• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Aaronrules380

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Honestly at the end of the day what this ultimately tells me is that we (as in white people and or any other group in power in other places in the world) need to work way harder to create a system that accomodates everyone where people no longer feel like they can't rely on the law to act in their best interests. We need to make a world where everyone would feel, justifiably, comfortable going to law enforcement to handle an issue like this instead of feeling like they have no options. A lot of this issue could be avoided if the guy could've been comfortable calling the police to handle the issue properly and not turn it on him.

Coyote Zamora

alt account
Banned
Jul 19, 2019
I get that. I just don't think that's an emotional response like this is ever good justification for hurting someone. And we should absolutely shame the racist women. She is absolutely not a blameless victim in this. The only reason I'm personally (since I can't speak for anyone else in this thread) discussing the guy more is because more people are acting as if he did nothing wrong. What he did was understandable, far more so than what the woman did. That doesn't mean it should be celebrated.
Why do you think shame of all things is some sort of weapon. Most adults are fine with shame, shame is fleeting. Shame carries no lasting weight with racists.

Alice

Banned
Nov 2, 2017
"It's just words!" - people who never I'm their life had to endure any sort of oppression.

Minx

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Illinois
You are trying too hard here. It's also racist to ask why other minorities weren't being represented as much as another minority in a thread topic about certain minorities not being represented?

Jmanunknown

Oct 26, 2017
What she said was awful, but what he did was life threatening, and that's a HUGE difference. Also, him doing that just fed into her belief about black people. Imagine if he sat down with her and talked about why she feels that way, it would be a major long shot, but maybe he could have made her see things just a little bit different? Naivety maybe, but I do know body slamming her definitely didn't make her see the light.
Why should it be on the oppressed to sit down and try to reason with their oppressor?

It was the fantasy, or dream if you will, of Martin Luther King Jr. as I recall.

You know let me ask you a question what do you think the fantasy or dream of Martin Luther King Jr got him in the end? Do you think he would think it was worth the constant hatred and harassment he got by both the people and government. Not to mention he was ultimately killed by a racist white person so it looks like that sitting down and talking it out shit did not work out for him. Also you fail to realize that for their to be actual dialogue the racist person would have to be willing to listen.

Nov 1, 2017
People literally praising a grown man body slamming a grandma into the concrete. OK ERA. Both parties acted liked pieces of shit and neither should be defended, let alone praised.
You constantly get mad at people critical about assholes in your profession and try to liken police to protected classes of people discriminated against because of how they were born. One that has multiple examples of grown men bodyslamming children and grandparents alike so I don't think most of the black people in this topic are hurt that you're disappointed in their reactions no matter what their view on the incident is.
Because it's a narrative that makes it safe to be racist filth.
It's not fair if you have the instructor's edition.

The Adder

Oct 25, 2017
Honestly at the end of the day what this ultimately tells me is that we (as in white people and or any other group in power in other places in the world) need to work way harder to create a system that accomodates everyone where people no longer feel like they can't rely on the law to act in their best interests. We need to make a world where everyone would feel, justifiably, comfortable going to law enforcement to handle an issue like this instead of feeling like they have no options. A lot of this issue could be avoided if the guy could've been comfortable calling the police to handle the issue properly and not turn it on him.
This is a reasonable post. Thank you.

Aaronrules380

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Why do you think shame of all things is some sort of weapon. Most adults are fine with shame, shame is fleeting. Shame carries no lasting weight with racists.
That's fair. We should ideally have systems in place to deal with these things in an impartial manner like proper hate speech laws. Unfortunately we definitely don't right now. I'm not sure what the solution is. We definitely need to work towards better laws and justice system reform, but those are ultimately long term goals and we do need short term solutions too. I'm honestly not sure what those should be, I really wish I was.

skillzilla81

Self-requested temporary ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017

It begins before that. This woman is obviously comfortable hurling around that word. It's not the first or last time she'll use it. She's used it in front of family. She's used it in front of friends. None of them abandoned her. None of them have challenged her to the point where she's had to question how she acts. At most, she's just, "Aunt Susan" or something, who sometimes says racist stuff, but she's not racist, she's actually really nice and wouldn't hurt anybody. They'll have her around for holidays, and just not bring up how racist she is because it's uncomfortable to talk about.

