• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

vypek

Oct 25, 2017
I thought Pedro was great, Pine and Wiig were good, Gadot was serviceable, and the rest was a hot trash fire. Even in the pantheon of "don't think too hard about it, it's a popcorn flick" films, this one was so overdone in spots and busted its internal logic in so many places that I could never get into a groove and just go along for the ride. Add in some jank CGI and the creepy, rapey way they put Pine back in, and it's like a 3/10 for me, or a 4 at best.

Not to get too deep into the nitpicking weeds, but can anyone explain what the hell the kid's "I wish for your greatness" either a) got him or b) cost him? There are a bunch of holes you can poke in the wishing mechanic, but that's the one that confuses me the most.
I've been wondering about that too and can't figure it out. Also I thought he wished his dad back when he saw him on TV and yet it didn't seem to activate. And the wish mechanic seemed liked it was one per person but that doesn't seem to be it either. The wishing mechanic just seems off to me altogether.

Pandora012

Oct 25, 2017
Sooo looks like im in the minority here, but gotta say i loved the movie. Has some issues, but overall, it was a joy to watch.

Last edited:

THErest

Oct 25, 2017
I thought Pedro was great, Pine and Wiig were good, Gadot was serviceable, and the rest was a hot trash fire. Even in the pantheon of "don't think too hard about it, it's a popcorn flick" films, this one was so overdone in spots and busted its internal logic in so many places that I could never get into a groove and just go along for the ride. Add in some jank CGI and the creepy, rapey way they put Pine back in, and it's like a 3/10 for me, or a 4 at best.

Not to get too deep into the nitpicking weeds, but can anyone explain what the hell the kid's "I wish for your greatness" either a) got him or b) cost him? There are a bunch of holes you can poke in the wishing mechanic, but that's the one that confuses me the most.
I've been wondering about that too and can't figure it out. Also I thought he wished his dad back when he saw him on TV and yet it didn't seem to activate. And the wish mechanic seemed liked it was one per person but that doesn't seem to be it either. The wishing mechanic just seems off to me altogether.

The kid didn't gain anything for himself for his wish, he just sort of added to Lord's success, like when the other dude wished for the plot to work out for Lord. I suppose it can be surmised that the kid's price was his father, in a sense.

Wishing him back didn't work because the kid already used his one wish.

Tansut

One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Dec 16, 2017
I wanted to say this is the Thor 2: The Dark World of the DCEU, but I feel bad putting down The Dark World that much.

What a profoundly terrible movie.

SteveMeister

Oct 31, 2017
Super campy. Reminded me a lot of the Reeves Superman movies. Not as good as the first one, but not bad. Enjoyed the mid-credits scene.

vypek

Oct 25, 2017
The kid didn't gain anything for himself for his wish, he just sort of added to Lord's success, like when the other dude wished for the plot to work out for Lord. I suppose it can be surmised that the kid's price was his father, in a sense.

Ah okay. That makes sense with adding to his dad and sort of losing his dad completely then. So for the one wish thing, I guess Cheetah got two because one came from the stone and the other came from Max

maigret

Jun 28, 2018
Was anyone else hella surprised when they snuck in...

John Murphy's Adiago in D Minor when Diana got her powers back?

I noticed this as well and got all tingly. I think this was the best part of the movie, not quite as good as the No Man's Land sequence from the first movie but definitely hit the same spot for me emotionally.

Also I I can't help myself, but I could not stop thinking about:

Kaneda, what do you see? Kaneda! KANEDA!!!

Lotus

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Omg y'all were not kidding about this movie being long af

Entirely this. The MCU really hasn't shown it knows how it wants to use Brie, despite the fact that I think the story in Captain Marvel is genuinely good. But the story fundamentally doesn't give her room to move as an actor.

Gal is best (atleast in her solo movie) when she's playing sincere, but she's not inherently great as an actress. But she is good in that role.

