• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Messofanego

Oct 25, 2017
UK
What would that achieve ? Really ?
The same thing why there's a thread here and why you're posting in it. Awareness.

It's such a side track discussion to have about effectiveness of protests, to put so much responsibility on small groups with little power on what they are achieving with their protests, but we don't hold the people in power who are responsible for our planet's destruction to the same scrutiny and attacks.

Josh378

Oct 27, 2017
Here is the problem: People won't care until what convinence they enjoyed is now gone. Fresh water? Mild Convenience weather? Grocery stores? Yea, that's going bye bye in 30 to 50 years. Boomers now don't care because they'll be gone, millennials will be boomers at that point and we will be the ones that the future generation will lash at because we allowed this to happen because we didn't fight enough for our survival when it mattered due to inconvenience.

Yea, we laugh at Max Max/The Last of Us/The Purge-type movies, but that's the kind of environment we are heading to when resources are thin and now water will be the next gold for survival.

It's so sad that our human races are reactional and not a future forward planning race. It's sad really... Don't be surprised in 20-30 years from now you start seeing young to middle age Billionaires building fortresses or hiding out on islands. The same ppl who currently destroying the environment now are creating their very own safe haven.

This is what the lady is fighting for now, And I guarantee you and about 30 to 50 years her picture will be on photos in museums on protesters who fought for the Earth.

Milky Way

Oct 29, 2017
More awarensss? Is it really that hard to grasp

I know. It's so funny (but also horribly depressing) reading these. What do they think it's going to achieve? For climate change to be fixed tomorrow? There are so so many people not comprehending and understanding exactly what's happening/what's about to happen, so many ignorant (or not) that don't even believe in it. We need to raise awareness and talk about this. All. The. Time. Every single day we should be talking about this. There is literally nothing more important. The fact that this thread has so many responses is getting us to talk about it with more people. That's the damn point.

DongBeetle

Oct 25, 2017
I know. It's so funny (but also horribly depressing) reading these. What do they think it's going to achieve? For climate change to be fixed tomorrow? There are so so many people not comprehending and understanding exactly what's happening/what's about to happen, so many ignorant (or not) that don't even believe in it. We need to raise awareness and talk about this. All. The. Time. Every single day we should be talking about this. There is literally nothing more important. The fact that this thread has so many responses is getting us to talk about it with more people. That's the damn point.
The anti science takes don't come out until fun time hobbies or money are involved

DongBeetle

Oct 25, 2017
Here is the problem: People won't care until what convinence they enjoyed is now gone. Fresh water? Mild Convenience weather? Grocery stores? Yea, that's going bye bye in 30 to 50 years. Boomers now don't care because they'll be gone, millennials will be boomers at that point and we will be the ones that the future generation will lash at because we allowed this to happen because we didn't fight enough for our survival when it mattered due to inconvenience.

Yea, we laugh at Max Max/The Last of Us/The Purge-type movies, but that's the kind of environment we are heading to when resources are thin and now water will be the next gold for survival.

It's so sad that our human races are reactional and not a future forward planning race. It's sad really... Don't be surprised in 20-30 years from now you start seeing young to middle age Billionaires building fortresses or hiding out on islands. The same ppl who currently destroying the environment now are creating their very own safe haven.

This is what the lady is fighting for now, And I guarantee you and about 30 to 50 years her picture will be on photos in museums on protesters who fought for the Earth.
People here are only willing to compromise on things they don't give a shit about. AKA we're basically fucked

elLOaSTy

Oct 27, 2017
If people think this is obnoxious then just wait, I imagine this is a small but regular example of what to expect soon and as desperation increases things will ultimately get violent.

Amnesty

Nov 7, 2017
The funny thing is that Tennis gets delays and breaks all the time, whether it's because of rain during a match or a player is taking too long in the washroom (lookin at you Tsitsipas) or for medical reasons. A 15 minute protest isn't that big of a deal, especially when it's an important message.

StereoVSN

Nov 1, 2017
Eastern US
if i was in the crowd i probably would have been pissed in the same way that a fan running disturbing the game would be pissed. and i think the people at the game have every right to be pissed honestly. still this is a harmless form of protest and while im not convinced its effective i dont mind it and will turn a blind eye because i believe in the message.
They would be pissed off because, god forbid, a tennis match got interrupted for 15 min? I mean, come on. Also, we are all fucked anyway I guess. China, India, for example, are increasing fossil fuel use and its projected to rise for next 20 years there. Not that US is doing much.

