• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

eyeball_kid

Oct 25, 2017
While not the sizzle headline, I also found this exchange very damning in terms of how Trump presents himself publicly as a "friend" to blacks:

WOODWARD: But let me ask you this. I mean, we share one thing in common. We're White, privileged, who- my father was a lawyer and a judge in Illinois, and we know what your dad did. Do you have any sense that that privilege has isolated and put you in a cave to a certain extent, as it put me, and I think lots of White, privileged people in a cave. And that we have to work our way out of it to understand the anger and the pain, particularly Black people feel in this country. Do you feel–

TRUMP: No. You really drank the Kool-Aid, didn't you? [laughing] Just listen to you. Wow. No, I don't feel that at all.

Kensation

Enlightened
The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
I'm just tired of people holding this shit back for books. He had these tapes for months while Trump lied, and Trump-supporting government officials used those lies to justify taking no action to mitigate the virus. Hundreds of thousands of people will die, and there was explicit proof of Trump lying back in February. It's not Woodward's fault that Trump and his administration is full of evil pieces of shit, but seeing all of these held back for a book is infuriating.
It's not Woodward's job to clean up America's mess for it, he's a reporter.

BFIB

Oct 25, 2017
I'm just tired of people holding this shit back for books. He had these tapes for months while Trump lied, and Trump-supporting government officials used those lies to justify taking no action to mitigate the virus. Hundreds of thousands of people will die, and there was explicit proof of Trump lying back in February. It's not Woodward's fault that Trump and his administration is full of evil pieces of shit, but seeing all of these held back for a book is infuriating.

Had Woodward released these back in May, it wouldn't had moved a needle. Had Woodward released them even in early August, it wouldn't move the needle. We're in the general election cycle now, when shit really sticks (normally, but this is Trump), plus we have no idea what his agreement with the WH was on excerpts as part of the deal, etc.

Christian

Oct 25, 2017
I fully expect that when he's out of office, we'll get reports on how he ordered nukes at several countries, but they ignored him or talked him out of it.

wollywinka

Feb 15, 2018
This is a bombshell. The fallout from this will be ugly. Hopefully, the shockwaves will reach the ballot box.

If the Biden administration pardons Trump I will abandon the Democratic party. He must be held accountable for the death and destruction he is responsible for.
Biden has promised there will no pardon for Trump, I believe.

jmood88

Oct 28, 2017
I'm aware of what his occupation is, and that doesn't change my opinion on how disgusting it is that someone who had tapes of the president lying about a virus that has killed scores of people in this country chose to wait for his book to come out. You can ignore that, I can't.

Kensation

Enlightened
The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
I'm aware of what his occupation is, and that doesn't change my opinion on how disgusting it is that someone who had tapes of the president lying about a virus that has killed scores of people in this country chose to wait for his book to come out. You can ignore that, I can't.
It would not have made a difference. Trump already escaped impeachment.

Koo

Dec 10, 2017
It's more people feel he has a duty to report what's happening before it gets worse.

Like, 'Hey, that guy over there is going building and building shooting people. I should write a book about this.'
vs immediately telling people so they can save themselves and others, and possibly this guy can be stopped from killing more.

eyeball_kid

Oct 25, 2017

While I (and the Founders) think that the press and an educated populace are a vital check against tyranny and corruption in government, I kind of want to give Woodward the benefit of the doubt here simply because he does thorough research and may not have wanted to jeopardize ongoing interviews by leaking stuff during that process.

modestb

Alt-Account
Banned
Jan 24, 2019
This is this week's "This is it, right? This is the thing that finally brings him down a meaningful amount?"

Avitus

Oct 25, 2017
It's more people feel he has a duty to report what's happening before it gets worse.

Like, 'Hey, that guy over there is going building and building shooting people. I should write a book about this.'
vs immediately telling people so they can save themselves and others, and possibly this guy can be stopped from killing more.

