• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

SilentPanda

Nov 6, 2017
Earth
A Pennsylvania woman facing charges that she helped steal a laptop from the office of the House speaker, Nancy Pelosi, during the attack on the US Capitol will be released from jail, a federal judge decided on Thursday.

US magistrate judge Martin Carlson directed that Riley June Williams be released into the custody of her mother, with travel restrictions, and instructed her to appear on Monday in federal court in Washington to continue her case.

"The gravity of these offenses is great," Carlson told Williams. "It cannot be overstated."

The FBI says an unidentified former romantic partner of Williams tipped them off that she appeared in video from the 6 January rioting and the tipster claimed she had hoped to sell the computer to Russian intelligence.

Williams's defense lawyer, Lori Ulrich, told Carlson the tipster is a former boyfriend who had been abusive to Williams and that "his accusations are overstated".

In adding the theft-related charges on Tuesday, a Virginia-based FBI agent said Williams was recorded on closed-circuit cameras in the Capitol going into and coming out of Pelosi's office.

The agent's affidavit said a cellphone video that was probably shot by Williams shows a man's gloved hand lifting an HP laptop from a table, and the caption read, "they got the laptop".

www.theguardian.com

Woman who allegedly helped steal Pelosi laptop to be released from jail

Federal judge directed that Riley June Williams be released into the custody of her mother, with travel restrictions

Stealing government information and planning to sell to other country and can release from jail?

Sunster

The Fallen
Oct 5, 2018
If they determined she's not a flight risk then I guess I don't see any problem with this.

Of course everyone should be afforded this privilege tho

Dyle

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
It's the pandemic, very few nonviolent offenders are being kept in jail prior to sentencing. I doubt this should be read as anything beyond that.

finfinfin

The Fallen
Jul 26, 2018
"unidentified" lol yeah we all saw the tweet and it owned

also screw her lawyer for misgendering them

Darknight

"I'd buy that for a dollar!"
Oct 25, 2017
There's context missing from here. First, they're released on bail with restrictions. Second, the judge railed on her failed attempt at insurrection and rubbed it in that the fact that she can get released on bail is because she failed.

shinobi602

Verified
Oct 24, 2017
US magistrate judge Martin Carlson directed that Riley June Williams be released into the custody of her mother, with travel restrictions, and instructed her to appear on Monday in federal court in Washington to continue her case.

"The gravity of these offenses is great," Carlson told Williams. "It cannot be overstated."
Sounds like she's just on house arrest until her trial.

laikalot

May 30, 2020

Kamek

Oct 27, 2017
Was there a bail? How could she be let out? If she was planning on sending info to Russia - how it it not in the best public interest for no bail.

Watchtower

Oct 27, 2017
So she's on house arrest until she's on trial. Makes sense considering the covid situations in jails.
There's context missing from here. First, they're released on bail with restrictions. Second, the judge railed on her failed attempt at insurrection and rubbed it in that the fact that she can get released on bail is because she failed.

Considering this whole laptop episode makes her guilty of attempted treason I'd still say she's getting off extremely whitely.

Z-Beat

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
So she's effectively out on bail until the trial? Seems nuts for what's basically treason

nsilvias

Oct 25, 2017
prisons have a covid problem. they arent going to put someone in a high profile case in there and risk them dying before there trial

EJS

The Fallen - Self Requested Ban
Banned
Oct 31, 2017
I heard about this. Did they prove she was going to sell the laptop or had intentions or did her ex-boyfriend speculate? Not doubting it necessarily, I just haven't caught up entirely.

Powdered Egg

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Lmao white privilege wins again.

She may as well start a gofundme and leave the country with her new millions rather than face trial.

Sylvestre

Banned
Mar 20, 2020
She's still going to face trial and probably time
most people are released on bail awaiting their trials, otherwise prisons would be full(er)

rjinaz

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Phoenix
People here are acting like the verdict has already been rendered...
No, I think some just realize if this was a Black man there is no way he would be getting sent home to his momma.

Anyway, it sucks if her boyfriend was abusive as she claims, but I really don't see how that has any bearings on her case? What is her lawyer's argument? That it doesn't count that she did this because the person that reported it is a piece of shit? Nah just trying to find sympathy with the judge. Maybe it worked.

Simplegamer

Oct 26, 2017
Are we surprised? We already know how the system works. If she does get charged it will probably be a slap on the wrist. I will honestly be more surprised if she gets 5+ years which is sad.

Silex

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
No, I think some just realize if this was a Black man there is no way he would be getting sent home to his momma.
I agree, but the way ERA reacts to stories like these, you get the sense they would rather white people be treated by criminal justice system the same way it treats black people, instead of black people receiving the same justice as white people.

Last edited:

Kenstar

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Earth
I agree, but the way ERA reacts to stories like these, you get the sense they would rather white people be treated by criminal justice system the same way it treats black people, instead of black people receiving the same justice as white people.
I wish PoC seditionists stealing government property to be sold to foreign actors also dont get to chill at home and hope the little ankle bracelet will stop them from divulging any state secrets gleamed from the stolen government property.

this isnt people wishing a nice white lady gets shot during a routine traffic stop while reaching for her wallet or something

Silex

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I wish PoC seditionists stealing government property to be sold to foreign actors also dont get to walk free

this isnt people wishing a nice white lady gets shot during a routine traffic stop while reaching for her wallet or something
If she is not a flight risk, then I don't see what there is to be outraged about what is essentially placing her under house arrest.

Tacitus

Oct 25, 2017
The americans just can't help themselves.