She's only been in two movies, with one of them having her play an amnesiac that's been told to suppress her emotions for a large part of it, while the other was filmed back to back with Infinity War before her solo movie even started production. I'm not really worried about her in the long term. That said I already liked the movie and her character a lot regardless, so meh lol

Crazyorloco

Dec 12, 2017
Certainly not as good as the first one, but not bad.

7 or 8 out of 10 for me.

It certainly captures the 80s movie vibe and I loved that.

gundamkyoukai

Oct 25, 2017
I thought first one was okay but this huge step down from even from that .
Nothing about the movie really work and it just feels slap together .
Then there is the bad CG , cheap ending etc etc i could go on .

NookSports

Oct 27, 2017
Add me in to those who liked it.
I loved the scene where Diana learns to "fly," because of the character development it entailed

ryseing

Bought courtside tickets just to read a book.
Oct 25, 2017
For lovers
It's really not good and needed to be cut by a half hour at least.

Thing is, I liked the idea of Pedro Pascal basically playing a "greed is good" manifestation of the 80s! That's a great idea to build a film around! Something about it just doesn't quite work though.

Oct 25, 2017
This was basically a love story with little action and when they did have action, it wasn't impactful like the first movie. SOOO many times I've cringed watching this. Pedro and Chris were the best things about this film, but Pedro fell apart in the 3rd act for me when he was really good early on.

I am surprised Patty made this story and THOUGHT it would click. The first Wonder Woman movie was a masterpiece compared to this. At least it looked good visually.

Mirado

Jul 7, 2020

Yeah, again with the caveat that this is clearly a MST3K mantra movie ("if you're wondering how he eats and breathes, and other science facts, repeat to yourself 'it's just a show, I should really just relax'"), the whole wishing thing is pretty all over the place.

It's clear that the movie intends for you to believe it's one wish per person. Pedro grabs a guy and makes a joke about how he can't use him because all the interns already wished for Porsches, for example. But he kinda just gives Wiig more Cheetah powers because he feels generous, which I guess he can do because he's the stone? Maybe?

But a lot of other things don't work with the wishing mechanic, either. I'm pretty sure the movie tells us that the only way to defeat the stone is to either kill Pedro or have everybody give up their wish, but a lot of people clearly wished for people to die, who also made wishes before they croaked. Even if we discount the obvious fact that there's no way absolutely everyone on the planet would give up their wish, what about the dead people? They'd have to be brought back to life, told what was going on, and THEN give up their wish. Unless Pedro giving up his wish totally negates everyone else, in which case I'm not sure why they wasted their time showing a montage of everyone doing just that.

Also Pedro gets force powers, or something, but the end was kind of a big blur so once again, "I should really just relax."

But I thought they made it clear his wish was to get all of his dad's success for himself? Pedro was full on "everything the light touches is yours" and the kid said "ok, then I wish it was mine", right? Plus we already had a scene right before about him blowing off father-son weekend because he's a shit dad, and doesn't Pedro get to choose what to take when someone makes a wish because that's what he did with everyone else? Why would he choose "okay, but you get an even shittier dad" as the price?

Plus I thought the price for Pedro's wish was to lose the one thing he cared about, so his son, but...okay, that's enough, I give up. This movie doesn't require this much scrutiny.

RyougaSaotome

Oct 25, 2017
Too long, poor action, and they did nothing with the setting IMO.

I liked the first one a decent bit despite my not liking Godot in general, but this was a major step down and ultimately felt kind of pointless somehow.

vhoanox

Oct 25, 2017
Vietnam
The reaction ( or overreacted ) is kind of understanding because first of all this is a $200m superhero movie . In the year that completely absent of MCU of any kind, WW1984 is undoubtedly the biggest most anticipated movie of the year. It only could go either way, the best or the worst.

Aly

Oct 27, 2017
Wow. All those who wanted the opposite of a Synder DC movie, are you happy now? Be careful what you wish for...

But I just wanted a good movie. Is that really asking for much? They've done it before with the 1st Wonder Woman and Shazam. Both are better than any of Snyder's DC movies imo.