NCR Ranger

Oct 25, 2017
Missed this, but as far as I can tell no one was hurt and nothing irreplaceable was damaged, so protests like this I am fine with.

Aliand

Oct 28, 2017
More awarensss? Is it really that hard to grasp

The same thing why there's a thread here and why you're posting in it. Awareness.

It's such a side track discussion to have about effectiveness of protests, to put so much responsibility on small groups with little power on what they are achieving with their protests, but we don't hold the people in power who are responsible for our planet's destruction to the same scrutiny and attacks.

My take is that at this point awareness is not what is lacking. People know shit's happening but they don't care. Simply.

If someone wants to preach for a change (which is better than awareness), then getting people onboard rather antagonising or dividing would be for me a better solution. Getting sport stars, singers, etc... Who can be more vocal to pass and spread the message, getting them to ask for accountability from the politicians.

Hijacking a sport event, slashing tyres, blocking road is an action and has immediate results. But I doubt anyone getting blocked in traffic will appreciate the awareness or understand how this is saving the planet. The intention is good, the mean is not.

Nov 3, 2021
My take is that at this point awareness is not what is lacking. People know shit's happening but they don't care. Simply.
No, they know shit is happening, and they would care about it if they thought about it, but they are intentionally not thinking about it.

Most issues are like that. It's not so much "awareness" as "reminder". And nothing makes people angry like reminding them of the exact thing they are intentionally not thinking about.

Sec0nd

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017

If someone wants to preach for a change (which is better than awareness), then getting people onboard rather antagonising or dividing would be for me a better solution. Getting sport stars, singers, etc... Who can be more vocal to pass and spread the message, getting them to ask for accountability from the politicians.

Hijacking a sport event, slashing tyres, blocking road is an action and has immediate results. But I doubt anyone getting blocked in traffic will appreciate the awareness or understand how this is saving the planet. The intention is good, the mean is not.
People know what they eat are dead animals. But sometimes you gotta show them images of actual slaughterhouses to make them realize.

Obviously that doesn't always work for everyone. But the people that get upset by this specific incident wouldn't have cared either way. They wouldn't have changed their minds, or undertook some kind of action, if they got sent a nicely worded letter with a box of chocolates either.

The slashing tires person or the Mono Lisa guy were idiots though.

No, they know shit is happening, and they would care about it if they thought about it, but they are intentionally not thinking about it.

Most issues are like that. It's not so much "awareness" as "reminder". And nothing makes people angry like reminding them of the exact thing they are intentionally not thinking about.
Damn. Never looked at it like that.

Red Liquorice

Oct 27, 2017
UK
I think these kinds of protests have legs. Like I know at the time a lot of people just roll their eyes and think "nutter" (seen it said in this thread even) but I always think about how every time there's something on TV here about gay rights they always show the news footage of when a group of lesbians protested a live news broadcast on the BBC in the 80s to protest Section 28 (iirc) - I remember this happening at the time and it was very likely met with the same general reaction as protests today (no doubt the newspapers had some lovely things to say too) - but now these women are looked on as heroes and trailblazers who were completely in the right and did something we should all be thankful for.

Key word: perspective. Few people will care about a single sports game in a decade or two, they might care that there were people trying to do something or bring awareness back then though.

Coyote Starrk

The Fallen
Oct 30, 2017
Convenient protests don't work. The only thing a convenient, non-disruptive protest does is give privileged folks who are least affected the opportunity to better ignore the problem.
I am not talking about "protests" I am talking about an informational message being played in a theater style setting before every movie starts. It does not need to be obtrusive or annoying to get the message across.

I explained that across the posts I made after the one you quoted.

Sidewinder

Oct 25, 2017
Well done! Who cares about mildly inconveniencing a sport event and their fans, shit like this should happen all over the planet all the time.

