• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Coyote Starrk

The Fallen
Oct 30, 2017
That's .... my point?

It's easy to champion this when random SUV drivers or a French Open quarter final - aka shit you don't care about - are interrupted.

But god forbid your Marvel movie experience be dampened right?
I know that was your point. You seemed to have missed mine though. An ad being played directly before the opening scene of a film on the situation and how the average person can help either through charity or personal choices gets the message across just the same without directly affecting the quality of what the people have paid for. It would also be much more informative than a simple watermark being on the screen for a minute or so. Which does nothing basically.

Something does not need to be annoying or an inconvenience to have an effect. That was my point.

Edit: Also in case you missed it I am 100% okay with this protest. I said so in my first post on the thread.

Last edited:

Hasseigaku

Oct 30, 2017
I think my favorite part of the thread is someone who has repeatedly defended crypto hand wringing about this being the wrong type of protest.

Hint: the only protest the powers that be find acceptable are ones they can easily ignore. They can easily ignore dedicated climate protests but if you interrupt a game people are watching you have more of a chance of making an impact.

And on top of the faux hand wringing sports are an enormous source of carbon emissions and land waste. So fuck your propriety.

Davidion

Charitable King
Oct 27, 2017
That's good. You can make the argument that destroying personal property and disrupting important societal functions like emergency care is putting some onus on individuals, sure. But this is some public display in disruption of leisure, and anyone who's outraged by this is too vapid to really take seriously. Oh no boohoo someone's inconveniencing my entertainment; go cry about it on the mountain.

Harder part is making this the public norm.

Messofanego

Oct 25, 2017
UK
www.ipcc.ch

Climate Change 2022: Impacts, Adaptation and Vulnerability

Intergovernmental Panel on Climate Change Working Group II contribution to the Sixth Assessment Report

The latest UN report on climate change is pretty damning, so I'm not surprised people aware of this knowledge and our impending doom will take to action while the rest of conservative and liberal populous tut-tuts protests and screams to do something. This is the biggest existential threat of our times. Due to this awareness and news of this protest, how many of you are now going to read the report or find out what's happening when you didn't know before?

A report released Monday by the Intergovernmental Panel on Climate Change is a litany of broken climate promises. Together with the IPCC's previous two reports on physical science and adaptation in the past year, it reveals the yawning gap between climate pledges and reality. And the reality is that we are speeding toward disastrous global warming of more than double the limit of 1.5 degrees Celsius by 2100, as cited in the Paris agreement of 2016.​
So far, high-emitting governments and corporations are not just turning a blind eye; they are adding fuel to the flames by continuing to invest in climate-choking industries. Scientists warn that we are already perilously close to tipping points that could lead to cascading and irreversible climate effects.​
The new IPCC report arrives in a period of extraordinary global political and economic turbulence that has further jeopardized efforts to address climate change. Energy prices spiked after Russia's invasion of Ukraine, prompting several nations to increase fossil-fuel production. In the long run, that will only make matters worse.​
The IPCC report lays out a saner, safer approach, one that would get the world back on track by using renewable solutions that provide green jobs, energy security and greater price stability.​
This report is a blueprint to bring us back to the 1.5-degree pledge that nearly 200 nations made in Paris and renewed at the COP26 gathering in Glasgow, Scotland, in November.​
We left Scotland with a naive optimism, based on new promises and commitments. But the main problem — the enormous, growing emissions gap — was all but ignored.​
The science is clear. To keep the 1.5-degree limit within reach, we need to cut global emissions by 45 percent this decade. But current climate pledges would mean a 14 percent increase in emissions. And most major emitters are not taking the steps needed to fulfill even these inadequate promises.​
Leaders who claim to be protecting their people by doubling down on fossil fuels are doing the exact opposite: throwing their people to the wolves of energy insecurity, price volatility and climate chaos.​

