• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

SchroDingerzat

One Winged Slayer
Sep 24, 2018
www.kickstarter.com

Update 38: Shipping Status Update · The Wonderful 101: Remastered

This update is only viewable by backers of this project

I am unfortunately one of those bitten by this. I am also pretty sure that the FAQ didn't mention any of the customs stuff when I backed it originally.

So sadly many have paid much more for a game that will soon be in local shops, with little to nothing to show for backing it.

Honestly this kicktstarter has been quite pointless =/.....

EDIT: I am not going mad, they didn't update the FAQ until after the campaign started to say people would be liable for customs.

Last edited:

Jonnax

Oct 26, 2017
The logistics of handling customs is hard.
But also someone has to pay it.
It's either included in the price or passed onto consumers.

Zhao_Yun

Oct 25, 2017
Germany
Still waiting for my copy to arrive in Germany. Wouldn't be surprised if it was still stuck at customs where they will determine how much customs I have to pay...
Don't really understand why they couldn't distribute EU copies from within the EU. There is a retail EU version so it should not have been that hard, right?

FPX

One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
EDIT: nvm, forgot you couldn't get refunds on kickstarter

Last edited:

tiebreaker

Oct 25, 2017
Still waiting for my copy to arrive in Germany. Wouldn't be surprised if it was still stuck at customs where they will determine how much customs I have to pay...
Don't really understand why they couldn't distribute EU copies from within the EU. There is a retail EU version so it should not have been that hard, right?

Same. Going by the tracking, it has arrived in Germany since last week. So, it's probably stuck in custom.

Let's see if I have to go to pick the game up myself.

Kane

Oct 28, 2017
Still waiting for my physical copy (Serbia).
I just regret supporting this kickstarter, and I am mad at Platinum for not letting me switch to a digital version.

Windrunner

Sly
Oct 25, 2017
Very glad I got the PS4 digital edition. I was tempted by the Switch physical version but the poor performance and then getting hit by customs would have given me serious buyer's remorse.

Mafro

Oct 25, 2017
I got hit with the custom fees too.

The logistics of handling customs is hard.
But also someone has to pay it.
It's either included in the price or passed onto consumers.
They didn't add information about the additional fees until more than a week after the Kickstarter went live. They sent an email out this morning basically blaming people for not reading the FAQ properly when the information wasn't even there to begin with.

Shady as fuck.

Geist 6one7

Oct 29, 2017
MASS
452545_122714-goodwill-fire.jpg

Jonnax

Oct 26, 2017

They didn't add information about the additional fees until more than a week after the Kickstarter went live. They sent an email out this morning basically blaming people for not reading the FAQ properly when the information wasn't even there to begin with.

Shady as fuck.

Okay. That's fucked up.

JediEagle

Oct 17, 2018
Slovenia
www.kickstarter.com

Update 38: Shipping Status Update · The Wonderful 101: Remastered

This update is only viewable by backers of this project

I am unfortunately one of those bitten by this. I am also pretty sure that the FAQ didn't mention any of the customs stuff when I backed it originally.

So sadly many have paid much more for a game that will soon be in local shops, with little to nothing to show for backing it.

Honestly this kicktstarter has been quite pointless =/.....
Yes, it was mentioned in the campaign that you would have to pay for customs yourself. That is one of the reason I did not pledge. I don't remember if it was FAQ, update, campaign text, but it was explained.

edit: I see that people are upset, because it was mentioned after the campaign started. ... and I checked my pledged kickstarter campaigns, I actually cancelled my pledge. Besides the customs thing, it was also vinyl soundtrack being to high a pledge. It's all coming back :D

OP
OP
SchroDingerzat

SchroDingerzat

One Winged Slayer
Sep 24, 2018
Yes, it was mentioned in the campaign that you would have to pay for customs yourself. That is one of the reason I did not pledge. I don't remember if it was FAQ, update, campaign text, but it was explained.

