew too, but he lied about it constantly because he was thinking of his re-election and wanted to paint a rosy false narrative.

wollywinka

Feb 15, 2018
A prison sentence for his innumerable high crimes and misdemeanors is the only thing that would partially restore my faith in America.

Pretty sure I am not alone in this.
You are most definitely not alone. His flagrant and unabated assault on the Constitution, established norms, and basic decency must not go unpunished.

Stuntman

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Trump be like:

WkLMHv2.gif

Deleted member 2761

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017

I mean, I certainly have learned not to expect much from Era, but sitting on life-saving information in exchange for maximum electoral impact is a bit much. Yeah sure, the people he needed to convince at that point probably "deserve it" but they interact with local communities and endangered essential workers, many of whom are Black or Latino and certainly don't "deserve it".

Capra

Oct 25, 2017
How many words have you contributed to the discourse over this news unleashing your outrage at this murderous regime? How many have you contributed attacking Woodward? By my count, you're not balancing both issues well at all.

Have I been attacking Woodward? By my recollection I've been venting my irritation at the fact that we can't have any nuance in our stances on this shit anymore, because anyone who feels like discussing that aspect of this story on a discussion board where Trump being a shithead is more or less already assumed is being beaten with the same hammer people reserve for Trumpers.

DeathyBoy

Oct 29, 2017
Under my Hela Hela
Have I been attacking Woodward? By my recollection I've been venting my irritation at the fact that we can't have any nuance in our stances on this shit anymore, because anyone who feels like discussing that aspect of this story on a discussion board where Trump being a shithead is more or less already assumed is being beaten with the same hammer people reserve for Trumpers.

An inability to understand investigative journalism isn't a nuance. The idea that Woodward releasing this stuff to the press months ago would magically make people more responsible is absolute twaddle, and is the exact same argument Trump is using to deflect the issue.

BFIB

Oct 25, 2017
At this point, they don't even need to deflect, because it's not going to detract from that base. After yesterday, not seeing the outrage, it's apparent with 190K dead, the GOP and that shitty base are willing to sit on top of all of those deceased to ensure Trump stays in power. If Trump loses in November, the GOP is not breaking away. They will not distance. They will just double down on Trump for 2024 and bitch, moan, do what they do best, which is impede progress. Trump will continue to push his agenda behind the scenes, GOP will continue to be implicit in it all because there's no turning back on them now.

We need a sweeping victory in November, with all three branches of Gov't. Biden needs to expand Supreme Court seats, he needs to add states, he needs to strongly regulate social media, push for deplatforming on these companies, or break them up.

Capra

Oct 25, 2017
An inability to understand investigative journalism isn't a nuance. The idea that Woodward releasing this stuff to the press months ago would magically make people more responsible is absolute twaddle, and is the exact same argument Trump is using to deflect the issue.

No, it really isn't.

Like I and others here can be totally wrong about investigative journalism. Fine.

But the argument I keep seeing here, ignorant of journalism or not, is, "Woodward should have released this back then so we would have concrete evidence of Trump knowingly downplaying the pandemic in his own words behind the scenes,"

and the argument Trump is using is, "If it was so wrong for me to downplay the pandemic, why didn't Woodward release the tapes then?"

These are two conflicting arguments. One says that Trump is guilty of causing unnecessary deaths by downplaying the pandemic and that some of those deaths might have been prevented with evidence, and the other says that Trump was right to downplay the pandemic and that Woodward knew he was right at the time so he waited until it looked wrong to do so. No one here is arguing the latter.

Honestly at this point I'm just arguing over semantics so I should just stop contributing words to this discussion.

Last edited:

captmcblack

Oct 25, 2017
Clearly Trump should impeach Bob Woodward. It's the only way to make sure he pays for the lives that were lost, and the only way to be fair in criticism for both of them.

At least that's what that Trump tweet suggests!

Orb

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
USA
Blaming Woodward for not reporting something when we all knew Trump was lying and/or stupid way back when he first started talking about the virus is some cosmic brain levels of dumb.

RDreamer

Oct 25, 2017
Blaming Woodward for not reporting something when we all knew Trump was lying and/or stupid way back when he first started talking about the virus is some cosmic brain levels of dumb.
Not only did we know he was lying and not only did we have a lot of experts say it was dangerous but one of the only time periods releasing this would make sense, mid to late March, we were literally having this conversation already and Trump told us all straight up that he downplayed it and knew it was dangerous. He even says he knew it was a pandemic before everyone else. The reason Woodward asks him about it on March 19 and gets him to say he downplayed it is because we were having that same conversation out in public. He just asked what every other reporter was asking him.

The only reason it hits as scathingly now is because we also know he did jack shit behind the scenes and that caused a lot of people to die.