Real

Oct 28, 2017
Why is the pacing of this movie so weird? The desert chase scene where they just so happen to pass his Carvan is so bad.

I'm halfway through this joint and I don't think I'm gonna make it.

Pancoar

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Sooo looks like im in the minority here, but gotta say i loved the movie. Has some issues, but overall, it was a joy to watch.
Yep, I'm with you. Just finished it and I thoroughly enjoyed it. I'm also the sappest sap that ever did sap and
actually got teary eyed when Diana had to say goodbye to Steve again.
I'm too easy. ;(

jman0625

One Winged Slayer
Dec 18, 2017
So... haven't looked at the thread since the first reviews came out... that was super disappointing. My gf and I are still confused on what Maxwell Lord was trying to do and how Kristen Wig got furry. Also they way they brought Steve back was even lamer than how I thought they would, and him leaving garnered no emotion other than cackling laughter when he said "I love you Diana" offscreen... also why can she just fly when she couldn't in Justice League??

Tribal24

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Yeh that was meh, worst then Thor 2 and that's my least favorite Marvel movie. This movie was not needed at all, I thought wiig could save it

PRrambo_

PlayStation.jif
Oct 25, 2017
I don't think it was anywhere near as boring as Thor the dark world, its not even bad just dissapointingly mediocre after such a stellar debut in the first movie.

maigret

Jun 28, 2018
I addressed your complaints with the "movie is just having fun". Your entire list reads like a cinema sins take down video. Not discounting that has a valid way to view the movie mind you but I didn't care about any of that stuff. This entire film was "what if you had just 1 more day with someone you lost" that was the focal theme of the story and I mean if it doesn't resonate that's fine. For me , it did. I'm clearly in a growing minority of WW84 fans , especially those that liked it even more than the first (which I also really loved). Ham and Cheese dinner doesn't bother me at all.

I mean just how much ham and cheese you might ask ? let me put it this way. I re-watched the 4 older batman movies over the last few years and the one I ended up enjoying the most ? Batman and Robin. Is it "bad" ? yeah probably. But I don't care if a movie is bad anymore, I just want to have a good time with it and WW84 gave me that. For a lot of other people , clearly, it did not. Most people wouldn't bother to re-evaluate Batman and Robin in 2020 because in 1997 it felt like the worst thing ever but ... .here's another surprise I learned re-watching those movies. They are ALL hokey as hell in different ways. They're arguably at their best when they take themselves the least seriously.

I didn't do this earlier but as others have - my "bad taste/liker of ham and cheese" list of the recent (man of steel +) DCCU films :

Enjoyable - Wonder Woman, WW84, Shazam, Birds of Prey
boring- Man of Steel
Crap - Batman V Superman, Suicide Squad

unseen - Justice League , Aquaman

** can I just add one last little note here - I think not having superhero movies this entire year (outside of birds of prey I suppose) has made all of us a bit stir crazy ? we haven't been able to have a good ole fashioned internet dogpile one way or another in a long ass time so I think we're collectively pouring it all into this. Wonder if it'll continue when Black Widow inevitably comes to disney plus for 30$ and isn't 10/10 amazing either....

You definitely ought to check out Aquaman, that's the good kind of cheese. Only problem is you have to tolerate Amber Heard for a good portion of the movie.

mugurumakensei

Elizabeth, I’m coming to join you!
Oct 25, 2017
So... haven't looked at the thread since the first reviews came out... that was super disappointing. My gf and I are still confused on what Maxwell Lord was trying to do and how Kristen Wig got furry. Also they way they brought Steve back was even lamer than how I thought they would, and him leaving garnered no emotion other than cackling laughter when he said "I love you Diana" offscreen... also why can she just fly when she couldn't in Justice League??
Uh, these seemed fairly obvious.

Maxwell Lord wanted to become ruler of the world without the side effects so needed others to wish so he can replace what failed inside of him.
Barbara wanted to become an apex predator and unlike anyone else. So, she literally took on aspects of one nature's apex predators (a cheetah) because all these wishes are all monkey paw and have to be precise.
In Batman v Superman, it wasn't immediately obvious if she could fly or not and who knows maybe she does in Snyder's JL.

