• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Oct 26, 2017
Via The Guardian:
Speaking at the Hay festival on Saturday, Paul Dolan, a professor of behavioural science at the London School of Economics, said the latest evidence showed that the traditional markers used to measure success did not correlate with happiness – particularly marriage and raising children.

"Married people are happier than other population subgroups, but only when their spouse is in the room when they're asked how happy they are. When the spouse is not present: fucking miserable," he said.

"We do have some good longitudinal data following the same people over time, but I am going to do a massive disservice to that science and just say: if you're a man, you should probably get married; if you're a woman, don't bother."

Men benefited from marriage because they "calmed down", he said. "You take less risks, you earn more money at work, and you live a little longer. She, on the other hand, has to put up with that, and dies sooner than if she never married. The healthiest and happiest population subgroup are women who never married or had children," he said.
More at the link. Guess Jordan Peterson was wrong... Again.

kickz

Nov 3, 2017
I guess that supports the cat lady lifestyle, they knew what they were doing

FUME5

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Same.

Serious answer though, the study he references isn't linked, and the Hay Festival link provided just links back to that same article.

Doggg

▲ Legend ▲
Nov 17, 2017
"Married people are happier than other population subgroups, but only when their spouse is in the room when they're asked how happy they are. When the spouse is not present: fucking miserable," he said.

That's hilarious

Dec 23, 2017
I find that happiness starts within you first and foremost. A family should add to that happiness. I know so many single people men and women that are unhappy and depressed. The same thing for some married people. It really starts within.

SageShinigami

Oct 27, 2017
So wait. Am I wrong in interpreting this as saying that men aren't happier either, just less likely to do dumb shit and thus more likely to live longer?

oofouchugh

Oct 29, 2017
Night City
Is there any break down between straight/gay couples with this? I'm feeling like this is entirely a man/woman social dynamic problem.

Noog

▲ Legend ▲
May 1, 2018
I implore you all to take studies like this, hell, studies at all, with a grain of salt.

It's very easy to rearrange data to get the information you want. Knowing nothing about the specific researcher, this data could mean everything or absolutely nothing. Since we've heard the opposite from other studies, perhaps the likely answer is there's no general rule for human happiness. Regardless of sex, gender, race, age, etc., we're all very much individuals. One person's happiness could be another person's misery.

In my opinion, humans are better together. Whether that's a heterosexual or homosexual relationship, a platonic relationship, whatever it may be, we're happier together than alone.

OP
OP
UnpopularBlargh
Oct 26, 2017
Same.

Serious answer though, the study he references isn't linked, and the Hay Festival link provided just links back to that same article.
I found a study from 2008. I think it might be the one that's referenced in the article. Relevant page is 59.
So wait. Am I wrong in interpreting this as saying that men aren't happier either, just less likely to do dumb shit and thus more likely to live longer?
Men statistically don't change in happiness wrt single or married. So I take it if they were unhappy before marriage, it's the same for after.

BasilZero

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Omni
I implore you all to take studies like this, hell, studies at all, with a grain of salt.

It's very easy to rearrange data to get the information you want. Knowing nothing about the specific researcher, this data could mean everything or absolutely nothing. Since we've heard the opposite from other studies, perhaps the likely answer is there's no general rule for human happiness. Regardless of sex, gender, race, age, etc., we're all very much individuals. One person's happiness could be another person's misery.

In my opinion, humans are better together. Whether that's a heterosexual or homosexual relationship, a platonic relationship, whatever it may be, we're happier together than alone.

This

kittens

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I feel like this is mostly just patriarchy though. Like women would be far far happier in life regardless of their child/marriage choices if they were better supported and didn't have to face so much violence, and specifically in this context the enormously widespread violence of domestic abuse. But even beyond domestic violence, there's so many ways women and parents are under supported, isolated, and struggling. Of course people don't want that life.

Lakeside

Oct 25, 2017
Happiness comes from within. Unhappy people in a relationship often externalize it.

It's much easier to blame it on the spouse.

Spinluck

▲ Legend ▲
Avenger
Oct 26, 2017
Chicago
Not surprising. Women shouldn't have to settle anymore, they've done that long enough.

More power to them.

Aine

May 27, 2019
Never had much intention to marry in the future, anyway. Either way, I think I'm doing alright for myself.

Deleted member 23850

Oct 28, 2017
So I'll never find a meaningful partner?

