• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

adj_noun

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
A woman died falling into the Grand Canyon while taking photos on Friday, officials said.

Her body was recovered on Saturday 100 feet below the rim.

Maria Salgado Lopez, 59, of Scottsdale, Arizona, was with her family west of Mather Point on the South Rim while she was taking photos and accidentally stepped off the edge of the canyon, the national park said in a statement.

The woman was hiking off the designated path at the time, officials said.

"Grand Canyon National Park staff encourage all visitors to have a safe visit this holiday weekend by staying on designated trails and walkways, always keeping a safe distance from the edge of the rim, and staying behind railings and fences at overlooks," the park said in a statement.

Downhome

Oct 27, 2017
User Banned (3 Days): Inappropriate Joke
I'm going to fully admit that I clicked this thread hoping it included pictures that she took as she was literally falling.

WetWaffle

Oct 25, 2017
Just thinking about it is nightmarish, imagine witnessing it. Hope her family get help. RIP

Marshall

Oct 27, 2017
Two people fell to their deaths the week we were ther last year. One was a selfie, the other was a guy who attempted to jump over to a big rock or something to take a sweet pic. Gotta get them pics!

Deleted member 8257

Oct 26, 2017
RIP, sad way to go.

I have never been to Grand Canyon - is there no fencing, or the Park Staff around, especially around steep areas?

Eros

Oct 27, 2017
rip

I havent been to the Grand Canyon yet but this would be a fear of mine

CNoodles

Banned
Mar 7, 2019
U would think at 60 years old you would have enough life experience to know not to get too close to the edge. Got to be a bad way to go.

pezzie

Oct 27, 2017
I remember when I went to the Grand Canyon. Lots of areas with no fencing. I thought about getting closer for better photos but decided "nah that'd be dumb".

Glad I listened to my inner voice!

Brinbe

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Terana
That's always my fear and nightmare walking near edge cliffs or high places without security. What an awful way to go.

asmith906

Oct 27, 2017
I heard this happens fairly often. I have no idea why people get up to the edge. I'm terrified of heights.

NeoGold123

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
RIP, sad way to go.

I have never been to Grand Canyon - is there no fencing, or the Park Staff around, especially around steep areas?

The overlooks on the rim are not fenced, you can walk right up to the edge. I stayed about 5 feet back and that was close enough for me, I can't imagine getting to the very edge. It's a MASSIVE drop, at least where we were.

Seductivpancakes

user requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Brooklyn
Oct 27, 2017
I'm going to fully admit that I clicked this thread hoping it included pictures that she took as she was literally falling.

A former coworker of mine used to be a tour guide in the Grand Canyon and said it happens all the time. Obviously, it happens when people go off the trail but he said it was actually common to fall when trying to return to the main path. I'm guessing the slope or terrain makes the return journey much harder and people unfamiliar with the area don't realize it until they're stuck.

Mollymauk

Oct 27, 2017
That kind of week in the national parks I guess

www.nbcnews.com

Woman gored by bison at Yellowstone after getting too close for photos

The woman was gored after she "approached within 10 feet of a bison multiple times to take its photo," the park service said.
I grew up close to here, and this sort of thing happened frequently. Not many people would get killed from it though. Bison just want their personal space, and after they toss someone they get it.

Deleted member 24118

User requested account closure
Oct 29, 2017
RIP, sad way to go.

Not for most of it.

bV0Gp4C.jpg

There are some fences though.

y0x1gGF.jpg

Dre3001

Oct 28, 2017
I went two years ago and was shocked at how many people who sit or stand on the edge of the rim to get a photo. Just hiking down into the canyon terrified me due to how narrow the path was.

RIP to the woman, absolutely horrifying to even think about

Deleted member 24118

User requested account closure
Oct 29, 2017
Incidentally, last time I was there I met some ranger-type guys. I asked if they were search and rescue, and they laughed sadly and said body recovery. 😬

Inquisitive_Ghost

Cranky Ghost Pokemon
Oct 26, 2017
Every year every cliff edge, waterfall, and other similar place that has a ton of signage warning people to not get too close still has people dying in completely stupid and preventable ways.

The designated areas are there for your protection, people. If you wander off them you could be the next one of those deaths.

Phife Dawg

Oct 27, 2017
RIP

First time I went I thought it was crazy that you can just walk to the rim most of the time. The more advanced hiking trails into the canyon are also very steep, narrow and have no rails/fencing, same in Yosemite. There are some legit dangerous parts and you see people with kids all the time.

Bog

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
We went last year, and there's very little stopping you from going anywhere you want.

gilded_Pb

Oct 27, 2017
When I visited the US a few years ago and went to the Grand Canyon, I was sweating bullets seeing the stuff people did to get a selfie.

HiLife

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
That's such a stupid and horrible thing to happen. Condolences to the family but please abide to the signs. This happens way too often at these national parks.

mbpm

Oct 25, 2017
I visited the Grand Canyon for the first time about 2- 3 summers ago.

Man, the vertigo hit me like nothing else and I had to retreat from the edge and sit way back.

They had trails you could keep going though past the edge, and it felt like there was limited if any guard railing in those areas. Didn't know why. Definitely didn't go down those.

mhayes86

Oct 27, 2017
Maryland
That's awful. The Grand Canyon is beautiful and a sight to behold (I've been there in the summer and winter), and it's stressful witnessing the risks some people take there. The fencing only goes so far, so you need to pay attention where you walk, especially during the winter.

Conciliator

Oct 25, 2017
This is one of those things that I sometimes think about too hard when I'm about to fall asleep and then I get jolted awake

The one in particular that kind of fucks with me was actually like a year or two ago and it was a college-aged girl, but I think a pretty similar story to this one.

Not the way I'd like to go.