• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Mortemis

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Eh, this is great, but the visual quality just won't hit the same at 1080p vs 4K HDR. I think I'll wait on it.

Tobor

Oct 25, 2017
Richmond, VA
it's not a movie without popcorn

s-l300.jpg

Enjoy!

Grym

Oct 27, 2017
I just hope they do theater re-releases of these bigger movies once it is actually safe to go see them in the theater.

Mathieran

Oct 25, 2017
The content is certainly there. They just need to expand outside of NA and implement 4k/HDR and they'll be on their way.

ah I didn't realize they didn't have those features. I don't need them or anything, but good to know

I don't know what to give up but I really don't want too many subs at once. My youngest kid loves the kid shows on Netflix too much to give them up, and we have Hulu/Disney bundle. Once mandalorian is done maybe we can drop those two for a while. We don't use Hulu much

Wingfan19

Layout Designer
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Bothell WA
I would not be shocked if WB re-releases this in theatres in June if the vaccine is widely available by April/May to recoup some of their money.

night814

One Winged Slayer
Oct 29, 2017
Pennsylvania
Im guessing they can't afford to hold it indefinitely. Something is gonna have to give.
A few weeks ago i saw Dr. minerva and Cheetah barbie sized dolls in the clearance aisle at Walmart for a few bucks a piece lol. They already lost out on a lot of the merch sales since they've just been sitting around promoting a movie not coming out for a long time.

Mortemis

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Eh, sometimes it depends on the bit rate. I just watched His Dark Materials on Max and it looked far better than most of the 4k HDR content I've seen from Netflix or Prime.
Ok you noticed that too? The first episode of season two looked incredible, I had to double check if they updated to support 4k.

You're right, bit rate matters. It looked better than most Netflix 4k stuff imo. But I was mostly talking about waiting for the UHD Blu-ray. Finally got a UHD player (PS5) and this would be great to see on it. Might just do both though.

Starmud

Oct 27, 2017
One of the movies I was looking forward to getting this type of send off kinda sucks, but that's 2020.

Given the vaccine news the studios have to be feeling bullish on next summer/Christmas. It will be interesting to see what this does for max.

ZeoVGM

Oct 25, 2017
Providence, RI
Pixar movies are around the same level as MCU for the most part, Incredibles 2 wasn't far off Black Panther in box-office even though one was a disappointment and the other was a phenomenon.

I didn't say anything about Pixar movies as a whole. I commented on Soul. It's unlikely that Disney has anything close to the same expectations for Soul as they do for Black Widow (which I think is proven by the streaming release for Soul while Black Widow ended up delayed an entire year to stay as a theatrical-only release as of now).

Your Incredibles point is a bit strange. It is not considered a disappointment. Perhaps you were personally disappointed but the film is at 93% on RottenTomatoes and audiences loved it overall.

Shoeless

Oct 27, 2017
Eh, this is great, but the visual quality just won't hit the same at 1080p vs 4K HDR. I think I'll wait on it.

Agreed. I'm hoping that this means a much smaller window for releasing the 4K disc version. Maybe that'll drop in January or February instead of sometime in late spring or summer.

Pein

Oct 25, 2017
NYC
I'd rather wait for a 4K Blu-ray, hell even a regular Blu-ray. Watching a brand new block buster at some trash bitrate 1080p makes me sick.

Oct 27, 2017
Ok you noticed that too? The first episode of season two looked incredible, I had to double check if they updated to support 4k.

You're right, bit rate matters. It looked better than most Netflix 4k stuff imo. But I was mostly talking about waiting for the UHD Blu-ray. Finally got a UHD player (PS5) and this would be great to see on it. Might just do both though.
Yup. Hell, it even looked brighter than what I've seen out of Netflix most of the time. I had thought they updated as well.

Banderdash

Chicken Chaser
Nov 16, 2017
Australia
And the rest of the world can go fuck itself apparently...

WB did this shit with the Lego movie, and then bitched when Aussies pirated it.

Timbuktu

Oct 25, 2017
I didn't say anything about Pixar movies as a whole. I commented on Soul. It's unlikely that Disney has anything close to the same expectations for Soul as they do for Black Widow (which I think is proven by the streaming release for Soul while Black Widow ended up delayed an entire year to stay as a theatrical-only release as of now).

We can't say for sure what Disney's expectations were, but just looking at the track record, I don't think Soul would be that far off Black Widow in box office if Covid didn't happen.

I think there are other factors in the decision though, like the fact that the animated features pipeline at Disney didn't stop in the last year and you have the likes of Luca and Raya already set to come out, with more movies scheduled after those. There aren't many slots for Soul to move to.

Secondly, putting a family movie like Soul out on Disney+ during Xmas and on the tail of Mandalorian is sure to get subscribers like Hamilton did. Why would Disney put Black Widow on Disney+ when the subscribers it might get are already covered by Wandavision and the other MCU shows in the pipeline? Thirdly, given how MCU things are interconnected, it's hard to knoW how all those releases have to line up.

Aske

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Canadia
I hope this means the 4K Blu-ray release will follow very swifty. I'll watch it at whatever quality it's streamed, but if I could buy the disc day one I would. I can't even pre-order yet. Selling the disc wouldn't promote HBO Max of course, but they're missing out on sales from those of us who want the best qualiy without having to wait. A huge percentage of those people will stream the movie and end up skipping the disc altogether.

But they really screwed up by not making the movie available digitally worldwide; or at least in more territories outside the States than zero. They've had years to figure this out. You don't get to complain about revenue lost to piracy if you don't bother sorting out your worldwide distribution deals before you drop the film: if those sales were important to you, you'd delay the release.

Aske

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Canadia
Love how everybody turns into an armchair economist when these things get announced. See also: Game Pass.

You don't need to be much of an economist to realize that you can't make money from people if you don't allow them to give it to you. Obviously they're banking on these losses being offset by the potential retention rate of new HBO Max subscribers in the US, but ignoring the international market altogether in a universe in which streamed video content can and will be captured and distributed for free will lose them an absurd amount of money.

Erik Zarkov

Dec 4, 2017
Hoping it comes out in theaters over here. Even though it's safe here, hasn't been anything I'm interested in going to see.