• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Which was more disappointing in the end?

• Wonder Woman 1984

Votes: 1,156 93.5%
  • Birds of Prey (and the Fantabulous Emancipation of One Harley Quinn)

Votes: 81 6.5%

• Total voters

Kuro

Oct 25, 2017
Birds of Prey was fantastic and a top 3 film of the DCEU era.

I have nothing nice to say about WW84. Complete disaster and I feel bad for Pedro Pascal because he at least tried for something.

Royalan

I can say DEI; you can't.
Oct 24, 2017
WW84 easily for me.

I was mildly disappointed in Birds of Prey, I'll admit that much. But I don't know if I would say it was a bad movie. It was a fun movie that had the potential to be a whole lot better. I could see what they were going for, even if I thought it was very...Disney Channel (to me).

But WW84 just...so little about that movie worked for me. And as a huge fan of the first movie (final act and all), disappointed isn't even the word. Legitimately a movie that had me mouthing What Happened??? at my computer screen when I finished it and tried to contemplate what must have gone wrong between 84 and the first movie.

FormatCompatible

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
WW84 and frankly it's not even close.

Didn't find BoP disappointing, way better than trash like Suicide Squad imo.

excelsiorlef

Bad Praxis
Oct 25, 2017
Harley Quinn: Escaping an abusive relationship is empowering

WW84: Isn't rape romantic? *Looney Tunes theme*

RumbleHumble

Oct 27, 2017
Why is this about WW84 and BoP, and not WW84 and cinematic sensation Suicide Squad, you know, the worst reviewed movie of the DC slate?

J_Viper

Oct 25, 2017
BoP looks great at least. Cathy Yan has a strong eye for visuals, she just needs a strong script to work with, which the film did not have.

WW84 is disaster on nearly every level.

Siresly

Prophet of Regret
Oct 27, 2017
Birds of Prey was fine. Good, even. Did ok with critics. 78% RT.
Haven't seen WW84. But I guess I'll vote for that.

Dirtyshubb

Oct 25, 2017
UK
Haven't seen WW84 yet but heard terrible things.

Birds of Prey for me was ok at best. I enjoyed it while watching but I can barely remember anything about it now.

I would say it surprises me how much praise it gets here but then I remember everyone here raving about WW (good but overrated) and Aquaman (stupid fun, entirely forgettable except for some of the terrible performances).

Soupman Prime

The Fallen
Nov 8, 2017
Boston, MA
Didn't really enjoy either of them but Birds of Prey was better I guess, they were both disappointing but Wonder Woman moreso because it was a bigger movie and just failed just about every where.

I don't think Birds was panned either, it wasn't highly rated like the 1st WW or some MCU movie but it wasn't trash like BvS or Justice League.

Syranth

Oct 28, 2017
The ending of WW84 was so unbelievable. If they had released it before COVID then maybe I would have enjoyed it, but seeing the world mid COVID made it pure unbelievable.

KtotheRoc

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
BoP was the better film. This isn't even close. WW84 was massively disappointing, and extremely fucked up.

Hyun Sai

Oct 27, 2017
Even if I didn't find Birds of Prey very good, WW84 is such a gross garbage it's not even a fair match.

EggmaniMN

Banned
May 17, 2020
Birds of Prey was a fun movie with a good cast. Wonder Woman 84 was insulting at every turn.

Sep 28, 2018
Both movies were fine, I've seen WW84 about 4 times and it never gets old. It's a great love story. I think the hate is overblown. Although I did expect way more blockbuster action out of the anticipated sequel, I'm happy with what we got. I'll be able to look back at the film one day and be happy it was made. (Kinda like with BVS) right movie wrong time.

jelly

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
They are both bad films. I guess higher expectations because WB delivered another awesome trailer for WW, BoP never looked good. I really didn't like Birds of Prey, just overly messy even if they tried to do something interesting with Harley, it's so dull and god awful to listen to and look at, the characters could be anyone. WW84 plays it simple and it's maybe not awful for the beginning except how the events happen, I thought the story was half interesting with the wishes but it's a film out of time, why are you making it like an old film and god it goes on forever, just end already.

Last edited:

Ajax125

Nov 15, 2017
I haven't even seen Birds of Prey, yet I already knew it would be Wonder Woman 84.