Messofanego

Oct 25, 2017
UK

Respectability politics isn't the all-size solution to someone who would be violently against disruptive protests. There have been peaceful climate change protests for decades that haven't moved the needle on actions to help the planet. And I'm not expecting peaceful protests to be very effective, that's just too much pressure. People keep villainising about letting air out of tyres (also it's quite telling that you framed it as "slashing tyres" which conjures up a more violent action that is easy to villainise rather than the truth of letting air out of tyres), but each person got a nicely worded pamphlet on their windshield to explain why they did it. Throughout history, nicely worded and welcoming peaceful protests aren't what got civil movements to be recognised by policymakers. They might help at times monetarily, when celebs in concerts make a bid for people to donate to charities. But if they're easily ignored, then people won't go out and support unless if they're feeling especially altruistic in the moment. And even the protests or actions to get people onboard have some aggression to them, because calls to action can work like that. Yes I have a bias towards disruptive protests versus peaceful protests just because my people were liberated from colonisation through violence and disruption, but I just want to give reasoning for my stance, and at the end of the day we can just disagree. However this is why focusing on the effectiveness of a protest is a diversion and getting into the weeds about it is just a navel-gazing exercise. It's multinational billion dollar companies and governments that have the most power in effecting change, and yes aggressive disruptive action against them has worked at times to not let people ignore and actually do something.

LumberPanda

Feb 3, 2019
The current strategy of "don't ever mention it in any way that the elite say you aren't allowed to mention it" clearly isn't accomplishing anything either, folks. Get the boot outta ya mouths

Aliand

Oct 28, 2017
Respectability politics isn't the all-size solution to someone who would be violently against disruptive protests. There have been peaceful climate change protests for decades that haven't moved the needle on actions to help the planet. And I'm not expecting peaceful protests to be very effective, that's just too much pressure. People keep villainising about letting air out of tyres (also it's quite telling that you framed it as "slashing tyres" which conjures up a more violent action that is easy to villainise rather than the truth of letting air out of tyres), but each person got a nicely worded pamphlet on their windshield to explain why they did it. Throughout history, nicely worded and welcoming peaceful protests aren't what got civil movements to be recognised by policymakers. They might help at times monetarily, when celebs in concerts make a bid for people to donate to charities. But if they're easily ignored, then people won't go out and support unless if they're feeling especially altruistic in the moment. And even the protests or actions to get people onboard have some aggression to them, because calls to action can work like that. Yes I have a bias towards disruptive protests versus peaceful protests just because my people were liberated from colonisation through violence and disruption, but I just want to give reasoning for my stance, and at the end of the day we can just disagree. However this is why focusing on the effectiveness of a protest is a diversion and getting into the weeds about it is just a navel-gazing exercise. It's multinational billion dollar companies and governments that have the most power in effecting change, and yes aggressive disruptive action against them has worked at times to not let people ignore and actually do something.
You missed my point.
If you or anyone else manages to get let's say Beyonce / Bono / LeBron / Mbappe / Hamilton / Nadal to jointly raise a stand on their social media and ask for a concrete list of measures to be taken, that will have more impact than any nicely deflated tyre or sticking anyone in traffic.
The end result can justify the means if you have the power to reach the end result. For a problem that affects the whole world, you should try and get people onboard, as many as you can, not push them to the other side by antagonising them. That's what I meant.

JasoNsider

Developer
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Canada
However this is why focusing on the effectiveness of a protest is a diversion and getting into the weeds about it is just a navel-gazing exercise

I just want to re-iterate this point. It was a big learning moment for me years ago when I realized that if you are focusing more on strategy and "effectiveness" then you are not engaging with the heart of the issue. I get why it's almost a natural instinct, often stemming from defensiveness or even annoyance from inconvenience. However, we all need to move beyond armchair critiquing of a movement's strategy and instead fully engage with the issues that movement is putting on the table.

Deleted member 93841

User-requested account closure
Banned
Mar 17, 2021
I just want to re-iterate this point. It was a big learning moment for me years ago when I realized that if you are focusing more on strategy and "effectiveness" then you are not engaging with the heart of the issue. I get why it's almost a natural instinct, often stemming from defensiveness or even annoyance from inconvenience. However, we all need to move beyond armchair critiquing of a movement's strategy and instead fully engage with the issues that movement is putting on the table.

Can only add my voice to this. Back in 2014 in South Africa when the university fees protests started, my kneejerk reaction was to criticise them for disrupting classes and exams. I later came around to the cause and realised how shitty it was of me to complain about being inconvenienced when I had peers who, if not for the constant fee increases, could become the first people in their families to pursue university education after Apartheid.

Ironically, I probably wouldn't have changed my mind had they not been so disruptive and forced me to engage.