• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Javier

Oct 27, 2017
Chile
I cannot believe that in 2020 an executive though it was a good idea to do a streaming release of such a high profile film limited to ONE country, this guys are the dumbest motherfuckers on earth along Donald Trump.

excelsiorlef

Bad Praxis
Oct 25, 2017
OK, I didn't realize that HBO Max wasn't available outside the US until people pointed it out in this thread...Like, is WB actually run by an AI fed nothing but dumb film and business hottakes from Reddit and 4chan? Because that's the only real way all these dumb decisions they've made recently make any sense.
In Canada they wanted 30$ for a digital rental.

Deleted member 16609

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Harlem, NYC
User Banned (5 Days): Inflammatory Generalization; Prior Bans for Hostility
Fuck Gal Gadot and the rest of ResetERA that supports that racist IDF POS. She lucky her PR took over her social media accounts. Worst person they picked as WW.

Shifty360

Alt-Account
Banned
Sep 3, 2020
Fuck Gal Gadot and the rest of ResetERA that supports that racist IDF POS. She lucky her PR took over her social media accounts. Worst person they picked as WW.

Completely agree. Its insane when I see threads on some things that are important but compared to an ongoing genocide don't matter at all.

But we can't stop the people getting there superhero movies (even shit ones like this)

Deleted member 2802

Community Resetter
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I renounce my wish lol
tenor.gif

Oct 27, 2017
I could have seen this in theatres for about two days before tougher lockdown restrictions were imposed in Scotland. Even if the cinema option hadn't been taken away so quickly, it's extremely unappealing when you are acutely aware that US viewers get a much safer experience delivered to them about a week later.

No early release can compensate for the stupidity of making it the only legitimate distribution in the region. I'd suggest that lessons will be learned from this but I was under the impression that the headline here was already blatantly obvious.

Biske

Nov 11, 2017
If HBO Max was a thing in the UK and I could pay x amount to subscribe to it for a year like Disney does with plus I'd do it just to be able to watch all of their 2021 movies but it doesn't look like that's going to happen. These companies need to learn that the internet is a thing and you can't just put something out in one territory and then expect the rest of the world to just sit patiently and wait around.

Yeah it's super weird not to have global releases at this point

Dis

Oct 27, 2017
Same exact issues that Disney had with the mandolorian in Europe and other places that Disney didn't launch disney+ in and at the same time expected people to wait around while they released the show and people online freaked out about baby yoda etc every week, wasn't there a funny thread on era where someone was shocked that someone openly admitted to seeing it in like France or some shit at their job even though the only way they could was via piracy? I don't remember if it was for that, anyway it sucks that this shit happens but this is the nature of the beast of digital content if you don't also offer some kind of solution for other countries to access something at all, people these days aren't going to wait when it's a few clicks away no matter what anyone else thinks of their decision to do so, actually had a conversation about this kind of issue with my wife the other day, I explained to her that pc piracy was a huge issue in the past and that even though it still is these days, valves outlook helped a lot in bringing more people into actually buying games purely because they admitted the issue isn't always about wanting to pirate shit but an issue with actually giving people a way to do so in their country that's easy. Hopefully going forward if streaming is the way that movies move to fully these companies can plan to release stuff worldwide because if they can't then this issue is sadly going to continue and will be used as a lightning rod reason for not having digital releases earlier.

Puroresu_kid

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
It was ridiculous they didn't just cut a deal with other services around the world.

They could have easily done a deal with Sky in the UK to have a rent option for ÂŁ9.99.

Stop It

Bad Cat
Oct 25, 2017
I saw a German article about it, but Torrentfreak seems to be the original source : https://torrentfreak.com/wonder-wom...pirate-sites-after-early-hbo-premiere-201230/

Not exactly shocking considering Warner didn't offer a solution to watch the film where HBO Max isn't available and the cinemas are closed.
Yeah.

UK is officially cinema only which...well, barely any cinemas are open because most of the country is now in Tier 4 and Cineworld aren't open anyway.

I won't be pirating because it would be doing it for the sake of it and I'll wait for VOD but fuck sake WB well done for excluding most of the UK and some of Europe from this release because of your inability to work out how to launch HBO Max here

Qikz

Oct 25, 2017
If they made it available safely and legally people would buy it most likely. If you don't give people a safe legal way to access things people will go around it.

Karateka

Oct 28, 2017
No matter how good a movie is it is not worth a 30 dollar rental. Movie tickets are 1
14 dollars here and you get a lot more value for the ticket than you do for a rental of a movie in your own house.

Not that I pirated ww1984im just not watching it. Maybe if it came to Blu-ray I'd pick up the Blu-ray, that's what I did for tenet

Plidex

Oct 30, 2017
It's incredible that they release this movie in a service not available globally. They deserve to go broke (I know they won't).

Pancracio17

â–˛ Legend â–˛
Avenger
Oct 29, 2017
They must have expected this, right? It was obvious this was going to happen if you knew HBO Max was only available in the US.

Sande

Oct 25, 2017
They really need to get with the times. Not doing a worldwide release is absurd at this point.

Roxas

The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
Buenos Aires, Argentina
So you're telling me a superhero movie that many places in the world can't officially see, except on movie theaters (and most people have enough self awareness to know going to one of those is still a terrible idea) has been heavily pirated? I'm truly shocked, who could have forseen such a consequence?! Poor WB.