news.un.org

UN climate report: It’s ‘now or never’ to limit global warming to 1.5 degrees

A new flagship UN report on climate change out Monday indicating that harmful carbon emissions from 2010-2019 have never been higher in human history, is proof that the world is on a “fast track” to disaster, António Guterres has warned, with scientists arguing that it’s ‘now or never’ to limit...
"We are at a crossroads. The decisions we make now can secure a liveable future," said IPCC Chair Hoesung Lee. "I am encouraged by climate action being taken in many countries. There are policies, regulations and market instruments that are proving effective. If these are scaled up and applied more widely and equitably, they can support deep emissions reductions and stimulate innovation."​
To limit global warming to around 1.5C (2.7°F), the IPCC report insisted that global greenhouse gas emissions would have to peak "before 2025 at the latest, and be reduced by 43 per cent by 2030".​
A great deal of importance is attached to IPCC assessments because they provide governments with scientific information that they can use to develop climate policies.​
They also play a key role in international negotiations to tackle climate change.​
Among the sustainable and emissions-busting solutions that are available to governments, the IPCC report emphasised that rethinking how cities and other urban areas function in future could help significantly in mitigating the worst effects of climate change.​
"These (reductions) can be achieved through lower energy consumption (such as by creating compact, walkable cities), electrification of transport in combination with low-emission energy sources, and enhanced carbon uptake and storage using nature," the report suggested. "There are options for established, rapidly growing and new cities," it said.​
Echoing that message, IPCC Working Group III Co-Chair, Priyadarshi Shukla, insisted that "the right policies, infrastructure and technology…to enable changes to our lifestyles and behaviour, can result in a 40 to 70 per cent reduction in greenhouse gas emissions by 2050. "The evidence also shows that these lifestyle changes can improve our health and wellbeing."​

excelsiorlef

Bad Praxis
Oct 25, 2017
sorry, like I said I might be just pessimistic but my first instinct to think there's a financial incentive behind this kind of stuff. I'm saying this from experience of working in academic research and knowing a lot of friends who have seen the same thing in various fields.

So basically nothing anyone tells you will convince you that climate change fears aren't people lying for $$$?

DongBeetle

Oct 25, 2017
You cannot be serious. They're not protesting climate change if their only objective is to get 30 seconds of attention for being a Karen. Some of you may feel "radical" by supporting it, but the rest of us are just kinda chuckling, ya know?
You're pretty far from help if you think this is an issue worth chuckling about

Royalan

I can say DEI; you can't.
Oct 24, 2017
I actually don't have much issue with this, at least in comparison to the other recent protests I only remember because they got threads.

But I also hope these people are getting involved, especially after having just worked a very big deal primary that was woefully short on volunteers.

DongBeetle

Oct 25, 2017
if you're going to act like an asshole and interrupt an event that millions of people who paid a lot of money to enjoy, which is also not on public property that you have no right to enter

fuck whatever your cause is
Yeah money over human existence. Jesus fuck. Sports are not more important than the lives of your kids lol. The people in the know have done the research and are coming to shockingly similar conclusions, you don't have any answers

spam musubi

Oct 25, 2017
Sure, but it's an absolutely terrible way to get people on your side. Even the SUV nerds put a leaflet on hoods even though they're scumbag fucking dorks. This person is nothing but a moron who embarrassed herself in front of a crowd. Grats on wasting your day I guess. Everyone who was in attendance and everyone who reads about it is about to eat dinner and never ever think about it again.

What will it take for you (or those people) to take climate seriously?

clmartin

Banned
Apr 1, 2022
I know that was your point. You seemed to have missed mine though. An ad being played directly before the opening scene of a film on the situation and how the average person can help either through charity or personal choices gets the message across just the same without directly affecting the quality of what the people have paid for. It would also be much more informative than a simple watermark being on the screen for a minute or so. Which does nothing basically.

Something does not need to be annoying or an inconvenience to have an effect. That was my point.

Edit: Also in case you missed it I am 100% okay with this protest. I said so in my first post on the thread.
I am aware you're ok with this protest.

That's my point.

I'm aware that you're ok with an ad playing before the movie.

That's my point.