The amount of hype it had, followed by the fact that it was the sequel to a great first entry didn't help matters. Such a shame they botched it as bad as they did.

Surakian

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Birds of Prey was fun and fantastic. It's good action.

WW84? Not even close to being a good film.

Messofanego

Oct 25, 2017
UK
WW84 was bad, overly long, rapey, and very disappointing.

Birds Of Prey was not panned. It was stylish, fun, and wholesome despite the gore and dark comedy. Ewan McGregor and Margot Robbie were fantastic. There were some really good action sequences, far better executed than many DC and Marvel films.

Cathy Yan did a great job for just her second film.

Nov 2, 2017
Birmingham, AL
I haven't seen it, but I've heard nothing but wonderful things about Bird of Prey. It also didn't exactly have a ton of….hype. Being a "sequel" of sorts to Suicide Squad

Wonder Woman had a LOT of hype being the sequel to the highly successful and loved first movie. And it wasn't very good. So Wonder Woman by far

Epcott

Oct 25, 2017
US, East Coast
I knew what I was going in for with Harley. With WW84, I was still gassed from the "No Man's Land" scene and story... so I was eh... shocked by the outcome 😂

WW84 was the bigger disappointment. Wish it wasn't that bad, but I renounce that wish.
Harley of Prey was actually not too bad.

Ravenwraith

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
They are both pretty bad but I wasn't lead to believe Wonder Woman would be good by the time I had seen it.

thewienke

Oct 25, 2017
Birds of Prey was an aggressively mediocre movie that I mostly forgot about almost immediately.

But come on - WW84 was a hotly anticipated sequel to one of the best comic book movies out there. A good comparison would be Devil May Cry to Devil May Cry 2 or Mortal Kombat 95 to Annihilation. It's going to remembered as one of the all time worst sequels that we all had the misfortune of seeing.

jelly

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
There are many ways to describe Gal Gadot's performance, but I would never call it "solid."

I think most of the time she is solid but you definitely see the wheels turning at points and repetitive to a T cues. There is bad and average actors but they usually have charisma to carry them. It's not why her films are bad though.

Cipher Peon

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I think Birds of Prey is def better than WW84... but I honestly think BoP was more disappointing.

Suicide Squad is one of my favorite movies of all time, and BoP was great, don't get me wrong... but it made a lot of creative choices that I wasn't a fan of, and the entire affair seems very low budget.

Still a great movie tho

ZeoVGM

Oct 25, 2017
Providence, RI
Birds of Prey is an average/above average film with a fun cast.

Wonder Woman 84 is a bad movie and she rapes a man in it.

So I'm going to go with WW84 being more disappointing.

Oct 25, 2017
I was like "Wonder Woman is going to overwhelming win when I see the results. Maybe like an 80-20." And I still got BTFO'd.

Sleve McDichael

Avenger
Oct 28, 2017
The first Wonder Woman movie is, imo, the best DCEU movie to date.
WW84 is one of the worst movies I have ever seen. Right up there with Suicide Squad.

Oct 30, 2017
I didn't expect to like BoP after SS, BvS and JL, so I wasn't surprised when I didn't end up liking it. I liked WW and love the 80s, so obviously WW84 being horrible was way worse.

Deleted member 7148

Oct 25, 2017
I liked Birds of Prey. I didn't like WW84.

Aske

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Canadia
Birds of Prey had a bunch of fun stuff and was enjoyable to watch.

WW84 was an annoying slog to watch and basically every aspect of it was offensive or made no sense.

Quite the opposite!

I don't buy it. I don't believe the woman who directed the first WW could fail to be aware of what an utter turkey the sequel was. One of these days the muzzle will come off, and we'll learn she was forced to make a terrible film by Shia LaBeouf or something.

Billfisto

Oct 30, 2017
Canada
I don't buy it. I don't believe the woman who directed the first WW could fail to be aware of what an utter turkey the sequel was. One of these days the muzzle will come off, and we'll learn she was forced to make a terrible film by Shia LaBeouf or something.

I dunno, from her tweets it legitimately seems like it was entirely her vision and she thought it was good.

I think it's more that someone else wrote the first film and she wrote WW84.