• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

LL_Decitrig

User-Requested Ban
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Sunderland
This actually sounds like a nightmare. Is there a precedent for comatose patients waking up after that long? I can only imagine her going through a prolonged period of shock, assuming she has memory

Awakenings is Oliver Sacks' personal account of a drug trial that temporarily brought back to full consciousness some patients who had been in a coma-like state for four decades due to an epidemic of encephalitis lethargica. According to Sacks' later writing, the drug did successfully revive some patients permanently to normal brain function.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Awakenings_(book)

Serpens007

Well, Tosca isn't for everyone
Oct 31, 2017
Chile
Incredible to think how much stuff has changed since then (and how much hasn't)

"oh boy, cannot wait to hear my favortie pop singer on the radio stations"

MajesticSoup

Banned
Feb 22, 2019
Was she asleep?

I wonder If it's true that people are actually completely conscious when they're in a vegetative state. They just cant move...

LL_Decitrig

User-Requested Ban
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Sunderland
Yeah it's fuckin nuts. I can only imagine her waking up to a man who says is her son and he takes out a rectangle from his pocket, taps on it and tells his family she is awake.

A lot of ERA people are really obsessed with the idea of smartphones as some wonderful advance. We had mobile telephony three decades ago. The Emirates in particular have been used to high technology for longer than most ERA posters have been alive.

Oct 27, 2017
It's incredible, but it immediately makes me think about all of the people who end up in similar situations but who's families either don't have the resources for that kind of long term care or are convinced that it is hopeless and have their lives terminated. Every so often a high profile case about someone who's been in a vegetative state for a decade or so hits the news when the family starts having a battle about rather to terminate them or not.

I think it's a very open question as to whether this kind of long-term care is even the most humane option.

upandaway

Oct 25, 2017
Wait so she woke up like 2 years after being transferred to a german hospital where they gave her different treatment?

Does that mean she could have woken up earlier if it was done earlier? It would be terrifying to think if there was negligence involved but it could also have just been technological progress

Max|Payne

Oct 27, 2017
Portugal
Wait so she woke up like 2 years after being transferred to a german hospital where they gave her different treatment?

Does that mean she could have woken up earlier if it was done earlier? It would be terrifying to think if there was negligence involved but it could also have just been technological progress
Could be a brand new experimental treatment.

IDreamOfHime

Oct 27, 2017
That's so crazy, I actually misread it the 1st time and thought she was 4 years old when she went in the coma, which would have been even crazier.

The Albatross

Oct 25, 2017
What are her mental faculties like? I'd imagine being in a coma for so long would either be the result of severe deterioration, or mental acquity would lapse just based on the amount of time, or some other factors... but I've never really known.

Musubi

Unshakable Resolve - Prophet of Truth
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Man. Holy shit. I cannot imagine having a 27 year hiatus between what you last knew the world as and waking up to find yourself 27 years older and the world around you completely changed.

Jindrax

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I always wonder how this works. You're suddenly 60. You didn't work because come so I'm guessing no pension rights?

What do you do for money?

Also are you still young in your head but trapped in an old body?

Baladium

Banned
Apr 18, 2018
Sleep Deprivation Zone
Oh shit, I can't wait to see the new Sega console

Bill-Murray-Laughs-Then-Turns-Sad.gif

LL_Decitrig

User-Requested Ban
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Sunderland
I always wonder how this works. You're suddenly 60. You didn't work because come so I'm guessing no pension rights?

What do you do for money?

Also are you still young in your head but trapped in an old body?

In the UK you'd be entitled to things like Pension Credit Guarantee, and possibly Personal Independence Payment based on your remaining disabilities. Housing Benefit would help with rent if you had no family to live with.