But if the cinema stopped the movie as the portals were opening to play an unavoidable climate change PSA, you'd scream bloody murder.

That's my point.

Oh, you paid $30 for your ticket? How about the French Open fans who paid $300 for theirs? How about the players who have trained their entire lives only to have their concentration broken at a critical moment? What about the SUV drivers who had to get to their jobs or pick up kids from school?

Fuck 'em, because this is a necessary inconvenience right?

But by god you paid $30 for a movie ticket and showed up early for good seats so there better not be any fucking words on the screen when you don't want them there.

That's my point.

Hasseigaku

Oct 30, 2017
In order to truly change things to give more people able to have a habitable future wide swaths of society need to change to more ecological friendly ways of being.

Like the slower we do this, the more harm and suffering will be inflicted upon people, mostly people who had nothing to do with this at all.

So what this woman was protesting for was to save untold amounts of lives and mitigate unparalleled amounts of suffering. That is why these protests have been so desperate lately—people see the inaction and they don't know what else to do but scream in the most public way they know how the danger we are facing.

If you think that that cause is no longer worthy of support because it interrupted your leisure time you are pretty far gone.

But hey, at least when deadly temperatures kill people in India and drought starves people in Africa you can take comfort in the fact that you got to watch millionaires hit a ball uninterrupted

Thordinson

Aug 1, 2018
Sure, but it's an absolutely terrible way to get people on your side. Even the SUV nerds put a leaflet on hoods even though they're scumbag fucking dorks. This person is nothing but a moron who embarrassed herself in front of a crowd. Grats on wasting your day I guess. Everyone who was in attendance and everyone who reads about it is about to eat dinner and never ever think about it again.

There is nothing for a lot of folks that will get them on the side of saving the planet until it affects them.

Peaceful protesting during a tennis match is too much for those folks. Indigenous activists destroying pipeline equipment is definitely too much for those folks. Both of these are valid forms of protest and should continue to be done.

You can't change their minds until they feel it affect them.

DongBeetle

Oct 25, 2017

That's my point.

That's my point.

But if the cinema stopped the movie as the portals were opening to play an unavoidable climate change PSA, you'd scream bloody murder.

That's my point.

Oh, you paid $30 for your ticket? How about the French Open fans who paid $300 for theirs? How about the players who have trained their entire lives only to have their concentration broken at a critical moment? What about the SUV drivers who had to get to their jobs or pick up kids from school?

But by god you paid $30 for a movie ticket and showed up early for good seats so there better not be any fucking words on the screen when you don't want them there.

That's my point.
Why would I give a shit if they played a climate change PSA during a movie? It's a fucking consumer event. Jesus fuck. Even fucking consumer events are too sacred to do anything about climate change

Coyote Starrk

The Fallen
Oct 30, 2017

That's my point.

That's my point.

That's my point.

That's my point.
Of course I'd be pissed if they stopped a movie I paid for at the climax to play an ad. Most normal people would be.

That doesn't prove anything though. That doesn't mean I don't care about climate change. I drove a Prius for years and recently switched to a Corolla hybrid. I recycle. I do loads of other small things that I know help a little. Because I know if we all do a bunch of little things it can have a bigger impact.

Intentionally inconveniencing people by deflating their tires, smearing shit all over a priceless painting that some people traveled from across the world to see, or interrupting their movies during the climax does not achieve anything other than pissing people off. You can get the message across much easier and much more educationally in the way that I described with a well put together ad then you can with a simple watermark on the screen for 60secs like was previously stated.

It's like some of you just want to be confrontational just for the sake of being confrontational.

DongBeetle

Oct 25, 2017
Of course I'd be pissed if they stopped a movie I paid for at the climax to play an ad. Most normal people would be.

That doesn't prove anything though. That doesn't mean I don't care about climate change. I drove a Prius for years and recently switched to a Corolla hybrid. I recycle. I do loads of other small things that I know help a little. Because I know if we all do a bunch of little things it can have a bigger impact.

