• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

rjinaz

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Phoenix
Just throwing this in the thread:

I feel they are in a hard place due to them pushing the release date. That was a huge mistake. Maybe theaters pressured them, I don't know.

They will lose so much money by releasing this digitally. I honestly think their best move is to release it next Spring even if it pisses some fans off.

Maybe they could be clever and come up with a way to make it up to fans somehow, free giveaways in theaters and the like.

This will probably be the first movie I actually buy like this, assuming I can actually buy it.

$20 to rent, $30 to own should be the model going forward. At most.

Kyrios

Oct 27, 2017

Wish this just became a thing all these movie companies do. I have no use for a movie theater and would actually watch more new movies if they were also day one digital with a theatrical release instead of just waiting for a bluray/digital release later on like I usually do.

JFunky

Oct 27, 2017
California
After seeing the results from Tenet this isn't surprising. Pretty sure we won't see another major film released in theaters this year. Hopefully a vaccine will arrive in the next few months and we can get back to the movies. I really miss seeing new films. Or maybe Mulan is making a ton of money on Disney+ and WB just drops this via HBO Max for an extra fee?

Blader

Oct 27, 2017
The thing with Tenet is that WB also wants to leave open a lot of runway for that movie to continue running in theaters. Dropping Wonder Woman just a month after Tenet is going to cut into whatever legs it has.

That tweet is from 6 months ago. WB CEO said recently Wonder Woman will be a theatrical release.

Johnny956

Oct 25, 2017
How badly has it done? I haven't kept an eye on the box office of the movie.

Very wild that they decided to release a Nolan film during all this.

With new restrictions here in the UK, I imagine James Bond will also be delayed.

its at 150 million or so worldwide currently with most of it being international gross.

Deleted member 18400

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
The first theater to release one of these big budget movies first day digital from home will discover that I am willing to pay almost anything to watch a new release from the comfort of my chair with a pause feature and home made snacks.

Like I would pay 30+ dollars to watch WW84 from home once.

Sulik2

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Paramount is still the only movie company that understood what covid was going to do. Moving Fast 9 back a year is what every studio should have done. There is no way we have the global market for blockbuster movies again until a vaccine, which is hopefully by next summer.

Blader

Oct 27, 2017
The person who tweeted it just RT'd (again) saying this

Also followed up with this:

Ok, but, who is this person? lol. I'm not sure someone with "The Vulcan Reporter" and "What's on Netflix" necessarily has this inside scoop! I could be wrong and maybe she's broken reporting on this kinda stuff before, I've just never heard of her or the Vulcan Reporter before.

rjinaz

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Phoenix
Wish this just became a thing all these movie companies do. I have no use for a movie theater and would actually watch more new movies if they were also day one digital with a theatrical release instead of just waiting for a bluray/digital release later on like I usually do.
Whether it makes sense or not, people can't wrap their heads around a $20 dollar rental fee. I have yet to know anybody that has done it and I know a lot of avid movie goers. People are slow to adapt because movie going is a thing that has existed for a century. Dropping $50 at a theater makes sense, but dropping more than $10 or so for a rental is hard for people to get their heads around even though when you think about it, of course it makes sense.

Trolls did pretty well, I imagine this will as well, but, not like it could in theaters, no where near.

Wingfan19

Layout Designer
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Bothell WA
Ok, but, who is this person? lol. I'm not sure someone with "The Vulcan Reporter" and "What's on Netflix" necessarily has this inside scoop! I could be wrong and maybe she's broken reporting on this kinda stuff before, I've just never heard of her or the Vulcan Reporter before.
He actually posts on Era as well. He's got some sources which have turned out to be legit more often than not from my count.

Daingurse

Oct 25, 2017
Makes sense, and I expect Dune to get pushed out as well. The budgets of these blockbusters are just too high to justify releasing in theaters this year, with the domestic box office being as anemic as it is right now. Tenant was probably a good litmus test for them.

Distantmantra

Oct 26, 2017
Seattle
Whether it makes sense or not, people can't wrap their heads around a $20 dollar rental fee. I have yet to know anybody that has done it and I know a lot of avid movie goers. People are slow to adapt because movie going is a thing that hasn't existed for a century.

I rented Trolls World Tour digitally. It was still cheaper than what my, wife, daughter and I would have paid to see it in the theater here in Seattle.

