• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

KG

Banned
Oct 12, 2018
Fuck yeah. Can't wait. Maybe I'll re-watch the first one while waiting for this to come out.

Mariolee

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
The irony of this meme is that the movie isn't going for a 70's political thriller at this part but an early 2000's political thriller vibe in a vein of the Bourne Identity movies.

Of course this goes over people's heads that just want to post "L0LZ 70's pOliTiCaL tHrILLeR!1!!!1"

It's just a joke though

Flex1212

Jul 12, 2019
Cool cool. I liked the first although it kind of fell apart for me in the end. But looking forward to checking this out.

Deleted member 33120

User Requested Account Closure
Banned
Nov 15, 2017
This could be good, but those impressions mean basically nothing in an age where influencer types are afraid to lose access to corporate products.

mikehaggar

Developer at Pixel Arc Studios
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
Harrisburg, Pa
Huge news!

Hope it's good. Enjoyed the first well enough. Glad HBO is getting their heads out of their asses and doing 4KHDR.

I keep seeing people saying this, but I'm pretty sure some of the newer content on HBO Max is already 4K HDR. If it's not then my Apple TV 4K is tricking my tv into thinking the show(s) are in Dolby Vision, but I haven't encountered that happening in any other of the streaming apps.

dragonbane

Oct 26, 2017
Germany
I believe in Patty. Even if it isn't amazing, something full of hope and love like the first film is really needed right now

Hero_of_the_Day

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
I keep seeing people saying this, but I'm pretty sure some of the newer content on HBO Max is already 4K HDR. If it's not then my Apple TV 4K is tricking my tv into thinking the show(s) are in Dolby Vision, but I haven't encountered that happening in any other of the streaming apps.

Can you give an example of something you think might be 4k/HDR? I'll check it out. I know when I watched Raised By Wolves it was 1080p only.

mikehaggar

Verified
Oct 26, 2017
Harrisburg, Pa
Can you give an example of something you think might be 4k/HDR? I'll check it out. I know when I watched Raised By Wolves it was 1080p only.

I have an LC CX OLED and it indicates what content is being sent to it. When I watch The Flight Attendant the Dolby Vision icon shows up from the tv right when the actual episode starts. However, I just checked the tv settings while the episode played and the tv isn't in DolbyVision mode. So... the hbo max is "tricking" my tv somehow. Weird.

Oct 25, 2017
Toronto, ON
This could be good, but those impressions mean basically nothing in an age where influencer types are afraid to lose access to corporate products.

Of course, I'll never forget the influencer "early review" reactions to Rise of Skywalker, which had these folks screaming with delight, *still shaking*, in tears, what a perfect and incredible finale, etc....lol.

Blader

Oct 27, 2017
Of course, I'll never forget the influencer "early review" reactions to Rise of Skywalker, which had these folks screaming with delight, *still shaking*, in tears, what a perfect and incredible finale, etc....lol.
That's funny because I remember those early reactions being super mixed at best. Even the guy from Collider was like, I think this movie sucked, lol.

Toriko

Dec 29, 2017
Every MCU movie has the same early impressions and they all tend to be garbage. I dont have high hopes for any competent action sequences in this one.

"I have seen comic book movie XYZ and it is so much fun! It is positive, full of hope and a ray of sunshine that we need. Cannot wait for instalment no 56782 Yai!!!" -

reviewed by Ilovecomicbookmovies.com

Blade24070

Oct 26, 2017
Ah yes, another superhero movie that has people crying like their mom just died. Great.

Also, curious if Gal Gadot got better at acting. The first movie was good, but she is not a good actress.

TyrantII

Oct 25, 2017
Boston

Doesn't apple TV wrap everything in a tone mapped 4K HDR signal?

It's like watching youtube or netflix on my Shield, no matter the resolution of the video, the Shield "desktop" is sending 4K tone mapped HDR10.

Apps that send native signals like Disney+ and Amazon Prime on the other hand preform a handshake (screen goes black) and the content is played in the native resolution and color space.

Patitoloco

Oct 27, 2017
Doesn't apple TV wrap everything in a tone mapped 4K HDR signal?

It's like watching youtube or netflix on my Shield, no matter the resolution of the video, the Shield "desktop" is sending 4K tone mapped HDR10.

Apps that send native signals like Disney+ and Amazon Prime on the other hand preform a handshake (screen goes black) and the content is played in the native resolution and color space.
It doesn't.

It's even an option in the ATV, matching both frame rate and video color output with the signal received.

mikehaggar

Verified
Oct 26, 2017
Harrisburg, Pa
It doesn't.

It's even an option in the ATV, matching both frame rate and video color output with the signal received.

