• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Do BioWare Titles Appeal To You? (Women Only)

• Yes

Votes: 17 56.7%
  • No

Votes: 12 40.0%
  • I romanced Anders...I've made some mistakes

Votes: 1 3.3%

• Total voters

BossAttack

Oct 27, 2017
I've been thinking about making such a thread for a while but kept forgetting; well today I remembered. I've long noticed that BioWare titles tend to have a sizeable fanbase of women, especially in the field of RPGs. In fact, one data driven statistical survey a few years back found that women made up 26% of the audience for all WRPGS, but of that 26%, 48% of women had played Dragon Age: Inquisition. In essence, half of all women that played WRPGs had played a BioWare title. Now, there could be a variety of factors that contribute to this statistic such as the fact that BioWare titles allow you to select your gender, also the fact that DA:I was one of the few AAA RPGs titles on the market at that time. However, that same survey found that women made up 14% of players of "Open-World" games and of that 14% base, 27% had placed AC: Syndicate. Now, that's still double the average of women in that the genre which play Syndicate, likely fueled by the addition of a female player-character, but it's still not as high as DA:I's percentage which is basically half of all women WRPG players.

Link to Statistical Survey: https://quanticfoundry.com/2017/01/19/female-gamers-by-genre/

Of course, anecdotally I tend to see far more women who are fans of and engage in discussion about BioWare titles as opposed to Tomb Raider, Assassin's Creed, Horizon, or Resident Evil titles, for example, all of which allow the option to play as a female character. Again, that's just anecdote but it suggests that BioWare is offering something more that appeals to women that other titles don't, even if they feature women as the main character whom aren't overly sexualized.

As such, I wanted to make this thread to get the perspective of the WOMEN on this board, NOT dudes. Men please try and just listen as opposed to offering your guesses and opinions.

So, as a woman that enjoys playing video games (at least theoretically if you're on this board) do BioWare titles appeal to you? If so, please articulate why? Do they appeal to you over other titles with women leads? Also, you can specify if certain BioWare titles appeal to you more, for example you may be far more of a DA fan than Mass Effect and explain why.

I'm interested in hearing the thoughts.

Morrigan

Spear of the Metal Church
Oct 24, 2017
I played a bit of DA:I and Mass Effect 1 and I hated the combat/gameplay. So, no, not a fan. 🤷‍♀️

Ketkat

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I'm a pretty massive Bioware fan, so probably? I had played some of their stuff starting with Neverwinter Nights 1 way back when, but my love for them really only started after I played Dragon Age : Origins. I've always been a big fan of RPGs in general, but the origin stories, the dialogue systems, and the potentials for role playing entirely different characters with pretty different motivations each time was a massive appeal to me. CRPG combat has always been weird to me though, I'm definitely still playing them and working my way through a few of them right now (PoE1 and Pathfinder : Kingmaker), but I've never loved the combat in any Bioware game.

I played Mass Effect 1 - 3 as well, didn't hate the ending of 3 as much as everyone else, but it never gripped me the same way that Dragon Age did. KOTOR 1/2 and Jade Empire all gave me very similar feelings where I enjoyed a lot of where the story was going but the combat was never the appeal. I guess I like a good story, interesting companions, and some role playing options in dialogue. And Bioware's effort towards queer-positive media has been pretty great too!

Never touched Anthem though, I didn't feel like Bioware could make a solid shooter in that style since the initial trailer so I never had interest.

Rowsdower

Prophet of Truth - The Wise Ones
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Canada
I adore the Mass Effect series, and think it's one of the best franchises. The characters/setting is what I love; so good. I think the sci-fi setting helps enhance the plot/characters/gameplay more, since you can tackle a lot of subjects using sci-fi as a backdrop. Also the fact that Shepard can be female and take no shit from anyone is perfect.

The KOTOR series is pretty great, similar reasons for why I like Mass Effect.

However, I'm not the biggest fan of Dragon Age. They're good games, but I'm not so much into the fantasy setting. I'll prefer to watch a playthrough of Dragon Age 4 then play it. I really liked Inquisition though. Vivienne is the best character.

