• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Xater

Oct 26, 2017
Germany
Just how unique this release was is best illustrated by comparing the relative interest to some competing titles. On the first full day, nearly 10% of all movie and TV downloads (9.18%) in our sample were for "Wonder Woman 1984". A day later the film still dominated, with 6.26% of all downloads. This translates to millions of downloads on the first two days.

For comparison, the second most popular film of the weekend, "Soul", only managed to secure 2.37% on the first day and 1.98% a day later. Similarly, Avengers: Endgame, the top-grossing film of last year, took 5.63% of all downloads on the first day a high-quality pirate copy was out, and 4.38% a day later.

I saw a German article about it, but Torrentfreak seems to be the original source : https://torrentfreak.com/wonder-wom...pirate-sites-after-early-hbo-premiere-201230/

Not exactly shocking considering Warner didn't offer a solution to watch the film where HBO Max isn't available and the cinemas are closed.

Last edited:

Stalker

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
300px-Surprised_Pikachu_3D.jpg

Jawmuncher

Crisis Dino
Oct 25, 2017
Ibis Island
Reminds me of Game of Thrones. Wasn't that the same case when having the HBO app required the channel and it wasn't released worldwide?
Guess it's just par for the course with that brand.

MarcelloF

Dec 9, 2020
Shocking. It was a dumb plan to make it available digitally in only NA(USA?), while other countries get it in theaters in the middle of a pandemic and lockdowns.

Oct 26, 2017
I saw a German article about it, but Torrentfreak seems to be the original source : https://torrentfreak.com/wonder-wom...pirate-sites-after-early-hbo-premiere-201230/

It exactly shocking considering Warner didn't offer a solution to watch the film where HBO Max isn't available and the cinemas are closed.
Im glad you hit the nail on the head here OP. Absolutely bizarre convenience is the death of piracy, making something not available is pretty inconvenient.

kurahador

Oct 28, 2017
Damn...it's as if releasing it on a platform that isn't available globally like Netflix caused this.

Rosebud

Two Pieces
Apr 16, 2018
How about trying to release it worldwide next time

I have a HBO sub and still no way to watch this legally (not pirating tho, I don't care enough)

Shifty360

Alt-Account
Banned
Sep 3, 2020
User Banned (3 Days): Advocating piracy
Wouldn't waste the bandwidth, unless you are a total fanboy that movie is hot trash.

Gal Gadot praises and supports the ongoing Palestinian genocide so I hope the goddamn thing tanks!

Pirate away if you must watch it.

Oct 25, 2017
Sweden
Much like Disney and the mandalorian S1 it was inevitable, they could have released it on iTunes or something, but yeah... Non global launches for digital media are ridiculous nowadays. Looking forward to when HBOmax becomes available in Europe, the 320p resolution of HBO here has made me hold off on sooo many series for like a decade.

MGPanda

Feb 25, 2018
I mean, HBO Max is not available in my country and I'm most certainly not going to a theater with the current situation. There's no legal and safe way to watch it.

AHA-Lambda

Oct 25, 2017
Well this is what happens when you only put it out on streaming in one country when most cinemas are shut near globally.
Idiots.

iFirez

Oct 25, 2017
England
This will continue with all their films they're choosing to put out on HBOMax until they offer a valid legal solution (aka HBOMax globally) because people will want to see the movies but have no way to see them due to lockdowns and quarantines.

hidys

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
To those who want a day 1 streaming release for all movies this is the exact reason most studios will back the fuck away from that.

Pop-O-Matic

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
OK, I didn't realize that HBO Max wasn't available outside the US until people pointed it out in this thread...Like, is WB actually run by an AI fed nothing but dumb film and business hottakes from Reddit and 4chan? Because that's the only real way all these dumb decisions they've made recently make any sense.

hidys

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
This will continue with all their films they're choosing to put out on HBOMax until they offer a valid legal solution (aka HBOMax globally) because people will want to see the movies but have no way to see them due to lockdowns and quarantines.
Even if there weren't lockdowns etc piracy rates for this movie would still be through the roof simply because they chose a day 1 streaming solution in a single territory.

Asklepios

Oct 28, 2017
United Kingdom
Was going bomb hard anyway if there wasn't a pandemic. They must have anticipated it and just didn't care.

Edit: They have officially greenlit a third film from same team, I just read. So idk wtf is going on. Lol.

Last edited:

Shifty360

Alt-Account
Banned
Sep 3, 2020
I hope her career ends.

I wouldn't lose any sleep.

How contradictory is it that a character built on their dedication to peace and justice for all is played by a right wing Zionist price of shit.

A supporter of an Apartheid state, wonder how many deaths of women and children out on her hands.

Last edited:

The Bookerman

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

Not exactly shocking considering Warner didn't offer a solution to watch the film where HBO Max isn't available and the cinemas are closed.
Well here in canada there is... it'll cost me 30 Canadian Dollars for ONE viewing on Amazon Prime Video Rentals.

Where as in the US, I can pay 15$(20$CDN) for a month, be able to watch the movie and watch A LOT of other things.

Pricing is stupid.

Rosebud

Two Pieces
Apr 16, 2018
To those who want a day 1 streaming release for all movies this is the exact reason most studios will back the fuck away from that.

Not if they release worldwide, like it would be on cinema.

People are already paying for these subs, why would they pirate? Netflix original shows are doing fine.

Musouka

Dec 31, 2017

i mean it's not that bad. It's only 63% higher than Endgame for the first day pirating stats (that could translate into a higher relative percentage if overall interest in Endgame was higher, as one would assume).

Potterson

Oct 28, 2017
I can't bother with torrents, but tbh - the numbers would be lower if they just had HBO Max in all regions. Same thing with Disney+, shitton of people are downloading Mandalorian for example, cause they don't even know if they will ever get the service.

Plasma

Oct 25, 2017
If HBO Max was a thing in the UK and I could pay x amount to subscribe to it for a year like Disney does with plus I'd do it just to be able to watch all of their 2021 movies but it doesn't look like that's going to happen. These companies need to learn that the internet is a thing and you can't just put something out in one territory and then expect the rest of the world to just sit patiently and wait around.

Maximo

Oct 25, 2017
HBO and all its content is exclusive to the major slowly dying Cable Network here in Australia....Pretty much everyone I know Pirates HBO content its insane we can't get HBO Max.

hidys

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
HBO and all its content is exclusive to the major slowly dying Cable Network here in Australia....Pretty much everyone I know Pirates HBO content its insane we can't get HBO Max.
A lot of that stuff has started moving to a service called Binge.
It's a bit expensive and its another streaming service but it's not bad.

Deleted member 15476

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Despite being a new record movie torrenting doesn't feel as prevalent as it used to be. Maybe it's just my warped perception of only using bittorrent for linux iso seeding nowadays.

hidys

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
i mean it's not that bad. It's only 63% higher than Endgame for the first day pirating stats (that could translate into a higher relative percentage if overall interest in Endgame was higher, as one would assume).
The single biggest movie of all time and its beating it by more than half.
Those are insane numbers.

Pop-O-Matic

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Despite being a new record movie torrenting doesn't feel as prevalent as it used to be. Maybe it's just my warped perception of only using bittorrent for linux iso seeding nowadays.
It's because most content is easily available via streaming nowadays, though with shit like this combined with the simple number of streaming services becoming untenable for a lot of folks it's certainly back on the rise.