• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

cyba89

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
This is how theaters die. Goodbye, old friends.

This movie is a one-time write off for the studio in an unprecedented situation to boost subscriber numbers.
It's not a sustainable business model that makes any sense the moment theatres are widely open and safe again.

petethepanda

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Oct 25, 2017
chicago
Damn. Certainly a hell of a subscription seller for HBO Max, but even then, I'm surprised they went that route. Cool.

Mariolee

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
This may be a very clever fake. If you look at the link in Wario64's tweet, it goes here

See the period between WarnerBros and Pictures?

Below is the link to Warner Bros' official channel (URL doesn't contain a period for the User)

www.youtube.com

Warner Bros. Pictures

Welcome to the official channel for Warner Bros. Pictures. Subscribe now for all our latest movie trailers, clips and featurettes!

Oh double shit

Prompto

Oct 25, 2017
This may be a very clever fake. If you look at the link in Wario64's tweet, it goes here

Below is the link to Warner Bros' official channel (URL doesn't contain a period for the User)

www.youtube.com

Warner Bros. Pictures

Welcome to the official channel for Warner Bros. Pictures. Subscribe now for all our latest movie trailers, clips and featurettes!
Welp

Blader

Oct 27, 2017

www.youtube.com

Warner Bros. Pictures

Certainly strange that none of the trades have reported on this yet!

OP
OP

Dyl

Oct 27, 2017

Below is the link to Warner Bros' official channel.

www.youtube.com

Warner Bros. Pictures

Nah I still have the tab open from before it was taken down:

sTsya5U.png

Lone

Mar 6, 2019
Los Angeles, CA

www.youtube.com

Warner Bros. Pictures

It's legitimate.

The TOM AND JERRY trailer links to the same URL including the period:

www.youtube.com

TOM & JERRY - Official Trailer

Tom and Jerry take their cat-and-mouse game to the big screen. Watch the trailer for the new #TomAndJerryMovie now – coming to theaters 2021.One of the most ...

MrPink

Oct 27, 2017

Timbuktu

Oct 25, 2017
Not the same situation though. Soul is not meant to bring in cash like Black Widow and Soul released in the middle of the pandemic.

Pixar movies are around the same level as MCU for the most part, Incredibles 2 wasn't far off Black Panther in box-office even though one was a disappointment and the other was a phenomenon. And I expected Black Widow to be a middling MCU movie. Disney isn't using a Pixar movie to 'test the waters' for Black Widow.

As I said before though, these seem like one off moves to give their streaming numbers a boost.

Oct 25, 2017
Pixar movies are around the same level as MCU for the most part, Incredibles 2 wasn't far off Black Panther in box-office even though one was a disappointment and the other was a phenomenon. And I expected Black Widow to be a middling MCU movie. Disney isn't using a Pixar movie to 'test the waters' for Black Widow.

As I said before though, these seem like one off moves to give their streaming numbers a boost.
incredibles 2 and soul are two completely different properties that would probably have a $1b gross gap between them

Wingfan19

Layout Designer
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Bothell WA
Well I can't imagine it'd be free on HBO Max. They need people to pay for this.

EDIT - Where are people seeing at no extra cost?

EDIT 2 - Oh, in the image in the OP, duh. I still find that hard to believe.

FaceHugger

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
USA
Wow. It makes me wonder if things will ever be the same in regards to movies and theaters. I used to think theaters would bounce back in some form, but if more and more studios are fine with this, then consumers are going to expect it to be the norm.

ZeeAyKay

Oct 25, 2017
Do they really have no timeline for adding 4K HDR? It's crazy that they launched a new platform with MAX and still didn't include it.

hipsterpants

Oct 25, 2017
this is obviously to boost MAX #s which are waaaay weaker than they want

but even still, who the fuck knows when theaters will be "safe" (maybe summer?) and the gross ceilings are likely permanently damaged

also nobody is gonna want to be TENET 2 and release the film too early, that's gonna be a fun game of chicken to watch

Deleted member 1105

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
That's awesome. It's a shame that HBO Max isn't doing 4K/HDR... I hope they get with the program soon enough.

OP
OP

Dyl

Oct 27, 2017
Well I can't imagine it'd be free on HBO Max. They need people to pay for this.

EDIT - Where are people seeing at no extra cost?
I haven't read the articles yet, but the privatized video said at no extra cost for US subscribers in both the ending splash screen and in the description (see OP).

bastardly

Nov 8, 2017
its a nice gift, but man they could easily go down Mulan's route, and even at like 10bucks, thats a deal most people would jump on. a lot of money theyre leaving behind but good luck to them

Seesaw15

Oct 27, 2017
incredibles 2 and soul are two completely different properties that would probably have a $1b gross gap between them
(If good) Soul would be right up there with Inside Out/Coco as far as potential earnings go( Both made over 800 million). Plus its a Pixar movie with a black lead. I know a ton of people who would have come out to support that who don't usually see animated films.

Xando

Oct 28, 2017
Cinemas are currently closed in most of europe so it will be interesting to see what they do.

I know Warner in germany has a deal with Sky so maybe they'll release it there