Actually some on the Kickstarter have mentioned that it was updated to include the note about customs some weeks after the campaign started (which is when I backed). So actually seems they didn't.

fans have highlighted that this particular piece of info was only added to the Kickstarter campaign's FAQ section on 12th February, more than a week after the campaign launched and long after many had already pledged their support.

Mafro

Oct 25, 2017

edit: I see that people are upset, because it was mentioned after the campaign started. ... and I checked my pledged kickstarter campaigns, I actually cancelled my pledge. Besides the customs thing, it was also vinyl soundtrack being to high a pledge. It's all coming back :D
Se my post above your's. They didn't mention anything about customs fees until more than a week after the campaign went live.

MatrixMan.exe

Oct 25, 2017
Actually some on the Kickstarter have mentioned that it was updated to include the note about customs some weeks after the campaign started (which is when I backed). So actually seems they didn't.

Yeah, I backed the day the Kickstarter went live so there was no way I'd have known unless I decided to go back and read the updated information.

Alent

Oct 28, 2017
I'm always getting hit with customs fees so i suspect i'll be an unlucky one too. It's worse when customs hold your package for 2 weeks. Hopefully it comes soon...

blaze

Oct 25, 2017
UK
My copy hasn't even turned up yet, but apparently I have a £17 charge heading my way, then I get to wait a bit longer to have it delivered once I have paid. Ridiculous, I would have much rather paid a little extra in postage to have the game delivered by a company that was able to use DDP, instead Royal Mail now get to charge an £8 handling fee for doing nothing they don't already do.

Deleted member 5334

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
God, if Portugal is as bad with customs fees as they were in the past (due to my friend's experience with them, as he lives there), I legit feel bad for anyone who bought it on kickstarter there. My friend once ordered a (roughly) 4800yen DVD from Japan. He paid effectively more for customs than the damn DVD itself (so ended up paying over double the price of what he bought/shipped it for). Not the first or last time he paid extreme amounts on customs there. I really hope that doesn't happen, because I'd honestly just tell anyone to just deny it.

AllMight1

Oct 27, 2017
Yeah arrived to my country 2 weeks ago and havent received it. First and last time I support a game through kickstarter. Its just not worth it.

King_Moc

Oct 25, 2017
Happened to my housemate. The kickstarter and customs fee has come to a bit over £45. It's about £30 in the shops and he could have gotten it sooner that way too.

JediEagle

Oct 17, 2018
Slovenia
Se my post above your's. They didn't mention anything about customs fees until more than a week after the campaign went live.

I agree that it's a scummy move, and specially unfair to any new backers on kickstarter. Most gaming (video/card/boardgames) usually tell in advance if the campaign is customs friendly or not. There is definitely blame to be put on Platinum, but people should check the updates and messages before the end of the campaign. There was no "customs friendly" notice on the campaign, so people should expect customs costs. I know, I had a similar experience, which cost me way more money. Again, it's scummy for saying nothing, but the "I didn't know" or "They updated it AFTER" does not cut it.

edit: ok, I checked my comments on Kickstarter, it seems I was just a pain in the ass in this campaign :) I believe I cancelled my pledge after they replied to me.
dCnJ1AK.png

Theswweet

RPG Site
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
California
Between this, the PC Physical fiasco and the overall lack of communication, this Kickstarter has been a disaster. Never touching anything Platinum puts on the platform again.

ps3ud0

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Yeah I mentioned this in the main thread when I saw the shipping email. Not impressed in the slightest - any customs charges could have been included and paid up front if they weren't going to distribute via EU...

Just consider that somehow they got standard release copies distributed across the world and no issues with regards to custom charges. Yet with the Kickstarter everything has been blamed to COVID-19.

Platinum and their partners fucked up and probably did it to fans that they least wanted to get on the wrong side of. That's not a threat but if people go out of their way to support you on sites like Kickstarter those are the people you should got out of your way to embrace.