Intentionally inconveniencing people by deflating their tires, smearing shit all over a priceless painting that some people traveled from across the world to see, or interrupting their movies during the climax does not achieve anything other than pissing people off. You can get the message across much easier and much more educationally in the way that I described with a well put together ad then you can with a simple watermark on the screen for 60secs like was previously stated.

It's like some of you just want to be confrontational just for the sake of being confrontational.
You driving a Prius isn't doing jack shit to stop the upcoming catastrophe. That's why people are protesting. This is coming from a fellow Prius owner. Your 30 bucks for a movie isn't more important than the lives of countless

Coyote Starrk

The Fallen
Oct 30, 2017
You driving a Prius isn't doing jack shit to stop the upcoming catastrophe. That's why people are protesting. This is coming from a fellow Prius owner. Your 30 bucks for a movie isn't more important than the lives of countless
Driving fuel efficient vehicles do nothing to help? Really? Recycling doesn't help either?

Yeah I'm out. I'm not going to deal with this kind of nonsense on a Saturday night. It's too over the top in here.

LumberPanda

Feb 3, 2019
if you're going to act like an asshole and interrupt an event that millions of people who paid a lot of money to enjoy, which is also not on public property that you have no right to enter

fuck whatever your cause is
GgFZwjL.jpg

Hasseigaku

Oct 30, 2017
it shouldn't be controversial to say that we should prioritize peoples lives over our leisure but yet here we are

clmartin

Banned
Apr 1, 2022

Again, this is my point.

Why is interrupting a grand slam semi final fine, but interrupting your movie is going too far?

DongBeetle

Oct 25, 2017
Driving fuel efficient vehicles do nothing to help? Really? Recycling doesn't help either?

Yeah I'm out. I'm not going to deal with this kind of nonsense on a Saturday night. It's too over the top in here.
It doesn't help because it clearly isn't making a dent. Yet you draw the line at multimillion dollar consumer events. Like that isn't the issue

Supha_Volt

Nov 3, 2017
With some of the replies you would have thought Nana Ruth was in attendance at this event… Good on her for drawing attention to it as it's a real threat that gets downplayed in a multitude of ways

Coyote Starrk

The Fallen
Oct 30, 2017
Again, this is my point.

Why is interrupting a grand slam semi final fine, but interrupting your movie is going too far?
Because fans interrupt sporting events all the time?

Drunk fans run onto the field during football games and baseball games. NHL fans sometimes throw crap onto the ice and they have to stop the game. This stuff happens a lot and as someone who watches a lot of sports I am used to it.

At least this time it was for a good cause.

Jun 22, 2019
The reason climate change isn't taken seriously is because people are more worried about their distractions having interruptions than climate change. It's quite simple.

Last_colossi

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Australia
As far as I can tell no one was hurt, she didn't abuse anyone & it only interrupted the game for 15min. So I have zero problems with this.

DongBeetle

Oct 25, 2017
Don't be dishonest about how you portray my response. I'm not chuckling at the problem. I'm chuckling at the absolute dipshit attempt at bringing attention to it. This just adds to why it's not taken seriously, and the disingenuous way you try to argue about it doesn't help.
Yeah how dare someone try and bring attention to a problem like this during a consumer event where people are GASP spending money. God fuck lol

Kyuuji

The Favonius Fox
Nov 8, 2017
i believe there's climate change but honestly i'm too ignorant to know how severe it really is and where to find the right information, and I think this is true for the average person as well..which is why there's no sense of urgency (if there even should be). and maybe I'm just pessimistic but I also think there's a lot of researchers atm whose main goal is basically self-preservation and getting more funding -- so they tend to be biased towards looking for data which supports the argument for climate change being an existential crisis.
How are you too ignorant to know where to find information on climate change when, I assume, you're competent enough in using the internet to know how to operate a search engine. This screams of laziness and wilful ignorance as opposed to an actual issue of not knowing where the information is. Especially when it has a thick layer of conspiracy applied.

Amnesty

Nov 7, 2017
I love watching Tennis and when I saw this I just thought 'Hell yeah do it'. During a big game is as good a time as any.