• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Deleted member 51691

User requested account closure
Banned
Jan 6, 2019
Hmm, angling to be one of the first big releases after the crisis subsides? I'm not sure it will end that quickly but we shall see.

Stooge

Oct 29, 2017
I think the bet has to be we're back in theaters by August or the film studio model/theaters are effectively dead anyway.

Serene

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
I have seen almost every superhero movie the past few years not only in theaters but on opening night

but there is like a zero chance I am going to a movie theater anytime soon, including August, barring some sort of miracle eradication of this shit

mreddie

Oct 26, 2017
Widow September? Or is Marvel still waiting to see shit calm down by June for a July launch?

Blader

Oct 27, 2017
It's delayed indefinitely though, it should have taken the August spot first.

Not that I think theaters will necessarily be open by then still.
I imagine Disney will drop Black Widow in Fourth of July weekend, where Free Guy is currently sitting, and move that film somewhere else. Assuming theaters are ready to go by then. If theaters are still closed by July/August, that is really ominous for the theater industry period.

Halbrand

Oct 27, 2017
I imagine Disney will drop Black Widow in Fourth of July weekend, where Free Guy is currently sitting, and move that film somewhere else. Assuming theaters are ready to go by then. If theaters are still closed by July/August, that is really ominous for the theater industry period.
That would be fantastic but that's really optimistic.

Cuburger

Oct 28, 2017
Makes it seem like WB is optimistic that things will go back to normal by August and is securing the date before Disney can for Black Widow.

cyba89

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I can imagine theatres being open again in some countries but only with strict limitations (eg. only half of the seats filled).

I'm sure there are a lot of people currently working out models how you can open up different businesses again as you obviously can't keep everything closed until there is a vaccine available.

This obviously won't work out favorable for the studios bottom line but I imagine it will take until next year til box office gets somewhat normal again.

Blader

Oct 27, 2017
That would be fantastic but that's really optimistic.
China is reopening movie theaters next month. Granted they took far more aggressive measures in testing and quarantining people (in many cases more aggressive than would ever happen here, and for good reason). It all depends on how effective the next few months are at flattening the curve, between testing, distancing, and potential treatments. It isn't unrealistic, I think, for quarantining orders to start lifting sometime in May or to have the virus in a relatively more manageable condition by May or June. It's entirely plausible that won't be the case, of course. Though like I said, there are much bigger, more existential problems to deal with in that case if businesses are still shuttered in 5-6 months.

Neoxon

Spotlighting Black Excellence - Diversity Analyst
Oct 25, 2017
Houston, TX
Makes sense, hopefully things improve by then. Likewise, I hope we get a new date for In the Heights soon.

With that being said, with Wonder Woman 1984 now being in August, I wonder where Black Widow will land since I was originally expecting it to take up the August slot.

Halbrand

Oct 27, 2017
China is reopening movie theaters next month. Granted they took far more aggressive measures in testing and quarantining people (in many cases more aggressive than would ever happen here, and for good reason). It all depends on how effective the next few months are at flattening the curve, between testing, distancing, and potential treatments. It isn't unrealistic, I think, for quarantining orders to start lifting sometime in May or to have the virus in a relatively more manageable condition by May or June. It's entirely plausible that won't be the case, of course. Though like I said, there are much bigger, more existential problems to deal with in that case if businesses are still shuttered in 5-6 months.
Oh I definitely think it's possible to get this contained by July if countries close down all inessential business and keep their borders closed. The big problem is the US.

Nov 13, 2017
Makes sense, hopefully things improve by then. Likewise, I hope we get a new date for In the Heights soon.

With that being said, with Wonder Woman 1984 now being in August, I wonder where Black Widow will land since I was originally expecting it to take up the August slot.
I think Disney is really hoping for July 4 weekend. That's three full months from now.

CrichtonKicks

Oct 25, 2017
It's delayed indefinitely though, it should have taken the August spot first.

Not that I think theaters will necessarily be open by then still.

Yeah, staking out dates is the smart move. It literally costs you nothing, you can always delay again, and, in the event that cinemas are open, you already have your claim. Delaying "indefinitely" is going to bite some studios in the ass because there is going to be a land rush at some point and some studios are going to be faced with either a crazy year plus delay or just going to straight to streaming.

Disney is kind of immune to this, though, because they have so many dates staked out for the next couple of years that they can just do an internal shuffle. I think we all just expect the MCU to slide six months to the right across the board.

Halbrand

Oct 27, 2017
I feel like September is the most likely spot for Black Widow at the moment, if it comes this year at all.

Blader

Oct 27, 2017
I think Eternals will probably slip back to December and inadvertently kick off a new Marvel Christmas tradition like Star Wars.

Neoxon

Spotlighting Black Excellence - Diversity Analyst
Oct 25, 2017
Houston, TX
I think Disney is really hoping for July 4 weekend. That's three full months from now.
That may be cutting it a bit close, but it'd be great if that could happen.

I think Eternals will probably slip back to December and inadvertently kick off a new Marvel Christmas tradition like Star Wars.
Makes sense...
  • Black Widow delayed to August or September
  • Falcon & Winter Soldier delayed to September, ends in October
  • Eternals & WandaVision in December
Lots of MCU to cap off 2020.

Nov 13, 2017
That may be cutting it a bit close, but it'd be great if that could happen.

Makes sense...
  • Black Widow delayed to August or September
  • Falcon & Winter Soldier delayed to September, ends in October
  • Eternals & WandaVision in December
Lots of MCU to cap off 2020.
Call it a hunch, but I have a feeling that Disney really wants BW out before Wonder Woman.

Deleted member 21709

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Why would they think cinemas would re-open in August. That is just silly.
Yes, you believe in the power of cinema. That's good. But this is about life and death.

Bus-TEE

Banned
Nov 20, 2017
I'm not calling anyone out here but the idea that WB would just dump this film, arguably their biggest of the year, onto VOD was ludicrous.

If Universal can delay the next F&F film (which no one but China cares about) for an entire year why couldn't Warners do the exact same thing?

Yes, there are lots of marketing and merchandising deals tying into the film that need to be honoured but given the exceptional circumstances I feel like there are ways round that sort of thing.

At this rate I wouldn't be surprised (but it's an outside bet...hopefully) if it's delayed again until spring 2021 giving Warners FOUR big DC films next year.

We shall see.