One point I read on KS is the consideration that this could have been labelled as a gift since we invested in the development and publication of the game and not in actually buying a copy of it per se. I don't think that flies (for insurance coverage for a start) but was an interesting idea.

ps3ud0 8)

Last edited:

Deleted member 10737

Banned
Oct 27, 2017

Shady as fuck.

yikes, very bad look for them.

Tempy

Oct 25, 2017
I dunno. If a KS project doesn't specifically say it's customs friendly, why assume it is when the default isn't?

I don't need a "customer is liable for customs" in the FAQ to know that that's the default of all packages coming to me that originates outside of the EU.

Mafro

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah I mentioned this in the main thread when I saw the shipping email. Not impressed in the slightest - any customs charges could have been included and paid up front if they weren't going to distribute via EU...

Just consider that somehow they got standard release copies distributed across the world and no issues with regards to custom charges. Yet with the Kickstarter everything has been blamed to COVID-19.

Platinum and their partners fucked up and probably did it to fans that they least wanted to get on the wrong side of. That's not a threat but if people go out of their way to support you on sites like Kickstarter those are the people you should got out of your way to embrace.

One point I read on KS is the consideration that this could have been labelled as a gift since we invested in the development and publication of the game and not in actually buying a copy of it per se. I don't think that flies (for insurance coverage for a start) but was an interesting idea.

ps3ud0 8)
Yep the bolded just makes them come out of this looking even worse.

Giving out free Steam keys was nice for the people that were able to actually use them.

Vamphuntr

Oct 25, 2017
Received mine a long time ago. I'm in Canada and didn't pay any customs fee. The holographic slipcase is nice.

Deleted member 8593

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
It has been a pretty badly handled Kickstarter so far. I almost cancelled my pledge so I could order it at retail here but decided against it. Game still isn't here and I'm pretty sure I'll have to pay up as well. Too bad.

Mafro

Oct 25, 2017
If anyone hasn't received their copy yet or hasn't opened the package, try refusing the package on arrival or returning the unopened package to the shipping company. They might still try to come after you for customs charges, but if you're willing to fight back for them (do NOT pay customs for an item you didn't receive or have!) then you can get the game cheaper anywhere else.
This wouldn't work. You have to pay the customs charges before you actually receive the item from Royal Mail. If you don't pay after a certain amount of time (two or three weeks, can't remember) then it just gets sent back and as far as I'm aware you can't claim refunds on Kickstarters for something like that.

HardRojo

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Peru
I received a shipping email on the 11th, then another on the 12th saying there was a mistake and the package had to return to them. Nothing since then and when I wrote them a few days ago they only replied with a generic "Due to the volume of tickets, it might take a while to respond" or some shit like that. Yeah, at this point I think I'm not receiving shit and I'm never backing any physical products again.
I'm from Peru btw.

FPX

One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
This wouldn't work. You have to pay the customs charges before you actually receive the item from Royal Mail. If you don't pay after a certain amount of time (two or three weeks, can't remember) then it just gets sent back and as far as I'm aware you can't claim refunds on Kickstarters for something like that.

Oh right. Kickstarter.

mclem

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, I had to pay for Customs. To be fair, I generally expect to have to pay customs fees on larger kickstarters, although sometimes I've managed to dodge a bullet (and quite frequently now you'll see "europe-friendly shipping" meaning they'll send it to an EU-based port at their cost and then distribute it within the EU at normal shipping costs.

Soul Lab

Nov 17, 2017
yea the whole situation sucks. really curious what I have to pay for the bigger package with all the goodies. lol

Billfisto

Oct 30, 2017
Canada
Canadian, still waiting on mine. I'm never ordering anything fulfilled by The Yetee again. Their shipping is an opaque, inexplicable mess.

Rotobit

Editor at Nintendo Wire
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
Yeah I got hit by it, if Platinum does another Kickstarter I'll either just go with the digital tier or not bother.

The lenticular cover is cute but not worth the extra £16 at all.

Also FWIW I've kickstarted a bunch of physical products in the past and this is the first time I've been hit by customs.