• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

jwk94

Oct 25, 2017
Can you really just leave class as soon as the bell rings?
Do people just wear shoes indoors?
Do some people just get up and go to school/work without bathing?
1. Depends on the teacher. Generally, the teacher will dismiss you.
3. Yes. Depression takes a toll on you, causing you to not be able to do simple tasks like shower. Other times, people are gross. Had a girl friend whose roommate took a shower once or twice a week, then just spritzed perfume on herself the rest of the week.

Also had a girlfriend who did something similar.

Kapryov

Oct 27, 2017
Australia
Not american, but can confirm people applauded the plane landing when I arrived.
There was also applause after (and during!) movies. It was odd.

FaceHugger

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
USA
I went to a large high school, there were not cliques. Everyone hung around with everyone, even across grades, even across other nearby high schools.

Having recently watched some Korean and European shows depicting Americans, I'd say the biggest misconception is how they seem to think everyone with a southern US accent is dumb and backwards, particularly those in the Gulf Coast region. It's akin to someone, someplace, in the UK suggesting that everyone with a Sheffield accent is dumb because they sound different than most of the rest of the country.

jwk94

Oct 25, 2017
Do you really hang up the phone without saying goodbye ? it's so common in movies/shows that it has to be (somewhat) true.
Fuck I hate this so much. It varies though. Working in customer service, shit was common as hell for the client to say thanks and hang up. My ex got mad because I wanted to say bye before hanging up smh.

jwk94

Oct 25, 2017
I would actually be curious how many Americans here have been in close proximity to a shooting (mass or not). In college there was an armed gunman on campus that robbed a store, but all that amounted to was us staying in our dorms for a few hours.
Went to Purdue and walked past the building while there was a shooting going on. Had no idea until I got to my next class. The students practically had to force the school to cancel classes for the rest of the day.

Oct 27, 2017
1. Depends on the teacher. Generally, the teacher will dismiss you.
3. Yes. Depression takes a toll on you, causing you to not be able to do simple tasks like shower. Other times, people are gross. Had a girl friend whose roommate took a shower once or twice a week, then just spritzed perfume on herself the rest of the week.

Also had a girlfriend who did something similar.
Oh i definitely understand the depression part leading one to not feel like taking care of themselves

ConfusingJazz

Not the Ron Paul Texas Fan.
Oct 26, 2017
China
There are cliques in high school, but they isn't a wall between them or anything. People are more than just band or football or whatever. I mean, do you only have friends that are in the same industry that you work in or the hobby you have on the weekend? I mean, you are more likely to have friends you met from work or whatever, but those aren't going to be your only friends.

I have lived most of my life in Texas. 99% of the guns I have seen in my life are on police officers. The only other times I have seen guns are at shooting ranges, which I have done like 2 or 3 times in my life. I have never been hunting, but there are plenty that have. i have never been trying to buy a burger next to someone carrying an AR-15.

julian

Oct 27, 2017
Are you from Europe? Just wondering, as many things you see on TV that are represented as "American" will actually be quite varied across North America. NA is as large as Europe, and with a diversity of local customs. Perhaps not as varied as Europe, but still not homogenous. I know that a lot of people from Europe don't understand this due to the nature of cultural media, but the US truly is gargantuan in size.

This is the US super-imposed to true scale across Europe, for example:

QiHGvZa.jpg
Now add Alaska!

Big Boy

Oct 25, 2017
Ending phone calls by just hanging up on people instead of saying bye or some other parting salutation

ArchedThunder

Uncle Beerus
Oct 25, 2017

PMS341

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt-account
Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Been in the South for about 30 years, various states.

High Schools. How true is the whole high school cliques segregation? Did you have a clear jock, nerd, etc. separation at your school?

I think cliques can form just about anywhere, even online communities, but yeah people had certain other people they enjoyed hanging out with, all with similar interests - football kids, "gamer" kids, goth kids with their own corner to chill in, etc. Didn't really see much overlap.

Wearing shoes indoors

Pretty much everyone does lol.

Yes to all three lmao

Is it true that americans clap before, during and after a meal/journey/watching a film/taking a shit?

For me I've only heard clapping after movies and when a plane lands. Taking a shit rarely involves clapping, but a fuckton of people in public restrooms here love being on their phones while fart noises are in the background. Super annoying and weird.

