• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Era Uma Vez

Feb 5, 2020
tenor.gif

MrPink

Oct 27, 2017
I couldn't read the whole WSJ article but it sounds like WB intends to slot it somewhere this year still, but haven't decided when given the indefinite status.

I assume it'll go where Dune currently is for the time being.

rjinaz

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Phoenix
First it was October, then it was November.

I guess Tenet scared the shit out of them. If movies are going to stop coming out I'm not even sure there is a point to have movie theaters open. They are ultimately going to need a government bailout.

Edit: or maybe I have that backwards. Either way, I don't think this comes out this year. October is not going to look any worse than November or December, if anything we expect Winter to rise the cases.

Jay Shadow

Oct 28, 2017
Says it's postponed to a date later this year. Still probably taking the Dune slot when they eventually announce Dune's delay.

BWoog

Oct 27, 2017
Trump's "OPEN EVERYTHING UP AND DO NOTHING TO CONTAIN THE VIRUS" doesn't seem to be working for businesses. How odd.

Distantmantra

Oct 26, 2017
Seattle
I've seen tons of WW84 merchandise at the neighborhood pharmacy. Curious when we'll stop seeing planned cross promotional materials for films that are delayed.

Oct 25, 2017
First it was October, then it was November.

I guess Tenet scared the shit out of them. If movies are going to stop coming out I'm not even sure there is a point to have movie theaters open. They are ultimately going to need a government bailout.
It also meant they need to keep Tenet out longer to make more money so they didn't want WW to come out and cannibalize each other

Meg Cherry

Oct 25, 2017
Seattle, WA
Just a reminder that Tenet was 'Delayed Indefinitely' until WB set a new date like, a week later.

My guess is that both this & Dune get pushed to 2021. Tenet showed what the market honestly is for a new release in theaters right now - and it just isn't enough to justify releasing a tentpole.

OP
OP
IDontBeatGames

IDontBeatGames

ThreadMarksman
Oct 29, 2017
New York
Things are going to be worse in November. It will be delayed again.
Can't delay it "again" when it's delayed indefinitely, at this point that keeps it safe from another "delay" announcement. They'll likely keep it this way and just announce it when the time is right and it seems like movies are back in business

Wijuci

Jan 16, 2018
Well, seing Tenet in a movie theater made me realize how I was not ready to be back in a movie theater.

It sucks, but this whole situation sucks so, yeah. Better luck next year?

Goddo Hando

Oct 25, 2017
Chicago
studios need to embrace digital for the time being, one of the first things i want to do is go back to the theater after the vaccine.

being home is no substitute for going out, and i think studios dont get this. this isn't a thing where digital will kill theaters, its that theaters will literally kill people right now

Aske

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Canadia
My soul...

This won't come out until next summer. Things will only get worse covid-wise as the weather gets colder. If they want to make before-times level profits from the cinematic release, they're going to have to keep this movie in their back pockets for a long time.

rjinaz

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Phoenix
My Wonder Woman 1984 Doritos suggest otherwise.
Yep they definitely marketed that October date. I mean I guess there is nothing stopping them from changing the date despite advertising but has there ever been anything like that happen where a company advertises the date through products and the like, and then changes the release significantly?

Ocarina_117

Oct 26, 2017
I still can't believe that they used a 200m dollar film as social experiment.
How badly has it done? I haven't kept an eye on the box office of the movie.

Very wild that they decided to release a Nolan film during all this.

With new restrictions here in the UK, I imagine James Bond will also be delayed.

Soj

Oct 27, 2017
It's so weird that they're doing this right after Tenet saved cinema and was such a massive hit.

Greg NYC3

Oct 26, 2017
Miami
How badly has it done? I haven't kept an eye on the box office of the movie.

Very wild that they decided to release a Nolan film during all this.

With new restrictions here in the UK, I imagine James Bond will also be delayed.
The last that I checked it still hadn't cleared the films production budget WW. It did respectably overseas but too many major US markets aren't even allowing theaters to open and the few that are have reduced capacity. It was an awful decision to make for a film that would have been packing theaters during normal times.