Trump already survived impeachment and the GOP wouldn't give a fuck about any of this.

shinobi602

Verified
Oct 24, 2017
We don't know what sort of agreements or contracts were made to when these interviews could be made public. Kind of feels like people are jumping to conclusions that they were held back intentionally.

It's a catastrophe on the administration's part and a stain on the country that we've lost so many now. At the same time this sort of information wouldn't have moved the needle or had as much of an effect if it was released months ago. We some 50 odd days away from the election where the public is hyper aware and attuned to news. This is when this shit hurts. I'm saddened for how many we've lost and yet acknowledge this will stick stronger at this point in time. Whatever it takes to get this motherfucker out before he destroys us all.

Tobor

Oct 25, 2017
Richmond, VA

I hear what you are saying, and I get it. I will add that there is an argument to make that is information would have had no impact back in February, or that it has more potential for impact now.

Ultimately, if Trump is defeated and this plays a part, than lives will still have been saved.

Starmud

Oct 27, 2017
The anger from everyone should be palatable... even China clearly laid it out for him what the virus was and what type of measures would be needed. Instead he played stupid and fed people his hoax/why mask or close bullshit. Meanwhile his enablers told us he shoots from the hip and it's just how he talks, or hell full on agreed it was a hoax.

Servbot24

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Obviously. This isn't news. Everyone has just been putting their hands over their eyes and ignoring common sense.

T002 Tyrant

Nov 8, 2018
Even if Trump ever got charged he'd be on house arrest in a luxury flat. Even rich-persons-prisons are like spas. No matter what they'll be no justice, and it saddens me that such a Twunt can exist in such a position of power.

I think the most frustrating part is he's so blatant about it all, that no matter what he does nothing seems to get in the thick skulls of his followers and the republican voters that would change his mind. He could literally execute a small child on camera - and his followers would immediately be making excuses about how the child was asking for it. Just angers and upsets me.

Deleted member 4614

Oct 25, 2017
he should have reported this one a little faster maybe

Maybe? September isn't a bad time for it though. Late enough to not be forgotten but early enough to influence people's perception of Trump.

This is all assuming it's Woodward's primary intention to influence the election which I don't think it is, I think it's to document and report what's going on and what's going wrong.

The fact that he makes money off of it seems not super relevant? Like you're making money off the valuable thing you made? Alright, sounds good

Tobor

Oct 25, 2017
Richmond, VA
We don't know what sort of agreements or contracts were made to when these interviews could be made public. Kind of feels like people are jumping to conclusions that they were held back intentionally.

It's a catastrophe on the administration's part and a stain on the country that we've lost so many now. At the same time this sort of information wouldn't have moved the needle or had as much of an effect if it was released months ago. We some 50 odd days away from the election where the public is hyper aware and attuned to news. This is when this shit hurts. I'm saddened for how many we've lost and yet acknowledge this will stick stronger at this point in time. Whatever it takes to get this motherfucker out before he destroys us all.

This is also true. We have no idea if Woodward signed a timed NDA or the like.

samoscratch

Nov 25, 2017
You can't fake news audio of him answering direct questions, in his own words. He said in response to withholding Covid info, quote "I do it and I continue to do it!" There is no way to lie about this
It doesn't matter, I went to the ask trump supporters subreddit and they don't care, making excuses left and right, there is no gotcha moment or aha moment and there never will be.

Doran

Jun 9, 2018
You will never change his base, no matter what you get him on. You have to fire up everyone else to vote him out. This should do that.

dodo

Oct 27, 2017

this isn't a case where a small no-name reporter or anonymous source has information nobody would believe without vetting, it's bob fucking woodward. if it wasn't a cynical move, it was certainly one of massive negligence and/or incompetence.

It would not have made a difference. The same amount of people would have died, Trump's enablers already gave him the golden ticket to get away with anything.

this doesn't really have anything to do with my complaint. of course trump is going to act like trump. regardless reporters shouldn't shrug their shoulders and go "well what's the point" just because the subject they're reporting on is a tough cookie lmao

krazen

Oct 27, 2017
Gentrified Brooklyn
Assuming good intentions, maybe he thought other accountability mechanisms had failed, and the election was the only real mechanism to remove Trump from office. In which case he'd be correct.