Joe

Oct 25, 2017
The thing about clapping after movies and plane landings is that most Americans also think it's dumb, and wish people wouldn't do it. But some tiny percentage of people always do it, and since both of those things involve groups of scores of people being around at the end, that 5% is always present, and you always get some clapping assholes.

Orayn

Oct 25, 2017
Shoes on/off indoors isn't something that's going to be totally consistent in a large country. When people come over to my house for the first time they'll usually ask me, and when I visit someone else I usually take them off.

Reym

Jul 15, 2019
The title of this contains an oxymoron. There is no such thing as a "wonderful American".
As an American myself, every negative thing you've ever heard about us is true. Every positive thing is false. The weird stuff - it depends on how much it would personally annoy you, if it's annoying we definitely do it.

...I may have become a bit jaded in recent years...apologies.

SageShinigami

Oct 27, 2017

There's always "that one teacher" that tries to pull that, "the bell doesn't dismiss you, I dismiss you", but everyone hates that teacher. Especially since your class can be pretty far off and you usually have less than five minutes to get to the next class.

Yes, depends on the house. I've been to way more houses that's yes than no.

And yes, people generally shower before going to bed.

Nakazato

Oct 25, 2017
Mine:

High Schools. How true is the whole high school cliques segregation? Did you have a clear jock, nerd, etc. separation at your school?

Other non-americas, please post your questions for our wonderful American friends.
It's true to an extent. But some people made friends with the jocks and nerds way before his school which gives them the ability to be in to cliques.

Lonewolf

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Oregon

There are a multitude of reasons. Cold floors, short or official visits, ect. Generally, in my experience, we only remove our shoes in friends and families houses and only when we intend on staying for more than a short visit.

I've seen people open carry, but it's rare (I live in rural Oregon).
Always say goodbye on the phone.
High school tends to be cliquey, but there is overlap and it's not like open war going on.

Why do you call jam jelly and jelly jello

Better question to ask is why your country only has one term for a wide array of product. :p

We call jam jam. Jam in NA contains both the juice and flesh of a fruit or vegetable (typically, it's not clear or translucent).

We call jelly jelly. The term comes from the French gelée and refers exclusively to a clear or translucent fruit spread made from sweetened fruit (or vegetable) juice—thus differing from jam by excluding the fruit's flesh and sometimes including added sweeteners like sugar (but nowhere as sweet as gelatin dessert, mind).

Jello (specifically spelled Jell-O) is a brand name of gelatin desserts, puddings, and no-bake cream pies. Regionally, gelatin desserts might be referred to as jello, Jell-O, or jelly (See: regional names for soda pop or water fountains).

We also have Fruit butters (whole fruit is forced through a sieve after a heating process), preserves (cooked and gelled whole fruit or vegetable), and Marmalades (preserve made from the juice and peel of citrus fruits boiled with sugar and water).

Walking into a bar and just asking for "a beer."

Pretty common in rural bars where the vast majority of the clientele are regulars. My corner market knows I'm usually in there for smokes and the brand I smoke, for example, and will have a pack on the counter by the time I've stepped up to it.

Last edited:

Thorrgal

Oct 26, 2017
Wait WHAT. Everyone wears shoes indoors here in Spain WTF. Never in my life would have passed my mind to kick off my shoes on a foreign house.

I think that's mainly due to the climate. People in harsher climates with constant rain, snow and mud like northern europe always remove them, but they have slippers for guests

The title of this contains an oxymoron. There is no such thing as a "wonderful American".
As an American myself, every negative thing you've ever heard about us is true. Every positive thing is false. The weird stuff - it depends on how much it would personally annoy you, if it's annoying we definitely do it.

You'd probably have a hard time finding what you consider to be a wonderful human with this outlook.

I get it, though. I'm not proud to be from here anymore, but I realize there are many, many awesome people that are from the US. And there are many who have wonderful and awful aspects. It's just the typical human spectrum.

The main difference that I perceive is that we have a more anti-intellectual bent. Also, being the largest "western" country by population amplifies this effect.

Last edited:
Oct 27, 2017
I think that's mainly due to the climate. People in harsher climates with constant rain, snow and mud like northern europe always remove them, but they have slippers for guests
In the tropics its way too hot to keep your shoes on and also potentially trudging dirt in your house is nasty so it's very rare to keep your shoes on in your house or a guest's house

Thorrgal

Oct 26, 2017
I was thinking about this after posting. I imagine all you're saying is pretty common on those places and here is almost non existent.

