• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

TimeFire

Avenger
Nov 26, 2017
Brazil
I never knew 2020 would give us two movies featuring terrible CGI cat people

edit: damn cats was last year disregard this joke

Seneset

Oct 27, 2017
Limbus Patrum
Why did they use Lord anyway?

They could have changed a few things around and had Circe be the big bad.

That way they wouldn't have had to shoe horn in Cheetah.

When I first saw Barbara I thought that's what they were doing i.e. a reworking of the Circe arc where she makes herself into a blonde with glasses and becomes one of Diana's better/best friends. I was totally prepared for her to be a slow burn character that would be villain in the 3rd film and then they gave her super strength and said Barbara's last name was Minerva....

Gorillaz

Oct 25, 2017
Also to add im fucking done with the 80s love affair. I know they aren't done but I can't believe how fast hollywood ran this shit into the ground for me

spootime

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Also I'm 100% Team Barbara. Yeah she wanted to hold on to some superpowers after being bullied her entire life and then sexually assaulted, can't blame her. Thankfully they explored that aspect by turning her into a cat person and then electrocuting her.

Also to add im fucking done with the 80s love affair. I know they aren't done but I can't believe how fast hollywood ran this shit into the ground for me
Cannot agree more, it's so bad.

Nairume

SaGa Sage
Oct 25, 2017
In retrospect, that 11 minute flashback that opened the film hilariously didn't actually meld well with what the rest of the movie was doing/saying.

Kaneda

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
I liked the first one despite the ending. This was terrible, the plot was ridiculous.

H.Cornerstone

Oct 27, 2017
Just finished watching it, don't think it's great, but also don't think it's horrible, it's another just there movie, like Aquaman.

Aztechnology

Community Resettler
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Just finished it. I thought it was to be generous. A poor film. There's some funny moments with Pine. Overall Pedro Pascal did a great job. But the film was really not good.

The first film was actually better.

RetroGameGuy

Jun 11, 2020
Movie was a disappointment considering how much I enjoyed the first one. I hated that
people could just renounce a wish
like Michael Scott declaring bankruptcy. The CGI was laughable and WW looked like Dot Matrix from Spaceballs in her gold suit. Hopefully the next entry I'm the series gets things back on track.

DrEvil

Developer
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Canada
Yeah this wasn't great.

the pine / gadot scenes early on were charming and good, but anything after the smithsonian was just plain awful.

Nairume

SaGa Sage
Oct 25, 2017
I don't mind the 80s aesthetic when it's done well and warrants it

This really neither needed it for the story it was telling not did it really do the setting well (I know it's an incredibly pretty complaint, but it was weird to see the arcade at the beginning be full of games that weren't out in 84)

mugurumakensei

Elizabeth, I’m coming to join you!
Oct 25, 2017
Then Lord is disqualified because everytime he grants a wish he amasses a personal army that shoots at our hero. The weak dude that has henchmen do all his fighting isn't novel. Lord is basically just a magic bond villain.

except he doesn't do that for the most part barring one chase sequence and during the 3rd act he definitely doesn't do that whereas all of marvels movies are so formulaic to the point that there will always be hordes vs hordes taking up the 3rd act

Ignatz Mouse

Oct 27, 2017
Plot sloppiness aside, I enjoyed it. It would have been a lot better if it clarified the rules of the stone earlier (and stayed consistent) and how Lord was rules lawyering it (which was a clever notion, but way confusing at first)

Zom

Oct 25, 2017
At first i was really dig in it, then the corniness was just too much, and then they fucking double down on it, and then the end, meh.

Templeusox

Oct 25, 2017
I don't mind the 80s aesthetic when it's done well and warrants it

This really neither needed it for the story it was telling not did it really do the setting well (I know it's an incredibly pretty complaint, but it was weird to see the arcade at the beginning be full of games that weren't out in 84)
That would be petty if 1984 wasn't actually part of the title. But if the year is so important at least maintain some factually accurate details (especially since the arcades are so easy to fact check).

Billfisto

Oct 30, 2017
Canada
So, does everyone just agree to never bring up the fact that the entire world inexplicably descended into anarchy and was on the brink of nuclear war?

TimeFire

Avenger
Nov 26, 2017
Brazil
I'm almost convinced this only takes place in the 80's so that the obvious "where the hell is superman" question has an easy answer

DrEvil

Developer
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Canada
So, does everyone just agree to never bring up the fact that the entire world inexplicably descended into anarchy and was on the brink of nuclear war?

what about all the protesters who likely voted for Nukes to vanish? Or world peace?? how does the wishing stone deal with conflicting wi— oh no, I've gone cross eyed.