Yes, it definitely doesn't. The only thing that possibly explains the behavior I'm seeing is if the HBO Max animated logo/intro screen is being sent in DolbyVision as right as that begins I get the DolbyVision notification on my CX. However, once that finished and the show begins the tv settings show it is not in DolbyVision mode. Definitely strange, but not a big deal to me. Overall, I'm quite pleased with how the Apple TV 4K works and looks on my CX.

Forsaken82

Oct 27, 2017
I always wonder what the hell people mean when they post "this is basically an 80's movie!". I mean, it literally isn't and it's not like 80's movies in general are identifiable by looks.

PRetty sure it just means the general look and feel pays homage to action films of the 80s similar to what Thor: Ragnarok did.

TyrantII

Oct 25, 2017
Boston
Yes, it definitely doesn't. The only thing that possibly explains the behavior I'm seeing is if the HBO Max animated logo/intro screen is being sent in DolbyVision as right as that begins I get the DolbyVision notification on my CX. However, once that finished and the show begins the tv settings show it is not in DolbyVision mode. Definitely strange, but not a big deal to me. Overall, I'm quite pleased with how the Apple TV 4K works and looks on my CX.

Must be doing testing using the HBO stringer then, as that wasn't the cast for me a few months back before I canceled HBO: LGWebOS and Shield.

Hopefully once WW84 is out they act quickly to get up their older catalog in UHD w/ HDR.

CloudWolf

Oct 26, 2017
PRetty sure it just means the general look and feel pays homage to action films of the 80s similar to what Thor: Ragnarok did.
But Thor: Ragnarok, which I love, also feels nothing like an "80's movie".

I have seen many films from the 80's, but not one of them looks and feels like Thor: Ragnarok.

shaneo632

Weekend Planner
Oct 29, 2017
Wrexham, Wales
A few people I know just saw the press screening in London and the responses seem a lot more measured, a few people whose tastes I trust calling it underwhelming and the script convoluted.

DeathyBoy

Oct 29, 2017
Under my Hela Hela
But Thor: Ragnarok, which I love, also feels nothing like an "80's movie".

I have seen many films from the 80's, but not one of them looks and feels like Thor: Ragnarok.

Thor Ragnarok Is a loose, Marvel approximation of Big Trouble In Little China. It's just that the Marvel formula means they can't go full on in the BTILC direction, because Thor has to ultimately be heroic etc, whereas Carpenter and Russell were happy for Jack to basically be the vaguely incompetent sidekick, a ruthless parody of how badass Russell was in Escape From New York.

Thats not on Chris Hemsworth by the way, I think he'd definitely be up for skewering himself on screen. But it's a Thor film, Thor ultimately has to win.

So it is vaguely 80s, but in the same way Stranger Things is. Namely a modern day properly appropriating 80s iconography, instead of feeling like it was set in the 80s.

Keldroc

Oct 27, 2017
Lmao here we go

The third act in WW is no worse than it is in nearly every MCU flick.

No, it's a mess in a way very few MCU films past Phase 1 are. The third act of WW screams studio interference and suits demanding big CG effect showdowns, feels like it was written in the '90s. We're talking about people who tried to cut the No Man's Land sequence out of the film here. I have no doubt WW84 will be much better in that respect now that Jenkins has full control.

Disco

Oct 25, 2017
It's a bogstandard "go big" third act that I see in countless comic movies tbh.

But what kinda stood it apart from those into a slightly shittier than usual ending was the villain reveal and motivations tho. But that's also offset by Gadots wonder woman also being inexplicably one of the most charming superheroes in a minute. Whether or not this sequel is a dud I hope she keeps the same energy from the first in this

Last edited:

MistahS

Prophet of Truth
The Fallen
Sep 2, 2018
No, it's a mess in a way very few MCU films past Phase 1 are. The third act of WW screams studio interference and suits demanding big CG effect showdowns, feels like it was written in the '90s. We're talking about people who tried to cut the No Man's Land sequence out of the film here. I have no doubt WW84 will be much better in that respect now that Jenkins has full control.
WB had no say in the No Man's Land scene. It was Patty's own production crew who didn't want to do it. Not the studio.

Gaia Lanzer

Oct 25, 2017
*Shakes fist*

I'll be the judge on whether they nailed the 80s aesthetic or not!!! I'm pretty anal regarding depictions of the 80s in modern movies or television shows. I always wanna see that decade done right and not either half-assed or parodied. So, I'll give this one a shot out of 80s curiosity and the fact I loved the first WW movie!

Timbuktu

Oct 25, 2017
I can't find a place to watch it. The drive in I went to to watch Tenet still not listing this yet.

devilhawk

Oct 27, 2017
Early impressions can be useful if they are mixed or down on the movie. When even the early impressions hate something, you know it sucked. Here, the impressions are very positive, so it's still up in the air.