Metal B

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
"You were in a coma between 1991 and 2019!"
"Oh man ... but at least in can experience flying cars, visiting space, explore full body virtual realty and world peace."
"Well ... those things still aren't a reality."
"Oh my god! The future is a post-apocalypse after the machines took over, companies rule the world and there are mutants everywhere, because of all the Atom-bombs humanity dropped!"
"... kind of ... but not really"
"So the future is similar to the 90s?"
"Similar and worse, but in a boring way"
"Ohhh...."

bionic77

Oct 25, 2017
Will she be able to walk or do anything after being in a bed for the past 27 years?

I remember my leg shrunk to half of its size a month after my ACL surgery. What the hell happens to your body when its stuck in a bed for 27 years?

Z-Beat

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Her kid is almost as old as she was the last time she was awake. That's gonna be rough to adjust to.

Dec 31, 2017
That's...something. Pretty remarkable but scary at the same time.

Will she be able to walk or do anything after being in a bed for the past 27 years?

I remember my leg shrunk to half of its size a month after my ACL surgery. What the hell happens to your body when its stuck in a bed for 27 years?

She had been undergoing physiotherapy and had a few surgeries to maintain muscle functionality. Unsure how far that goes to practical usage, but she wasn't completely unstimulated for all those years.

LL_Decitrig

User-Requested Ban
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Sunderland

It's a serious problem and is addressed by physiotherapy targetting the nerves and muscles that are most vulnerable to wasting. Success over that kind of timescale is likely to be very low. I'd expect her to have difficulty moving around without a motorised wheelchair at least for the near future.

DrEvil

Developer
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Canada
I wonder if she dreamt at all, and if so, was it one long continuous dream (as in, she lived a 27 year long dream), and is waking up shattering the reality her own mind created for her?

Imagine living in a 27 year lucid dream, only to forget that entire life, with only a faint glimmer of memory of it ever happening upon waking up.

TheBaldwin

Feb 25, 2018
Shes been in a coma 5 years longer then ive been alive

Crazy. I cannot imagine the panic of the amount of change to family, history, technological changes.

bionic77

Oct 25, 2017
That's...something. Pretty remarkable but scary at the same time.

She had been undergoing physiotherapy and had a few surgeries to maintain muscle functionality. Unsure how far that goes to practical usage, but she wasn't completely unstimulated for all those years.
It's a serious problem and is addressed by physiotherapy targetting the nerves and muscles that are most vulnerable to wasting. Success over that kind of timescale is likely to be very low. I'd expect her to have difficulty moving around without a motorised wheelchair at least for the near future.
Interesting.

Well hopefully she can recover enough to move around and live a normal life.

LL_Decitrig

User-Requested Ban
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Sunderland
Her kid is almost as old as she was the last time she was awake. That's gonna be rough to adjust to.

I still wake up some days and see my kids who are in their thirties and wonder how that happened so suddenly. I helped to deliver them, I changed their nappies and told them bedtime stories and taught them, and now they're amazing adults who are about the same age I was when they were born. I was there all the time, but as they grew more independent a mental distancing intervened, giving them the space to grow. So it's probably not so different. The main difference would be not having the personal growth I have had, and that in part is due to the experience of parenting.

Glasfrut

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
I still wake up some days and see my kids who are in their thirties and wonder how that happened so suddenly. I helped to deliver them, I changed their nappies and told them bedtime stories and taught them, and now they're amazing adults who are about the same age I was when they were born. I was there all the time, but as they grew more independent a mental distancing intervened, giving them the space to grow. So it's probably not so different. The main difference would be not having the personal growth I have had, and that in part is due to the experience of parenting.

This is fucking me up - she didn't get to do even half of that. She wasn't there to see her son do so much. Forget even the technological or cultural changes in the world. She missed out on seeing her son grow into a man.

Downhome

Oct 27, 2017
What an incredible story.

I know this isn't her, but I can't help but wonder how it would be for me to have gone into a coma in 1992 at 12 years old and then waking up 27 years later and all of a sudden being 38, almost 39. I'd love to read some stories about children that fell into a coma, woke up as full grown adults, and how they coped with that and moved on from it. Do any of you know of any true stories like that at all? Talk about an even bigger shock and adjustment.