• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

spookyduzt

Drive-In Mutant
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I don't know what these movie studios are expecting when things get back to normal and they all decide to release all of these delayed movies at the same time. People are still going to be afraid of going to the movies, and all of these high profile titles are going to cannibalize each other over what little box office there is.

Garlador

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
image.jpg

says hi
Direct-to-Video doesn't count, otherwise I'd count Superman Red Son and Superman Man of Tomorrow.

I need a right, proper theatrical film!

rjinaz

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Phoenix
The issue for Mulan, Black Widow and Wonder Woman is that they basically had hundreds of millions in marketing already spent,

If you pushed them into an ultra safe point where they are almost guaranteed precovid numbers you have to spend millions in advertisements again at that point.

Wonder Woman might be worth it to just take the hit because the marketing and promotions are still pretty current and there isn't heavy competition atm.

The downside is that it's an expensive movie and was a billion contender with precovid numbers.
Good point. I suppose that's why they decided on December, assmung that's true. They probably don't have to readvertise as much as long as it comes out this year.

Blader

Oct 27, 2017
He actually posts on Era as well. He's got some sources which have turned out to be legit more often than not from my count.
This person had a lot of details about DC Fandome things and had actually tweeted out details about various panels and what they would contain before the panels went on and those details were right, which is why you would assume this person legitimately knows things when it comes to DC things.
Interesting! However, the new Christmas release news pretty much flies in the face of those tweets now, haha.

Lowblood

Oct 30, 2017
Besides the initial charge, I think the "Premier Access" thing also has a PS+/XB Gold sort of effect where you'll stay subscribed to keep your access to the movie you already "bought." So it's a solid revenue stream. Obviously they eventually fold into the regular subscription too but I'm sure that'll be a year or so away. How that compares to standard theatre gross, though, is a good question.

I'd gladly pay to see WW84 but not $30, since HBO Max is already more expensive than Disney+ per month.

JaredTaco

Oct 27, 2017
I really feel like the Tenet experiment hurt movie theaters more than it helped.

All of the constant "Tenet delayed another two weeks because movie theaters aren't safe" articles really made it sink into peoples heads, when it might not have otherwise.

I think the repeated delay of Tenet was stupid, but had no effect on people's decision to go to the movies. Most people simply aren't going to risk their lives so they can go to the movies. Most people probably weren't even paying attention to the constant delays.

If Warner Bros. is smart they'll do some kind of special re-release of Tenet where they get all the IMAX and premium screens again and pretend it never released. Maybe even delay the Blu-ray/VOD until they can do that. It sucks for people who want to see it at home, but might be the best strategy for a movie specifically built for the theater environment.

CloseTalker

Oct 25, 2017
Nothing about December is going to be any different than october from a business perspective. It'll get delayed again

rjinaz

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Phoenix
Wait they're saying they're not delaying Dune? Are they insane?
As we first told you two days ago, Warner Bros.' Wonder Woman 1984 is vacating its Oct. 2 release date, with the Patty Jenkins-directed movie heading to Christmas. Warners is keeping the Legendary sci-fi movie Dune on the calendar for Dec..18 release, and believes that the holiday marketplace is big enough for two-mega tentpoles.

And they would be wrong. I'm guessing they change their minds on this. I don't think it's big enough for even one, just wait until the Winter spread of Covid begins.

Heynongman!

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, I'm not sure why people think Dune is going to make any money. There's no reason to assume it will make more than Blade Runner, and that didn't do very well at all
I dunno, I feel like the fact that it's not a sequel to a cult classic from the 80s that many people have only seen the bad version of, and that it's got a crazy cast might give it a leg up on BR2049. At the very least, it will do well with young adults/teens with Chalamet and Zendaya as long as they market the shit out of it.

It's a fucking shame BR2049 did poorly, but it is what it is.

luca

Oct 25, 2017
So Warner expects the market to be big enough for two fo their tentpole releases this Christmas, huh. I'm definitely expecting Dune to be delayed into 2021. Just crazy how they expect there to be room for both of them in December.

Deleted member 7051

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
wb execs see tenet 20.2M OW

tumblr_inline_mjds8qVMve1qz4rgp-600x338.gif

What did they expect, though? Nobody in their right mind is going to the cinema for the rest of the year and that'll possibly spill over to next year too.

I know a small amount of Americans are stupid enough to still go to motorcycle rallies like Sturgis but nobody wants to sit in an air-conditioned box with a hundred other people for two to three hours in the middle of a pandemic.

These executives really need to just bite the bullet and put their big 2020 movies on streaming services for a premium fee. Sure they'll lose a lot of money but they'll lose even more if they never release anything for another year.

Depending on how well Mulan does, I can see Black Widow ending up on Disney+ before the end of the year. A theatrical release would just be sending it out to die.

Oct 25, 2017
Just release them digitally FFS.

It's the only way.

We are still soooo far from a vaccine, and then from Americans even TAKING the damn thing is another huge hurdle.

rjinaz

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Phoenix
I swear I've seen this news line before.
Originally the Wonder Woman account on twitter posted a shot of a theater with the release date of Thanksgiving. They then quickly changed it to October. That may be what you are thinking of.

That or it could be just be because movies keep getting delayed time and time again.

Jarmel

The Jackrabbit Always Wins
Oct 25, 2017
New York
The only logic I can think of for WB where they don't delay Dune is the idea of making returning to theaters an EVENT and releasing a bunch of blockbusters at the same time knowing they'll lose money individually on each of the movies but it's a long term plan to get the industry moving again. Utterly stupid of a concept though.

Blader

Oct 27, 2017

It's the only way.

We are still soooo far from a vaccine, and then from Americans even TAKING the damn thing is another huge hurdle.
We are not that far from a vaccine really, especially compared to every other historical vaccine timeline. Distributing it across the country is another thing. But a widely distributed vaccine by next summer, even late spring, sounds pretty feasible so far.

Hero_of_the_Day

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017

It's the only way.

Unless they figure out a way to really stop piracy (impossible, obviously) there is no way any of the studios are releasing potentially billion dollar box office draw movies digitally.