DjDeathCool

Oct 28, 2017
Bismarck, ND
Before this thread likely gets closed because of the piracy discussion... I was wondering if anyone, mods included, can point me to the reasoning behind the piracy discussion rules outlined in the FAQ, if there is any public info on it (like a post or something). I'm interested to know if the rules are a moral stance or one for legal protection.

Edit: Also, more on topic, I could see there being a curve throughout the year... Where more movies launch, the percent of people who pirate the movies dips and the percent of people who get HBO Max increases.

addik

Oct 28, 2017
I know many people who pirated it here actually. HBO Max isn't available here, and theaters are still closed in most places. There is no legal way to watch this film so they just download it.

Luckily, I have an HBO Max account thanks to being enrolled to a US University, which also has a VPN which I can use if I need to access geo-locked material (ideally for school but you know...), so it wasn't such a big issue for me. I know a lot of people who would have paid to see it, but alas, there is no way to give our money to Warner.

Deleted member 3208

Oct 25, 2017
"Piracy is a service problem." - Gabe Newell.

You would think they would have learned it by now, but sadly, they haven't. This is the same situation as the Mandalorian when it first released.

Oct 25, 2017
LOL I would never fuck with HBO when it comes to piracy. They got me twice for torrenting GoT during season 1.

Now where's my mans to tell us how these HUEG numbers are a blessed omen for the Snyder Orthodox Church?

Galkinator

Chicken Chaser
Oct 27, 2017
Releasing a blockbuster DC movie digitally the same, on a platform that is only available in USA(I think?) leads to massive piracy?
Who could've seen that coming

deepFlaw

Knights of Favonius World Tour '21
Oct 25, 2017
Before this thread likely gets closed because of the piracy discussion... I was wondering if anyone, mods included, can point me to the reasoning behind the piracy discussion rules outlined in the FAQ, if there is any public info on it (like a post or something). I'm interested to know if the rules are a moral stance or one for legal protection.

Not sure if there's a formal statement somewhere, but I'm pretty sure it's a bit of both?

Obviously there's a point to discouraging talk of piracy on a forum about the industry that wants to have devs participate in discussions, among other reasons. But there's also areas where the application of the rules can feel so suddenly iffy (ex: anime/manga threads) that it feels like it's more about reasonable plausible deniability for legal trouble.

Either way... I've seen it be applied a little too harshly at times (in that someone was not actually talking about piracy), but largely I feel like when it shows up in a banner, the person probably should have known better than to say what they said.

Platy

Oct 25, 2017
Brazil
"Piracy is a service problem." - Gabe Newell.

You would think they would have learned it by now, but sadly, they haven't. This is the same situation as the Mandalorian when it first released.

This
You release a movie in a service that is not avaliable in India, China, Brazil and other pirate kings of the world and go all surprised when record number of people pirate it

edit: it is even worst than the Mandalorian first season because Disney+ had at least a few "second semester of 2020" placeholder dates for some countries

Last edited:

mreddie

Oct 26, 2017
Yeah, HBO Max isn't even worldwide yet no? Disney+ can get away with it and Netflix can, HBO Max would need to be worldwide in order to pull off this without any piracy or little of it.

DevilMayGuy

Oct 25, 2017
Texas
Those pirates stole fool's gold. Maybe they'll learn to wait for more reviews before wasting their time.

Absolutely shocking that a brand new tentpole cape movie that was only really available in 1 country got heavily pirated.

Br3wnor

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I mean, HBO Max is not available in my country and I'm most certainly not going to a theater with the current situation. There's no legal and safe way to watch it.

Yes there is, you wait for it to be legally released via streaming in your country. The excuse that "it's not available in my country so I had to pirate it!" Is weak, you're not entitled to a movie just because it's out in another territory. If you're gonna be a pirate, own that you're a pirate, don't act like it's justified

thediamondage

Oct 25, 2017
HBO released it day 1 to drive HBO sub numbers. Ideally they would have rolled out HBO to more global locations etc (well ideally released it in theaters first) but you do what you gotta do.

People don't really understand the end game here when they think Warner is nuts. Netflix makes around $20b a year in revenue from subs. Disney+ is catching up. Those numbers eclipse global box office numbers which was around $42b in 2019, but that has to be shared with a ton of companies while streaming revenue is 90% YOUR company. And you don't need to make 90% rottentomatoes to get those numbers. You aren't dependent on fickle movie theater audiences. You just have to pump out enough content so people stay subbed and feel their sub is worth their monthly fee. Its quantity, not quality that drives revenues and profits.

So HBO (and Apple... and Amazon... and Peacock... and everyone else) is racing to entice people to sub to their service, and stay subbed. Netflix and Disney+ are far ahead of everyone else, so everyone else has to do gimmicks. HBO/WB is basically promising one giant blockbuster movie every 30 days, and they figure a ton of people are going to check out HBO Max, and stay subbed for another month to check out the next one. Do that for a year and inertia sets in, people will only unsub if you piss them off or turn off the faucet. They will roll out globally over time, there are all sorts of licensing issues they have to untangle.

At some point someones gonna have to up the ante even more, like giving away free subs for a year to a service or give you free devices etc. Google and Facebook and most movie studios are currently not really in this streaming content market and its a big hole in their revenue streams.