It was the fantasy, or dream if you will, of Martin Luther King Jr. as I recall.

Can't dream when you're dead.

The only fantasies now are MLK's family wishing he'd had more time with them, I imagine.

Mr. RPG

Oct 25, 2017
So did anyone figure out the better ways to go about this or..?

Maybe by not assaulting people?

I completely agree. Great post.

Aaronrules380

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
It begins before that. This woman is obviously comfortable hurling around that word. It's not the first or last time she'll use it. She's used it in front of family. She's used it in front of friends. None of them abandoned her. None of them have challenged her to the point where she's had to question how she acts. At most, she's just, "Aunt Susan" or something, who sometimes says racist stuff, but she's not racist, she's actually really nice and wouldn't hurt anybody. They'll have her around for holidays, and just not bring up how racist she is because it's uncomfortable to talk about.
I agree. But unfortunately I have no power over this women's family and friends, and most of those people are probably pieces of shit as well. I ultimately am trying to think of things I can personally help work towards, so in this case I'm powerless in that aspect

The Adder

Oct 25, 2017
Shit, man, if I could get a consistent "throw their asses in jail for a while for being racist filth" I'd be okay sparing white folks from uncomfortable familial confrontations in exchange.

Oct 31, 2017
You are trying too hard here. It's also racist to ask why other minorities weren't being represented as much as another minority in a thread topic about certain minorities not being represented?

Lmao! That topic was about Hispanic representation. Your first post in that topic was a post being "concerned" about "disproportionate" black representation on a game show. Seems like this isn't the first time someone has pulled up old quotes to point out your diet racism, either.

TheMango55

Banned
Nov 1, 2017
So did anyone figure out the better ways to go about this or..?

I mean I feel like there's a few steps between "Sit there and take it" and "Go to jail"

I leave it up to each individual to decide the best way, but if you think it's worth him going to jail for, then that's totally up to you.

Again I don't have any sympathy for this lady, but the rule of law is important. You can't just have people dishing out whatever punishment they think is appropriate to other people.

Deleted member 18944

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I ultimately am trying to think of things I can personally help work towards, so in this case I'm powerless in that aspect

Fuckin call your nan out at thanksgiving my dude. We gotta hold white people accountable.

Just about any other way > violence

Anyways I really have to go to bed sorry we couldn't discuss in further detail. You can PM me if you want.

Nah I'm gonna keep the discussion here because it's my feeling you don't have any alternatives and are just copping out.

Wedginald

Oct 27, 2017
Canada
Lol, that was a pretty damn brutal body slam onto that hard pavement, but someone uttering that racist garbage gets no sympathy from me. Just sucks that he will probably be feeling the repercussions of that for a long time, all because some stupid lady thought she could say racist things with no consequences.

Coyote Zamora

alt account
Banned
Jul 19, 2019
That's fair. We should ideally have systems in place to deal with these things in an impartial manner like proper hate speech laws. Unfortunately we definitely don't right now. I'm not sure what the solution is. We definitely need to work towards better laws and justice system reform, but those are ultimately long term goals and we do need short term solutions too. I'm honestly not sure what those should be, I really wish I was.
You know what makes people come up with alternatives...violence, pain, loss. those things make people think that perhaps we should talk about their concerns. Because 400+ yeas of talk and marching and sit-ins hasn't changed much.

Fairy Godmother

Backward compatible
Oct 27, 2017
This thread has devolved into hostility and personal insults. As such, the thread will be closed and its posts will be reviewed.

Status
Not open for further replies.