OP
OP
IDontBeatGames

IDontBeatGames

ThreadMarksman
Oct 29, 2017
New York

This person had a lot of details about DC Fandome things and had actually tweeted out details about various panels and what they would contain before the panels went on and those details were right, which is why you would assume this person legitimately knows things when it comes to DC things.

Meg Cherry

Oct 25, 2017
Seattle, WA
Anyone waiting on WW84 to hit PVOD (or far, far less likely - HBO Max) - is going to be waiting awhile. And apologies if I don't take the word of an unverified reporter at 'What's Next On Netflix' as a reliable source saying otherwise.

Note that Disney still hasn't said anything about how their 'Premiere Access' scheme for Mulan went. Nor has ANY studio who released a $30 rental since Trolls 2 (which increasingly looks like an outlier).

For as much as this forum says they'd pay any price for new releases at home... The wider audience simply hasn't. None of these premium rentals have generated enough revenue to warrant releasing them in the first place - again, with the possible exception of Trolls (who needed to release because merch was already in stores).

rjinaz

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Phoenix
HBO Max is a horrible idea. Anybody that wants HBO Max probably already has it. Unless they go the Mulan route and charge $30 but that hasn't worked out the greatest.

That and HBO still hasn't worked out a deal with Roku which has the largest digital device share. Outside of PCs and phones of course.

Edit: Quoted the wrong person.

MrPink

Oct 27, 2017
The person who tweeted it just RT'd (again) saying this

Also followed up with this:

HBO Max isn't going to work, considering it's barely available anywhere outside of the US and its subscriber count pales in comparison to Disney Plus (sub 10 million). They'd absolutely burn more money that way than releasing it in theaters.

SeanM

Oct 26, 2017
USA
I really feel like the Tenet experiment hurt movie theaters more than it helped.

All of the constant "Tenet delayed another two weeks because movie theaters aren't safe" articles really made it sink into peoples heads, when it might not have otherwise.

OP
OP
IDontBeatGames

IDontBeatGames

ThreadMarksman
Oct 29, 2017
New York
Anyone waiting on WW84 to hit PVOD (or far, far less likely - HBO Max) - is going to be waiting awhile. And apologies if I don't take the word of an unverified reporter at 'What's Next On Netflix' as a reliable source saying otherwise.

Note that Disney still hasn't said anything about how their 'Premiere Access' scheme for Mulan went. Nor has ANY studio who released a $30 rental since Trolls 2 (which increasingly looks like an outlier).

For as much as this forum says they'd pay any price for new releases at home... The wider audience simply hasn't. None of these premium rentals have generated enough revenue to warrant releasing them in the first place - again, with the possible exception of Trolls (who needed to release because merch was already in stores).

I wonder if Disney regrets doing this with Mulan first. I feel like if they did this with Black Widow first, the whole Premier Access thing, they might have seen success with it but then again, you have to wonder if that "success" would be an anomaly due to you know, Black Widow being a MCU movie.

Meg Cherry

Oct 25, 2017
Seattle, WA
I wonder if Disney regrets doing this with Mulan first. I feel like if they did this with Black Widow first, the whole Premier Access thing, they might have seen success with it but then again, you have to wonder if that "success" would be an anomaly due to you know, Black Widow being a MCU movie.
They only did it with Mulan because they're able to release theatrically in China (which now appears to have blown up for entirely different, non-COVID reasons).

rjinaz

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Phoenix
I rented Trolls World Tour digitally. It was still cheaper than what my, wife, daughter and I would have paid to see it in the theater here in Seattle.
I understand and I'm not arguing that it's not a good value. I'm saying most people can't wrap their heads around it. "I'm not paying $20 bucks to rent a movie" is what I hear time and time again even if I explain why it costs that much, they just say "they'll wait".

Torpedo Vegas

Oct 27, 2017
Parts Unknown.
This was one of the 2 or 3 movies I had planned on seeing in the theater this year, but honestly I'm not stepping foot in a theater for another 2-3 years. There is going to have to be a vaccine and I'm going to give it some time to see if it actually works.

Kyrios

Oct 27, 2017
Whether it makes sense or not, people can't wrap their heads around a $20 dollar rental fee. I have yet to know anybody that has done it and I know a lot of avid movie goers. People are slow to adapt because movie going is a thing that has existed for a century. Dropping $50 at a theater makes sense, but dropping more than $10 or so for a rental is hard for people to get their heads around even though when you think about it, of course it makes sense.