SapientWolf

Nov 6, 2017
At this point, they don't even need to deflect, because it's not going to detract from that base. After yesterday, not seeing the outrage, it's apparent with 190K dead, the GOP and that shitty base are willing to sit on top of all of those deceased to ensure Trump stays in power. If Trump loses in November, the GOP is not breaking away. They will not distance. They will just double down on Trump for 2024 and bitch, moan, do what they do best, which is impede progress. Trump will continue to push his agenda behind the scenes, GOP will continue to be implicit in it all because there's no turning back on them now.

We need a sweeping victory in November, with all three branches of Gov't. Biden needs to expand Supreme Court seats, he needs to add states, he needs to strongly regulate social media, push for deplatforming on these companies, or break them up.
Everyone isn't just going to abandon Trump en masse like the bully at the end of an 80s movie. His base is showing cracks. In particular, the 65 and older demographic who did not appreciate being offered up as human sacrifice to please the economy.

ChippyTurtle

Banned
Oct 13, 2018
Not only did we know he was lying and not only did we have a lot of experts say it was dangerous but one of the only time periods releasing this would make sense, mid to late March, we were literally having this conversation already and Trump told us all straight up that he downplayed it and knew it was dangerous. He even says he knew it was a pandemic before everyone else. The reason Woodward asks him about it on March 19 and gets him to say he downplayed it is because we were having that same conversation out in public. He just asked what every other reporter was asking him.

The only reason it hits as scathingly now is because we also know he did jack shit behind the scenes and that caused a lot of people to die.

thats right!

it was a bunch of "its fine, its fine", then switched to wartime President and BS....

TheGhost

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Long Island
Bombshell after bombshell drops about this man and usually it would sink a second term, but with him it doesn't matter because

"he doesn't like brown people like me so I'm voting him no matter what "

which even that gives his followers too much credit because that would mean they would have to believe the allegations first but still vote him because they are racist. But no they just think everything is fake news and the man is a saint.

N.Domixis

Banned
Oct 28, 2017

Hopefully Trump, uhm pushes up daisies in the next four years if he loses. He'll be 80+ right? His younger brother is already dead, he can't be too far behind.

Richiek

Nov 2, 2017

The NY Times front page reporting the Comey Clinton email report compared to the Trump Woodward report.

DazzlerIE

Oct 25, 2017
Simple: the President didn't want to create panic and mass hysteria. Remember that he always knows what's best for everyone else.

Hell, I think this actually makes him look better than the alternative, which is that he plugged his ears and decided not to listen to every expert telling him how serious it was. At least this makes him look less incompetent; just a manipulative liar, which we already knew he is.

It's maybe a valid defence if he hadn't spent his entire administration trying to panic his base with various chunks of red meat: caravans of immigrants, ANTIFA, Muslims, China etc

Mzen

Oct 25, 2017
Portugal

The NY Times front page reporting the Comey Clinton email report compared to the Trump Woodward report.

The Lebanon explosion incident from a month ago? Seriously? People got careless, corruption happened, stuff exploded, case closed. Why is that their choice for a front-page? (obvious rhetorical question, we all know the reason)

Man, the USA is mighty fucked.

lmcfigs

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
No, it really isn't.

Like I and others here can be totally wrong about investigative journalism. Fine.

But the argument I keep seeing here, ignorant of journalism or not, is, "Woodward should have released this back then so we would have concrete evidence of Trump knowingly downplaying the pandemic in his own words behind the scenes,"

and the argument Trump is using is, "If it was so wrong for me to downplay the pandemic, why didn't Woodward release the tapes then?"

These are two conflicting arguments. One says that Trump is guilty of causing unnecessary deaths by downplaying the pandemic and that some of those deaths might have been prevented with evidence, and the other says that Trump was right to downplay the pandemic and that Woodward knew he was right at the time so he waited until it looked wrong to do so. No one here is arguing the latter.

Honestly at this point I'm just arguing over semantics so I should just stop contributing words to this discussion.

Edit: I made a comment and it turns out it was going to be identical to what you had here; but yeah

I think he should have released it in part because it was (and is) very bad for Trump (he would have exposed Trump as lying to the American public extremely early on). Trump is literally saying the opposite: that because the info was not released, that means the info was good actually. These are incompatible statements! And only works because Woodward chose to act in the manner that he did.

Last edited:

Lakeside

Oct 25, 2017
His Twitter is still saying COVID isn't dangerous and I'm sure if you summoned his ghost, he'd blame the libz.

Why does Twitter allow people to use dead folks' Twitter accounts?

Especially for propaganda..

I mean if social media is finding it difficult to weed through and censor misinformation, dead people would be super low hanging fruit. This would be like a Leonard Nimoy checkmark account existing to tell us smoking is fucking great.