Yup! Id argue it's less of a thought, but common sense now.

These tapes would not have taken down the President; there's no smoking gun here that's smokier then the 8,732 other scandals we've faced (hell, even the scandals during this coverup, remember when the Fed's were stealing the state's supplies?). This is only a couple of months after the GOP went out of their way to cover for him during an impeachment, this wasn't going to even make Trump sweat.

THAT SAID, we can argue that this would have made it more difficult for the WH to downplay the disease ("Back to normal by Easter") and make us generally more prepared on an individual level but considering we are years into the Trump Gaslighting Misinformation Machine, I don't even think THAT'S guaranteed. It feels like Woodward is getting heat because who else can we get mad at? He had never had access to any path to control Trump as a reporter, but the other books flying around by ex-staff members...

OP
OP
Wraith

Wraith

Jun 28, 2018
Dr. Anthony Fauci, the administration's top infectious disease expert, is quoted telling others Trump's leadership was "rudderless" and that his "attention span is like a minus number."

"His sole purpose is to get reelected," Fauci told an associate, according to Woodward
"attention span like a minus number"

LMAO
Fauci quotes letting us know Trump in private is exactly what we've always thought, same as we've heard from other former insiders for years. Rudderless leadership, unfocused, no attention span, focused solely on himself.

A bit more on Fauci from the WaPo piece:
Fauci at one point tells others that the president "is on a separate channel" and unfocused in meetings, with "rudderless" leadership, according to Woodward. "His attention span is like a minus number," Fauci said, according to Woodward. "His sole purpose is to get reelected."

In one Oval Office meeting recounted by Woodward, after Trump had made false statements in a news briefing, Fauci said in front of him: "We can't let the president be out there being vulnerable, saying something that's going to come back and bite him." Pence, Kushner, chief of staff Mark Meadows and senior policy adviser Stephen Miller tensed up at once, Woodward writes, surprised Fauci would talk to Trump that way.

Woodward describes Fauci as particularly disappointed in Kushner for talking like a cheerleader as if everything was great. In June, as the virus was spreading wildly coast to coast and case numbers soared in Arizona, Florida, Texas and other states, Kushner said of Trump, "The goal is to get his head from governing to campaigning."
And right after that, we find out GWB didn't want any part of this, either:
Woodward writes that Sen. Lindsey O. Graham (R-S.C.) suggested former president George W. Bush speak personally with Trump about global vaccine efforts, but that Bush demurred.

"No. No," Bush told Graham, according to Woodward. "He'd misconstrue anything I said."

Kensation

Enlightened
The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
this isn't a case where a small no-name reporter or anonymous source has information nobody would believe without vetting, it's bob fucking woodward. if it wasn't a cynical move, it was certainly one of massive negligence and/or incompetence.

this doesn't really have anything to do with my complaint. of course trump is going to act like trump. regardless reporters shouldn't shrug their shoulders and go "well what's the point" just because the subject they're reporting on is a tough cookie lmao
Would you rather him release a haphazard version of the story, or would you rather him release it when he had all the receipts?

Trup1aya

Literally a train safety expert
Oct 25, 2017
This guy just admitted to lying... on record...

Im here for the mental gymnastics his supporters will spew now.

Oct 27, 2017
Illinois
His base will never drop him. That would mean that they were wrong. It would be like picking a new baseball team when yours is losing and as a Cubs fan, this is something you just would never do.

Humidex

Oct 27, 2017
I'm angry. We're angry. But shocked? No. His indifference to the crisis has long been suspected. Now it's there in the open.

But does it move the needle? I hope it does to the undecided. Other will have made up their minds long, long ago.

Tagg

Attempted to circumvent ban with an alt-account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Daaaaaaaamnn. Even audio tapes to back this up. Democrats, this is all the fuel you need.