Trolls did pretty well, I imagine this will as well, but, not like it could in theaters, no where near.

Oh yeah I totally see people second-guessing a higher digital rental price, even though it's definitely cheaper than going to a theater with more than two or three people (depending if you go cheaper mornings or the more expensive evenings). Wouldn't become more of a norm until all movie companies start doing it.

But I'd totally be ok with a $20 rental fee to not have someone constantly checking their phone and dealing with their phone glare and someone hacking up a lung behind me lol

Burt

Fight Sephiroth or end video games
Oct 28, 2017
Dune this year at home where it's guaranteed to not make its money back and destroy the chance for a sequel

or Dune like middle of next year in theaters when it might make enough money to justify wrapping up the story

A356jiI.gif

lol jk its screwed either way

Garlador

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
It feels weird to have gone over a year without a proper superhero movie.

Birds_of_Prey-326135821-mmed.jpg

... Over a YEAR without a proper superhero movie!

Soap

Oct 27, 2017
It's not shocking. It seems Warner were banking on international numbers to make up for a shortfall in domestic returns, but with cases rising everywhere again then we'll probably see cinemas closing everywhere.

Jeffapp

Oct 29, 2017
Seems like they have no end game for this approach. If they keep holding big releases but still make them (ie Batman) will it just be a flood of movies at one point cause your talking a full two summers of movies released at the same time. Wonder Woman would have to come out the week before Batman then the next week suicide squad all at the same time as black widow and eternals. I'm just using tent poll super hero movies as an example so toss them with other movies.

bastardly

Nov 8, 2017
yeh, i knew this was coming when tenet underperformed even by pandemic standards. the mulan route might work with HBO Max so they dont need share the sales except with the platform store. i think mulan did ok, it was #1 or near it on D+, i think DIsney won't even bring up Mulan for awhile because its tainted for other reasons right now. In all honesty, they should just delay it though

lupinko

Oct 26, 2017
Paramount is still the only movie company that understood what covid was going to do. Moving Fast 9 back a year is what every studio should have done. There is no way we have the global market for blockbuster movies again until a vaccine, which is hopefully by next summer.

Fast 9 and the franchise belongs to Universal.

Jarmel

The Jackrabbit Always Wins
Oct 25, 2017
New York
Hopefully this means that whatever happens with Dune that Villenueve doesn't get the blame and they let him make the sequel before first realizing that Dune isn't going to be a blockbuster franchise.

just_myles

Oct 25, 2017
Dune this year at home where it's guaranteed to not make its money back and destroy the chance for a sequel

or Dune like middle of next year in theaters when it might make enough money to justify wrapping up the story

A356jiI.gif

lol jk its screwed either way

I would rather they delay it. I want to see this safely in a theater. Same with tenet and any black widow.

Also maybe they need to rethink their global marketing strategy. Those are a massive part of their budget. Maybe some changes need to be made there.

Deleted member 2802

Community Resetter
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Seems like they have no end game for this approach. If they keep holding big releases but still make them (ie Batman) will it just be a flood of movies at one point cause your talking a full two summers of movies released at the same time. Wonder Woman would have to come out the week before Batman then the next week suicide squad all at the same time as black widow and eternals. I'm just using tent poll super hero movies as an example so toss them with other movies.
I would not mind more episodic MCU on D+

Dune lul

Oct 25, 2017
I feel they are in a hard place due to them pushing the release date. That was a huge mistake. Maybe theaters pressured them, I don't know.

They will lose so much money by releasing this digitally. I honestly think their best move is to release it next Spring even if it pisses some fans off.

Maybe they could be clever and come up with a way to make it up to fans somehow, free giveaways in theaters and the like.

This will probably be the first movie I actually buy like this, assuming I can actually buy it.

$20 to rent, $30 to own should be the model going forward. At most.
The issue for Mulan, Black Widow and Wonder Woman is that they basically had hundreds of millions in marketing already spent,

If you pushed them into an ultra safe point where they are almost guaranteed precovid numbers you have to spend millions in advertisements again at that point.

Wonder Woman might be worth it to just take the hit because the marketing and promotions are still pretty current and there isn't heavy competition atm.

The downside is that it's an expensive movie and was a billion contender with precovid numbers.