Khezu

Oct 25, 2017
That was a really bad movie.

I had so many tiny nitpicks through out the movie, but even ignoring that, it was just a whole lot of nothing.
Maxwell Lord was neat, and I liked the gimmick of him stealing peoples wishes, and Pine was always good.

It was just bad, so many weird plot decisions that were distractingly stupid, that could have easily been solved with a second pass.

Good ideas, but terrible execution.

Starphanluke

▲ Legend ▲
Nov 15, 2017
Y'know, I've been likening this to Raimi Spider-Man movies all night, but it also super reminds me of Reeves Superman movies in a way. I just get those vibes.

Movie has issues, of course, and I don't like it as much as the first one, but it landed for me overall. Pascal and Gadot are fantastic. Pacing is definitely my biggest gripe. Also:

I'm a bit bummed out we didn't get proper resolution between WW and the cheetah lady. Is that supposed to be a sequel hook or something.

Yep, I'm with you. Just finished it and I thoroughly enjoyed it. I'm also the sappest sap that ever did sap and
actually got teary eyed when Diana had to say goodbye to Steve again.
I'm too easy. ;(

That scene fucking WRECKED my sister and I. Holy hell.

I'm so used to these over-dramatic goodbyes, so the way Diana just rips the bandaid off and books it out of there (while still clearly emotional) somehow made it even more emotional. Felt much more true to those situations in real life.

Deleted member 17388

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I think people are misremembering why "Thor 2 The Dark World" became a meme around these parts.

It was less about its raw quality, or lack thereof, it was because it had the worst Rotten Tomatoes percentage of an MCU film, even under The Incredible Hulk, so it was mentioned a lot as sort of a gotcha moment for any superhero / Marvel film discussion.

Even if you disliked WW84, it's not possible to akin it to "Thor 2", because DC already have had their "Thor 2" moment like 5 times already. Starting from Aquaman until the bottom for Suicide Squad.

infinityBCRT

Nov 1, 2017
This movie either was unintentionally bad, or Patty Jenkins didn't just want to make a movie set in the 80s but make a movie that felt like it was made in the 80s. Either way, it was cheesy and messy. I don't think Gal was great either. Pedro did well with the material that he had, but it got nonsensical in the final act.

mugurumakensei

Elizabeth, I’m coming to join you!
Oct 25, 2017
This movie either was unintentionally bad, or Patty Jenkins didn't just want to make a movie set in the 80s but make a movie that felt like it was made in the 80s. Either way, it was cheesy and messy. I don't think Gal was great either. Pedro did well with the material that he had, but it got nonsensical in the final act.

I mean there's literally vhs strobing, jitter, and grain through its whole runtime. It was clearly going for aping 80s movie aesthetic with modern tech.

ShapeGSX

Nov 13, 2017
Wow. Plot holes you could fly an invisible jet through. But god damn if the after credit scene didn't make the entire movie. Holy shit.

WrenchNinja

Oct 25, 2017
Canada
I'm surprised so many people here disliked it. Thought it was great, just full of love, hope and sincerity. Really enjoyed Pedro chewing scenery, Kristen Wiig getting to play a villain, Gal and Chris's romance scenes. Even the final battles were pretty good.

Stat

Oct 25, 2017
Couple questions:

So we never find out what happens to Lord and Barbara? Also, thank fuck for them not doing any post-credit scenes that have any major implications.

Anyways, better than the first movie cause the final act didn't suck (even if the ending was overall a little cheesy). Still think Pedro Pascal just cant act in any role except maybe GoT.

A solid 8 out of 10 for me.

Toth

Oct 26, 2017
Saw the movie today and I really liked it; not as good as the first but it had a lot of heart to it. One thing that is nagging me :

Did Barbara renounce her wish or not? She lost her Cheetah powers but we never see her again and it is unclear if she retained her Diana powers.