• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Lump

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
The "I didn't want to create panic" excuse is such blatant dogshit because you can just compare the US's "let's not create panic by lying about the seriousness of the virus" response to a lot of countries that took it seriously from the start and find that there was no mass panic in any of those countries.

BWoog

Oct 27, 2017
The "I didn't want to create panic" excuse is such blatant dogshit because you can just compare the US's "let's not create panic by lying about the seriousness of the virus" response to a lot of countries that took it seriously from the start and find that there was no mass panic in any of those countries.

You can also compare it to 95% of the shit Trump says about immigrants and Democrats about how they're going to MURDER THE COUNTRY.

Youngfossil

Oct 27, 2017
These fucking reporters need to team up and all have real follow up questions. I hate that he can get a shit response and the next is reporter is about their own shit. KEEP THE LINE OF QUESTIONS GOING!

Capra

Oct 25, 2017
The GOP is literally powered by fear. Inciting panic over scapegoats in order to further their own goals is their entire MO.

Deleted member 12224

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
If Woodward went public as he got the interview tapes, what would it have even changed? Anyone with any sense knew Trump was lying and downplaying the pandemic. Hell you can find countless posts here and online from way back then saying as such and also talking about how serious this virus was. Releasing it now does the most damage to Trump politically and actually has an impact on getting him out of office. He had just successfully shown he was invincible from removal after beating impeachment thanks to Republicans, I don't get the notion that a journalist releasing a recording of what the President basically already was saying and doing in public with his actions would have changed much. Even now Republicans are acting like they don't care what he said after almost 200k+ dead, so what would hearing this in March have changed in regards to COVID 19?
Look. I get all this in terms of cold hard political machinations.

But if this info coming out when it was learned about would've meant a measely 1% increase in the odds that family may have lived, I just can't abide by it.
The casual sinophobia that Trump exhibits is so dangerous to the Overton Window in this country.
Yep. It's straight up poison, and because it's accomplished by saying nothing but the country's name repeatedly (and with the venom I mentioned earlier), it slips by largely unchallenged.

NetMapel

Oct 25, 2017
Guys where do we rank the gravity and severity of this story in terms of Susan Collin's concern scale? Very concerned? Deeply concerned? Finger wagging concerned?

The Albatross

Oct 25, 2017
The Woodward book has so many new quotes... ffs. From Aaron Rupar on Twitter:

In another conversation, on June 19, Woodward asked the president about White privilege, noting that they were both White men of the same generation who had privileged upbringings. Woodward suggested that they had a responsibility to better "understand the anger and pain" felt by Black Americans.

"No," Trump replied, his voice described by Woodward as mocking and incredulous. "You really drank the Kool-Aid, didn't you? Just listen to you. Wow. No, I don't feel that at all."

Condensing this down into the synthesized version:

Woodward: "Do you have a responsibility to better understand the anger and pain felt by Black Americans?"
Trump: "No. No. Wow. No, I don't feel that at all."

hydruxo

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
I'm so fucking tired of Republicans. Every last one of them are fucking complicit.

KG

Banned
Oct 12, 2018
Funny, other countries were truthful about the coronavirus threat and treated it seriously publicly, and there wasn't a panic in those countries? Sounds like a lazy excuse.

Dartastic

One Winged Slayer
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
This is a bizarre take. If someone tells you they're going to shoot up a school, you are partly to blame if you wait until after it happens to tell anyone. And that's not an outrageous comparison because both situations result in people dying. Trump downplaying the virus has killed far more than a school shooting does. It's possible to say Woodward deserves blame without taking the heat off Trump as the main culprit.
Exactly, it can be both. Nearly 200,000 Americans have died due to Covid. Trump knew in February that it was really bad. Woodward knew that Trump knew it was bad. He then proceeded to do precisely nothing except for sit on this information for his book. If this news was published back in February who knows how many lives could have been saved.

Jarrod38

Oct 25, 2017
To my American people I'm sorry I downplayed the virus but remember to vote for me because you do not want looting, and antifa coming to your city.

shoptroll

May 29, 2018
ahh Kushner always with the good ideas.

OK. Here's what I don't get... Woodward already did a book on this administration back in the first year. Who in their right mind would let him anywhere near the White House let alone talk to Trump? Did they seriously expect this to end better than the last time? Or are they expecting to pick up royalties or something in the process?

Like I don't care for Trump and looking forward to hopefully voting him out in less than 2 months, but this sure feels political suicide lately with the way they are not handling things.

May 26, 2018
OK. Here's what I don't get... Woodward already did a book on this administration back in the first year. Who in their right mind would let him anywhere near the White House let alone talk to Trump? Did they seriously expect this to end better than the last time? Or are they expecting to pick up royalties or something in the process?

Like I don't care for Trump and looking forward to hopefully voting him out in less than 2 months, but this sure feels political suicide lately with the way they are not handling things.

apparently the motivation from Trump is that he wasn't there to "correct the record" on Woodward's first book. And correcting the record means, apparently, constantly blabbing about shit.

Tobor

Oct 25, 2017
Richmond, VA

Trump himself. He overruled everyone who said it was a bad idea, it's right there in the Tweet.

Distantmantra

Oct 26, 2017
Seattle

Trump is obsessed with bragging and talking to important people. How many times has he done big interviews with the New York Times even after constantly referring to them as "failing" and "fake news?" I don't think he can help it. He likes the attention.

Nappuccino

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
The Woodward book has so many new quotes... ffs. From Aaron Rupar on Twitter:

Condensing this down into the synthesized version:

Woodward: "Do you have a responsibility to better understand the anger and pain felt by Black Americans?"
Trump: "No. No. Wow. No, I don't feel that at all."
I feel like the drink the Kool-aid part is important to showcase how dismissive he is, too.

Nappuccino

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017

The only reasonable answer is they thought the cover of Woodward's book made Trump look badass, and didn't actually read the damn thing.

BFIB

Oct 25, 2017
Holy shit CNN just went IN on Sen. Kennedy, even cornering him with the audio. His response: I can only speak for myself. It's unreal.

NookSports

Oct 27, 2017
Kushner has got to have the worst political instincts I've ever seen. Like to the point he should pull a George Costanza and just do the opposite of what he thinks is a good idea

FLUXCapacitor

Oct 25, 2017
Finally we have tapes. And I have a feeling this is just the beginning. More shit is going to come out over the next couple months before the election. It's glorious.