I also have a hard time understanding Wiig's motivations for joining mando at the White House, other then potentially being infatuated with him somehow? Her reason for turning into a villain is blurry there.

greekwolf

Oct 28, 2017
I really enjoyed the first film and pretty much consider it to be the best female superhero movie of all time.

Just finished watching WW84 with the fam, and we were all a bit disappointed. It's like going from the masterpiece of the LotR trilogy to the Hobbit films. Wonder Woman should never be boring.

bye

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Phoenix, AZ
This was one of the worst movies ive ever had the displeasure of watching, full stop. I know critics are afraid to totally lash this movie because of reasons, but it really does deserve 15% on RT.

mugurumakensei

Elizabeth, I’m coming to join you!
Oct 25, 2017
what about all the protesters who likely voted for Nukes to vanish? Or world peace?? how does the wishing stone deal with conflicting wi— oh no, I've gone cross eyed.

I also have a hard time understanding Wiig's motivations for joining mando at the White House, other then potentially being infatuated with him somehow? Her reason for turning into a villain is blurry there.
How is it blurry? It's pretty simple to follow. The price of her power was her kindness. So she's left only with the part of her that has envy of Diana and wants to keep her super strength, speed, and durability along with good looks.

Wingfan19

Layout Designer
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Bothell WA
I think that can be explained that since she essentially gave up her humanity, she wanted to keep the new persona at all costs which is why she was protecting Lord. Also, he did give her the time of day earlier in the movie (albeit under false pretenses). I took it as the longer she was under the influence of the wish, the more it corrupted her.

TSM

Oct 27, 2017
The movie did miss a trick though. If WW was losing her powers shouldn't she be turning into a block of clay? That would have made the movie even more amazing in my eyes.

Billfisto

Oct 30, 2017
Canada
I'm almost convinced this only takes place in the 80's so that the obvious "where the hell is superman" question has an easy answer

The movie taking place in the 80's would have been more thematically appropriate if they'd focused on the "greed" aspect of wishes instead of going in a weird "truth vs. lies" direction.

Apart from some fashion jokes, it could have been set in any period with no issue.

Ignatz Mouse

Oct 27, 2017

Lord was picking the wishes to grant, I thought.

And Barbara joined him because she wanted to protect him and keep her power.

Seneset

Oct 27, 2017
Limbus Patrum

Her motivation is to stop Diana, because she believes if Wiig is stopped she'll lose all the powers she's gained. Why she's there bothers me less than how she knew where to go. The whole wishes thing counter-acting does bother me but I tried not to think too hard so my head wouldn't hurt.

kai3345

Oct 25, 2017
I think that can be explained that since she essentially gave up her humanity, she wanted to keep the new persona at all costs which is why she was protecting Lord. Also, he did give her the time of day earlier in the movie (albeit under false pretenses). I took it as the longer she was under the influence of the wish, the more it corrupted her.
I think she literally just didn't want him to die so she could keep her powers. She and Diana had the phone call where they determined that the only way to reverse the spell was to destroy the stone (Max) or renounce the wish. So if Diana had killed Max, Kristen Wiig would lose her powers. So that's why she protects him.

jph139

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Lord was picking the wishes to grant, I thought.

And Barbara joined him because she wanted to protect him and keep her power.

Yeah, he can pick and choose what he grants, and what he takes from people - living monkey paw. Like, when he son is making wishes, but they're not what he's trying to make him say, so he doesn't grant them. Otherwise the movie would be over pretty quick - you can just have Steve grab him and go "I wish that Maxwell Lord never had the power to grant wishes" and everything fixes itself immediately.

Like, it makes sense and is as consistent as "magic wishing rock" can really be.

UnluckyKate

Oct 25, 2017
Pedro Pascal is having the time of his life

Some other very obvious shots designed in screen play for marketing material ending up terribly edited into the movie.

ZedLilIndPum

Oct 27, 2017
Ok....I liked it, but it was an ODD movie. Very cartoony feel. Do not, I repeat, DO NOT play the drinking game where you take a shot when someone says "wish".

CloudWolf

Oct 26, 2017
"This stone was made by an evil trickster God and has destroyed countless of civilizations"
"Sounds bad, so how do we stop it"
"You have to destroy the stone or everybody just has to say they are super sorry and that will solve it I guess."

Did the "I wish for a coffe guy" ever renounce his wish, though?

Seneset

Oct 27, 2017
Limbus Patrum
Also if Diana could fly in the 80's why did she never do it in BvS or JL?
I think it's less flying and more of a superior Batman's cape glide without the cape. After all why would she need to swing off the lightning if she can fly? The whole sequence was just odd in hindsight. Then again she did move a bit faster when she did the Superman 1 arm pose.