There are a lot more companies I love then Bioware though. Like Capcom. My god the RE fanfics I've read.

Last edited:

Swiggins

was promised a tag
Apr 10, 2018
"New Year New Me says woman about to romance Garrus for the 10th time"

Beth Cyra

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
When they have powerful female characters I can interact with like Miranda? Absolutely.

Being able to romance Traynor was a treat and I adored her character, and they let me be me as the lesbian I am. So again yes.

fun games in general? Yep.

So yep, both a woman and enjoy their games a lot.

Princess Bubblegum

I'll be the one who puts you in the ground.
On Break
Oct 25, 2017
A Cavern Shaped Like Home
I've played Mass Effect 1, Kotor, and most of Dragon Age: Origins. Can't say I'm a big fan but at least I can make the protagonist a woman and romance women in many of their games. Though I'm still bitter to this day that The Warden can't romance Morrigan unless you are a dude.

ItchyTasty

Feb 3, 2019
I love both ME and DA and I guess being able to play as a women has been a part of that, especially since female protagonists hasn't been that common until recently.

Being a woman space jesus and "savior of the galaxy" in Mass Effect felt really empowering, Shepard is the best.

megabyte

Oct 25, 2017
I generally gravitate towards RPGs and the sci-fi setting of the first Mass Effect pulled me into playing more of Bioware's titles. I never gave much thought to being able to choose to play as a woman in those games as being a main factor for playing them. Although recently playing through AC: Odyssey and being able to play a woman in that game (franchise) was incredibly refreshing and empowering (so much so that I bought DLC for the first time in a while) so maybe subconsciously it was a factor back then for playing the BioWare titles?

Someone else noted the strong female characters in the ME series, and I would agree with that as well.

pizzabutt

Apr 28, 2020
I've played Mass Effect 1, Kotor, and most of Dragon Age: Origins. Can't say I'm a big fan but at least I can make the protagonist a woman and romance women in many of their games. Though I'm still bitter to this day that The Warden can't romance Morrigan unless you are a dude.
I remember playing Mass Effect 2 and Inquisition and being upset about not being able to romance Jack or Cassandra, especially with Cassandra's dialogue if you flirt with her as a woman. Idk why Bioware is obsessed with the 'girl who looks gay is actually straight' trope.

Aeana

Oct 25, 2017
Mass Effect has one of the best female lead performances in RPGs. I really enjoy Jennifer Hale delivering all of my dialogue choices.

In general, I think BioWare games present women in more appealing way than a lot of other games, but I personally don't like them more than other stuff or anything.

Smoolio

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Favourite games of all time, pretty much the only games that capture the immersive cinematic role playing with a strong sense of player identity you can infuse. Add on some of the best characters to connect with and damn I just love it so much.

Assassin's creed is getting there, and I'm hoping Cyberpunk is exactly this.

Last edited:

Jotakori

Teyvat Traveler
Oct 25, 2017
Not really, no.
I don't like shooters and am not super into hyper realistic people or western character art style trends; I'm a JRPG kinda gal through and through. Over recent years I've started venturing out into that stuff more, but it's basically just been HZD (which I loved btw), Death Stranding, and TLoU2. I look at most BioWare titles, though, and it's a big fat immediate 'nah' from me. The only one I might try out someday is Dragon Age, cuz I do remember the hype around the last game in some of my social circles at the time, but I wasn't super into video games then so never played it. So if a bunch of my friends pick it up whenever the next one comes out and get crazy into it, I'd potentially give that a go.

Osu 16 Bit

QA Lead at NetherRealm Studios
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
Chicago, IL
KOTOR was the first western rpg I played and I absolutely loved it. Went on to like the Mass Effect and Dragon Age series a lot. A big part of the appeal was definitely having a badass woman as lead character. A lot of the cool supporting cast being women helped too. I've kind of soured on them the past few years but when I stop and think back, they put out some of my favorite games of the past 20 years.