Oct 25, 2017
I'm just trying to think how you even begin to quantify any of that.

Did they measure some sort of happiness mass? Top-percentile etc? Surely there's a time factor at the very least. How do you deal with lows and highs? Is someone with a higher peak happiness happier than someone with a higher baseline? How do you normalize what happiness is, especially self-reported? I'm not sure how to interpret what this actually means.

skeezx

Oct 27, 2017
i would think men are "happier" in that situation too. aside from neckbeard basement dwellers i don't think there's geneder distinction here, but just my hunch

Kirblar

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I know the kids unhappiness effects go away with increased income to offset the price of raising one. This isn't identical though.

CocoaFusion

Oct 28, 2017

Can't say I agree at all with your opinion, sorry so I'm not really surprised by studies like this or how some parts of the world feel about it. Just like you said, there's no general rule for human happiness and that applies also to the idea of whether one is better together or not.

I have zero interest after seeing plenty of experiences and my own in life regarding this togetherness and need of a romantic relationship or children. It's a compromise I'm not really willing to give into ever or shut off some opportunities and experiences for another person. Far more liberating without that.

Oct 26, 2017
The problem is people created the bullshit idea that you won't be happy until you're married, which IMO, is incredibly toxic and the root of issues when families pressure their kids to get married. And then people wonder why there are so many divorces when these same people were taught to seek marriages, but have the mental maturity of a child. Which makes them ill-prepared to deal with situations where you need to compromise with your spouse, or having to sacrifice certain things for the betterment of your spouse.

Happiness starts with you first. Don't live your life based on what people project onto you. Do whatever makes you happy. Whether that means getting that boss job at your workplace, reaching higher levels of education, or what have you. If you expect a marriage to bring you happiness, then your (flawed) line of reasoning is really no different from the incels who assume that a gf would eliminate all their problems and bring true happiness.

CocoaFusion

Oct 28, 2017
The problem is people created the bullshit idea that you won't be happy until you're married, which IMO, is incredibly toxic and the root of issues when families pressure their kids to get married.
This. You don't know how tiring it is to be pressured and pushed in that direction and have your life decided for you until you live in that culture. It's also a bullshit societal norm. Do what you want to make you the best.

lemonade

May 8, 2018
User Banned (1 Day): Drive-by Trolling
The word "Studies" has been tainted. Everyone and their pet dog doing wild studies nowadays.

N.Domixis

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Not surprised.
I'm 27 and single guy and a successful job.
30 years of raising kids with tons of responsibilities or 30 years of gaming with zero responsibilities ?
The choice is easy.

I find looking for a girl to date just to get married is too much work and stress. Fuck all. I just hope my siblings have kids so my parents can have grandchildren.

Pet

More helpful than the IRS
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
SoCal
Now that I think about it, I didn't get acid reflux until my husband moved in with me.

rAndom

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Eh. It's a case to case basis, and there's a lot of factors to consider.

Ultima_5

Oct 25, 2017
Everyone who comments about their lack of children so they have time to play video games are pathetic. Just guessing most responses here.

Same.

Let's not get carried away with fact checking. This is the Internet. We just need something to make snarky comments about

Oct 26, 2017
I️ don't. That's why I️ posted it on a message board vs starting a campaign about it

You just literally said that the people who are happy about being childless to spend that extra time playing games are "pathetic"

And yet, you don't care?

giphy.gif

Deleted member 48897

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 22, 2018
I feel like this is mostly just patriarchy though. Like women would be far far happier in life regardless of their child/marriage choices if they were better supported and didn't have to face so much violence, and specifically in this context the enormously widespread violence of domestic abuse. But even beyond domestic violence, there's so many ways women and parents are under supported, isolated, and struggling. Of course people don't want that life.

Yeah it's like there's a lot of "happiness comes from within" and, like, the brain is the happiness generator and whatnot, sure.

But there's a reason that materialist history/philosophy exists, and this is a lot of it right here.

Oct 27, 2017

I think we're better in a group. With ample time for yourself also.

Baji Boxer

Chicken Chaser
Oct 27, 2017
I think the conclusion is way too broad, as marriages take a lot of different forms.

Darknight34

Banned
Apr 29, 2018
Kidding: should this site/gaming quit existing because there is so much complaining? We'd all be happier without it around. This study is humorous at face value.