Is what my brother's in-laws told me. They're from a cold place were this is basically mandatory, and it was a shock fof them to see noone does it here.

Thorrgal

Oct 26, 2017
In the tropics its way too hot to keep your shoes on and also potentially trudging dirt in your house is nasty so it's very rare to keep your shoes on in your house or a guest's house

Yeah, so due to the different climate's everywhere, different customs

For what is worth when I was living in the states I never saw people taking their shoes off and was never asked to do it myself. Never even knew it was a thing until later in life, as here noone does it.

Mekanos

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 17, 2018
The thing about clapping after movies and plane landings is that most Americans also think it's dumb, and wish people wouldn't do it. But some tiny percentage of people always do it, and since both of those things involve groups of scores of people being around at the end, that 5% is always present, and you always get some clapping assholes.

I've been to enough movies where I don't believe only 5% think clapping at movies is good.

The main culprits for movie clapping are opening night/weekend showings where you get all the diehard megafans who are excited to be there and soaking in the atmosphere, and those are usually big blockbuster movies where people have adrenaline rushing through them. People don't clap watching a romcom two weeks after it's been in theaters.

Oct 27, 2017
Mount Airy, MD
Mine:

Other non-americas, please post your questions for our wonderful American friends.

Mind you, I went to high school from the mid-90s to 2000, so my experience is somewhat outdated. We absolutely had those kinds of cliques, but my school was also kinda big into the drama department, so the drama kids were as popular and well-regarded as the "jocks". My core friends at school were very much the nerdy group, but I was always pretty good at swapping in with any group and my most-connected group of friends was split across several schools.

Imperfected

Nov 9, 2017
American, grew up mostly in the 90's in the rural South. High school cliques were crazy accurate. (I was a goth.)

Only stupid people clap at random shit, and the rest of us give them the side-eye. If you see someone doing this it's not so much that they're "American" as they are "dumb".

Taking off shoes in homes is mostly regional. It's very common to take them off on the West Coast, seems far less common in the South.

I've never actually been to a school that had end-of-period audible bells. I'm not sure if that's coincidence or not; I could imagine it's more of a movie conceit, where it's an easy way to let you know the class time is up rather than having a character check their phone or something. As for whether or not students leave when the period is over? Absolutely. Keep in mind, American college campuses are often quite large, even sometimes including satellite sites essentially off-campus; travel time between can be as long as the spacing between class end and start times.

That said, it's also common for the professor to stay up at the lectern after class is over to take questions, often spilling over into the next instructor's class prep time and having to relocate as a result. It's not like a rats from a sinking ship situation, just sometimes students literally have someplace to be.

Do you keep car spare key on the car's sun visor ?

I don't, but know people who do! In rural Midwestern towns I've lived in, it's not uncommon to keep your keys in the car - sometimes even in the ignition!

Do that anywhere in the L.A. area, and your car is guaranteed gone within the week.

I've never actually been to a school that had end-of-period audible bells. I'm not sure if that's coincidence or not; I could imagine it's more of a movie conceit, where it's an easy way to let you know the class time is up rather than having a character check their phone or something.

In high school and elementary school? Or in college?
This is interesting - I've never been to a high school that hasn't had an end of period bell. When I was growing up, we even had a real bell that rang. Nowadays, it's just some sort of sound played over the intercom that varies from school to school.

Imperfected

Nov 9, 2017
In high school and elementary school? Or in college?
This is interesting - I've never been to a high school that hasn't had an end of period bell. When I was growing up, we even had a real bell that rang. Nowadays, it's just some sort of sound played over the intercom that varies from school to school.

Ever, even grade school. I can't imagine why you would need it, as it sort of implies the teacher can't keep track of time?

BigDes

Knows Too Much
Oct 25, 2017
Is it true that if you go a day without seeing the flag you melt into a puddle?

Is it true that you get an assault rifle at birth?

Is it true that you think that the only candy that exists is peanut butter flavor?

Is it true that you boil water by shooting it?

ArchedThunder

Uncle Beerus
Oct 25, 2017
Is it true that if you go a day without seeing the flag you melt into a puddle?

Is it true that you get an assault rifle at birth?

Is it true that you think that the only candy that exists is peanut butter flavor?

Is it true that you boil water by shooting it?
No, because it's physically impossible to go a day without seeing the flag.

No, you get it at 13.

Bacon, sugar, purple and chocolate exist.

No, we burn books.