• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

vixolus

Prophet of Truth
Sep 22, 2020
Hopefully this movie doesn't shit the bed in the third act like the OG. I'm not gonna read any reviews bc spoilers.

dr.rocktopus

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Hoping it's available at midnight on-demand on the 25th! Couldn't find any specific information on release time for Canada...

JayCB64

Oct 25, 2017
Wales
Sounds neat, no real way to watch this legally where I am though so it does feel a little..muted..compared to normal superhero movie launches. A real bummer. Glad the non-Snyder DCEU keeps winning either way.

So why is this thread not blowing up? DC getting positive reviews?

Some sort of Disney conspiracy probably. They don't pay the shills when it's good. Or some such bollocks.

Nikus

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I'm gonna be that guy. This is not "irony".
Alright, so what is the right word then?
Is it really just coincidence? English needs a better word for something like that.
It's just appropriate. Serendipitious. Coincidence. All work. Irony ain't it.

It's a correct use. Always has been. It's also correct in the Alanis Morissette song. That's what is called situational irony, and yes, it can relate to coincidence. It's literally explained in every dictionary avaible, you can check them out.

K7gdN44.png

The fact that people still try to "gotcha" others on this without knowing themselves how the word is used is... ironic.

FarronFox

Oct 27, 2017
Melbourne, Australia
Curious how people without HBO support in their country can watch this... My country has gone full lockdown so Cinemas are also closed :/

Well cinemas are open in Australia. None are closed.

Movie opens here on December 26 with tickets already on sale. There are some special event screenings on December 23 though but I wasnt able to get tickets in time so will be seeing it December 26.

dglavimans

Nov 13, 2019
Well cinemas are open in Australia. None are closed.

Movie opens here on December 26 with tickets already on sale. There are some special event screenings on December 23 though but I wasnt able to get tickets in time so will be seeing it December 26.
That is good to hear :) Would have loved to have seen it in cinemas but we are locked till at least mid januari and also no HBO Max..

HanzSnubSnub

Oct 27, 2017
Sounds like another good movie, I'm hyped! As someone who loved Wonder Women, Aquaman, and Shazam, I'm excited we finally have a sequel that delivers!

dep9000

Banned
Mar 31, 2020
Wonder Woman is the only DC movie I've liked so I'm looking forward to this one. It'll be nice to have a new movie to watch on Christmas!

Arkestry

Oct 26, 2017
London
It's a correct use. Always has been. It's also correct in the Alanis Morissette song. That's what is called situational irony, and yes, it can relate to coincidence. It's literally explained in every dictionary avaible, you can check them out.

K7gdN44.png

The fact that people still try to "gotcha" others on this without knowing themselves how the word is used is... ironic.
That definition isn't present in the Cambridge Dictionary. It's not on the Merriam Webster website. It's not on the Collins website either. Just because something is incorrectly used enough to be included as a definition doesn't mean it's correct.

kmfdmpig

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
The writer of this review is a good writer but this review seemed more like an essay on her thoughts of a genre as a whole, thoughts she clearly has had for awhile, and just found WW84 as a useful device in which to air said thoughts. Didn't much care for it nor did I care for the lack of spoiler warnings.
Yes, when she writes " The disappointing sequel highlights not only the dire state of the live-action superhero genre in film, but the dire state of Hollywood filmmaking as a whole." I'd say that she's out of alignment with the vast majority of people interested in this movie to begin with. That doesn't mean she's wrong, but I suspect most people interested in WW84 wouldn't agree with the idea that live-action superhero films are in a dire state.

Arc

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I hope it's better than the first. Era really hyped that one up and it was pretty mediocre...

Wingfan19

Layout Designer
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Bothell WA
Man, it's been almost a full day and the review count still hasn't hit 80. Usually we're at well over 100 reviews 8 hours later.

Oneiros

Oct 27, 2017
The first movie was pretty good and it sounds like this one is also pretty good. I'll watch it if I ever get HBO Max.

Penguin

The Mushroom Kingdom Knight
Oct 25, 2017
New York
Also if Wonder Woman 84 continues its current path (and so far no reason to think it won't)

Means the DCEU will finally hit a point where more Fresh (Wonder Woman, Aquaman, Shazam, Birds of Prey and WW 84) than Rotten (Man of Steel, Batman v Superman, Suicide Squad, Justice League) films.

Jun 20, 2018
Really hoping they can arrange some sort of streaming deal in the UK. Cinemas in Wales have been closed for 2 weeks and will not open for at least 3 more weeks. In reality, they'll probably remain closed to the end of January at the earliest.

nib95

Contains No Misinformation on Philly Cheesesteaks
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Wasn't particularly keen on the first one, but from the trailers this one looks like it could be a great time. Solid reviews all around, will definitely check it out at some point.

Soap

Oct 27, 2017
They need to release this fir streaming in the U.K. ASAP. Going to guess we are going to see lockdowns post Christmas, so I have no idea who they think are going to the cinema (especially because cineworld is closed)

Peru

Oct 26, 2017
The first movie's final act was not bad, it was in many ways what made it great. Sure, in isolation, the fight against Aries was fairly standard, a cgi boxing match, but everything surrounding it and the context made it feel meaningful. As she was fighting Ares she was also fighting her preconceptions of humanity, and coming to terms with what made them go to war, and how a bad guy alone could not be the only reason, and beating Ares would not solve the problem -- meanwhile her beau is up in the plane showing selfless sacrifice as he storms to certain death. It brings all the themes of the movie and Diana as a character together in one moment.

Reminder that Gal Gadot supports the IDF.

She made some shady comments years ago, sympathetic of soldiers in the IDF, that were not good but fairly expected from someone who served in the IDF. She's since, among other things, backed Natalie Portman when she was attacked for boycotting Israel, which is about as progressive you can hope from an Israeli actor.

Loud Wrong

Feb 24, 2020
Sounds good. I'd never go to the theater to see it, but if they're going to include it with my HBO sub, I'll definitely watch it at some point. That point being when HBO finally goes 4K.

Timbuktu

Oct 25, 2017
They need to release this fir streaming in the U.K. ASAP. Going to guess we are going to see lockdowns post Christmas, so I have no idea who they think are going to the cinema (especially because cineworld is closed)

Even if it comes to streaming, it will be on Sky and be ridiculously expensive or you would have to watch it 720p on Now. I don't know why the Drive-Ins around me aren't getting this movie, they are the only ones still open.

HStallion

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
In regards to how slow this thread has been moving compared to other cape films I do wonder if the streaming release model might mute the hype for a lot of movies near release.

SilverX

Jan 21, 2018
WW was pretty drab. The lighter moments were conflicting and being muted constantly with the overall atmosphere and setting, and it was like the entire film built itself towards resting on the somewhat silly final battle with Ares. There were some sharp moments here and there, but I don't think it amounts to all the praise the film got.

Still one of the stronger DCU films, but thats not much when they have been struggling so much in recent years